PM to join [Riverfall Beach] A Run And A Spar (Vypec)

Two new friends get together to work out.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

[Riverfall Beach] A Run And A Spar (Vypec)

Postby Kavala on February 27th, 2016, 6:49 pm

Late Winter, 515 AV

Kavala got up that morning looking forward to the day. It was a sanctioned day away from the chaos of The Sanctuary where she had no appointments and was just on emergency call if anyone could find her. With a cleared schedule and the children with their respective Akalak grandparents for an overnight two day stay, her time was her own to do what she wanted. And today, rather than work, Kavala wanted to train. It had been a long time since she’d actually scheduled a spar with someone else, let alone a run. And over the course of dealing with the Kuvay’Nas over the duel, the Konti had decided to get to know him better and perhaps start training with him.

It was rare she found someone who wasn’t human to train with. People mistakenly thought Konti were frail. And while they were smaller and lighter than the Akalak, the Akalak themselves forgot that often those the Konti needed to fight were bigger and stronger as well. The standard treatment of women in Riverfall often got in the Konti’s way of finding a decent partner. She was fast, far quicker than most Akalak, but she wasn’t stronger and they often pulled punches to avoid hurting her. That did her no favors in the long run while she was training.

Kavala was on par physically with any human woman. It was just her Konti blood that made her look so young and fragile. Her kind never aged beyond looking like human in her late teens. The Healer believed it was a defense mechanism with the Konti who were not often trained in physical combat unless it was with Suvai. And growing up, Kavala had no access to Suvai so it wasn’t a weapon she was familiar with. They weren’t easily found on the Sea of Grass nor where they often purchased in a market. Even if she had one, she wouldn’t’ know what to do with it, even though it was a poisonous weapon to almost every creature it touched besides the Konti.

Instead, Kavala had daggers and a double bladed longsword that gave her a reach her arms could not.

So to warm up she’d arranged to meet Vypec for a run down the beach and later he’d promised they could do some sparring with preferred weapons and perhaps even some unarmed combat. She was glad he’d been open to the idea and agreed to meet her. Half of her suspected he was just repaying the favor she’d done him stepping into the midst of the duel to help out when he was without his squad. She hoped that wasn’t the case. But if it was, she’d definitely try and change his mind throughout the course of their run and sparring. Kavala wanted an honest partner, someone who wouldn’t pull punches and would understand how important it was for her to be able to train with someone at full strength.

As she lightly and slowly jogged to the meeting point, Kavala reflected on Vypec. She hadn’t met his brother yet, but then there was little time in the market during the fight breakup. He was a tall Akalak, attractive, and definitely fit. He was employed at a job he obviously took seriously. And he also seemed to be not as arrogant as some of the Akalaks could be towards women. Kavala thought he was attractive as well, with his shorn hair and mohawk that turned into a long pony tail. It had been a long time since she’d agreed to meet with anyone, let alone to spar with them, and she was nervous that he’d find her company lacking. For some reason it was important to her to impress him. Maybe it was just that she wanted to be taken seriously by at least one Akalak in her life. The grandparents of her children, for example, were always trying to find ways to remove the children from her presence full time and raise them themselves. They’d used every argument in the book – she wasn’t Akalak, their fathers were dead, that’s what their fathers would want – etc. Maybe if she was seen training with an Akalak male, they would relax a little and not suspect their descendants of being poisoned by Konti teaching as much as they accused.

Kavala glanced down at her attire as she slowly jogged to the meeting spot. She was barefoot since they were going to run the beach and find someplace to spar there. But she had boots and gloves as well as light armor tucked into a backpack she wore strapped to her back. Her tamo daggers, a set of wooden training daggers, and her double bladed sword was strapped to the outside of the pack. A set of fighting leathers was rolled up in the backpack as well. She hoped Vypec wouldn’t mind if she changed before they sparred. She trusted herself, but she had no idea how good of a fighter he was and she didn’t want to not fight without the protection of leather if they were using swords or daggers that weren’t blunted. In terms of clothing she wore cotton leggings that were best used for running that hugged her form and showed off her lithe muscled form. Kavala was very fit. And not only was she fit, but she trained for muscle strength too so her muscles were defined. Most men liked their women softer, but Kavala didn’t think soft equaled safe. And the Konti knew most Akalak didn’t approve.

Her leggings were black and matched the black halter top that gave her modesty and support for jogging. The halter top flattened her breasts slightly and defined her shoulders and left her mid-drift and arms bare. She had a flat stomach despite the children and defined abs frankly from all the work she did around her business. Kavala had finished the look with a silver arm band on one arm that matched the small opal earrings she wore in her earlobes. Her translucent white hair was caught up in a ponytail that made her look even younger.

