Preparation Part I

Creating the stencil for leather cuffs.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Preparation Part I

Postby Cerys on January 23rd, 2016, 12:37 am

15th, Winter, 515 AV
Toppe's Traipsing

To start the project Cerys had a simple selection of supplies spread out in front of her. A measuring tool, an ink stick, several pieces of thick parchment, and a sharp cutting blade. This step was the simplest, and as long as her measurements came out correctly, shouldn't take more than a bell.

On one piece of parchment she laid down her measuring instrument and made two small marks with her ink stick, seven inches apart, and drew a line connecting them vertically along the paper. Cerys turned her measuring stick and at the top and bottom of that line made two more quick strokes, one and one-half inch long. She closed off the shape of the band with one more carefully ruled edge, dragging her ink stick slowly from end to end again and connecting the previous two points.

She was left with a neat and narrow rectangle, courtesy of the measurements provided by Mistress Toppe. One-quarter inch in from the inch and a half edges on both ends of the stencil she made two small dots; a reference for where the laces would go. With everything for the first piece traced out, Cerys slowly and carefully cut the lines of the template with her blade, then began anew with the next stencil.
Threads: 1/5
Cerys
Hunting for purpose.

Words: 7575
Joined roleplay: December 14th, 2015, 5:25 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Preparation Part I

Postby Cerys on March 6th, 2016, 11:59 pm

With what was left of the page she was currently using, Cerys carefully measured out another rectangle, this time seven and one-half inches long, but again one and one-half inches wide. Her tongue stuck out from between her teeth in concentration, and she brushed some stray hairs out of her face as she carefully drew out the second template. Cerys labeled the laces one-quarter inch from the edges like before, then carefully began cutting.

Nearly halfway through as she turned her blade around a corner, the parchment suddenly caught, puckered, and ripped across the middle. Cerys looked at the ruined drawing with a wrinkled, defeated expression. "Son of a bitch," she mumbled under her breath as she wadded up the failure and grabbed a fresh piece.

"What was that?" The redhead flinched inwardly at the sound of Misstress Toppe's serious voice. She turned in her chair and offered a half-smile to her employer, who gave her little more than a cocked eyebrow in return.

"Language, young lady," the older woman warned.

"Sorry ma'am." Ears like an owl, that one.

"Are you working on those templates like I asked?" Cerys held up the one she had completed and Valerie examined it, turning it over in her thin, pale fingers. "This one is fine. Good work. But what about that?" She pointed to the wadded paper on the table.

"I had a little mishap the second go around. Had to scrap it. I was just about to start again."

Valerie nodded and handed back the stencil. "It happens sometimes, but try to be more careful. The trick is consistent pressure on the paper, and moving slowly. Rushing never did anyone any justice."

"Yes ma'am."
Threads: 1/5
Cerys
Hunting for purpose.

Words: 7575
Joined roleplay: December 14th, 2015, 5:25 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes