Zoology Interest?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

Zoology Interest?

Postby Planter on May 6th, 2016, 2:39 am

I've come to realize that we have this plethora of trade skills that the every day man can do, but where are all the SCIENCE! skills? We have a decent amount of the 'ology's but not all the foundations of SCIENCE! . With Zoology, we can have players actively identify certain animals in a region or what genus that bug is from, but the main attraction to Zoology for the Adventuring type is the identification of monsters, and the ability to identify weak points, feeding habits, etc.

So, is anyone interested in scoring with SCIENCE! ?
Planter~ Radiant Pycon Wandererhttp://www.mizahar.com/forums/topic64871.html
Planter
Modern Day Johnny Appleseed

Words: 17493
Joined roleplay: April 30th, 2016, 3:07 am
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Zoology Interest?

Postby Shimoje on May 6th, 2016, 3:03 am

I surely am, and many others are too, I am sure. Currently once a player has taken to writing one article though I believe that it must go through fully before they can partake in making another article. The only thing with Zoology is that it can be referenced to hunting and wilderness survival in some aspects. I will have to research more on this.
Shortly after departure of the Tipsy Wench, a deeply held secret started to show itself as Shimoje's mental stability started to become more clear. His hand will bear the mark of Lykata and glow with a symbol of Lormar.

test

Imagetest test testtest testtestesteste testtettttttt Image

test
Shimoje
Scientist

Words: 301120
Joined roleplay: March 26th, 2016, 11:25 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Zoology Interest?

Postby Planter on May 6th, 2016, 3:51 am

Understandable, but doesn't mean I can't write it now, waiting for my other article to get reviewed. By the time it get approved or sent back for review again, I'll have the rough draft of zoology complete.

The only thing that will be difficult is how to break zoology down. Either by Region (Knowing the Animals, Insects, Monsters in a particular region, which I think would be the easiest for players but difficult to write) or by Category (Knowing All insects, despite region, "Considering this insect is a cousin of this insect in this other region", etc. It would make it easier on the writer, but it'd skew the demographics of the skill (since most people would pick Monsters)).
Planter

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Zoology Interest?

Postby Shimoje on May 6th, 2016, 3:54 am

There are a LOT of people who have done work regarding such in their plotnotes and scrapbooks and such, I forget off the top of my head who, but I do know that it exists.
Shortly after departure of the Tipsy Wench, a deeply held secret started to show itself as Shimoje's mental stability started to become more clear. His hand will bear the mark of Lykata and glow with a symbol of Lormar.

test

test
Shimoje
Scientist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Zoology Interest?

Postby Planter on May 6th, 2016, 4:27 am

Ooo, that'd be an awesome idea! I do something somewhat like that in my journals, throwing in photos of things my character would've drawn in his adventures. When I have time, I do a quick outline, and who knows a blurb or two.
Planter

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Zoology Interest?

Postby Halin'a on May 6th, 2016, 1:14 pm

This is an awesome idea, Planter! I would definitely suggest that the more logical route to take would be to break down the fauna by region, and perhaps this should be broken into a couple of sections that include a Monster, an Insect, a general Fauna(such as prey animals, regular predators like wolves, etc), and perhaps a Misc for anything else that wouldn't fit. Quite the ambitious article, but something that a lot of players would probably find a good use for!
Avatar by me; based off of this picture
Halin'a
Player

Words: 65334
Joined roleplay: November 29th, 2013, 7:23 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Zoology Interest?

Postby Shimoje on May 6th, 2016, 7:40 pm

After doing some research all aspects of Zoology could be found or adapted upon currently provided skills. Please keep in mind that when you try to introduce new skills that in turn will cut off highly related skills it then deems players that have already accumulated points in those skills useless, null, or can overlap with each other. In essence to prevent this one can take a look at the following skills and try to adapt them as a PC to be more scientific in nature should that be what your PC is interested in.

A skill is earned based upon how the PC does said actions regardless of nature and overall could combine a list of said skills.

In this case Zoology highly relates to the following and has already applied skill points to PCs in the following skills: Animal Husbandry, Butchering (which could involve anatomy), Farming, Wilderness Survival.

That being said I love the aspects of it, but I would highly prefer to see these things expanded upon with the given skills. It might also be taken out of perspective from some players seeing the skill workup and think that domestication of wild animals through study would be possible. Most of the nature of Mizahar would not allow such easily, and proves very dangerous even to encounter with a group of people.

Chances are there have been people out there that have had relative questions and developed some things as well. You can do advanced searches to find what you are possibly looking for as well. Over-all feel free and ask or theorize about things OOC and generally you can find someone able to talk about such things.

The likelihood of a specific zoology skill being approved is slim, but feel free to expand upon some of the specific skills as well. If you have any questions or run into a brick wall - don't be afraid to ask or to generally question why something is the way it is!

Never forget that Lores are a functioning thing within Mizahar as well, and also give you specific knowledge or possible skill base. Which I believe is more where the specifics of animals and study would fall under.

test

test
Shimoje
Scientist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes