Recording Horizons (Casimir)

Atticus and Casimir get their space on. (Job thread)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

Postby Atticus Leslie on March 26th, 2016, 2:46 pm

"It was the water. I heard someone else had strange things happen. But it's okay. Seriously." He saw the Ethaefal smile, which he wasn't sure if he believed. It seemed just as pained as the words he had previously offered. Whatever was happening he wasn't dealing with it well, which was concerning in the least.

"Just talk. Please. For me." He added, smiling again. It seemed a bit desperate at this point, but anything Atticus could do to help.

He sighed and pushed himself back to his desk, checking to see if the starmaps were complete for the astronomers. He took a moment to fill out a couple more objects on the Late Winter map, then closed his books and organized what he needed for his work into a separate pile, the books he had borrowed into an adjacent pile, and made sure they were neat. Atticus took his journal in hand and flipped idly through the pages, trying to find his hypotheses. He wasn't sure why exactly Casimir had shown interest in his work, but he didn't mind. As long as he wasn't distracting from work.

He rolled his seat next to Casimir and opened his book to the appropriate page. It reminded him loosely of a long time ago when he had done the same thing to his mother, read to her to lighten her mood. He hoped it would have the same effect on Casimir. It seemed like Atticus was in a position where helping him could be necessary and he had seemed to open himself to the stargazer, which he wasn't sure whether he should be careful and vastly grateful for the trust given or trepiditious given the possible consequences of playing with this poor man's psyche. Caution would have to be exhibited in fair amounts with such delicate handlings.

Atticus, while sitting next to Casimir, observed his height, and realized it would be easier to sit on the actual desk next to him while he read. He placed his hand delicately on his notes to prevent them from getting crinkled as he placed himself slightly above Casimir, with his feet on the chair below. He scooted a bit closer. Atticus opened the book and placed it just so both parties could read along comfortably if they so desired, clearing his throat before he began reading off of his own pages.

"I've come to the necessary conclusion that light is produced by objects with means I cannot yet describe, but it cannot be created organically and sent, otherwise, in a darker environment, they would be easily visible by onlookers. With that in mind, there are a few concepts to be considered." He began. He placed his finger on the list his journal described, moving it down with each item he rehearsed.

"What is light composed of? How quickly does it move to meet our eyes if things like stars require telescopes to view? Does everything produce light, or simply reflect? Is there a finite amount of light to be had that is perpetually reflected off of the appropriate objects? Can the speed of light be used to estimate the exact distance of stars? How does light move? Is light linear in movement? What is the shape of light?" He cleared his throat. His notes went onto hypotheses. "I have hypothesized that light inherently is incredibly small in single parts to not be easily or previously detected to my knowledge. I also believe that light either moves very quickly or are preexisting strands connected to their source like string, able to reconfigure after being interrupted (shadows). I believe that if light were to move, it would be at speeds yet unheard of, and immeasurable by any current means (though I do aim to try)." He looked over at Casimir, and realized he had rambled. He closed the book, a bit bashful of his subpar understanding of physics and mathematics, and apologized. "Sorry... So um... In summary, light is produced by things through means I cannot yet describe. And um. It's either sent out or already exists in strands. My next move is to investigate what it's uh..." He rubbed the back of his neck nervously. "Composed of. I have experiment ideas but it's... Complicated. And requires... Stuff. So I won't get into it."

He glanced over at Casimir. He hoped the Ethaefal had profited from this, because Atticus was deeply embarrassed. He supposed it didn't matter much as long as Casimir gained from it.

He hoped he did.
Faceclaim credit to Bee. Love her.

For my friends and thread partners: An explanation
Atticus Leslie
It's a boy's name!

Words: 60564
Joined roleplay: May 13th, 2015, 11:23 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Casimir on April 1st, 2016, 8:19 pm

He leafed through the journal, then sat up on the desk, feet on the chair to gain height. The Ethaefal smiled, not having realised the size of this tiny boy, at least compared to his height as Ethaefal. Placing the journal between them, he began to speak, Casimir trying this best to keep up.

The words that came out of his mouth all made sense on their own, but Casimir had to struggle to get his head around it. What he said had logic though, and he could see how the conclusion worked. Whether it was right or not, Casimir couldn't tell.

Then Atticus exploded into a list of questions, only making Casimir think more. What exactly was light? Some sort of substance? Magic? Energy? He had never thought much about it, but Atticus had inspired so many new questions. Most were so much more complex than anything Casimir would have even thought of. Speed of light, reflections and shape. Did light even have a speed? It was instant. As you as you lit a candle, there was light. So either it was instant, or just incredibly fast. Casimir shook off the thought, returning back to focus on Atticus. He must have considered all this before hand.

And as he spoke, he revealed this, hypothesizing what Casimir had only wondered about. Tiny light and strings that move at immeasurable speeds. Yet he aimed to try. Casimir smiled at this boy who planned to measure the unmeasurable. He was glad the boy had spoken about this, so passionately, distracting both from the strange things in Casimir's mind. When he looked up, he seemed embarrassed of speaking so much, yet Casimir didn't care. The Ethaefal could speak for forever too, yet liked to listen more. After all, all he spoke was nonsense - it was clear that this was Atticus' passion.

"Don't be sorry." Casimir grinned, listening to the summary. "Maybe you can tell me about the investigation. It's really interesting, it really is." He felt enlightened, even though he hadn't been able to understand, or at least comprehend much. Feeling obliged to add something of his own, Casimir racked his brain for something somewhat related. "Perhaps you have ideas why light looks different underwater, at least..." he debated whether to mention the fact he was Charoda. For some reason, he hid it. "To us. I suppose the fish see it normally-" he knew the fish saw it normally "-but when we look underwater, it's all distorted? It's so strange, isn't it?"

Casimir looked out of the window, called towards the sea. It sat there with its mighty glory, large and never-ending, and above it, Leth reached down to touch it, slowly descending. Slowly descending...

Before Atticus could reply, Casimir burst up, gathering his notebook. "Thank you so much for that, it was so interesting," he smiled, nodding, "Maybe we could discuss more next time? I just need to go - I'm going to be late, you see?" He grinned again, stepping away. With a wave of the hand, the Ethaefal disappeared, walking briskly, then, when out of sight, bursting into a run, moving through the streets of Lhavit with two things on his mind:

Getting to the ocean; and the mysteries of light.
Casimir
Player

Words: 24503
Joined roleplay: January 1st, 2016, 8:03 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet

Postby Aladari Coolwater on July 26th, 2016, 9:12 pm

ImageGrades Ahoy!

Name:Casimir

XP Award:
  • Astronomy +1
  • Drawing +2
  • Socialization +3
  • Physics +2
Lore:
  • Physics: Light Produced by Objects
  • Physics: Light Moves
  • Can Visit a Doctor for Voices
  • Astronomy: Stars Move

Name:Atticus Leslie

If you should ever return, please PM me and I will post your grade.

Comments :
I'm surprised I never read one of your threads, Casimir. It was enjoyable to read and easy to follow. I hope you can write more often, so I can read more of your work in the future.

If you have any questions, or feel I missed anything, please contact either me or Orkestar and we will figure it out. Thanks!
"The sea always filled her with longing, though for what she was never sure."
- Cornelia Funke
Aladari Coolwater
Rock the boat.

Words: 267621
Joined roleplay: March 8th, 2016, 3:26 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3