Closed Hunting with a Man on Wings (Aranta)

Aranta and Ferrin go out to hunt.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Stretching northward along the coastline of the Suvan Sea, the Cobalt Mountains are the home of the Bronze Wood, numerous ruins, and creatures both strange and fantastical.

Hunting with a Man on Wings (Aranta)

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on April 30th, 2016, 4:51 pm

Timestamp: Spring 50th of 516av

Early in the afternoon. Synas light filled the morning air with pride as her light glowed exuberantly throughout the Fortress City of Peace. It was a day like any other, but this one was different for Ferrin. He hadn't gone out to hunt for awhile. Especially with a Zith. Over the horizon, one could see the white puffy clouds moving across the light blue sky. Clouds mixed of grey or white. Big and small. Clouds that were in many different sizes and shapes.

Ferrin was on a saddle of a horse. Not just any horse, a horse with a coat of a mixed dark grey and nearly black coat. A thick dark colored Tail that whipped happily about. The Kenashian, was swathed in his usual attire, since it was a bit chilly. He'd brought out his cloak and wrapped it around him. The Zavian knickered and whipped it's head, the flocks of hair whipped Ferrin in the face because of its long locks."Hey there Cyprus. Take it down a level. We're just waiting for a friend that is all."

Ferrin checked his longbow that was strapped around the saddle. His quiver was on the other side, all of its arrows still within. Ferrin rested one hand on the pommel of his short broadsword that rested at his side within its hold. For protection, Ferrin wore a leather suit of armor that he'd borrowed from the Training Grounds. Predators can be just as bad in this season as any other season.

The two were just outside of the Gates, but inside the city. Ferrin turned round on his saddle and held onto the reins with one of his hands. He looked over the river of people that descended throughout the city doing what they needed to do, as usual. It's not hard to spot a Zith is it? Hopefully not, unless, Ferrin was looking at the wrong direction. After a few chimes of gazing though the people. He'd spotted the Zith.

The creature of flight and mysteries seemed to have trouble moving through the people. Ferrin felt a bit of pitty for Aranta, but Ferrin didn't know how he could ever make things easier. As the Zith neared, Ferrin called out. "Hey Aranta! Over here!" Exclaimed Ferrin as he waved his hands. All he hoped for was that the Zith had seen him.

Speech Thoughts Your Speech

"With a heart of steel, I raise my blade in combat. The only thoughts I have in my mind is whether I'd return home to my family. I am a soldier, and will fight for love and peace. That is the way of being a Syliran Knight"-Ferrin.

Sig :
Dimensions Changed to: 300x150 pixels.

Credits to Prophet for making this amazing Sig. He does a great job!
I'm Open To Guest Storytelling Let Me Know, and I'll See What I Can Do!
|| Syliras Lore * Syliras * Plotnotes * My Scrap *Ferrins CS ||
Ferrin Al'Mandrikan
Loving Family Man - Protective Squire

Words: 705389
Joined roleplay: July 16th, 2015, 1:02 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Artist (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Aranta on April 30th, 2016, 6:49 pm

Aranta hated crowds; he always had, because they were such annoyances. It was hard enough simply being big and tall, but add in a pair of wings, and the trouble doubled. Aranta did his best to keep his wings tucked up against his back, but sometimes if he stumbled they would snap out without his control in an effort to correct his balance. And wrapping his wings around himself to form the infamous Zith 'cloak' had its own drawbacks, namely that now his wings would most likely become the thing he tripped over. But Aranta had made plans with Ferrin to go hunting, and the Zith would keep his word. He had few friends in the world, and while he was not sure if Ferrin considered him as such, the Zith certainly considered Ferrin as one of his closer acquaintances. The human was definitely useful to him, what with teaching him to read and write, and Aranta had found that he enjoyed the other's company. He supposed that was as good a basis for friendship as any other.

Eventually, though, Aranta was able to make his way to the edge of the crowd, and he had paused to scan for Ferrin - the human had said to meet outside of the gates to the city, that he would like to go hunting with Aranta - when he heard Ferrin's shout. The Zith looked around, squinting slightly in the afternoon sunlight, and felt a grin break across his expression when he spotted the human atop a horse. The crowd had thinned considerably, so Aranta let his wings relax a bit as he lengthened his stride, making his way quickly to Ferrin. "Hello," he called back, still smiling. "Are you ready to hunt?" The Zith was eager to be on his way; not only to spend time with Ferrin, but also to be able to stretch his wings. He had not had a chance to fly for several days, and his wings were all but literally itching to spread.
Zithanese
Common
Symenos
Aranta
Player

Words: 64715
Joined roleplay: November 18th, 2013, 7:30 pm
Race: Zith
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on May 1st, 2016, 12:05 am

Timestamp:

Ferrin understood the struggle that Aranta was having with his wings and all. The Zith responded as he came closer with a simple hello and questioned Ferrin if he were ready to go out and hunt. Of course he was. Ferrin was as eager as a jack rabbit happily nibbling on a carrot, well almost. He was almost as excited as that Jack rabbit. "Oh yes. Ready as I'll ever be, and yourself?" Replied the Kenashian as he patted the Zavians' neck and slid down from his seat.

"You alright? Your lips, they're curled in an awkward way?" Ferrin teased. He knew Ziths to be as... different. But, hopefully they can take jokes. Otherwise, Ferrin would be quite upset with himself. Ferrin smiled back as he of course knew that Aranta was smiling."I've haven't seen a Zith smile before." Said Ferrin with a nod of his head. "I assume you'd want to fly of course?" Ferrin spoke with a light chuckle afterwards.

At Kenash. When Ferrin was younger. His mother used to haunt him with stories when he was posing a challenge to her or his father. Mainly, anyone in the family. But, there is a colony in Cyphrus though to, right? Xy or something like it? Now, Ziths that came into Syliras, Ferrins' perspective had changed and he didn't know what to think of them. Well, he was surely starting to befriend a Zith for one. "Don't worry. I'll be right behind you. We have to go through the gates first."

Ferrin smiled and nodded his head before he took his leave for Cyprus, his stallion. The dark grey and almost black Zavian. Cyprus whinnied a bit awkwardly as he was still not used to being around such predatorial creatures. Though, he'd appeared to trust Ferrin, and as Ferrin got on; Cyprus knickered. "There, there boy. Run like the wind, right Cyprus?" Said Ferrin as he stroked the locks of the horses' neck. "C'mon boy." Said Ferrin as he tapped the horse's sides and the horse broke into a slow trot. Ferrin could feel the tension of the muscles of Cyprus. The Kenashian knew that Cyprus was just itching to get a move on. Ferrin hoped Aranta wasn't in much of a hurry.

"With a heart of steel, I raise my blade in combat. The only thoughts I have in my mind is whether I'd return home to my family. I am a soldier, and will fight for love and peace. That is the way of being a Syliran Knight"-Ferrin.

Sig :

Ferrin Al'Mandrikan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Aranta on May 2nd, 2016, 2:47 pm

It took Aranta a moment to realize what Ferrin was talking about by an awkward lip curl, and another one for him to figure out that the human was - what was the word - joking? Yes, joking, Aranta decided. The Zith's grin widened, and he let himself bare his teeth slightly before pulling his facial expression back into something a bit more friendly. "Of course I am ready to hunt," he says. "I am hungry, and the butcher is demanding meat." He would not eat near Ferrin, of course; a Zith eating a fresh kill was a very messy thing to witness, and Aranta had no wish to upset his human companion.

"I will fly once we leave the gates," Aranta told Ferrin; the gates were relatively close, and there were too many people in the way. Aranta knew from previous experience that it would not be a good idea for him to simply fly over the gates, as the Knights guarding them liked to keep track of the comings and goings of the people of Syliras. To save time and fuss, Aranta would just walk near Ferrin and his horse; the horse was clearly none too happy, even to Aranta's inexperienced eye, to be near a creature such as himself, and Aranta kept his distance, hoping that the animal would calm down and follow Ferrin's instructions.

As Ferrin and his horse - Cyprus, Aranta thought he had heard Ferrin call the animal - took off at a slow pace, Aranta let himself fall into an easy jog as well, staying a few feet to the side of Ferrin as they approached the gates. The Knights asked them a few quick questions before waving them through, and once the trio had broken away from the main body of travelers, Aranta looked to Ferrin with a grin. "We go to the Woods, are we?" he asked; despite his years of practice with the common tongue, Aranta still occasionally had trouble phrasing things in the way native Common speakers did.
Zithanese
Common
Symenos
Aranta
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on May 3rd, 2016, 1:26 am

Timestamp:

Even with the lack of the human tongue that Aranta had spoken with. Ferrin can still manage to understand and interpret what he was saying. He'll fly once the trio are outside of the gates. "All right. Just keep a good eye on us, I don't want you getting lost. Okay?"With Ferrin as a mark for Aranta to know where they're going it is good to keep a nice tab for the direction that one is traveling. Ferrin nodded as Aranta claimed that he was hungry and yet, the butcher demands that game be brought to him.

"Well, lets be off then." Replied Ferrin with a warm smile over his face. He'd slowly grown adapt to Aranta. He wasn't as nervous as those last few days when he'd first met the Zith. Ferrin clicked his heels against the sides of the Zavian, Cyprus held back a bit, but did as Ferrin instructed. Well, at least Cyprus can take orders from his rider. Ferrin, still had trouble riding him. It wasn't that Aranta is around him that made him feel jumpy inside, it was the fact that riding horses pledged as a difficult task for him. He hadn't done it since he was a young kid. His father took him to ride and teach him how to even ride a horse as well.

When Aranta said he was hungry. Ferrin thought that he would eat cooked food. Do Ziths even eat food cooked, or do they maul it raw? Ferrin almost regurgitated his last meal just thinking of it. Eating from a freshly caught carcass. It was interesting, but it grossed Ferrin out as well. He knew, if Ziths eat raw food, that Ferrin would have to look away. Plus, wouldn't Ziths like to eat alone, or would they eat with company beside them? Ferrin wondered. He wonders a lot actually.

"Yeah we're heading into the woods. Are you good at hunting on the ground?" Asked Ferrin curiously as he and Cyprus kept in stride with Aranta, watching the Zith walk it almost pained Ferrin. The Kenashian figured that he was getting in stride with Cyprus, and that was the reason to why he'd slow his Zavians' pace. They've reached the Gates and Ferrin looked over to Aranta with a nod as he turned round his body to speak with the flying creature."It's alright if you go on ahead Aranta. I'll be right behind you." Well, almost right behind him, Ferrin would be practically below him.

Once Aranta takes flight, Ferrin would kick Cyprus into gear while Aranta would be in flight, following behind him.

Sig :

Ferrin Al'Mandrikan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Aranta on May 3rd, 2016, 4:16 pm

"I can hunt on ground," Aranta says thoughtfully, "but I prefer to ambush from the sky. Or trees." It was this particular Zith's favored hunting tactic; ambushing his prey was often his best chance at a successful kill, since he - like most Zith - was not the most graceful creature to ever walk on land. His wings often got in the way when he attempted to hunt on land the way that most others did. But what was a hindrance on land was an asset in the sky, and why shouldn't Aranta make use of his natural gifts? He was aware that most races looked down on him for simply being a Zith - and he knew that that prejudice was not without good reason - but the butcher at least was perfectly willing to accept the game he brought back from the forest, and once the butcher did his job, the people of Syliras never knew the difference between a Zith-caught piece of meat and a human-caught one.

Once the pair had left the gates to the city behind them, Aranta rolled his shoulders, allowing his wings to flare slightly and stretch. "I will follow from the sky as you ride," he told Ferrin as he checked to make sure that he had everything he needed in his rucksack which was attached to the length of rope that served as his belt, knotted around the top of his pants. Aranta had never really figured out why most other races were so uncomfortable with nudity, but to make interactions with other races easier he had started wearing the pants.

Once Aranta had Ferrin's agreeing nod, he launched himself into the sky; he did not climb very high, but it was enough to make everyone and everything on the ground look like beetles. He could still pick out Ferrin and his horse, and with his wings beating steadily, Aranta kept pace with them, occasionally breaking off to circle over something that had caught his interest. In what seemed like no time at all, they had reached the edge of the Bronze Woods, and Aranta tucked his wings in, angling himself down towards the ground, wings snapping out to help slow his descent as he brought himself to a hover near Ferrin. "We go in here?" he called, eager to get the hunt started.
Zithanese
Common
Symenos
Aranta
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on May 5th, 2016, 11:17 pm

Timestamp:

"I can hunt on ground,"Said Aranta as he looked at Ferrin. The Kenashian figured that Aranta would prefer to hunt above ground. Since, walking already had him at a level of struggle. Ferrin didn't want their day of bonding to be one of which that had many difficulties. As Ferrin had been correct, Aranta added in that once he's in the air he'd ambush the prey from above. Ferrin thought that this could be an advantage. Having someone like Aranta would be good for hunting dangerous predators. "Alright. I think it would be best for you. More easier it seems." Replied Ferrin simply as he'd watched Aranta glide across the ground beside the two. Cyprus felt a bit nervous, but held his ground firmly and cocked his head over at the Zith once in awhile.

Ferrin could recall the times when he was hunting for a profession. When he'd first started living here in Syliras. It was hard times. Especially last Winter, when game was more difficult to find. When the wolves were more active during that season. It was quite devastating really. All of the natural prey shifted out farther out of the Bronze Woods and grazed there. All of the people he had met while out hunting. It was a good experience at the time. Save for the wolves and other natural predators that dwell within the woods. But, it was a good enough for Ferrin. As long as he had had gained some experience.

Ferrin watched, as Aranta took flight. His wings coursed throughout the air and Ferrin took his gaze upwards and continued to watch, only for a few ticks though. Ferrin looked back at the Kabrin Road ahead of him. They were nearing the Bronze Woods, the treeline mostly. Aranta descended swiftly, but steadily as he hovered quite a few feet over from Ferrin and his horse companion, Cyprus. "Yeah, you ready?"Asked Ferrin with a slight smile. It had been awhile since he had had been hunting, but it's something that he won't be able to forget. "Just be careful, those trees can be an obstacle course."

OOCI was thinking, maybe Aranta could spot the prey needed for hunting? Maybe something like a few deer or so? Unless you'd want to go with something else?

Sig :

Ferrin Al'Mandrikan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Aranta on May 6th, 2016, 12:45 pm

OOCDeer works fine; maybe a little later we could throw in a wolf or two or something like that? Make things a bit more interesting ;)

"Ambushing is good hunting tactic," Aranta agreed, his heartbeat already picking up from excitement; it had been a long time since the Zith had had a chance to hunt with a friend, and he was looking forward to hunting with Ferrin. Aranta made a face at Ferrin's reminder. "The trees are difficult," he agreed. He'd nearly broken a limb or even a wing the first time he'd entered the woods, because while the trees looked as though they were far enough apart to fly between, they actually weren't. Perhaps a smaller Zith than Aranta could have flown between them, but Aranta's large wingspan gave him trouble maneuvring through the trees. "I will move through the trees," he decided. "From branch to branch." He had found that often that was the easiest way of moving through the forest, at least until he heard the sounds of the prey he was hunting.

"Many deer inside the forest," Aranta mused. "We look for them?" Deer were one of the most common large prey animals in any forest, Aranta had found, and this one was no exception. Aranta went hunting almost every night, and he usually brought back a deer or two once a week, though he was careful to space out his hunting spaces so that he was not thinning one particular herd too much. The Zith could travel farther, thanks to his wings, than most other races could, and so he tended to hunt on the far side of the Bronze Woods; there was less competition there, and therefore, more prey. Moreover, it was prey that had rarely faced a humanoid hunter, and was usually not too wary of something rustling in the trees above their heads; their predators, for the most part, tended to stalk them on the ground, not from the trees.
Zithanese
Common
Symenos
Aranta
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on May 31st, 2016, 2:58 am

Title and Date

"Yes, yes it is. I fully agree with you." Ferrin had never in his life, before now encounter an enthusiastic Zith in his lifetime. No, not ever. He didn't even know that these types of Ziths exist. The ones he had had heard of in Kenash were always so... Obscured. If that was one way to put it. Ferrin couldn't quite put his finger on what Aranta had in mind. If he were to float above ground; how would an ambush occur then? Though, the flight gives them the advantage most likely. If it isn't a wolf. The prey would be fairly easy to kill. Well, mostly.

Ferrin hadn't ever hunted with a Zith before now either. So many thoughts rummeged through his mind as he tried to get everything organized. Mentally. He scanned Aranta, making sure of his size is dangerous enough. He checks the Zith with a yes. Of course; who isn't afraid of a Zith? Ferrin held tightly onto the reins, his palms sweating he kept it at that so he wouldn't fall over.

The hooves clicked against the trail. Picking up dirt and pebbles as Cyprus strolled casually through the Bronze Woods. It was oddly quiet. Heart racing scary almost. Ferrin could even hear his heart pump. He could see the tension grow within Cyprus as his muscles clenched around his neck. Ferrin patted the mare lightly assuring the Zavian that things was going to be alright.

When Ferrin had asked of the trees; they do pose a challenge. But, not to much so that Aranta can not handle it. "You sure, would it ever damage your wings?" Ferrin asked worriedly that the Zith might injur himself. But, since the flying being offered to do so, Ferrin nodded his neck starting to get sore from the constant turning around gestures. "Alright then. Be careful." The Kenashian spoke in kindness.

"Yes, we'll be looking for them. You can fly just as quick as a deer strides can't you? I've seen you coast; but what is your maximum in speed?" Ferrin asked in an awe tone like manner. The three traversed deeper into the bowels of the woods as Ferrin scanned the trees and the canopies around them. Cyprus kept walking; hell most likely see anything peculiar and give his rider a heads up. At most times. Ferrin held his longbow loosely in one hand, an arrow notched. Ready to be fired. The Squire's other hand held over the reins. "Do you see anything yet?"

A SHIMOJE TEMPLATE

Sig :

Ferrin Al'Mandrikan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes