A Duel Diverted [Kavala]

In the Zhongjie Warren the weather may be chilly but tempers are on the rise!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

A Duel Diverted [Kavala]

Postby Vypec on January 31st, 2016, 6:29 pm

43rd of Winter, 515 A.V.
The Zhongjie Warren

Vypec had let his patrol lead him here, to the ever bustling throngs of the Zhongjie Warren, a bazaar whose tall neighbors gave it shelter from most of the winter’s cold breath. He assumed the place would be packed, as anyone who was out and about on such a day would seek it’s protection from the weather. He was dressed with his cloak pulled tight around him, hood up to fight the cold. His long braided mohawk hung over one shoulder. At his hip rested the cold hilt of his gladius and his Lakan was hidden at the small of his back.

As he walked his way between the brightly colored tents, stalls, and merchants, the occasional shop-keeper would shout his wares at him. But Vypec paid them no mind. He could not afford to be distracted from his duties. But there was quite an assortment of distractions arrayed against the casual passerby. Furs from Avanthal, alcohol and herbs from Kenash, various glassworks all the way from Wind Reach. And though the merchants were mostly Akalak, like him, the majority of the customers were very diverse. It was certainly an assortment of Kuvan and those sailors and adventurers whose ships were wintering in Riverfall this year.

Crash!

The disturbance was barely heard over the sounds of the bazaar. Vypec let his hand fall on the hilt of his blade instinctually. The Akalak quickened his steps as he moved towards the sound. He felt his heart skip a beat when he heard the shouting. It was a different kind of shout than the merchants, full of anger. When he rounded the corner of a jewelry merchant’s stall he founda man and a woman, humans, both dressed outlandishly and both staring menacingly at the other. The man clutched a hatchet in his hands and the woman a pair of vicious looking daggers. He observed their body language had an aura of hostility that a child could see.

They were apparently the source of the disturbance. Sure enough, a crowd had begun to form. Merchants and patrons alike were awaiting with baited breath what would happen next. “Stop! Stop this at once!” Vypec shouted before he realized what he was doing. He had to take charge before it came to blows. He stepped out into the impromptu dueling ring that the crowd had allowed these two combatants and threw back his hood. “You are breaking the third law of the city, not to mention the first.” He boomed, his thick purple hand closing a vice grip around the hilt of his gladius as if to punctuate his sentence.

Subtle, Vypec. Vypal said, amused.

Shut up.

“I’m sure we can find a peaceful solution to whatever the problem is.” Vypec continued as the two turned their cold eyes upon him.

“Maybe in the next life!” The woman said, and she lunged at the hatchet wielding man. People scattered back whilst Vypec dove forward. He yanked her off the man with both hands and threw her. It was not difficult, she was a slight woman and he a well fed Akalak. The man made to lunge after her, but Vypec landed a clumsy punch to his gut and he doubled over. By the time he shoved the man back to gain some distance, the woman was up and on the attack again. Though neither of them had explicitly tried to harm him, Vypec felt vulnerable trying to break up an armed fight with his fists. He drew his gladius with a metallic hiss and turned to face the woman.

As he raised his blade to keep her at bay he hoped someone would handle the now struggling man behind him. In training with Vyanods and Dremandos, he had been pitched against multiple enemies, but he had never needed to fight in earnest against two. He was worried about what would happen if both turned their anger on him. Vypec still hoped to calm the situation down and figure out what had happened.
Vypec
Night Stalker

Words: 156592
Joined roleplay: January 21st, 2016, 6:49 pm
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

A Duel Diverted [Kavala]

Postby Kavala on February 11th, 2016, 6:44 pm

The market was usually bustling but almost never rowdy in the great waterfall city. Kavala was a frequent visitor, dropping off wares and shopping for her family’s needs every few days or at least once a ten-day. Today she’d been visiting the market to drop off an order of honey that a customer had wanted. If Kavala had more time she’d probably would have made a profit opening a booth in the bazaar and selling jars openly instead of just to her select customer base. But time never seemed to be on her side with managing the Sanctuary and planning the Sapphire Star venture with Eosi. And so she’d just unloaded the crate full of quart jars and picked up her payment – some new leather halters and two yvas’ designed big enough for her warhorses – she was more than happy to stop and study the scene.

A Kuvay’Nas warrior, one of the big ones, was busy dealing with breaking up a duel that seemed to be underway between two humans. They were angry, ruled by their emotions, and definitely bent on violence. Kavala frowned, wondering what in the world was so awful that blades had to be drawn. Someone, anyone, could be hurt if they fought here and there were children in and about the market always. It angered the Konti healer at the two individuals’ lack of concern for other’s safety and their open defiance of Riverfall’s laws. Thankfully the Kuvay’Nas was there, although he seemed to be alone.

The big Akalak tried to break up the fight without violence and Kavala had to give him credit. If a seven foot at least three hundred pound man asked her to stop fighting, she probably would have. These two seemed beyond it though which made the Konti frown. She secured her backpack of leatherwork onto her back and then adjusted the straps down tight. She checked to make sure her throwing daggers were in place and that she had Tamo’s on her. She’d left her double bladed longsword and her crossbow on Ghosts’ yvas at the stable where she’d left him. Her weapons were in place, comfortingly so, and she turned back to see what would happen next.

She watched the Akalak move as he lunged forward faster than she expected him to be and pull the woman off the man. He tossed her gently away as if she weighed nothing which made Kavala grin, and then managed to land a punch in the man’s gut while shoving him back closer to Kavala. The Konti heard the hiss of steel being drawn by the Akalak but was focused on the man in front of her bent double wheezing. Kavala didn’t think. She simply moved. Dancing forward the Konti roundhouse kicked at the man’s wrist where he still clutched the hatchet, aiming for the breakpoint and hoping it would knock the weapon out of the man’s hands. She had his inattention and momentary disability on her side and the hatchet flew out of his hands, skittering off into the crowd across the packed earth of the bazaar. She didn’t follow its path once it disappeared underneath a nearby booth because the man came up with rage in his eyes and his fists bunched. He came at Kavala full force like an enraged bull, channeling his anger and pain at the gut-punch and the unexpected disarm into the motion. “Bitch. I’ll teach you to stay out of other people’s business.” Kavala, in a way, was shocked. Riverfall’s men didn’t attack women. Here the female was coveted and protected. The crowd seemed to think the same thing as a collective inhalation of surprise ripped through the crowd. The man bull rushed the Konti, slamming into her and she went backwards far lighter than he was. They tangled going down, him punching and her taking them to get the advantage to roll him under her. She all but laid on his shoulder and wrist, holding it down as the man balled his fist and tried to cold cock her in the side of the head. She bent to protect her body and he nailed her in the ribs and hip, missing her kidney and liver but only by a hair. The Konti grunted in pain but called forth power, pulling it from inside. It answered immediately and she spit res all over his wrist, pulling elements from the ground to mingle with the res and form a solid stone cuff around his wrist holding him to the ground.

He got off two more hard punches to her side before she rolled away, getting clear of him. Her backpack made her motion almost turtle-like as she did so. She came up on one knee and panted, her hand going to her side and to her chin where a bruise was already darkening her skin. The man tugged at the stone manacle that locked him firmly and deeply to the earth. He yelled obscenities and then seemed to calm. “Petching wizard piece of shyke!?! Is that what you are? I would have mistook you for a whore! Release me now, bitch…. Now! That dirty Vagik needs to answer for her whoring ways. She was with my best friend. MY BEST FRIEND. I’m going to kill her. Let me go.” He said, struggling against the earthen bond Kavala had formed between him and the stone of Riverfall’s bones. The Konti straightened, took a few steps back, and was proud of herself for not killing him. She brushed her hair out of her eyes and glanced at the Kuvay’Nas to see if he was fairing any better. Her side was killing her where she’d took numerous blows and she knew at least one of her ribs was broken. It took all of her self-control not to march forward and kick him hard enough to break a few of his. It wasn’t worth her time though because her healing compulsion would just kick in and she’d feel the obligated to fix him.

The woman, meanwhile, was also shouting threats at the Kuvay’Nas. Kavala wondered, not for the first time, if they were putting something in the water. Above them, on lines, birds heckled the brawlers and quietly took bets among themselves on who would win. Kavala spared them a glance, hoping no one noticed.

1069/27191

The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

A Duel Diverted [Kavala]

Postby Vypec on February 14th, 2016, 7:33 am

The woman was spitting every manner of curse she could think of at Vypec as he waved his gladius in front of her. Drawing it may have been a mistake, he saw now. She had taken it as a sign that he wanted to escalate things rather than calm them down. Or else, she now saw it as justification to bat at it with her own weapons. Vypec got the impression that she was attempting to move the weapon out of her way to get at the man behind him rather than in any attempt to hurt him. She seemed to be a woman possessed by rage, with little regard for something as intangible as the law. Or those who enforce it.

Looking back over his shoulder Vypec saw a blonde woman engaging the man in some vicious looking combat. Though she was taking a few hit she managed to roll free of his reach. Vypec was bewildered for a moment, staring at the stone binding him to the ground. What had she done to him? But he could only watch for a moment before the woman saw her opportunity and tried to dart past him. Vypec spun and grabbed her with one arm around the neck. He kept his blade out to the side so as not to hurt her. The injury of a woman, even one as irate as this, was such a horrible taboo that it was almost instinct that kept him from using too much force with her. Instead he fell back onto his back, dragging her down with him. It was then that Vypec could see clearly the woman who had come to his aid.

Almost immediately her status as a Konti was evident. She seemed fragile in her youthful beauty. He felt a sinking feeling. He had been unable to control the situation completely and now one of the most precious, most revered had suffered injury because of it. He could see that the Konti woman was hurt, from the way she stood and the bruises on her face. Vypec grimaced and squeezed his forearm around the woman's neck, very slightly. He made sure the muscle of his arm was not over her windpipe, but the sides of her neck. "Calm yourself. It's over." He said to her as he watched the Konti.

"That little worm stole from me! He stole from ME!" The woman spit, her voice raspy now. "My precious puppies! Not even his bear of a shipmate would tell me where they are." She sputtered, struggling against his arm. The woman seemed to have some experience with fighting larger men, because she stomped down hard on his crotch and he was forced to let her go. He moaned and turned over, his body suddenly rolling with discomfort and deep pain.

Vypec struggled to his hands and knees in time to see the woman drag herself to her feet. She seemed to be struggling to catch her breath as well. Vypec gasped and punched the side of her knee, hard. She crumpled back down beside him and he set his fingers around her throat. He pressed down with all his might, not allowing for mercies after the low and dishonorable blow she had just hit him with.

Yea, I say you kill them both and then make sure this Konti gets home alright. Vypal's snide voice rang in his head. His brother seemed wholly unconcerned with the pain Vypec was in.

"Listen, woman. Either you calm down and help me understand what offense this man gave you, or you and I will face each other in the Gideon Arena and I will teach you the gravity of your mistakes today." Vypec hissed at her, not breaking eye contact for the whole threat. She calmed, though she still looked malevolently at the shackled man. Her body heaved as she stood there, catching her breath and emanating anger. She prowled like a cat across the wide gap that the crowd had made for her in the market road. Vypec stood and told her to sit down in the road and throw her knives to him. Though she complied and threw her knives to the Akalak, she did not sit. Vypec decided there were more pressing issues at hand. He turned away from her when he was sure she wouldn't try anything else that was blatantly murderous.

Oh, so dark and dangerous, Vypec. You make me so proud.

Shove it. Vypec dismissed his brother's jibe. He turned to the Konti woman to see if she was alright.

Upon closer inspection she seemed to be favoring her side more than he thought. He approached her and sheathed his gladius with a subtle hiss of steel on leather. "Thank you for your help. Are you injured?" Vypec grimaced as he looked her over. It was almost painful for him to see such damage done to one of the women of Riverfall. It made things worse that she was clearly one of the more beautiful in the city. Women were coveted in Riverfall, especially ones of such clear quality. "I need to figure out what's going on here, but I will see you home safely as soon as possible." He frowned.

That bundle of Zith dung over there did that to her. He clearly is not from Riverfall. We should educate him, Vypec. Vypal's cold fury melted through into Vypec's emotions. Even his cold and apathetic brother found this man revolting.

"I'm sorry you had to be involved, but I am thankful you were there to help me." Vypec began, giving the man one last scathing look before turning back to the Konti. "I am Vypec Algranos. I think I owe you one."

The crowd around them was about to break up. Clearly they thought that the fun was all over and the two combatants were suitably detained, though the woman was looking increasingly like she was going to forget Vypec's warning and lunge. The Akalak stepped carefully between her and her victim as he spoke to the Konti.

1011/50000
Last edited by Vypec on February 17th, 2016, 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vypec
Night Stalker

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

A Duel Diverted [Kavala]

Postby Kavala on February 15th, 2016, 12:51 am

Kavala stood quietly, regaining her breath as much as she could with a broken rib and the side of her face smarting from the punch. She could feel the scaled flesh across her cheek swell and expand even as her eye blackened. Inside she silently cursed. She was out of shape and out of practice for certain. She’d been ill a year ago due to a difficult pregnancy and almost lost her life. It had given her an appreciation for health but it had cut down her physical fitness. She was slowly building her body back up, but until she actually strength trained and got more flexible, it wouldn’t help to just keep up her fighting skills.

She watched the Kuvay’Nas work. It was impressive how he’d divided the two combatants and singled one out to contain. Had his unit been with him, they could have dealt with the other. As it was, in a city of warriors, it was a smart move because odds are there was someone capable nearby of containing the human male. Kavala also understood his choice of taking on the female. Akalaks rarely saw humans as threats, especially males. But she thought perhaps he might have separated out the woman to in a way protect her from himself. So the Konti thought, bent over slightly and still panting with her hands braced on her knees.

Kavala kept a sharp eye on the woman, noting the rage in her eyes and the more than willingness to seemingly kill the man the Konti had laid out and restrained. The big Akalak drew steel and Kavala took a moment to admire his form. There was nothing weak or untrained about him. And he moved with an effectiveness that spoke of years training or at least growing up in a city of warriors. The Konti couldn’t help it. The Akalak were very attractive to her and in many ways the equal of her race and perfect mates. Odds are he was married or had a Nakivak or two under contract. Most of them did. It was too bad because she could see the muscles rippling beneath his uniform tunic and she could tell he didn’t have an ounce of excess on him. It had been a long time for the Konti, years in fact, and she wondered if she even had it in her to compliment one. And she wanted too. Suddenly she had the biggest urge to tell him how beautifully he moved even if those movements were deadly.

She straightened slowly, one hand clasped to her side, still breathing irregularly. He was so distracting, holding the woman at bay, that she momentarily forgot her own injuries to watch him. He grappled with the woman and in one motion had an arm around her throat and had her secured against his big frame, an arm choking her neck. His words washed over Kavala, effecting her more it seemed than the woman who continued to struggle even as restrained as she was by the Akalak.

Kavala offered the big Kuvay’Nas an apologetic smile as he met her gaze over the struggling woman. She lifted a hand to side and cupped the flesh there. Closing her eyes she concentrated on tapping her gnosis and pouring healing into her broken rib and bruised tissue. Mistakenly she thought the woman utterly contained by the big warrior and only opened her eyes when the woman spit out the words. Ice blue eyes flashed open in irritation as the woman kicked the warrior and he released her. Kavala’s mouth filled with Res in response, too distracted to heal herself, unimpressed with the woman’s control and her methods of fighting. Yet she couldn’t help admire how the man recovered quickly and then in a vicious controlled motion took the woman down with a hard blow that broke her knee and tumbled her to the ground. The Kuvay’Nas held her firm and Kavala jerked physically because the healing compulsion was kicking her hard both for the woman’s sudden pain and the man’s debilitating core injury.

Sweat broke out on Kavala’s brow, half from the pain of her rib and half from the urge to go to one or both of them and heal them. Rak’keli’s compulsion wouldn’t be too insistent until the fight died down completely though and the Konti remained standing where she was momentarily.

She watched the woman stalk across the small clearing in the crowd, swallowing hard. The warrior let her go, more so Kavala suspected, to see if he could make more sense of the situation than actually because he thought the woman was calm or could be trusted alone. And turning she found herself facing the Akalak and his questions. “No… yes… but I’ll be fine.” She assured him, then nodded, closing her eyes a moment and then opening them again. She knew one side of her face was wrecked and slowly darkening from the man’s punches, but she wasn’t worried about her looks. She was more worried about the need to reach out and sooth his hurts. It wasn’t… appropriate, not right then certainly.

“Kavala Denusk.” She responded to the introductions and nodded to them. “I got myself involved. You were doing a good job of controlling them. She’s a spitfire. I usually don’t see humans that mad. And there is no debt owed, to you Vypec or your brother.” She said quietly, calmly, proud her voice didn’t shake. It wasn’t often Kavala got coldcocked in the side of her head, a rib broken, and even rarer that she was standing before an Akalak feeling compulsions to heal his manbits from a similar blow. Her life in Riverfall had also taught her the politeness of Akalakan society – to acknowledge both men in the body that stood before her.

As the crowd dispersed, Kavala turned her attention back to the couple, one still shackled to the earth. The woman stood over him, seemingly calmer but her voice was deadly. “Where are the pups? Where are they?” She said quietly, looking the man over as if she were pleased to see him so confined. The woman still had a lot of tension in her shoulders and looked like she could erupt at any time.

“Faydra. I caught you red-handed with Tenisan. Why in the world would I tell you anything after that. Tenisan is my best friend. You left me home with those miserable curs while you were out and about having the time of your life with my best friend. One wouldn’t eat! What was I supposed to do? I bottle fed it like you said. I know you said what kind of money they were worth sold. It spit up its food all over the place. It was sick. I came to find you to tell you. And when I couldn’t find you I stopped by Tenisans to see if he would help me look. You were there. I saw you. Shyke Faydra! My best friend? Really?” He said, shaking his head disgusted. He kept tugging at the stone shackle that seemed to raise up out of the ground and bind him to the flagstone street. Gathering his legs beneath him, he sat up so he was more on her level. The man looked at her insistently. “I’ve always been good to you. I put a roof over our heads. I bring home a good wage. And this was your way of contributing. This puppy selling business. I’ve never not trusted you! But today you gave me a huge reason to stop that. Today you made me look like an idiot!” He said, the bitter angry words filling the silence between the two people.

Kavala glanced at Vypec to see what he made of the situation. Her hand raised to her side and she was focusing as the pair remained calm, pouring healing energy into her side, and mending the rib and then the abused tissues around it. Her face could wait. She doubted the Kuvay’Nas could wait though because the compulsion was riding her marks hard, causing it to almost burn where the gnosis marks were etched into her ankle. He was doing an amazing job, however, of ignoring his discomfort after the human woman had kicked him squarely in his manbits.

So when the Akalak stepped carefully between her and the almost dueling pair, Kavala slipped up close to him then around in front of him, her smaller frame not coming anywhere close to blocking his view of the pair. She rose up on the tips of her toes, boot heels raising off the flagstone street, and pretended to whisper something to him, her eyes locking with his. As fast as she could in that moment, without asking permission, Kavala pressed herself against Vypec. The scent of vanilla filled his senses. With her body blocking her actions from the already dispersed crowd, her left hand gently touched his stomach and flatted out, sliding south to cup the rise in his body at the apex of his thighs. Her gnosis flared and she poured Rak’keli’s power into Vypec’s sensitive region, soothing the damaged flesh and removing the bruising and pain. Kavala guessed that was the extent of the damage without an actual exam. He wouldn’t have been on his feet if the woman had ruptured one of his testicles or did even worse damage.

She was there and gone in an instant, holding his body only as long as it took for the compulsion to break and release her as Rak’keli’s gnosis healed his pain. Then she was gone. Kavala moved her body off his and shifted to stand beside but slightly behind him again, just another onlooker who refused to go home for a moment.

Blue eyes, still pale from the excitement, continued to observe the woman and the man. In that instant the man opened his mouth again. “What do you have to say for yourself, Faydra? What?” He demanded. The woman’s rage rose. They could both see it as she cocked her leg back and attempted to kick the prone man in the same exact location she’d nailed Vypec. Her knee obviously wasn't broken like Kavala had expected. Vypec must have been very careful and just disabled her to bring her down. Kavala attempted to move at the same time Vypec did, to intercept the woman and prevent the abuse. But Vypec was ahead of her and got there first.

1719/30527

Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

A Duel Diverted [Kavala]

Postby Vypec on February 17th, 2016, 8:26 am

Vypal was in an uproar. He was saying all sorts of unspeakable things to Vypec, and struggling to gain prominence. He seemed to whole heartedly approve of the drastic breach in protocol that the Konti had performed. Vypec struggled to silence his brother. Vypec was trying to come to terms with what had just happened. He stood, stunned, while Kavala Denusk, this mysterious Konti woman, backed away into the crowd. Vypec had been surprised enough at the groping, though he had been unable to react in the moment. But the sudden and miraculous relief of the pain had shaken him even more. Who was this woman? How could she pull the pain away with a simple touch? Vypec was unable to question her further thought.

The woman, Faydra was her name, chose that moment to assault the man. Her foot was aimed to cause him much the same pain her boot had caused the Akalak. Vypec stepped swiftly to intervene, his movements renewed thanks to the Konti's healing. The dark purple warrior pulled the woman away at the last moment, his fist wrapped around her hand. "Listen, Faydra? I'm here to help." He assured her as her anger made her tremble and fight against his grip. Vypec kept his distance though, not wanting a repeat of the last time he had come too close to the woman. "Listen to me. Faydra, what happened to your pups?" Vypec seized on the one thing he knew she had an emotional connection to. It was an old questioner's trick that his grandfather had taught him at a young age.

Sure enough, the woman stopped struggling against him and let out a growling sigh. She spat at the man still chained by stone to the cobbles beneath him. "That petcher, Jorvid, stole my damn pups. I breed them, you see. And he STOLE THEM FROM ME!" She seemed to be working herself into another rage. Vypec rolled his eyes and shoved her back further away from the man.

"Okay, okay!" He put himself between the wrathful glare of the woman and the man who stared hatefully back at her. "So he just stole your puppies? What would make him do that? You seem to have..." Vypec struggled for the word. The man's accusation of infidelity hung in the air around all of them now.

Struggle snuggles? Vypal suggested with amusement. The dark brother was clearly enjoying his brother's predicament.

"Intimacy." Vypec finished his thought. He watched the woman for a reaction. She blanched at the accusation of emotional connection. Her eyes went cold and she stared at Vypec with a look of disgust on her face.

"I was duped. Conned. That man tricked me into bed with him to get his hands on my dogs, they're worth a small fortune you know!" She said, wagging a finger accusingly at the man behind Vypec. Vypec turned and glanced at him. The guy certainly didn't look like a con man, and if so, he had been caught in the open. But Vypec stopped himself from rushing to conclusions, he knew there were always at least two sides to a story. He found his eyes traveling along the crowd and landing on Kavala, the Konti. He would have been dead if not for her. Or at least in rough shape. Could some dogs make someone want to kill another person, and even some collateral stranger, in public? Vypec doubted it. He at least couldn't see himself doing such a thing. But who knew with these humans.

"Tell me the whole story, from the beginning." Vypec said. In a spur of the moment decision he turned and found Kavala again with his eyes. He motioned for her to come over as well. If she should approach he would mutter close to her ear. "Can you question the male, please? I want to get their stories at the same time and compare them." He would thank her and smile before turning back to Faydra.

Faydra began her story with a deep sigh and another angry look over the Akalak's large, purple shoulder. "I met Jorvid over there about two months ago. He told me he had lived in Alvadas for most of his life and came here to apprentice under an Akalak jewel crafter. But it turns out he was a sailor who was staying here over the winter. Tension, the big oaf, is one of his shipmates. I mean I didn't care what profession he practiced, as long as he made a respectable living." Faydra said, spreading her hands as if to seem reasonable. Vypec had to suppress a snort of derision. As if anyone would mistake her for a reasonable person after her display today, least of all him...

"Yesterday I came home to my place to find his sea-knife, which he carries everywhere, sitting on my table and three of my five pups gone! I know it was him because he never leaves that damn knife anywhere." She said, stomping her foot. The woman seemed on the verge of tears. It was odd to see, for Vypec, who assumed if she was selling her puppies she must not be too emotionally connected to them. Perhaps it was the money she missed? Or perhaps she just worried that they were suffering.

"So what's this business with Tenisan?" Vypec asked, urging her to go on.

"Tenisan is his best friend. I went by Jorvid's place to see if he had them. I don't know why he would, but the place was a mess." Faydra went on. "When I didn't find him or the pups I went to Tenisan's place. They sulk around in there all the time. I thought that maybe they had taken the pups for some company or something. But when I got there Tenisan refused to say anything about Jorvid and pretended he didn't know anything about the pups." Faydra glowered across the market at Jorvid.

"So you didn't sleep with Tenisan like the man says?" Vypec inquired.

"No! That's disgusting!" Faydra shot at him. She seemed genuinely appalled at the idea. Vypec wasn't sure what to believe. Faydra seemed to be genuine, but he was far from confident in his ability to tell. So he turned to the one person he knew would have quality input, Vypal. The cynic could read the worst in people, and sometimes it was true and sometimes it wasn't. But he could always over-turn dark stones and reveal the ugly beneath. And sometimes that was exactly what you needed.

What do you think, brother? Vypec asked.

I think she stinks of falsehoods. I wouldn't trust her enough to turn my back. Vypal answered, clear distaste in his words. She's got a clear motive if Jorvid over there was telling the truth, and her story has lots of gaps. I'd ask her why Jorvid thinks she was cheating if she and Tenisan had met so much before. Wouldn't it be normal for a woman to socialize with her bandicoot's friends?

1170 words
Vypec
Night Stalker

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

A Duel Diverted [Kavala]

Postby Kavala on February 28th, 2016, 7:19 am

Kavala’s sympathies were swaying slightly towards the man’s side. She reached out her hand and waved it towards where the stone was shackling him to the ground and it melted into sand, easily freeing him from being restrained. The woman wasn’t making any sense, not really, though Kavala knew men could twist truth and make it seem like others were to blame as well. It was a tricky situation, which was why she was looking towards the Kuvay’Nas for his insight.

Vypec was gentle with the woman, firm, and he gripped her but didn’t seem to hurt her. Kavala kept watchful vigil, not making a move to interfere yet curious nonetheless as to where this all was going. She was starting to get invested in the story and was interested to know what happened to the dogs after all. Kavala leaned closer as the woman started to speak, but amused tolerance crossed her face as the woman said that she was conned and duped into another man’s bed.

That was shyke pure and simple. Just as she was trying to repress an amused grin, Vypec’s gaze sought hers and she locked eyes with him a moment. There was an unspoken message that passed between them. Kavala clearly looked like she didn’t believe the woman’s statements. Maybe about the dogs being stolen, yes, but about being duped? No. Not for a moment.

The Konti leaned back and crossed her arms over her chest, her stance casual even if her demeanor was not.

The dialog continued and Kavala looked on with interest. Finally Vypec turned to her and asked her to question the man. She nodded moving around him and kneeling by where the man had already sat up and was rubbing his wrist. She squatted easily, balancing on the heels of her boots so she was at eye level with Jorvid, and began to question him.

“While Faydra is telling Vypec what happened, why don’t I hear your side of it?” Kavala said gently, using all her Konti charm. She smiled gently, lowered her voice into a typical Konti whisper, and looked completely willing to hear him out. Her people, after all, were known as good listeners.

Jovid sighed. “What she says is true. I did lie to her, but only because I wanted to impress her. I didn’t know her well – by the void I still don’t in truth – and I wanted her to at least go to dinner with me. Women, you see, don’t like men that move around. They want permanent situations. I told a little lie. Truthfully it’s my brother who’s moved here to be a jewelcrafter and I am here just overwintering like she said… spending time with my brother and my shipmates while we wait out the bad weather. Riverfall is good for that at times.” He said, glancing around and looking slightly sheepish at admitting the lie. “Truth is my brother talked about getting me on with his Master so I wouldn’t have to keep sailing, but that’s not until spring when another of his apprentices are leaving… so it wasn’t really a lie. Not a real one at least.” The man said, stumbling slightly over it. “I was just jumping the starting line a bit. I meant no harm.” He explained as Kavala nodded.

“Okay… so she’s right so far. What then happened?” Kavala asked.

“Well, one thing led to another and she moved in. Got thrown out of her other place. Brought the dogs. But she was never home! I cared for them mostly. Sure she was there when they were born and they were hers. Money got tight. I didn’t have an income until I went back to sea or the apprenticeship started so it was mutual for us both. She paid the rent sometimes. But I got their food, cleaned their messes, and took them outside. It was a lot to handle. But I didn’t expect no payment. None at all. Having her around was enough. I thought I really found the one, you know?” He said, glaring at the woman who looked equally angry. “Turns out her ‘job’ wasn’t raising pups if you know what I mean. Turns out her job was raising other things and getting paid to do it. She was a whore to those Akalak. I guess I knew before she moved in. If I was honest to myself I really knew. But I thought she’d change. I thought helping her with the dogs would help her out of her situation, especially giving her a place to live.” He added, shaking his head. The man looked like he was about to weep.

“Of course my sea knife was there. I live there! It’s my place. I took out a lease all winter and she was just helping with it. And I wasn’t home when whatever happened there happened without me. I don’t know what happened to the pups. I wouldn’t have taken one or let alone three. They weren’t even weaned off their mom’s milk yet.” Jorvid said, as if someone stealing them was the most idiotic thing he’d ever heard of. Kavala nodded.

“Go on.”

“Well, I didn’t even go home. I didn’t know the dogs were missing. Tenisan didn’t meet us like he usually did, so after we got done having a pint, we all wandered over to his place. We often play a round of cards or two there. We’re there so often we just walk in. After all, he knew we’d come to find him since he didn’t show for a drink.” The sailor said, shaking his head. “There was no trick to what we found when we opened the door. She didn’t have a stitch of clothing on and she looked like she wasn’t being too coerced if you know what I mean. My old buddy was spending his drinking money on something altogether different.” He said with a growl, glaring at the woman being restrained by the big Akalak.

“Besides, Tenisan owed us money. He shouldn’t be paying whores when hes got gambling debts. He should have been out drinking and buying the rounds since he lost his hands the night before at cards. But he wasn’t doing that. Oh no, he was busy petching my girl…. My ex-girl.” Jorvid said, rubbing his wrist and glaring at Faydra. Faydra lunged his direction, cursing and denying his words, even as Vypec held her.

Kavala shook her head. She glanced up at Vypec and back at the two fighting people. “I don’t know who to believe. But I know how we can truthfully get to the bottom of this. We can ask the adult dogs who took the other pups. I’m sure the mother is missing them by now and if she was there saw the whole thing.” Kavala suggested suddenly, knowing the Akalak and the two squabbling humans might think she was crazy. “I am an animal healer… I can… well… lets just say we will all be able to understand them.” Kavala said, suggesting they go back to Jorvid or was it Faydra’s place and question the dogs.

1188/40681

Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

A Duel Diverted [Kavala]

Postby Vypec on March 5th, 2016, 3:47 am

An animal healer. Vypec listened to the Konti's words with stoic attention, this matter with puppies and scorned lovers was tiresome for the Akalak and he wanted it fixed. He had never really spent much time with animals, but was doubtful of their ability to give compelling evidence. But Kavala seemed to know more about it than he. Perhaps this was just some handler speak for picking up on clues in the animal's behavior? The Akalak nodded hesitantly, eyeing the two combatants again. He looked back at the woman whose temper had earned her more than a few bruises. A shame she is such an Cerulest. It churns my blood to hurt a female. He thought as he watched her favoring her good leg. He watched the pain etch itself into her face with a cool satisfaction.

I don't trust them, any of them. I know the Konti's shapely and all, but her claims with animals are hardly believable. Vypal said, his snide scorn reaching everyone involved. None were above the superiority of Vypec's brother. Sometimes, like now, it was quite a hindrance.

But Vypec was thinking on the part of Kavala's interview he had overheard. A debt. The fat friend owed them money. That pathetic sailor said so. Vypec had a growing concern that they were dealing with a perpetrator who might be smarter than to try to kill someone in the Zhongjie Warren. That awoke a cold anger in him. Somewhere there was a smug thief thinking they could tangle with the rules the Kuvay'Nas enforced. Vypec felt his emotions surging, and with them Vypal. The dark brother often rode these waves to the surface, glorying in the dark feelings.

Vypec managed to force his brother back into the recesses of their dark space. He rubbed a subtle glean of sweat from his shaved scalp and sighed. Time to make a decision. "Okay, we'll go and check out these dogs. See what we can find there. It's probably the best place to start...even if they don't speak to us in any way." Vypec shot Kavala a faint smile, trying to make sure she knew he was taking her seriously. Magic was magic to him. He had no idea whether she could make the dogs talk, or the moon turn red, or the ocean freeze. The only magic he knew was the darkness between, Akajia's magical gift.

Vypec watched and waited for Kavala to show her consent to this plan. Then he casually walked over to the man now standing a little apart from them, Jorvid his name was. Vypec gave him a swift knee to the side, an easy target to reach, though his aim was a bit off. The man hunched over and Vypec stepped back, struggling with his balance a bit as he did so. Vypal made a snide comment about abandoning the Tuvya Sasaran too soon in his training. "Right, so you're still a criminal, but we're going to check out this apartment of yours." Vypec pointed a thick purple finger at the man, his face a mask of cold apathy. "And both of you little shykes are coming with. Now, if either of you so much as speak to each other without permission, just once, I'm going to let my brother come out and cut your hands off. Then you can figure out how to kill each other." Vypec made sure Faydra knew he was talking to her as well.