Kavala was flushed with excitement. She loved running and she loved sparring. She hoped Vypec would prove to be a good partner. She already knew he was easy on the eyes to look at. And even better than that she had caught glimpses of depth and warmth to his gaze that made her think he might even be something of an intellect or have a sense of humor that would make the outing more interesting. Absently she wondered if he had a partner or a nakivak. Most likely he did. Men like him didn’t remain alone long.

Disappointment flared through her a moment and then she wondered where that thought had come from. She had to remind herself this wasn’t a date like that. She hadn’t had one of those in years. Vypec wasn’t going to take her home and this wasn’t going to be the beginning of something bigger. Her mind flashed to her boldness at the duel where she’d healed him almost inappropriately. A smile played across her face. Healers weren’t supposed to notice things like the size and shape beneath their hands but she hadn’t been able to help it. They’d talk as they ran and maybe she’d learn more. The rest, for now, was just speculation. Who knew? Maybe he would not be opposed to something more than a spar. Kavala always loved how she felt when she got warmed up and fought. It often lead to other things. Maybe Vypec wouldn’t be opposed. Then again, maybe ten chimes in his company running would have her wanting to run the other way rather than speculating on if he was a good lover or not. The Konti laughed at herself. It had been too long for sure. Shaking her head, she put the thought out of her mind and got back to business.
She arrived at the appointed meeting spot on the beach north of Riverfall early… and began to stretch. Kavala knew enough about running to start out with a 5- to 10-minute jog followed by stretching. The warmup happened getting to the spot to meet Vypec, so she began stretching by working the quadriceps, hamstrings, gluteals and hip flexors. She moved so she could also warm up the abdominal, back and calf muscles.

If Vypec arrived before she started, he could join her.

Kavala started with walking lunges. She stood with her feet together and took a long step forward with her right foot. She bent it at the front knee to 90 degrees and the back knee until it almost touched the sand. She held it there for a few ticks and then she worked to straighten the back leg so she feel a stretch through the front of her left thigh. Then, she rose up and took a big step forward with her left knee to get the stretch on her left side. She did ten lunges on both sides before she moved on.

The next stretch she did was a kneeling hip flexor stretch. Kavala started in a lunge position with her front knee at 90 degrees. She began to straighten her back leg, so she could feel a stretch along the front of her back thigh. Keep her front knee aligned over her toes, she then raised arms up over her head and held the position for a few seconds before she released it. She never truly stopped, keeping the stretch in a dynamic motion, shifting forward as she could raise her arms up, then lower her arms as she came back to the starting position. She repeated this five times then switched her side.

Kavala moved into quick side stretches. She brought her arms up over her head, keeping her abdominals tight. Then she leaned to the right and then to the left, bending at the waist to stretch. She smiled as she did this, loving the feeling of being alive in that moment.

Almost done now Kavala moved on to the next stretch. The dynamic pigeon pose was trickier, but now that most of her muscles were stretched and warm it was easier. This was a pose that was designed to stretch her glutes and the iliotibial, or IT, band that ran along the outer thigh. Kavala loved this pose. She folded her right knee in front of her in the sand so her knee was pointing out to the right slightly and the outside of her thigh and shin are on the sand as well. She extended her left leg behind her, keeping her leg straight and the top of her thigh, shin and foot on the ground. It almost looked like a worship pose, as if she were offering herself to some deity. The Konti grinned as she moved into the position, the grin turning into a groan as her muscles reacted and her IT band pulled. She made sure her hips stayed level and then she twisted her torso, gently. She brought her right hand up behind her right ear and then twisted to the left so her elbow came across her body. She repeated this motion several times before she switched sides and did it from the opposite direction. She did five reps each and then finally moved into the last stretch.

Hip circles required her to stand up and she did so, stretching down to touch her toes lightly a few times before she actually got into the circles. Her hips took the pressure of her body as she ran, so it was always important to open up the joints and muscles before she took off running in more than a light jog. She stood with her hands on her hips and her feet hip width apart. She circled in one direction, rotating her hips first one way then the other. She worked in small circles then opened them into wider and wider circles before switching directions. Then she was able to swing back and forth, front to back and side to side in long dramatic sweeps almost like a dancer before she was satisfied the joints were loose enough.

A few stork stretches where she hiked her leg up and pulled it backwards until her foot almost touched her rump, several calf raises where she rose up on her heels, and another set of lunges had her ready to go. She smiled and wondered if Vypec was equally prepared now.

2085/39493
The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Vypec on March 6th, 2016, 11:25 pm

Vypec loped through Riverfall with an easy gait. He clutched the gladius in sheath in one hand, opting for a faster run unhindered by the weapon flapping against his side. The Akalak luxuriated in the freedom of movement and the smell of the Suvan wafting over his city. He was nervous about the coming meeting. The Konti Kavala had been instrumental in clearing up the mess with those damn humans and their puppies. She had been quite agreeable as well, enough to make him want to keep in contact. They had agreed to some exercise on the beach. Vypec was looking forward to it. It was rare that he found a woman willing to keep up with the rigors of Akalak training. Though her body was like silk and velvet, lithe and beautiful, Vypec felt her soul was more akin to iron. No one took a punch like that who didn't have some iron. Vypec respected that.

Vypec felt himself working up a sweat as he ran down to the beachhead. His thin linen shirt was soaking through a bit at the chest. Vypec wore his usual casual garb, unadorned with frivolities or color. He had, for the first time in a long time, thought about his appearance before setting out. Vypal had tormented him for that moment of self-criticism endlessly on the run down here. He was adamantly against sparring with the Konti. The dark brother had pestered Vypec about being too trusting with the stranger. He was astoundingly stubborn when it came to the stinginess with which he bestowed trust, saving it only for those whose thoughts he could examine in depth, which consisted of Vypec singularly.

But his brothers' complete lack of faith in the rest of the world would not keep Vypec from making friends. They would need to trust their fellow Kavran, their brothers and sisters in arms. And Vypec had already trust Kavala with more than a morning exercise. She had protected his back when naked blades were involved...

Oh I'm sure it's naked blades you're thinking of. Vypal drawled. The humor in his voice was vile and forced. Vypec tried to understand what was bringing this on. The dark brother never trusted anyone, but this was a more active mistrust than his usual passive disdain.

You really don't like her, huh? Why? Vypec asked.

She is a minx, trying to steal your wits away and tie you down to her purposes! The dark soul spat vehemently. Vypec sensed genuine worry in the fork-tongued Akalak's words. It was like trying to discern a diamond in mud. Vypal, for all his subtle thinking and lack of trust, was never a great liar.

I believe the word you're looking for is friend, brother. Vypec said as they rounded a final corner to find Kavala already in her workout. The Konti's leathers shone in the Wintery sunlight, and Vypec resisted hailing her in greeting for a few seconds. He watched as she leant to the side in her stretches. He may speak to them, but he was no shadow. Not for a while now. So he hailed her before she heard him sneaking. "Kavala, I see you have started without me. It's a good day for it." He added, glancing up at the sky. The pale blue of the sky hinted at the Spring to come, and in Vypec's opinion it would never come soon enough.

The Akalak smiled once more at Kavala and set down his weapon. He kept the Lakan sheathed at the small of his back, but pulled the linen shirt over his head. Vypec grunted with the effort of matching her stretches. His muscles complained, stiff and unwieldy today after a few days of hard punishment in the Sasaran. Vypec tried not to show the discomfort as he followed her lead. Vypec found his eyes wandering as they stretched. He looked at her, of course, for cues as to when to switch stretches... And she was very good at those stretches.

You disgust me. Vypal said, his voice dripping with theatrical loathing.

Vypec ignored him. He turned his attention, instead, to the morning ahead of them. "I brought my sword and Lakan, though I do not own any sparring weapons. The last one I had broke against another in the Sasaran and I have not replaced it. I'd be happy to spar with whatever means you'd like, Kavala." He said as he fell into a forward plank. Vypec strained to keep breathing while the weight pressed down upon his pelvis and abs. He held the position for nearly half a chime before he could not any longer and fell to the ground, panting. The Akalak let himself rest for a few seconds before repeating this procedure twice more. "I fear I may not be as much of a challenge as you may be used to." I am not yet even able to master Onmakarux combat, let alone Dimakarux swordsmanship. The words never reached his lips though. Even that bit of truth burned at him.

Admitting weakness, a bold play for her affections, Vypec. I do see it working out oh so well. Vypal said.
Vypec
Night Stalker

Words: 156592
Joined roleplay: January 21st, 2016, 6:49 pm
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Kavala on March 7th, 2016, 7:15 am

Kavala was glad the Akalak was able to join her for her stretches. She’d also set her gear bag aside. It contained her fighting leathers, boots, and the rest of the light armor and tamo daggers she carried. Her running clothing was light, flexible, and left her able to move on the beach.

She nodded to Vypec as he approached and greeted her.

Kavala had to agree with his comment about it being a good day to run and spar. “I’m surprised about the weather. Usually this time of year we get rain. It’s a welcome change.” She said, suddenly nervous and feeling self-conscious. Was this really a good idea? These men were virtual strangers to her, but she was indeed willing to take a chance and maybe earn a friend.

