PM to join Fall to purpose.

Alex gets his backside beat in the training grounds by the instructor.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Fall to purpose.

Postby Alexander Faircroft on January 7th, 2016, 2:47 am

2nd Winter 515AV

Sleep. Oh to sleep. The greatest joy a man can have is the ability to dream, the power to see those dreams realised. Something Alex was not being afforded as of late Sleep came with great difficulty and when attained it was all too brief and never filled with dreams. Like a blank void it consumed him. He found that lack of focus to be his undoing as the weighty pommel of knight Antinous’ blade found and made contact with his jaw. Knocking his head reeling and not only snapping him to attention but showing him a colourful array of stars. He shook his head violently and rubbed the now stinging sore spot with his free hand. The wooden blade thankfully a little softer on him than steel still he could already feel the welt beginning to form.

“You need to fall to purpose. Lose your focus, lose your head like that in real combat.” Ow, ow, ow, ow, ow. Is that blood i can taste? His instructor stood before him sword and shield in arms Alex was never really one for the bastard sword however it was essential to his training that he learn to be at least proficient with the blade. He gripped the sword firmly raising the steel heater shield up to cover his torso mirroring the instructor. A firm grip on both but one fuelled by the pain of the blow struck to his jaw. He shook his head lightly as his instructor spoke.
“Right strike high, then low. Aim for the shoulder then the leg. Use the momentum of your swings to destabilize their defences. Then you strike to force off balance.” Ok that seems simple enough. I can do that nothing to difficu- As if to punctuate this Antinous swung firmly and with deft practice, not to mention speed. The first strike to his left shoulder Alex raised his arm to try and defend. Soon as the thump on his arm was heard, he watched the blade dart away with amazing speed and strike his left ankle. Ow! Oh great, that was practised and now my leg hurts. Ow. Ow.

“Make your opponent move, force them to react to your blows. The more they’re on the defensive the less chance they have to attack. Now try it.” Right pay back time! Alex braced himself and sank a little lower hiding his face behind his shield partially as he struck. Bringing the blade over his right shoulder he struck at Antinous’ left shoulder where his shield was, as he motioned to bring the blade around and strike at his foot Antinous’ shield was already there waiting for the strike. Without realizing it Alex had dropped his guard and a loud thud wrecked his body with pain. He felt his instructors training sword greet his clavicle with a resounding thud. His entire left arm went numb for a moment as he just took in how much defending was important alongside attacking. Ahhh peeeee, no. Deal with it. Your own fault, you're hear to learn roll with it struggle through the pain.

“Keep your arms tight, you drop your guard as you swing because your strikes are too wild. It’s not a club you wield. But a sword, a refined tool of death and protection.” Arms tight, strikes narrow. Small room for error but focus on the target. The strike will come in time. If only i could feel my shield arm... Antinous spoke and Alex dared not turn his attention away as he watched Antinous’s form. His shield a good distance from his body unlike Alex’s attempt to brace it with his torso. Antinous’ sword was also A lot further back than Alex had been holding his. The point almost held level with the shield, his stance much lower and his feet further apart. Alex tried to mimic this however it felt awkward having his sword so far back. However this was something he’d get used to in time.
“Your stance is as important as your strikes if not more so. With unstable footing even the surest strike can be defeated. You need a stable base a firm grounding. You’re not going to go too far wrong when following my style. However it’s often good to find your own stance, as something that feels unnatural can often be a down fall. Now fall in beside me.” Form training, strike training. Well i need to learn it at some point. Please dont be painful...The next bell or so was spent simply following basic slashes and thrusts. However Antinous stopped swinging after the first ten minutes instead circling Alex. Every time he broke stance or dropped his shield, broke the angle of the swing, misplaced his foot Alex could feel the swift sting of the training blade smack the offending limb hard making it harder to follow instruction but knowing he’d get it every time he did he persevered. At the end of the bell long stretch he could feel large bruises littering his limbs and that wasn't counting the pain in his jaw or shoulder. Wysar give me strength. Let this end soon. Please let this end soon. This feels like brutality, does he do this to everyone or am i just that aweful...Ahhh. Ow. Ow.
“Take a rest. We pick this back up again in ten chimes.”Antinous barked at him. His arms sank like anchors even just walking now was painful as he laid the weapons down on the rack. Sitting lightly on a nearby bench he winced rubbing his joints and the sore marks from the strikes. The next few hours here were going to kill him. If not then it would definitely make him stronger.
Last edited by Alexander Faircroft on January 11th, 2016, 2:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Alexander Faircroft
A criminal, without a crime.

Words: 945306
Joined roleplay: January 5th, 2016, 9:21 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Fall to purpose.

Postby Alexander Faircroft on January 7th, 2016, 6:11 am

The ten chimes of respite wasn’t much but then it wasn’t supposed to be. This was a drill training and something that was going to be drilled into him. Every mistake beaten into him to not repeat again. Every strike to build up a pain tolerance. The bell of constant motion to build up his endurance, his stamina. He hissed his breath out through gritted teeth as he rubbed the sore posts out of his arms and legs. He felt rough, the sleep deprivation he was suffering too wasn’t helping. He couldn’t think he couldn’t focus. If nothing he was getting mentally tougher enduring this and following through on motions. Time and time again.
Just follow what he tells you. He’s beating your body to strengthen it, brace yourself. Izurdin give me patience, Wysar grant me discipline. His body groaned and whined at him to stay put. He rose still.

“Up squire. Pick up the weapons again this time I hope your motions are easier to manage.” Antinous simply smirked as he spoke and pushed Alex to form and bid him begin. The time passed at a snail’s pace each swing of his arms agony. The wooden training blade felt as lead. His breaths hissed out with pain as he swung and with the first of the winces of pain he felt the sharp sting of the training blade at his back. “Combat is as much a mental thing as a physical. Never show the enemy anything but a smile. Never let them know you feel the pain. Push through. Again.” Antinous barked out these words and they seemed to resonate within Alex, however as this pushed through him he felt the sting of the blade against his back again. Firm enough to cause pain but not damage. Push through. It’s nothing. Use it. Gods above it hurts. He could feel this teeth scraping across each other the silver teeth in his jaw pressing into his gums amplifying the pain.

The half bell passed and Alex could feel the strikes across his back more akin to lashes then sword blows. He groaned and held form until told otherwise.

“Drop the training gear. And take a longer rest. You’ve done well…enough.” Alex’s arms fell to his side. All feeling within them faded. He held his grip long enough to place the training blade and shield back, they slipped from his fingers clattering into the stands. Kneeling he lifted the shield with both hands straining his arms to get it onto the rack. Lift it. Stronger. How can you honour her memory, how can you honour anything without the strength to push. He groaned and hoisted the shield up. Slipping it back onto the rack she sword followed in kind both hands lifting the wooden blade like a leaden weight. He crumpled onto the bench. His body cried out in agony. Drop the bravado. Scream, vent, release, and let the pain out! No, no, hold it. Keep it deep inside bury it. Hide the pain, bottle the anger release it at someone who deserves it. Alex doubled over wringing his hands together feeling the anger and pain bubble.

A few deep breaths and a chime or two later Alex’s pain and anger began to subside. Bottled harnessed. Stored away for later use. A vintage of his own make ready for some unlucky fool to sample and then dine upon. Half a bell passed and Alex’s body began to calm the fiery inferno of pain though the tenderness of the muscles and the feeling of fatigue still weighed heavily upon his shoulders. His eyelids finally heavy still he had to push to stay awake. As he calmed himself he flet the splash of icy cold water fall over his sweat slicked brow. Jolting him back to alertness and soaking him through. He swung his head around looking for the source of the water. Seeing only a flash of armour in the wake of the stairwell. Alex shook his head flicking beads of water into the air.

Another half bell passed and as Alex could finally feel his body again he rose from the bench only to see A smaller woman approaching him.

“I saw the beating that you took there. You’re…sufficient at holding it together. However, your face still shows the pain you’re enduring clean as day.” A small chuckle escaped her as she beheld the miserable sight that was Alex now beaten and partially shattered. And who is this to come and kick me in my agony now. “The longsword isn’t really my weapon of choice I much prefer a smaller lighter approach. Daggers are more my forte, though not so much as my longbow.” He winced lightly as he stepped forwards to the training rack readying himself to pick up the sword and shield again, only to be stopped by Miriam. “The why don’t you learn from me. I prefer the dagger as well, as much as I know that swords are more the preferred weapon style of the knights. Still let’s see how much…Skill you have with a smaller blade.” She smirked as Alex reached into the weapons rack and pulled out a small wooden training dagger. The weight was different in his hands. Not as heavy as his own but then again it was wood.

He stepped towards her wielding the blade with a reversed grip the blade pointing towards the ground. The handle hold his father had taught him. She however simply held the blade the normal way around the blade pointing up. As Alex moved to step into her area was when all havoc broke loose. He moved to make a single swing. Before he finished the motion her wooden weapon already met his throat.
She’s fast…Scarily so. “Like before with the sword your moves are wide, slow, and sloppy. I sincerely hope your bow work is better than your blade work.”
Alexander Faircroft

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Fall to purpose.

Postby Alexander Faircroft on January 7th, 2016, 6:46 pm

The jibe hit home and Alex felt a spark of regret for not learning as much as he could from his family. His form slackened even with the blade to his throat…He let his arms fall to his sides for a second before hearing her barking orders at him.

“Who said were done? It’s your job to get better and it’s our job to make you, now lift your arms, and come at me again. Keep your form tight and aim for the vitals.” Her tone sharp but poignant. He lifted his arms again his resolve a little shaken seeing how weak he truly was, even with the soreness, the stiffness, and even the lack of form. No don’t think like that. You’re going to be fighting like this in situations that are beyond your control. You’re going to be tired you’re going to be beaten. Get used to it. Steele yourself. Fight on. With that Alex pulled his his form tighter, dropping lower almost laying the blade flat against his arm as he moved. He stepped around her following her motions. He dared his right hand out again aiming for her neck, no avail. As he drew closer her unnerving speed batted his hand away and within an instant pressed the edge of her wooden dagger at his inner thigh. Too fast. She’s too fast I can’t even enter her space without her batting me away and getting in a deadly strike.

“A battered knight facing a fresh opponent is always difficult. And it becomes nigh impossible when they are skilled.“ She spoke calmly almost curtly as she withdrew the edge of her dagger. “Fighting like this is not uncommon. So your skills must be sharpened to the point where you can use them under even the most extreme of circumstance. Again.” As she withdrew Alex crumpled his form tightly together again sinking as low as he could logically get. Taking low sliding steps he circled her. She has the speed advantage and the experience advantage nullifying any that I might have. I’m beaten in every sense but this isn’t about winning this is about learning. He steeled himself for another showing up but stepped in this time with the side hand emptied. Trying to hide his blade behind his other motions. Attempting to make her think he’d traded hands with the blade he brought his left hand in towards her stomach only to fint it batted away and in a singular motion she drew her wooden weapon over his forearm back over his bicep and then up to his throat resting the blade against his neck.
“Daggers are inherently faster than swords this is true, but they’re also good for disabling your opponents without killing them. Right there I took away your weapon arm and I now have you pinned with a blade at your throat.” She smirked a little before stepping back and punching him square in the gut. Hard enough to knock the wind from his lungs. And the dagger from his hand which clattered against the ground. “Every time you fail is another time you die. Between myself and my father you’ve died roughly fifty times already. Now pick your blade back up and try again.” Alex groaned audibly and bent down to pick up the wooden blade. Suck it in deal with it push through the pain, fight. He flipped the dagger this time using it the right way up. Stretching a hand out and keeping the dagger back trying to keep a firm foothold as he stepped around. This time she struck first though mid-step she darted a hand out and grabbed his wrist. Tugging on it she knocked him of balance, kicking his other leg out from under him she knocked him on his ass before pressing her wooden blade at his throat again. “Sloppy. Very sloppy. Perhaps it’s a bit much for you to train this exhaustedly at this juncture in your service as a squire. Go rest.” Alex heaved out his breaths on the ground having landed squarely on the sore spot of the strikes from Antinous. Damnit boy, pull yourself together strengthen your resolve and get this weak thing you call a body into shape. You will get stronger or how can you hope to help anyone?

Alex winced as he rose from the cold hard floor. Each point of impact screaming out in defiance at him. With a small limp to his step he spirited himself away from the training grounds to soothe his battered body. He could feel the bruises begin to form. And pucker with pain at every movement.
Alexander Faircroft

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Fall to purpose.

Postby Konrad Venger on March 14th, 2016, 3:49 am

Nice job! Your work has pleased The Sloth!

Alexander

XP:
Endurance - 2
Weapon: Sword, Bastard - 2
Observation - 1
Dagger - 3

Lore:
Bastard Sword: Destabilize your Opponent
Bastard Sword: Not a Club
Swordsmanship: Proper Stance
Endurance: Take the Knocks
Miriam: Dagger Friendly and Scary-Fast
Dagger: Reverse Grip

Click Me! :
No Shield Points, sadly, since this didn't meet the "four posts minimum" that the rules require. However! A joy to read, and it's going to be interesting seeing how your templates evolve as I grade these. Be careful how much you try to pack into these threads, however. I can only away 5 points in any skill no matter the length of the stories, and there has to be a MINIMUM of five posts to get those points and even THEN it's no guarantee you'll get the max.

But you probably know this. Hence your rather prodigious post rate... and all the new friends you've made. Good work, Prety Boy. ;)

Oh, and please make sure you go back and edit your post in the Request Thread to reflect the fact this one is now done and dusted. PM me with any questions and later 'tater!

||Common||Thoughts||Pavi||Fratava||Myrian||Other's Speaking||
Note: As of Fall 517AV, Konrad is known only as "Hansel" in Endrykas
Konrad Venger
Long is The Way and Hard

Words: 1060755
Joined roleplay: November 23rd, 2015, 4:05 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 4