The Akalak glanced at Kavala, hoping his words wouldn't unsettle her. He worried about letting Vypal do violence upon these two. The Akalak would be hard to rein in afterwards.

We both know it's you who relishes that kind of thing, Vypec. Vypal said. He ignored that.

Vypec tucked their weapons into his belt, planning to keep them no matter the outcome. The Kuvay'Nas Lodge could always use a few more blades. Vypec returned to where Kavala and the two shykes had assembled. He poked Jorvid viciously with one finger. "Start walking, petcher."
Vypec
Night Stalker

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

A Duel Diverted [Kavala]

Postby Kavala on March 7th, 2016, 3:53 am

Kavala thought Vypec had excellent listening skills. He hadn’t rushed to judgement against or for either of the two people and he’d actually seemed to believe her when she’d stated the incredible. Doubt didn’t read in his face as he listened, which truthfully she expected to be there. Even she wouldn’t have believed her own ability to discern the truth from the animals if she herself hadn’t experienced the gift manifesting.

He nodded, but she wasn’t exactly sure what he was nodding too. She did however recognize the look in his eye when his face went blank and he had a dialog with his brother. All Akalaks tended to have that trait. It looked as if their attention waned and on any other person it would have looked almost disrespectful. Kavala, however, was used to it. Even her own boys got the look when they were arguing inside or having any sort of serious discussion. She kept the Akalak in her view but turned her attention to the man and woman.

It was obvious they weren’t buying her story either. Kavala hoped this was something she could do, clearing up this disaster, and for the life of her she couldn’t understand why either of the two humans weren’t more believable. Humans repulsed her by and large. The only ones she tolerated were members of her own family and those that worked for her back at The Sanctuary. Those humans were trustworthy and had proven themselves so over and over. Most just proved time and time again that they couldn’t be trusted. These two childish petty souls were no different.

Kavala glanced back at the Akalak. She wished she could get a read on him better. He was polite in the extreme but very dedicated in doing his job. But there was also something dangerous about him. Maybe it was his dark brother or maybe it was just something his professionalism concealed because something inside her didn’t want to turn her back on him either. It wasn’t a continuous feeling but it happened enough she almost wondered if he was concealing a darker nature than he let on. Her inner warning bells proved truthful as he threatened both of them – or was that his brother – and then called them shykes. Their voice never changed but their demeanor did. Kavala watched cautiously trying to get clues as to which Akalak was at the surface now. She was sure it wasn’t the same as the one before. If they were indeed blending smoothly, Kavala would have to guess Vypec and his brother were two of the most balanced Akalak she’d ever seen, even though he made threats to the contrary. Bring the brother out to cut off hands? She was sure she’d seen the brother come forward at least once, if not more, during the interaction.

The Konti continued watching.

Faydra and Jorvid did as he asked and turned ready to be marched towards their home. In reality it was them leading the way. They had a small apartment on the city walls down near the port which was suited for the sailor. The walk wasn’t long and Kavala kept up easily with the two humans who made no deviations in making straight for the apartment.

They had a small low end apartment at the Cora Appartment Housing and by the look on the place on the outside the inside wasn’t clean. Kavala wrinkled her nose in horror as the couple unlocked the door and swung it open to admit the Kuvay’Nas and the Konti. There was trash everywhere. The floors had dog feces all over them and there were flies abundant throughout the apartment. Kavala was afraid to walk in and did so with great reluctance. She glanced at the Kuvay’Nas and at the pair that owned the place before looking around to find the animals. It was unusual because normal dogs would have greeted them at the doorway with a happy bark and perhaps the hopes of getting let out or a treat for having stayed at home.

There were no such barks.

Kavala, looking concerned, started a thorough search of the one-bedroom affair and finally found a malnourished female dog curled up in the corner with no puppies in sight. The dog had the air of hopelessness and listlessness seemingly had no desire to move. Kavala could see that her milk was of poor quality to begin with and that already she was drying up. The dog was extremely thin and Kavala swore she could count all her ribs.

Faydra piped up immediately. “Where are the rest of the pups?” She demanded marching forward and looking around herself. There was nothing around though except the mother dog curled up in the corner and looking like she’d given up on life. Kavala’s heart went out to her even as the dogs hunger and despair hit her in waves.

“I know she’s thin, but with all those puppies they really took her weight down fast.” Faydra explained as she seemed to realize Kavala was kneeling gently in front of the dog. The Konti gave the woman an unreadable look over her shoulder and glanced around noting there wasn’t even fresh water anywhere near where the dog lay. In fact there appeared to be none on the ground at all.

“Shes’ very thirsty. Can we get her some water please? Fresh?” Kavala asked, glancing over her shoulder at the Kuvay’Nas who seemed to be standing there equally stunned. Jorvid surprisingly turned to do the Konti’s bidding while Faydra seemed to be looking around for the rest of the puppies and getting more and more upset.

“Where are the other pups?” She demanded, not seemingly caring about the poor condition of the mother or that Jorvid was doing what she as the dogs owner should have done to begin with.

Kavala ignored the woman even as she started digging through clothing in the corner and throwing things randomly out of chairs as if those locations would contain hidden pups. Instead she moved closer to the dog and slowly reached out to run her hand across the animals head. “We are going to get you some water and then when you have drank your fill I’ve got some dried jerky in my beltpouch that’s all yours.” The Konti said gently, rubbing the dog first behind one ear and then the other, slowly letting her sniff the healer and get used to her presence.

When Jorvid sat the bowl down, Kavala didn’t even try to help the female dog up. She simply pushed the bowl over where the bitch could get to it and let her slowly drink her fill. The dog didn’t hesitate and Kavala signed in relief as the thirst feelings emanating from the dog abated left only by the hunger and misery. “I’m Kavala.” The Konti said, introducing herself to the dog carefully. “I’m a healer that works on your kind. I have dogs myself, though not of your breed.” The Konti said, not sure exactly what breed the dog was. In better condition she probably could have determined the answer, but as she was, Kavala had no idea.

Hands dipped into the Konti’s belt pouch and she pulled forth several strips of jerky. She began feeding pieces to the dog slowly, letting her wolf down first few strips but then chew the rest carefully. “Chew these.. don’t gulp.” She added, and then glanced at the woman behind her.

“It’s shameful that this dog is so hungry and thirsty and with her just having had pups. No animal should know hunger or thirst. It is a caretaker’s duty – an owners duty – to see to their needs. She can’t get outside to hunt or drink, not with closed doors and a liter to nurse. What in the world were you thinking?” The Konti said, quite angry now.

Her gentle scaled hands continued to stroke the dog though, letting her know it wasn’t her fault and that the Konti’s anger wasn’t directed at her.

Faydra said nothing at first, but exchanged angry glances at Jorvid, who simply shrugged as if to say he’d told her this over and over again. Kavala’s whole attention was focused on the dog.

Unfortunately she had no injuries – or perhaps fortunately – for the healer to deal with. Starvation wasn’t curable by her gnosis and neither was abuse through neglect. The Konti continued to stroke the dogs’s head until she finally asked the animal carefully…. “What is your name sweetheart?”

The dog turned and looked at Kavala then, finally starting to fill full, even though she’d only drank water and ate a few strips of jerkey. “I’m called Fern.” The dog said clearly, stating her name very clearly. Everyone in the room heard her speak. “When is Tenisan coming back? He said he’d take the pups first and then come back for me. He promised us food and water and a cleaner place to live. He loves dogs. She doesn’t.” The bitch said, peeling back her teeth and growling at the woman slightly. She felt emboldened now that the Konti was kneeling between her and the woman. Plus, her stomach was full and her thirst slacked so she was feeling better already. Kavala placed a comforting hand on her head.

“The man you don’t know? The Akalak in the Kuvay’Nas tunic? He’s here to help you and to find the puppies. He’s also the one that can say you can go with Tenisan or make this woman feed you. Someone hasn’t been, that much is obvious.” The Konti said, a hint of anger still in her voice.

Fern looked Kavala in the eyes and nodded. Faydra doesn’t feed me. Jorvid does sometimes when he remembers. Faydra is too busy with her own problems and her own needs to see to anyone else’s. That’s why we are here. She’s no other place to take us and Jorvid didn’t say no.” The dog said, quite intelligent and quite aware of the situation around Faydra it seemed.

The Konti turned around and caught Vypec’s eyes, wondering what he thought of all this?

Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

A Duel Diverted [Kavala]

Postby Vypec on March 9th, 2016, 7:10 pm

Vypec watched in disbelief. In his life he had developed well established, concrete opinions on things such as animals, talking, and intelligence. He had thought that the fact that something was an animal firmly set it apart from him in terms of intellect. He thought that dogs, though empathetic and acutely connected to the sentient races, had no sentience themselves. These core beliefs were now coming crashing down around him. The dog was speaking, conversing with Kavala. This woman was truly unique. Vypec had never met someone like her. She spoke to animals and conjured magic with the nonchalance one reserves for mundane tasks like speaking or walking. He wondered, not for the first time, what her story was.

The Akalak was able to mostly hide the shock in his expression, having practiced the art of stoicism all his life. Kavala hadn't been speaking in metaphors when she claimed to speak to animals and understand them. Vypec watched as Jorvid hovered behind Kavala, ready to help her aid the dog. The woman, Faydra, was clearly less concerned with her property's wellbeing. Vypec felt his opinions of these two solidifying, and it wasn't looking good for this woman.

There was that name again, Tenisan. Tenisan who was a central figure in the duel and in the dog's life it seemed. Tenisan who was friend to both offenders and the dog alike. Vypec was beginning to paint a picture in his mind of what he suspected had happened. He wasn't sure how relevant the woman's fidelity was to the case of the missing puppies, but he knew Tenisan was. The situation had fast devolved into a wild goose chase for these pups. Somehow, the secret to this whole mess rode the wake of these puppies. He wasn't sure what decision he would make about the puppies, but he knew that both Jorvid and Faydra had crossed blades in a public place, putting countless Rivarians in danger. Their guilt in that regard was indisputable. Vypec decided against making his verdict known to them, opting to allow them to think he may be swayed to forget their infractions with cooperation.

Vypal eagerly awaited his chance to instill some of what he saw as Rivarian justice. The Dark Brother had stirred with excitement at the heavy handed threat made earlier. He cared not for victim or puppy. He cared for the enforcement of Akajia and Wysar's laws, and the respect of authority in Riverfall. His impersonal zeal for the law was only matched by Vypec's own cold view. He began to contemplate the possible punishments.

"We should find Tenisan. It seems that he would be able to tell us more." Vypec said to Kavala. The female dog seemed to be connecting to the Konti, bonding by virtue of her kindness. Vypec approached hesitantly. He didn't want to spook the dog. He knelt beside the beast and laid a gentle hand on her head, rubbing behind her ears. The animal had clearly not received much love, her body withered and unnaturally thin. He made a decision then, this dog would not be remaining in Faydra's care, if he could help it. Taking away the scam that was her income would be a good way to punish the woman.

Vypec stood and said a to the room at large. "The next step is to find this other sailor, Tenisan. We're going to see what he can tell us about the situation and then I will decide what to do with the two... offenders." He turned to Kavala and spoke more personally, reining in the harsh bite of authority in his words. "What can be done for the dog? Can she be moved? I am hesitant to leave her alone here after the treatment she has had to deal with." His eyes flashed, a gleam of anger directed towards Faydra. "I have little experience with animals and defer to your expertise."
Vypec
Night Stalker

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes