Closed [Western Quarter] Future Enterprise

Pulren and Imass have a discussion.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Known as the Celestial Seat, Nyka is a religious city in Northern Sylira. Ruled by four demigods and traversed by a large crevice, the monk-city is both mystical and dangerous. [Lore]

[Western Quarter] Future Enterprise

Postby Imass on December 27th, 2015, 12:05 am

Winter 36, 515 AV, Mid-Day

Imass and Palaren quietly ambled through the streets of Nyka discussing their plans for the future. Being an obvious foreigner, the Akalak got a lot of glances from people in the streets, his human companion not so much. The Knight was unarmed, leaving his bow in his bedroom.

The Knight knew that their every step was being watched by the Monks. They already didn't like Imass too much after his stunt at the Delivery Burearu and his brawl at Arsa's Bath House, but hopefully his positive mercenary work had deterred their ire, "I stick out like a sore thumb, Palaren, I do not like this hostility I receive here, but alas I must live with it," He wandered how quickly the monks from the different sectors communicated to each other.

"Ahem, anyways, it is no good leaving Nyka in the winter. We will surely perish to the woes of overland travel," Imass spoke quietly with his hands behind his back while they ambled, "I am unwilling to take any chances on this expedition, as I have seen several battles in the wilds, all of them close encounters. We need to create a caravan, for I am unwilling to ride with evil men. The question of supplies, armaments, and transportation comes to mind as well. We have our work cut out for us before Spring. We need to find more work..."

Imass paused and listened to Palaren's wise words.
Last edited by Imass on February 17th, 2016, 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Imass
Veteran of the Sahova Campaign

Words: 431651
Joined roleplay: June 19th, 2012, 4:35 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1)

[Western Quarter]Future Enterprise

Postby Pulren Marsh on January 16th, 2016, 12:47 am

It was nice to get out and wander a bit, especially with a friend. Pulren couldn't claim he had that many friends. Most were women and were either friendly friends or they were strict mercenary friends. What a strange life he had now, carousing with the kind of people he would have busted as a Wave Guard. Petch that. He was one of those people now. It did feel good to work on one's own merits and have the world ready to peel back and expose its secrets at his own peril. Unlike his blue friend, Pulren did not feel safe without some kind of protection. His shield was not with him, as it was cumbersome outside of an obvious battle situation. The trident, however, was his companion and current walking staff.

"You mean because you're blue? I wouldn't worry about it. These weirdos here can't really judge anyone. It reminds me of Sahova here, with its odd rules and odd citizens. I saw shyke there that I could never scrub from my eyes with wire brushes. So don't sweat it, man." The monks were an odd lot, but when one considered the presence of four Alvina, a crack in the world and shyke like flying sharks, it really wasn't that big of a deal.He listened on as Ser Imass continued, wondering about how Knights managed the stresses of life. From the two he had met, they were pretty high strung. It seemed like he wanted to take a caravan, but no..he wanted to make a caravan. His beliefs prohibited him from riding with evil men. Was Pulren evil? He had surely spilled his share of blood.

"We need to run our own caravan? Doesn't that mean we have to hire the teams and carry the stuff inside? That sounds like a lot of extra money for just the discomfort of being around people you don't like. Maybe you should explain this more clearly to me. I have always taken ships to places, so this is my first time taking the route over land."
Last edited by Pulren Marsh on March 28th, 2016, 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pulren Marsh
Your favorite Uncle

Words: 503518
Joined roleplay: March 22nd, 2014, 3:33 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

[Western Quarter]Mob Rules

Postby Imass on January 16th, 2016, 9:04 am

"I agree, but it is not my skin I think. Alas I feel that they simply do not like Knights Syliran. They are very strange, choosing to show no sanctuary to a prisoner of war, though they showed me quarter. I should have known... especially since they sent no aide to the Campaign efforts,"

As they ambled, Imass wandered how Pulren could be so nonchalant and relaxed about their endeavors. Even the way he carried himself, using a trident as a walking staff, was completely different than how the Knight carried himself. Then again all the Wave-guards he had met in the passed were very calm souls who operated mostly in the present. The only impression that the skeptic Garonn trusted about Palaren though, was that he was a good man and a reliable worker.

Trying to figure out how to get back to Syliras had been running through Imass' mind repeatedly ever since he had came to Nyka, "Traveling from Nyka to Sylira will require a team of dedicated warriors. Yuk-men, bandits, magicians and terrible monsters plague the overland routes. We cannot do it as a pair without taking a terrible risk of failure and I do NOT plan on failing," The Knight shot a disheartening glance to Pulren, "I do not know the way either, for there is no road from this blasted city. Nor do I trust the vile wetlands and cursed bogs that surround this area,"

Imass sighed, rubbing his eyes, "We do not necessarily have to hire an entire team, we could always insert ourselves into one, or have the resourcefulness to create a team without resources. I am a big believer in the power of Faith and Willpower..." Imass paused and thought for awhile, "That all being said though, you inadvertently brought up an excellent point to my attention Palaren. Tell me, how long would a sea voyage to Syliras take from here?"
Imass

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

[Western Quarter]Future Enterprise

Postby Pulren Marsh on January 20th, 2016, 3:47 am

Pulren didn't really understand why the monks of Nyka would have a problem with the Knights of Syliras. Why didn't people just mind their own damned business. At least the Knights ventured out of their precious city rather than just lord over it with some kind of chip on their shoulder. A smile and shrug was his response to Imass on that front. Politics were stupid, especially where large organizations were involved. Just make your money, worship your Gods and get on with it. Their walk was refreshing and he liked having a simple discussion, whatever the reason.

Fortunately, a topic that he particularly enjoyed came along with the subject of Geography. "You sure do set your sights high, Ser Imass. You come here with almost nothing, literally. Now, you are ready to take on the route to Syliras and you don't plan to fail. You have to try to be realistic. Faith and Willpower are fine drivers, though. Might help you get to where you want to go in life." Seeing a bench, he stopped and took a seat, his trident across his lap. Scratching his beard a little, he seemed very perplexed by the blue man's words.

"No road? That doesn't make any sense. How in the many years since the Valterrian has anyone managed to get up here? They couldn't have all come by boat. There's no way we could go to Syliras by boat from here. If there is a way, I don't know it. I know the geography of Sylira pretty well and I can't recall any way to do that. Land is the only way we are getting there and a caravan is the only choice we have. Sorry." He thought about something there and then. Looking around and seeing that there was no one too close, he beckoned Imass a little closer.

In a hushed tone, he made a small confession. "Since we're going to travel together and I feel you are trustworthy, I'll let you in on a little secret. Palaren Marshall is my mercenary name. My real name is Pulren Marsh. I'm still from Zeltiva, born and bred. Palaren is for the reputation. Pulren's just a fisherman. Good to meet you, Ser Imass." He extended his hand in friendship. It seemed like the right thing to do.
Last edited by Pulren Marsh on March 28th, 2016, 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pulren Marsh
Your favorite Uncle

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

[Western Quarter]Mob Rules

Postby Imass on January 21st, 2016, 2:38 pm

Imass remained silent as he listened to the words of his work partner, trying to soak in every piece of information. The Knight knew that if he was to be a leader among men and women he must learn to follow proper advice when given to him. He remembered one of the mottos his Knight Patron 'Mustache': Be prepared or be prepared to die! The fact Palaran had been using an alias did not trouble him. Mizahar was a dangerous place and strange mercenaries could easily be uncouth in nature or cutthroat.

Shaking Pulren's hand firmly, Imass looked him in the eye with his dull yellow ones, "Well met Pulren. May our friendship be profitable, altruistic, and safe," Imass was no coward, but the Sahovan war had thought him not to be foolhardey in his martial endeavors.

They continued their amble through the Western Quarter, "Do not be sorry for presenting valid information Palaren," Imass would still call him by his alias, because after all Pulren was just a fisherman, "So voyage overseas is not applicable. Verily, that would be much easier, but we will just tough out the overland journey regardless. And yes, it's hard to believe in such dark times here on Mizahar, that Nyka would apply such a isolationist domestic policy. I do not understand the four gods here, nor do I wish to, less even my tolerance. Though people are people and they deserve life. I pray to MY gods that one day the light of Sylirs vision reaches their eyes,"

Imass snorted and spat, "The winter chill has brought on a slight cold... So yes, we must find a guide who knows the wild and more hands and more swords. If we cannot find them, we must get hired on to a merchants caravan. We must be as resourceful as possible; gold doesn't motivate everyone. I am sure there are people whom want to travel to Syliras and the reassurance of a caravan might be enough,""
Imass

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Pulren Marsh on March 28th, 2016, 8:57 am

While he was glad that Imass had presented such honor as he was beginning to expect from the blue Knight, he did find himself at a loss. Had he been too hasty to put out the option of sailing? In some ways, it might be just as efficient. It wasn't a straight line, but it would certainly be easier and less strenuous. Of course, Pulren loved the sea and longed to be in it, so he was clearly biased. "Your ideas make sense, Ser Imass. I am not completely sure if I want to move on yet, but I can certainly see and understand your need and desire to return to your rightful place among your people. I made the conscious choice to see my dreams of travel become reality, so here I am." It felt good to say it. He had no reason to leave yet. He had his whole life to travel and while he intended to do so, to do so without truly exploring the city he was currently visiting seemed like robbing himself of his own experience.

"That being said, I think actually that sea travel would be as viable, though it isn't so direct. One could sail to Zeltiva, as I did sail here from there. Of course, then there is the simple road to Syliras from my home city. It is an actual and well traveled road, as I am sure you well know. I prefer the sea and Father's presence. I don't really care about horses." He just shrugged at it. He didn't despise the creatures or anything, but as he had no need to ride them as most people did, he just thought of them as domestic animals like dogs or chickens., not vital conveyances. Did horses swim? Pondering abounded.

"Don't you have some kind of influence being a Knight? I would think that your presence and desire to return to the very bosom of Knighthood would inspire some to take up your quest, if nothing else, for the fame and favor." He really didn't understand how Knights worked, though with meeting a second one, he was at least understanding a bit better.

Pulren Marsh
Your favorite Uncle

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Imass on April 6th, 2016, 5:47 am

The Akalak nodded at the words of Pulren; he found it strange that the mercenary had redoubled his advise so quickly and decided not to travel to Sylira. Imass did not dwell on this fact though. It was better than him stacking a pile of false bravado for the sake of pride.

The Zealot appreciated the honesty greatly. For the sake of his own mental clarity, he did not pry further into Pulren's decision to stay in Nyka, "Aye, I don't blame you for staying," Pausing, Imass mulled on Marsh's words for awhile. The only sound around them was the hustle and bustle of Nyka.

"Yes, I could take a ship to Zeltiva, then travel the Kabrin straight to Sylira. The Knight Outpost there will help me I am sure," Imass stated half thinking out-loud and half to Pulren.

"Alas I've grown distasteful of the sea," He said this time looking at his work-buddy, ignoring memories of his trials in Sahova, "And wouldn't that route take longer? I think a caravan would be quicker and more direct, plus I would feel like I was making progress working every day, instead of being cooped up on a boat, you know what I mean?"

"How long would a vessle take to reach Zeltiva? Let's go look at a map,"
Imass

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Pulren Marsh on April 14th, 2016, 5:40 am

Pulren smiled with satisfaction as it had turned out the way it did. Who could have predicted that by simply stating your desires and standing firm on them that a decision was made? No reason to fret or worry about how a thing was to turn out if one thing happened or another. None of that mattered. A decision had been made and that was all there was to it. he would stay in Nyka to live out his dreams and understand the place. If he moved on to Syliras at this point, he would have stories to tell, but what would he actually know about Nyka?

Ser Imass seemed to be a man of land and horses while Pulren was a man of sea and ships.There was nothing particularly wrong with either viewpoint. It just indicated the way that each had grown up. Where did the blue men come from anyway? Maybe he would ask at some point. Surely he hadn't seen anyone else that was a different color. There was that guy in Sunberth that was purple. He had Firenze and some other girl on his arms at the time. Definitely not blue, but maybe it was related somehow. Pulren shrugged at his own whimsical thoughts as the pair approached the Celestial square in the center of the city. "I don't know what you mean at all. Progress is progress. Distasteful of the sea? That just makes no sense at all to me. But we are clearly two different men, my friend."

Crossing the Aperture was easy enough. Pulren knew where they were going. There was a repository of local knowledge in the Celestial district, a place where the monks robes were sewn and all of the town's history was kept. If there was going to be a map, that would be the most logical place to look. Approaching, he pointed it out to Imass. "The Halls of the Robes. If anywhere has a map of Sylira, this would be it." Leaning in toward his compatriot, he whispered, "Maybe you could try to use some of that Knightly influence now?"

Pulren Marsh
Your favorite Uncle

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)