Kavala continued her warm-up routine and faltered only when the Kuvay’Nas stripped off his linen shirt and bared his torso. He was fit in a way she hadn’t seen in a while. The man was bulky and topped her by a good two feet. Truthfully she felt like a child beside him, though his body looked to lack the mileage hers had. She swallowed then, pausing in her stretching, to speak.

“I want to thank you for coming… for agreeing to train with me. I know it’s just a run and a spar on the beach, but I’ve been training by myself for a while now and I cannot tell you how nice it is to have someone to agree to join me. I have tried the Sassarans, but often they pull punches or see a Konti and think we are frail.” She knew how it looked, her being smaller, lighter and lither than he was. But that didn’t mean she couldn’t fight. The Konti smiled. “I think the Akalak forget sometimes that the enemies can be smaller and meaner as well.” And with that she finished the routine and paused long enough to listen to him speak.

She nodded as he listed his weapons. “I brought my double bladed longsword. It will almost make it a fair fight against your Gladius and your reach. It’s a newer weapon for me, but I’m competent. I can also test my tamos against your lakan. I rarely see Akalak fight with them, but it’s a thing of beauty when I do.” She added, laughing lightly. She stood up, shook out her arms and legs, and nodded at him having problems with the last of the stretches.

“Core strength isn’t hard to work on. There’ a lot of activities we can do that will help you stretch better and limber up. I’ve noticed many of you Akalak can really move, but sometimes you bulk up so much you lose flexibility. I can help with that. And you can help me with dealing with fighting opponents bigger and with more brute strength.” She added, taking a moment to run her hands under the lower portion of her halter top to adjust it where it stretched across her bare midriff and then repeated the process with her light cotton running leggings. “I brought my fighting leathers in my backpack and some light armor in case we weren’t using sparring weapons. Live steel is fine. We’ll just be careful and I know a healer nearby if anything happens.” She said with a grin then carefully picked up their things and jogged lightly up to where the sand met the cliff.

“I’ll be right back. We don’t want to run with this gear do we?” She said, calling over her shoulder.

It was obvious she was stashing the gear and weapons and then carefully erased her tracks as she came back down to the hard sand where they had been stretching. When she returned she grinned and gestured down the beach. “North or south? Your choice.” She said, getting ready to start the long training run she’d planned with him. Running would be harder on him than it would be on her, but the roles would be reversed when it came to the combat later.

“I have waterskins for when we are done. I brought icey well water infused with the juice of apples and pears.” She said, hoping that was appropriate. Once he’d made his directional selection, Kavala started out jogging. She let him set the pace and then she lengthened her stride to keep up with his longer one. It took a few awkward moments but within ten chimes they were settled into their run.

Kavala wasn’t winded enough not to talk so she decided to ask him a few questions. “You know you introduced yourself, Vypec, but not your dark brother. “ She said, not sure if she should ask for an introduction or if she should let him remain silent on it. The words tumbled out before she knew it. “What’s his name if you don’t mind me asking?” Kavala said curiously. She knew without a doubt not only was she here with Vypec but she was here with the other man and she’d very much like to know who he was.

They laid footprints on the virgin sand, Kavala’s barely making a dent and Vypec’s the long heavy stride of an obvious Akalak foot. The wind off the ocean was salty and refreshing and the clouds parted further to reveal sun that caused Kavala’s scales to shimmer. She had whirled patterns down her arms, across her face, and down her throat. Even her navel had a whorl of scales surrounding it. The webbing on her toes was evident as she lightly ran through the sand, only coming up to the first knuckle of each toe. Her hand webbing was identical though she had her fist balled and her arms tucked into her side. The Konti jogged easily but with her sense of center chambered and controlled.

“You know… we could play a game as we run. A get to know you game… one of questions.” She suggested after he answered her first question. “A question for a question. You ask me anything… and then I get to ask you anything. The rules would be simple. You can’t lie. You can’t ask the same question back at a person that they asked you – you must wait a few rounds – and you have to answer without hesitation. What do you think?” She asked, darting to the right for a moment to jump a large pile of flotsam that had just seemingly washed ashore.

The Konti took a deep breath, let it out, and inhaled deeply again. She was trying hard to control her breathing and to regulate her heart rate. She was feeling good, her body warmed up, and Kavala hoped her new Akalak friend was feeling the same way.
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Vypec on March 9th, 2016, 10:39 pm

Vypal stirred within him, clearly uncomfortable with the Konti's focus on him. It was rare that he was so actively pursued. Vypec himself was considered by some of his closest relations to be dark, and they often avoided addressing Vypal because of this. If the light brother was such an oddity, such a morose, what then was the dark brother in comparison. But in reality they had been together for so long that both had affected the other. Both had good and bad, light and dark, known and hidden.

Don't tell her about me. Vypal said quickly after her initial inquiry. The firmness in his voice making Vypec silent for a long moment as they ran. The only sound was their breath, his much heavier than hers, and the thump of feet on sand. Vypec was having a much harder time with the running than she was. He thought on her question, knowing it was normal for someone of Rivarian descent to be curious about the other brother. It was common amongst the humans in Riverfall, and any frequent visitor, to want to show the same interest in both souls of an Akalak, so as not to offend the delicate balance between.

"My brother's name is Vypal." He said awkwardly, his words clipping off after giving Vypal's name as the dark brother's anger surged. They struggled for prominence as they ran. It was all Vypec could do to remain in control whilst keeping up. Sand flew up rhythmically behind them as his long strides matched roughly the shorter ones of the Konti. He came back to focus as Kavala was explaining the game.

The prospect of losing the protection of lies unnerved Vypec. Though Vypal was the one who never trusted, never had faith in others, he was the one who more readily told the truth. Vypal's truths were often hard and biting, but they were not false. It was this fear of those truths that made Vypec lose his grip on their body, and pulled Vypal forward to prominence. The Akalak stretched his gait out, pulling forward for a moment in his joy at being in control.

We both know you wouldn't be able to handle this game anyway. Vypal said to his brother, now thrust back into the recesses of their shared existence.

But you're the one who has no taste for it! Vypec snarled, thrashing against his mental prison. Vypal ignored him, emboldened and strengthened by the power of his own confidence over the hesitation of his brother. Their balance was usually maintained well, but the shifting was a moment of surging emotion and sensation that left both souls raw worth residual feeling. In the moments after the change their words hurt more, their pain stung sharper, and their fears were more real.

Vypal felt sweat, glorious and cooling, coating his scalp and his chest now. He thrilled in the physical exertion of the run. The Akalak slowed to job next to the Konti a moment after taking control. He turned and gave the quickest flash of white teeth inside an almost genuine grin. "Okay, I'll play your game, Kav." He used the pet name without thought, committing to the false play at intimacy. Vypal was one who could act close while maintaining distance, hide his solitude behind the shadow of commitment. A master of social seclusion amidst the masses. "I've told you my name, and now I ask a question."

Vypec raged against his mind. Vypal had no idea what he had been expecting. The Akalak wanted to befriend this Konti, but didn't want to make himself vulnerable? Vypal would take over and rescue them from his brother's aimless direction. There was a pause as he thought up a question. The Akalak side stepped a protruding rock, gazing up at the city arrayed along the cliffside above them. "How long have you lived in Riverfall?" He asked, deciding to start out by luring Kavala in with simple questions.

Vypal listened intently while they ran along the beach, his curiosity becoming evoked by this unique Konti.

You will damn us, Vypal. Vypec's frustration thickened the strain on his words. They were almost more than just in Vypal's mind, they were almost palpable. You have little experience in social settings.

I am able to handle people, Vypec. Besides, you are the one who trusts her. Better a critical and wise hound than a wide-eyed pup to see this little game through. Vypal said. He wasn't sure of the intentions of the Konti, but the idea of relinquishing some facet of weakness to her was enough to wrestle control from Vypec.
Vypec
Night Stalker

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Kavala on November 3rd, 2016, 4:35 am

Kavala was unaware of the struggle within Vypec with this brother Vypal. Vypal. The other soul had a name. The healer wondered if she’d ever encountered him, interacted with him, or if he was just a silent witness to his brother’s life. Kavala knew that sometimes the Akalak slipped between the two souls easily and sometimes a darker presence lurked. She wasn’t sure which Vypec had within him, but she hoped to find out.

Kavala kept pace with Vypec easily. She was confident in her running, often taking the dogs out on the beach for a jog or running alongside young horses for bells as she worked them in the arena. Her breath came easily and Vypec didn’t push them past an easy pace that would do nothing more than keep them limber and work on their endurance. Her feet lightly slapped the sand, barely touching it before springing back into the air. She felt good. And she wondered if it was because she’d anticipated her companion being good company as well.

When he spoke, Kavala turned her head slightly raising an eyebrow. The dual souls rarely realized the mistakes they made when they switched control, but there was tale tells. Vypal just gave one up when he said that he’d just told her HIS name. His… meaning this wasn’t Vypec anymore. Had it been Vypec he’d likely have said ‘his brothers name’. The Konti was more and more curious, but she had nothing to hide and had no reason to be wary of his questions so she nodded her agreement.

“I was returning to Endrykas from Mura in the Fall of 509 when my horse had an accident and I ran into slavers on the Sea of Grass. They took me. I likely would have been sold for food to the Zith or even for breeding had not an Akalak Raiding Party rescued us. There were many women with the slavers. I was returned to Riverfall and put under a Nakivak Contract until my son was born. I was rested and then placed under a second contract. My Talvis almost killed me. While the man that contracted me was kind, the brother within him was dark. I was released then, 511 it was, and have been here ever since. I was young then, too young probably to have been placed under contract. But both men are dead and I have custody of my children so I am grateful that I will live a long while at their sides.” Kavala said, knowing it was probably too much information, but it was fair that he know she what she was. The Akalak claimed Nakivak were honored and sacred, but the truth was many of them were just viewed as a source of pleasure and children, not worthy of equality to the men of the city.

Kavala thought for a moment, knowing it was her turn to ask a question. She waited though, letting her answer sink in and to make sure he had no reaction to it that might have been negative. The truth was that Kavala was a twice marked Rak’keli Healer with Opal Order training, but none of that really mattered. Forced prostitution was still forced prostitution.

She jumped a large piece of driftwood and turned to him once more. She thoughtfully pursed her lips and then asked her question. “So, Vypal..." The Konti started out with a soft smile. "What is your favorite childhood memory? You know… the kind of thing that has stuck with you the longest or the one you think most often of?” She truly asked the question for two reasons. One, it would help her get to know him better. Secondly, it was often a question she asked people. Hearing their answers gave her insight into what kinds of things she could do for her own children that would give them lasting impressions as well.
Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Vypec on November 3rd, 2016, 8:24 pm

The dark brother listened to her words as he ran, keeping his eyes on the ground in front of him. He would have rather had this conversation seated, or at least stationary. But that wasn't the way of the game. Vypal frowned slightly as she mentioned her children and the Akalak she had been contracted to. He felt a stir of emotion. Vypec flared with the same nostalgic memories. Their mother had been of a similar standing. Vypal could not help but feel a gleam of respect. She had said 'children'. Did this mean she had given the city more than one son? Vypal felt a hot wash of gratitude towards the woman he ran next to.

"It's quite an endeavor, aiding the Akalak in our... Situation." Vypal said after a moment of nothing but their footfalls on the sand. "Our mother was very lucky in that our father is a well balanced man. Her life was full of gentleness despite our childish roughness. But do not think that all of our kind are as violent. That is...that is a weakness of the individual, not the race." Vypal intoned. He glanced at her, the pale eyes critical. "And you feel that you are able to deal well with the... Trials of Akalak child rearing? Some of our kind grow concerned for the safety of those concerned in situations where a woman is left to care for our young." He asked, his mind going towards the dangers he knew existed in caring for Akalak young. He had phrased it carefully, trying not to offend. But there was a vague crease of concern in his brow as he asked.

As they ran Vypal wiped a sheet of sweat from his scalp, running his fingertips along the white braid of his hair. Her next words caught him off guard. She knew it was him! She knows it is you! Let me back, brother! Vypec intoned hastily as he realized it too. Vypal stared at her for a long moment, something between surprise and interest in his eyes as he really looked at her for the first time.

No, I will see this through! Vypal hissed.

"Very perceptive, you are." He frowned at her question. "That's quite a personal question." He thought about it. To give the real memory would be wildly foolish. Who was this woman to think she deserved such a deep intimation? Vypal tended to agree with his brother in his mental insistence to lie, to tell her some generic sap story of a father's pride or a mother's love.

Lie, you're so good at it. Vypec said without hesitation.

I thought you trusted her. Vypal teased him sardonically. I was under the impression you wanted to build this friendship?

You would open our heart to this woman? You would tell her about our first sword? This thought of Vypec's caught Vypal by surprise. His most cherished memory was of Akajia's touch, and he was obviously not going to tell this woman about that. However seemed that Vypec was worried about him relinquishing something so old it could hardly cause a disadvantage. He felt a surge of affection for his other half as he too remembered the moment.

Vypal looked at her again, like a man would size up his opponent in the ring. "Our mother had just died." Vypal started quietly.

I hate you. Vypec raged in their shared mind.

Better yours than mine Vypec. I'm flattered that you cherish that... But, it won't hurt you. Vypal had meant to say more, but he was committed to the story.

"She had just died and we were both struggling with it. We had never balanced out, at that point. We were very young and without a real understanding of our nature. It is hard for young Akalak to come to terms with it." Vypal saw the scene in his mind as Vypec glowed with anger within him. "I felt angry and lost and I took control... Roughly. I fled our father's home and climbed through the city until we were alone. I picked up a stick and started swinging it and swinging until exhaustion. I was going through the moves, sort of, that we had seen our father doing. The exertion felt good after the loss. But eventually I was too tired to continue, and he returned to control. He was not angry, he simply went through the motions. We worked through the emotion together, It was the first time we had shared our existence willingly, and it was a strong feeling." Vypal finished lamely. He burned with remembered emotions and with embarrassment.

He looked hard at her for a reaction. His heart raced with the thrill of the moment, letting one of their oldest and dearest memories given to a stranger. Vypal wasn't sure what she would think of that.

"So, yea. That is one." He said dismissively. He followed her lead in the run, though he felt the exertion of it. "Now that I've told a stranger one of our memories for no reason... Why don't you tell me a memory." Vypal said. "Though i've had enough of the touching nostalgia. Tell me about these slavers." He said, watching her for a reaction.
Vypec
Night Stalker

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Kavala on November 3rd, 2016, 10:54 pm

She almost lost her stride when he posed his out of turn question. As it was he would not miss the hitch in her gate as if she almost stumbled. Kavala corrected herself and refocused her mind quickly. It was a complication she came across time and time again in regards to her children. She should have expected it. Most Akalak felt that a Konti raising their sons was indeed not an ideal situation. But she was not most Konti. He would not know that though. Nor did he know her children weren't Akalak. Reluctantly Kavala turned and met his gaze a moment before answering his question.

"I am not raising Akalak sons."
She said, not sure if she should spell it out fully for him. "My oldest, Tasival and Shayru, are only five years of age. My youngest Ralac and Inadan are three. Ralac and Inadan have a twin konti sister as well called Ia'del. I am lucky because there are many fatherless Akalak in the city and they all four have a unique ability to make friends among them. Tasi and Shay's father's father is still alive as well, so to is one of their great uncles. I make sure the boys spends a lot of time with that family on that side. Zantal is kind in that he takes the youngest too, not minding that those two are not of his bloodline. It is hard giving them up for the holidays of your people, but it is important for them to learn your traditions and be among men. I cannot help them forge their Lakan or train for their Rites, but I can and am seeing to their physical training. Already my sons are strong in combat with and without weapons. They can ride and one is going to be a strong mage. And since they are Akontak and not Akalak, I teach them about the sea as well." Kavala had a seriousness to her tone but there was also a softness to her voice. Anyone listening could tell she'd worried about the situation and had planned carefully to make sure there were no gaps in her son's educations.

Kavala continued, looking thoughtful as she ran. "I have three bodies to look out for and five souls. It is not easy. But your city helps. They even know some of the Kuvay'Nas who sometimes drop by and take them on patrol during the quieter times in the city when there are special days for guardsman to bring their sons to work. The Akalak work hard to make sure I do not isolate them and that they are as exposed to the realities of the world as their own sons are. I am grateful as well. Being a healer helps. They know me and I have gotten to know some of them." The Konti added. She often took no pay for her work, but if someone needed patched up and came by she would do so without hesitation. Her oaths made that a necessity. But often the Kuvay'Nas would offer to spar with Tas or Ralac or take them for a patrol in return. It was a good trade off.

"I know it is not the same as a male in their lives daily, but it is still a good situation."
The Konti said, meeting Vypac's gaze briefly. She was surprised he and his brother were born of a Nakivak. It still, in many ways, was hard for her to get around the cultural aspect of Riverfall cherishing women who were in essence reproductive slaves for their culture. Anywhere else they would be considered whores.

But their attitude seemed genuinely respectful of it and for that she was relieved.

"Your mother sounded like she lived a happy life. I'm glad for that. I too liked my Talvis'. They were both gentleman. The first one died defending the city. The second one was banished to the Cerulean. I have seen him a time or two. The man who signed my contract is all but gone in him though. He knew the danger his dark brother posed, but it was his uncle that arranged the contract. He was very reluctant to visit, though in the end his dark brother forced him too. I am very bad at reading people, Vypal. I tend to believe people and take them at face value. I have no gift to sniff out lies or deception. In some ways that does not suit very well for Riverfall because the Oathmaster is always watching. I think they would put me back under contract in a heartbeat if I gave them any reason too." Kavala admitted, shaking her head slightly.

She steered them higher on the beach because the hard sand was growing soft with seawater. That meant there was more to dodge in terms of flotsam, but the Konti didn't mind. It gave her someplace else to look while they spoke. She was just glad they had assumed an easy loose hipped jog that allowed them time to converse. It felt good running, being with a potentially new friend, and learning about them.

When she asked her question she watched Vypal mull it over. She was surprised at his answer. It seemed like such a big moment in life, even though the premise sounded simple enough. His best memory was swinging a stick like a sword? No... it was about his blending, and about him coming to terms with his brother. She understood what he meant even if it wasn't completely spelled out. Even those of the world that had only a single soul had those moments. They weren't haunted by other intelligence, but often by memories of the past.

"Sometimes pain manifests in odd ways. I'm glad you took control and that together you faced her death. I think your people are very lucky in a lot of ways, Vypal. You are never alone. Regardless of what happens to you in life, there is always a warrior at your back to defend you and be a voice of reason or a voice of encouragement. I like your brother. He has a genuine way about him. And hes never spoke ill of you either. I would give a lot to have such support in my life. I think that's why I cling to my children so heavily. I know that in a few years I will have strong sons and a strong daughter at my side. None of us will ever be alone or unsupported with a family like that. It's one of the reasons I've driven to do the right thing by them." Kavala took a moment and offered a bright smile to Vypal once more.

"You were raised by both a mother and father, weren't you? Not your whole life but a lot of it. Some people here think that's a bad thing. I think you both turned out well though. Your career track is taking you up the Kuvay'Nas ladder. And you treat everyone with respect. It gives me hope I won't ruin them." She said, smiling again, wondering about his mother now.

Going back to his memory, Kavala had something else to offer. "You know, I feel like weapons - regardless of what kind - do something important for us. A lot of people regardless of race just dwell in our heads and dwell in our hearts. Weapons force us out of that space. I think you and Vypec experienced that too on the day you swung your sword and came to an understanding. Right or wrong that action moved you out of your heads and into your body. You became part of that weapon... even though it was only a humble stick. It drew you out of your minds, out of your hearts, and into your body... the body you both control. And you did that together. It symbolizes so much more, so much more about how stronger you are together. Akalaks are lethal. They are some of the smartest strongest men I have ever known. Thank you for sharing that memory with me." The Konti murmured as she jumped a clump of seaweed and found her stride with him again. Glacing at him her eyes softened. She looked pensive and thoughtful.

Then he asked his question. It wasn't the same question she'd asked him. It almost was, but he was specific. Kavala frowned, not wanting to answer it honestly. But it was a long time ago, far longer it seemed than the seven years it had been.

"You have to understand a few things before I can tell you about the slavers." Kavala said after a long long pause. "I was born to a Konti mother who was answering her Call on the Sea of Grass. I was a konti daughter of an Endrykas Ankal. I had no prospects for any sort of status in the Drykas culture even though I was raised in it. My father sent me to Mura so that I could learn healing and have prospects. The Drykas take multiple wives. I could never be a first wife because I could not have human children, but as a healer I would have status and could be a coveted second wife. I was so young. I still am. but I studied in Mura for two years and was coming home trained in a more professional way than my mother had trained me." Kavala said, not sure still if he understood.

"Those slavers captured a child. That's what I really was. I had been raised gently, sheltered, and trained to keep flesh intact." The pause was longer now and she swallowed out the words. "The first thing they did was shatter all those illusions in my life. I was beaten and worse by every single one of them. I wanted to die, and Dira still did not come. They had me for only ten days, but the abuse was a daily thing. On the tenth day they told me I was going to be fed to Zith and I was glad of it because those human men took from me my identity. I was nothing but meat." Kavala answered him honestly, not sure he could understand if he'd never been that powerless in his life.

"To this day I still have a slight issue with non-Drykas human males."
She said, hating to admit that she was prejudiced. But it was true. She didn't choose their company if she was given a choice. "I much prefer Akalak for companionship. There's always a part of me that doesn't trust human males." The Konti chuckled almost bitterly to herself, hating to admit that.

"That was two questions. Now I get to ask you two as well."
Kavala said, counting the one he asked about her children being raised without a father as well.

She took her time thinking of the questions. What could she asked? What did she want to know about him. The Konti was silent for a while before both questions were put forth.

Kavala laughed slightly and attempted to lighten the mood with her next question. She asked it lightly, curiously, as she ran along beside him. "What kinds of things make you and Vypec laugh?" She asked, giving him time to absorb the question and answer. She was genuinely interested. She wasn't sure he'd tell her and truthfully she wouldn't blame him if he didn't want to open up about what amused both of them the most. But it would be nice to know.

She left him to answer the question before posing her next one. Kavala presented it with a cheeky grin and a laugh in her eyes. "So... for my second question I want to know which of you is the better lover." Her grin stretched from ear to ear and he could tell she was enjoying herself enormously.
Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes