Closed Through the Grapevine

[Valerius]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This lazy agricultural settlement rests on the swampy shores of the Middle Suvan at the delta of The Kenash River. The River's slow moving bayou waters have bred a different sort of people - rugged, cultured, and somewhat violent. Sprawling plantations of tobacco and cotton grow on the outskirts of the swamp in the rich Cyphrus soils, while the city itself curls around the bayou and spawns decadence and sins of all sorts. Life is slower in Kenash, but the lack of pace is made up for in the excesses of food and flesh in a city where drinking, debauchery, gambling, slavery, and overbearing plantation families dominate the landscape.

Moderator: Gossamer

Through the Grapevine

Postby Tanith Sitai on March 22nd, 2016, 11:10 am

13th of Spring, 516 AV

It had been a slow, quiet morning in the Ravens Rose, and for once Tanith couldn't care less. The weather was pleasant and warm, and that, combined with a quiet store, had given her the chance to spend the day drying and preparing various herbs and mushrooms, a much needed chore. “Tanith.” Astrid called, poking her head back into the store room. “There’s a customer asking for you.” Tanith perked up, interested. Usually when she was asked for specifically it was either a friend visiting her, or a complaint. She set the sprigs of herbs she had been preparing aside, and made her way out of the store room. Tanith’s interests dropped as she entered into the main room of the shop; It was neither. Judith, a familiar customer, if a pain of one, had dropped by. She was the type of Dynast that simply refused to leave her order with a slave, clearly believing them to be so below her that they were little more than bugs. Tanith greeted her politely nonetheless, approaching the counter to take the woman’s order.

She noted the order down as Judith thanked her. "As always, it's my pleasure. Drop by later this afternoon and we'll have it ready for you." She assured the other woman, setting the scrap of paper aside, to smile politely, if stiffly. Judith ignored her cue to leave, and instead set a meaty hip against the counter and made herself comfortable, clearly planning to spend the next while inside The Ravens Rose, much to the owners dismay.

Judith for the most part was a rather dull, short, plump Ackina, who seemed rather fond of gossip and rumours. From her simpering and sycophantic attitude, Tanith got the impression that the woman was quite low in the family, likely little better than a freeborn. She picked up the waiting work nearest her and did her best to tune out the nasally, dithering voice, but a few snippets managed to catch the Sitai's attention.

"Is that so?" Tanith replied with all the interest she could muster as the woman moved to a different topic; her daughters new tutor. "Mmm, Valerius Nitrozian, just up the road." Judith hummed, her little, watery eyes boring into Tanith, giving the impression she was about to reveal some great secret. "He's a nobleman from Ravok as well! Only the best for my little girl!" Taniths interests were piqued further. What on earth is a Ravokian nobleman doing tutoring Kenashian brats? She wondered to herself, pausing in her work to glance up at her customer. "Oh? And why is he here in Kenash?" She questioned, setting down her knife and sweeping slivers of dried mushrooms into the palm of her hand. "Who knows!" Judith exclaimed, smiling pleasantly, clearly pleased that she had set the seed of interest. "I have heard he has a particular interest in Akalaks, if you know what I mean." She continued, wiggling her eyebrows suggestively. A surprised laugh escaped Tanith Is this woman serious? She wondered, tipping the mushrooms into her mortar. "Perhaps the proximity to Riverfall is what attracts him here then." She couldn't help but giggle in response. The Ackina woman laughed as well, and after a few words, took her leave, her rumours spreading job done for the day.

"Astrid." Tanith called once Judith had left, turning to lean against the counter, her arms crossed comfortably over her chest as her slave joined her. "Yes?" Astrid answered, cleaning scraps of mushroom from the counter beside Tanith. "I'm going to slip out to visit this Nitrozian man." She decided, pushing herself off the counter to stand up straight. If this man really is a noble, having him in my corner could be quite the benefit to me. "I'm fairly sure I know which is his office, so I'll go up and welcome him to Kenash. Will you be okay with the shop while I'm gone?" She questioned, waiting for Astrids nod of agreement before she set about getting ready to set out.

Tanith huffed in mild frustration as she looked down at her work dress. She could always return home and change, but she had the time and wherewithal here and now, so she would make do. In any case, Tanith was a strong believer of portraying one's status through behaviour and manner rather than adornment. Tanith set her apron aside, sweeping a hand down the front of her dress in order to ensure that the fabric was nothing less than pristine, and set off towards the top end of the island.

It was a short, pleasant walk to The Art of Speaking. The office was small and neat from the outside, and Tanith nearly walked straight past without noticing. Tidying herself up once more, Tanith stepped up to the door and knocked, ready to introduce herself once it was answered.

4/6 Threads

The Raven's Rose | Boxcode's | Adoptable's | Art
Tanith Sitai
Spitfire

Words: 24594
Joined roleplay: July 4th, 2015, 3:51 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Through the Grapevine

Postby Valerius Nitrozian on March 31st, 2016, 2:39 pm

A few days had passed since Judith Ackina had knocked on his door and asked him to teach her daughter. She had been a most unpleasant woman. Oh, her words had practically been dripping with honey, they had been sugary sweet, but he had looked right through it. And if associating with her and her so called little girl that seemed intent on embodying all the negative stereotypes about teenagers hadn’t been so greatly beneficial, he would have told her that he was sorry, but his schedule was currently full.

But as it was he had been unfailingly polite, the perfect gentleman, smiling a smile that never quite reached his eyes and feigned interest in her and her family while he had secretly thought about all the things he would do to her if she ever stopped being Lady Ackina.

The woman had no style. She was overweight. He despised people that let themselves go like that. In Ravok he had lived in even greater luxury, but he had exercised regularly to stay in perfect shape. Anything less than perfection was unacceptable to him. And she had gossipped, she had babbled on and on – in between giving him a few very strange looks.

He had smiled and nodded in all the right places even though she had been the most annoying woman he had ever met. He had thought that nothing could top Tock, the animator that had worked for him in Ravok, but Judith Ackina was twice as bad. He wondered if she really had a brain or if her skull was full of air and she was powered by some sort of dark magic and remembered that Inoadar and he had once examined one of their victims’ brains. He would probably do her a favour if he removed whatever it was that was in her head and experimented on it.

That afternoon it would be time for another session with the Ackina brat, another futile attempt to instill good manners in the girl. Sometimes he thought about going back to Ravok, but then he remembered his cousin Trevinus again that would without a doubt become a Druvin soon, his dear aunt Amanda that had sometimes looked at him so condescendingly and decided that he would make Kenash his before he faced them again.

None of them had ever accomplished such a thing.

He was just going through his notes on the Ackina case – he kept notes on all of his clients – when somebody knocked on his door. A new client? He closed his notebook and slid it into the shelf behind him before he opened the door. “Good morning”, he spoke. His voice was firm, he was polite even though he was not sure of his visitors’ social status yet. Even though he cared little for such things, she was quite a striking young woman with her pale skin and her hazel eyes, but her dress was not the most expensive or elegant one. He had learned that appearances could sometimes be deceiving though and that it was better to be careful lest he alienated a potentially useful person. “How may I help you?”

Valerius’ own appearance was of course impeccable, from his copper hair over his fine silken clothes, in black and silver to his leather boots that had been polished until they shone. He was a Freeborn here, but that did not mean that he had to look like one as well. If it weren’t for the mark on his palm he could have snuck into any dynasty gathering, and nobody would have suspected a thing.
Valerius Nitrozian
Player

Words: 470233
Joined roleplay: February 11th, 2012, 6:39 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Through the Grapevine

Postby Tanith Sitai on April 13th, 2016, 7:49 am

OOCSorry this took so long! I banned myself from posting until I had finished my exams that were due, so I should be able to post more frequently now!

Valerius Nitrozian was much as Tanith had expected. He was dressed impeccably, and his finery in comparison to Tanith's own, plain dress, caused a twinge of frustration to run through the Dynast. I should have waited til tomorrow... She thought. I could have brought a box of cigars too... Suppressing her frustration and a sigh, Tanith directed her attention back to Valerius' greeting.

"Good Morning Mr Nitrozian." Tanith said, bobbing her head in greeting. "My name is Tanith Sitai, and I'd like to welcome you to Kenash on behalf of the Sitai family." She finished, folding her hands in front of her and smiling politely. She was itching to question him, to figure out why a Ravokian noble would ever come all the way to Kenash, but she restrained herself. The last thing she wanted to do was offend someone who could potentially be a powerful ally - or enemy - for the Sitai family.

"This is a lovely office you have." Tanith continued, injecting a cheerful tone into her voice as she took a step back to survey the stone façade of the man's small office. "I trust you're enjoying all Kenash has to offer so far." She continued, her gaze returning to the freeborn, a slight smile adorning her face.

4/6 Threads

Tanith Sitai
Spitfire

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Through the Grapevine

Postby Valerius Nitrozian on April 14th, 2016, 1:24 pm

Valerius raised an eyebrow a fraction as the young woman introduced herself as Tanith Sitai, but that was the only sign that he was surprised. In Ravok he would have kissed the back of her hand or at least implied it, but he didn’t know what the correct way to treat a Lady of Kenash was yet. She might have found the gesture inappropriate and impolite, and thus he merely bowed, showing his respect this way.

“Your visit is very much appreciated, Lady Sitai”, he spoke. “Please do come in.” As she stepped over the threshold and took a look around, he studied her, although he tried of course not be too obvious as such a thing would be rude. He had heard the rumors about her, just as she had likely heard the rumors about him, vicious rumors that had little basis in reality. He had no interest in men that were blue or purple.

People said that Lady Sitai was not everything she appeared to be, that she was really Lord Sitai. There were few, if any, signs that betrayed his or her masculinity. Her voice was of a normal pitch for a woman, although he or she could of course have trained it. There was no hint of facial hair, and she did not have an adam’s apple. She was short and slim, the epitome of femininity, but still, he could not entirely keep himself from wondering what she hid under her dress. The expression on his face was perfectly polite and a hint cool though.

“Thank you”, he remarked as she called his office lovely, although it was in his opinion insufficient. He would have preferred a bigger office with more luxurious furniture. But that would have meant indebting himself to one of the dynasties, and he had been unable to bring himself to doing such a thing. A Nitrozian didn’t make debts, if he could avoid it. “I have found Kenash to be quite an interesting city so far, Lady Sitai. In some ways it is not unlike my home, Ravok, a rich city that is ruled by a certain number of powerful families. Have you ever been to Ravok?”

“Please take a seat though”, he spoke and gestured towards a chair that stood in front of his desk. It seemed impolite to leave a woman of her station standing, especially if the conversation lasted longer than a few chimes. “I would offer you something, but I do not drink at work.”, he apologized.

He could not help but wonder what her position in the Sitai dynasty was and how close to the head of the family she was. He too wanted to question her, to find out if she could potentially be an ally and aid his rise in Kenash or if talking to her would be a waste of time, but he restrained himself.
Valerius Nitrozian
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Through the Grapevine

Postby Tanith Sitai on April 20th, 2016, 12:13 pm

Tanith moved past Valerius into the main space of the office, taking a short circle around the room, eyeing the furniture and the man's belongings curiously, before coming to a stop facing the man once again. "Riverfall is the furthest I've been from Kenash, quite unfortunately." Tanith replied, a small smile gracing her lips. She would love the chance to travel, perhaps to Alvades, perhaps Zeltiva, but he business, her family and her debt held her to Kenash for the time being. "I have been told of it's unique beauty though." She continued, perching in the offered seat, her slender back straight as a board. Ravok truly interested Tanith, the idea of a city crafted in the center of a lake, with canals in place of roads and boats in place of carriages sparked a deep curiosity and desire to explore the city.

Tanith crossed her legs, folding her hands delicately to rest on her her knee, as she smiles her most charming smile. "There is no need to offer me anything, Mr Nitrozian." Tanith replied to his offer, foregoing any respectful title the man was likely used to. This was Kenash after all, and he was a freeborn. While the man was of more importance and interest to Tanith, she refused to treat him above his station. "I tend to refrain from food and drink during working bells as well." She agreed, smoothing a miniscule crease in her skirt. "Fewer distractions and interruptions that way."

Tanith took a small moment to sort through her thoughts, casting her gaze around the office as she did so. She chose the least invasive of her questions to ask first, and returned her gaze to Valerius with an innocent smile. "I hope you don't mind me asking, but why Kenash of all places? Surely there must have been cities closer to Ravok that interested you." She enquired, tilting her head. "The gods know Zeltiva would have been just as good an option for a tutor, if not better."

4/6 Threads

Tanith Sitai
Spitfire

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Through the Grapevine

Postby Valerius Nitrozian on April 23rd, 2016, 6:51 am

"I have never been to Riverfall, but I have heard that it is an interesting city", Valerius replied and pulled the chair back for her, as a man should do for a lady. He only sat down in his own chair afterwards. He too kept his back completely straight. He would never allow himself to slouch in the presence of a stranger – or even somebody that he knew. Valerius was a man that insisted on keeping up appearances almost all the time.

"That is wise", he remarked as she told him that she did not eat or drink during work bells either. It made him consider associating with her much more worthwhile. He could never respect a man or a woman that was drunk before dusk and stained their precious books and papers with grease and just didn’t seem to care about propriety, although he would of course still talk to such people if there was something to be gained from it.

"That question is easy to answer, Lady Sitai", Valerius replied as she wanted to know why he had picked Kenash. The barest hint of a smile flickered across his face for a moment. He had the appearance of a man that was at ease, as at ease as one could be in the presence of a woman that thought herself of a higher station. He answered her question without hesitation. If you wanted to make people believe that what you said was the truth, it was a bad idea to speak slowly, to appear to be in thought – or to avoid eye contact with the person you were talking to which was why he looked directly at her as he spoke.

"My family are already quite well established in the Sylira Region. My grandfather, Sitanos Nitrozian, is a successful businessman with connections beyond Ravok, but his reach does not extend to Cyphrus so far. I am first and foremost a scholar of course, but I’m also interested in the business potential of certain places. Kenash is promising, and I have to admit I like how the city is set up."

He leaned back in his chair slightly and folded his hands in his lap as he considered the woman that sat opposite of him again, trying not to think too much about her potential dirty little secret. It was good that she had not visited Ravok so far, otherwise she might have heard of his cousin, Trevinus Nitrozian, a Chaon, the Kelvic Research Institute where he had worked for a few seasons, of the conflict with his sister or the things that had happened in Zeltiva and might have guessed that he was trying to keep things from her.

"And you, Lady Sitai?" he asked after a moment of silence, as if he had wanted to give her time to digest what he had told her and give her the opportunity to ask more questions – as if he did not mind her curiosity at all, but was in fact quite pleased that she was so interested in him. "I am of course familiar with your family’s privileged position in Kenash, but I have to admit I do not know what it is that you personally do. Forgive me my curiosity."
Valerius Nitrozian
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes