Completed Plant Pots

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Known as the Celestial Seat, Nyka is a religious city in Northern Sylira. Ruled by four demigods and traversed by a large crevice, the monk-city is both mystical and dangerous. [Lore]

Plant Pots

Postby Alija on May 31st, 2016, 8:34 pm

42nd Spring 516
Alija marched sharply into the forge, knotting her hair behind her head in a swift motion. The waves bound up tightly, shifting from where they obscured her view to being completely out of the way. Smaug hadn’t arrived yet - but it was before dawn, and she was hoping to get started before he did. The fire was out, the ashes annoying her, so she swept them out, shovelling the larger lumps of burnt coal out as well. Even after chimes of work, she was already coated with a thin layer of dust from the coals, but that was to be expected, after all. She was wearing her apron for a reason. With broom in hand, she danced across the smithy floor, watching the dust disappear into neat piles in the corners of the room. That would be enough. Still using the broom, she brushed her anvil clean, not bothering to change tool. It wouldn’t matter too much anyway.

Her eyes darted back to the forge, bringing forward the sack of coal that had just been delivered. Most of it went to start a fire, the rest discarded at the back for use another day. She pounded at the bellows, watching the red hot sparks glow and grow, jumping like fleas. That reminded her - she would need to check the dogs, they had been scratching recently. Alija sighed, thinking about all the things she needed to do. She had bought the dogs on such an impulse, and now she was stuck with them. She was a terrible owner. She had agreed to look after Kial without thinking too much about it either - and she was a terrible guardian. She never had time for him. He was… 7? She sighed again, realising how little she knew about him. And he was too young to join her in the forge. If he wasn’t, maybe they’d spend more time together. But he was, and she didn’t want to have him get hurt.

Lost in her thoughts, she pumped until the fire was roaring, before cursing herself inwardly. Moving away to let it calm down, she went to the back room of the shop, rifling through a drawer to find a notebook and quill. She settled against the tiny table, hovering the quill above an empty page as she tried to recall what the woman had asked for. Four pots, to be attached to a wall. What size? She had never specified, so Alija would have to decide. Snatching up her ruler, she started at it a little while, trying to picture the different sizes of pots. Roughly 20 cm? She supposed it would be a good place to start. Taking her quill again, she dipped it in the ink, jotting down her measurements and ideas before beginning on a rough sketch to picture what it would look like. Mostly, it would be for Smaug - she could always have a plan in her head, but if he was going to make them too, he would need to know what she was making.

She drew a rough sketch of a pot plant, a standard shape she recognised from visiting the shop. Now, how to connect it. It would make sense for it to easily be taken down, for planting or tending to - times when working in the air would be too hard. So perhaps a loop for the pot to sit in? Jotting down measurements for the top and base of the pot, as well as the loop, she began to plan the actual connection to the wall. It wouldn’t do to do something simple - she needed extravagance, beauty. That was what she loved making, and she was determined to make everything like that. She finally decided to stick with a fairly simple design: several loops above, and half as many below, with a head of wheat at the very top. She’d have it painted too, perhaps a simple white, as the metal itself wouldn’t look good with the greenery in the shop. Not in her mind, at least.
Last edited by Alija on November 29th, 2016, 8:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Alija
Blacksmith and Aurist

Words: 349054
Joined roleplay: November 11th, 2014, 6:35 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Plant Pots

Postby Alija on September 17th, 2016, 11:07 pm

A bell turned her head, her face lighting up as Smaug arrived just on time to begin the project. She gestured him over, showing him the design.

“We’ll make the pots first, probably with the bottom separate to be welded on. Then the wall hanging part. This loop-” she pointed to the design, “will be welded onto the design, I think that would work the best. Agreed?”

Smaug nodded, trying to take in what he saw. Alija bit her lip as she saw his confusion, hoping that her design and explanation had made enough sense. She doubted the problem was with the actual design itself - in her mind, it all worked perfectly. But Smaug’s mind wasn’t her own, and that was the problem. Explaining things was much harder than understanding them herself, just like she was finding teaching much harder than doing things herself. But in the end, it would have to be worth it. She’d have the spare time she wanted, as she would be able to give Smaug all the responsibility. Now, he was good, but nowhere near enough.

Thankfully, he finally deciphered the mess of lines and annotations, nodding eagerly. “So, who does what?”

Alija bit her lip again, realising she hadn’t considered that. Which parts were easier, which parts needed more skill? Smaug could weld, but not the best, but maybe that was a reason to make him do it, rather than to not let him. Practice, after all, made perfect.

Finally deciding on something, she nodded sharply, “We’ll make two at a time, both doing one each on our own. I can show you any bit you don’t know, and you'll be able to copy me then. Alright?”

“Perfect!”
Alija
Blacksmith and Aurist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Plant Pots

Postby Alija on September 17th, 2016, 11:08 pm

Alija pulled her gloves over her fingers, flexing them under their shield. She loved the feeling of protection they gave, but she wasn’t certain why. It was never like the fire had really hurt her. Sure, she had a slight burn now and then, but she had never really been injured. After all, fire was dangerous. Very dangerous. She didn’t want to get burned, so she was careful, without having to be warned first.

Taking the metal Smaug had got out for her, she heated it, watching it shift colours slowly. It almost seemed magic, the way fire could change the colours, the properties and the shape of metal, of anything really. Beautiful, as well as dangerous. And her views would never change.

Once it reached the required shade, Alija brought the metal out, watching Smaug mirror her actions. “What are you doing?” she sighed, shaking her head as she brought the lump of glowing yellow to her anvil, watching as it spit sparks, “That isn’t hot enough yet, it’s all the wrong shade. You started heating it after mine, and you didn’t put it in a good position. Put it in the fire more, like that, that’s it.”

Smiling at his incompetence at heating a bit of metal, she worked on her own, flattening it out into a thin sheet. Soon Smaug joined her in the simple business of drawing it out, thankfully doing a much better job at this than heating it. Soon, their hammerings joined to form a beautiful tune, his ever so slightly higher than her own. To her fairly non-musical ear, it worked.

Soon enough, she had pushed the metal out into a thinner sheet, before beginning to shape it into a pot shape, guiding it around the the anvil to make a nice curve. Her brow was dusted with sweat and coal dust, her gloves rough when she drew them across her face to clear the smoke from her eyes. Occasionally, she would glance at Smaug, who watched her intently, trying to understand how she did it so easily, so quickly and so naturally. She smiled at him, placing her finished pot to the side and moving towards him. “Here, let me help.” She guided his hammer blows, using her own to direct where to hit, using words to explain how. After all, blacksmithing wasn’t just hitting metal with a hammer. You had to understand how hard to hit it, at what angle, with what type of blow. Subtle things a master knew, while an apprentice could only guess.

“Tap lighter, but quicker here. You don’t want to make massive marks - it all needs to be smooth, don’t distort it. No, not like that!” she sighed, shaking her head in agony. Smaug gritted his teeth, making his next blow more careful. “Yes, that’s it! There, now you can call that done.”

“Finally,” Smaug sighed, wiping his own brow of the sweat that had built up there, “How about we take a break, and get away from this heat?”

Alija glared at him, a lot more ferociously than she had expected. It wasn’t his fault he wanted a break, she understood that. She wanted one too, but she preferred to finish the job before stopping. They hadn’t even worked that long.

“Not much more to do, we can do this, okay?” she smiled, “No breaks, not yet.” Smaug wasn’t too happy, but she didn’t even notice.
Alija
Blacksmith and Aurist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Plant Pots

Postby Alija on September 17th, 2016, 11:09 pm

The next job was the decorative backing. Alija brought out a long rod of metal this time, pushing it under the coals where it could heat up nicely. As they waited for it to heat, she let Smaug hurry upstairs to fetch them both a drink. Alone, she felt strangely comfortable, enjoying her forge fully, as she was used to. Smaug wasn’t bad company, but he wasn’t the best. First, their relationship was strictly business. She was the employer, he the employee. They would barely call each other friends. Second, he had nothing interesting to say. He was quiet as he worked, and the things he did speak of were things that didn’t concern Alija in the slightest - foolish gossip about his friends that she didn’t know or care about. And finally, it was frustrating, making sure he wasn’t going wrong. Of course, that view was distorted by her own skill, and she understood that this must have been what having her as an apprentice was like, when she was younger, but it didn’t make it any less annoying. Thegans was much better - he had interesting stories to tell of the places he had travelled to. Donovan, back in Zeltiva, was a friend to her, and they had more laughs than serious conversations. Even her father had things to say, and understood her. But Smaug was the one who worked for her, and she would have to put up with him. He wasn’t bad. He really wasn’t.

When he arrived again, she smiled politely, taking the cup from him. He nodded briskly, and she could sense some hidden barrier rise, that she hadn’t felt before those thoughts. Was she forcing it upon them? She couldn’t be certain - all she wanted to do now was forge. Downing the cup in one go, she left it to the side, yanking the rod out. She settled it on the anvil, then changed her mind, swapping it to the vice. “Watch carefully,” she warned Smaug, preparing to demonstrate the next section.

Taking the chisel, she brought it down about a third of the way, and made two slits on either side of the rod. She took the tongs, grabbing each in turn and pulling it away from the rod, making it clear that those sections would be curled. Then she stopped, realising she had been stupid with her plan. She wouldn’t need to weld the loop - she could simply slice it out of the rod, and leave it at that. Explaining the revised plan to Smaug, she made a few more slits, dragging out those parts too until the rod resembled a branch with many sticks rather than a rod of metal. Applying heat to each part again, she wrapped each bit around the neck of the anvil, hammering it into shape slowly and carefully. Each time, when she thought she was done, she would give it a few more taps, just to position it perfectly, before wrapping any joins with wire, to hold it firmly in place. With a coat of paint, no one would be able to recognise the thin wire, which she had made herself earlier, from the metal itself.
Alija
Blacksmith and Aurist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Plant Pots

Postby Alija on September 17th, 2016, 11:20 pm

For the loop, she didn’t wrap it around in the same way, instead placing the edge where it joined the rest of the design on the edge of the anvil and hammering it down, bending it so it was perpendicular to what she made. Then, once that was done, she brought the ends round, using her tongs more than anything else. Once they touched, she fleshed out the loop nicely, overlapping them to get the desired size and finally using the anvil neck to make it a perfect curve. Where the ends met and overlapped, she curled them together, making it more of a feature than anything else.

Last, she had the the wheat to do. She overlapped some of the rod to make it thicker at the very top, borrowing metal from all over. Shaping it into a wheat shape, the blacksmith switched to a chisel, marking out the separate grains. She moved the chisel all over the head of wheat, pointing the edges and adding tiny details, watching the wheat come to life until it finally resembled what she wanted it to.

She glanced over at Smaug, sighing at the lack of work he had done. Placing one finished plant pot holder to the side, she moved over to him again. “Okay, I’ll take over now. Mind going to buy some paint, as white as possible? Then just paint the holders when their done, okay?”

Smaug looked furious at his demotion to errand boy, but didn’t argue, dropping the work instantly. “How much?” he asked, clearly unhappy.

Alija shrugged, trying to not notice, “Enough to cover four of them.” He frowned at how casually she pointed at her finished worked, but moved away,still listening to her.

“I’ll take the money from the cash box, okay?”

“I wasn’t expecting any different,” Alija tried to smile, but it wasn’t returned. Their moods had fallen so quickly, she wasn’t certain why.

He left and she continued his work, then started the next. She was halfway through by the time he had returned, something that bothered him even more. “I didn’t know where to go so I visited a few shops,” he explained, still frowning. He began painting, and Alija finished the third plant pot.

“Look,” she finally said after doing half of the last one in silence, “No hard feelings, right? I want to help you get better, okay. I may not be the best teacher, but I’m learning, just like you are.”

“Let me get better then,” he sighed, “Please don’t try to control me like I’m a slave or something. I deserve breaks - I’m not a mindless working machine like you.” Alija bit her lip, ignoring the insult. “I’m tired,” he finally sighed, “I’m sorry.”

“I’m sorry too. Now, how about I help you finish this one and we can get this delivered?”
Alija
Blacksmith and Aurist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Plant Pots

Postby Faradae on May 3rd, 2017, 8:00 pm

Alija
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

E X P E R I E N C E

• Cleaning +1
• Planning +2
• Drawing +1
• Rhetoric +1
• Leadership +1
• Teaching +2
• Socialization +1
• Blacksmithing +1

L O R E S

• Cleaning: Sweeping the floor
• Planning: Designing a comission
• Drawing: Sketching a design
• Rhetoric: Explaining a task
• Explaining is harder than understanding
• Practise makes perfect
• Teaching: Letting an apprentice copy your work
• The sound of hammers on an anvil: Music to Alija's ears
• Teaching: Guiding an apprentice's hand
• Teaching: Explaining while working
• Alija: Enjoys being alone in her forge
• Smaug: A silent, boring employee
• Socialization: Being polite despite a lack of sympathy
• Planning: Altering a plan when better ideas arise
• Teaching: Demonstrating steps
• Blacksmithing: Branch-shaped decorations
• Teaching: Students need breaks

N O T E S

A nice thread! Blacksmithing ended up taking a minor spot in the grade, as the first part was too simple to net a master smith like Alija any more points. Tons of teaching lores in here, though! I love how helpless Alija is with her apprentice.

Please remember to edit your grade request to reflect that this grade has been seen to!
If there are questions about the grades, please contact me via PM.
Faradae
Your favourite birb.

Words: 140559
Joined roleplay: December 20th, 2015, 12:24 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook