Completed [Red Diamond Tavern] The Vantha Dressed in Black [Job]

Epifanio composes a piece of art fit for performance

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This northernmost city is the home of Morwen, The Goddess of Winter, and her followers who dwell year round in a land of frozen wonder. [Lore]

[Red Diamond Tavern] The Vantha Dressed in Black [Job]

Postby Epifanio Snowsong on June 4th, 2016, 9:55 pm

The Vantha Dressed in Black

8th of Summer 516 A.V.

Epifanio was on the second level of the Red Diamond Tavern, he had been writing some time now in his composition book. He knew that in order to perfect this particular work and to make it one that would be a grand show for those who enjoyed his performances he would have to ask for help from his hold. It was not a piece that could be played easily with just one instrument. Sucking on his pipe he had painstakingly started to tire his wrists from writing down his thoughts. The story went like such:

Instrumental part:
Secret :

Lady dressed in black,
I can feel your pain
Your pain is mine to bare
To bare… {insert female chorus 1}
Lady dressed in black
Grieving for yourself,
I don’t know what for
All so many times
Times…
I have seen your pain.
We find ourselves under,
Pain and hunger…
You traveled the world
Training on bow.
You’ll never be the same
Ever be the same.
Though I think you’ll find
Happiness somewhere
Somewhere in this world
Yeah, somewhere in this world. {Insert female chorus 2}
Bleeding from our wrists
Pain struck from bow.
We are not so different
No not so different at all
At all…
Heart to find our worth
Morwen only knows
Oh, Morwen only knows… {insert female chorus 3}
Your heart is like an arrow
Quivers to the soul,
Quivers to the soul,
But when you struck that chord,
You took me for a stroll
Running round like fool,
Oh, don’t you feel the same?
Your black dress while I train,
Your black dress while I train.

The story extended to varieties of musical instruments told throughout lyrics and sounds alike. Though, not a particularly cheery story it told of his adventures which had haunted him so while he trained under Maenes Frostfawn at the archery range. Though, he twisted the words to make it seem like much more than it was.

Going through his wording he fixed up portions that would be song by another, and hopefully add a chorus and whimsical tale, one that only a woman could perform. Adding these segments through stanza proved to be difficult and one that took many of his nights while working throughout the day.

{female chorus 1}
No, I have no despair
No despair. I just hope you have the heart.
Else you won’t be spared
Won’t be spared.

{female chorus 2}
Where, oh Where?
Where, Oh where?

{female chorus 3}
Ohhhh Oooooh
I took to the cold
Ohhhh Oooooh
Nobody knows,
Nobody knows,
But meeee.
Ill speak not a word
Else I’ll freeze.
Ohh… I will freeze.

Finally, after getting most of the musical notes and drafts down on paper it had been time to escape into the night back to Snowsong hold. Epifanio knew of only a few in snowsong hold that had the passion of music like himself, and surely there were more, but he immediately went to the doors of Kenava, the daughter of Layota, who was the Pavintu Janta.

“I have this piece I am working on for my job, might you help me and look it over?” He asked as she answered her door. At first puzzled, she smiled at him with kindness and helped him fix a few notes and pieced together his fragmented composition for him. It was a long night, and after working with her and laughing telling stories and explaining himself how Maenes made him run around the archery range multiple time if he hit a target wrong, he simply headed off to bed after asking “Who do you think would like to perform this with me?” She answered “Hmm, I think that Neena, Myself, and Baylor might be able to help. Though Baylor is a bit shy, but I will talk to him first thing tomorrow.”

With that Epifanio went off to his room and started to practice on his Gamba before heading off to sleep. He would play the more tenorful ranges and be singing alongside probably Kenava. He was nervous for his upcoming performance and surely knew that they would have to practice it multiple times before actually playing it at the Red Diamond Tavern.
Last edited by Epifanio Snowsong on June 6th, 2016, 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Secret :
Epifanio Snowsong
Bard

Words: 96514
Joined roleplay: May 28th, 2016, 12:05 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Avanthal Seasonal Challenge (1)

Postby Epifanio Snowsong on June 5th, 2016, 5:24 am

Title and Date

9th of summer 516 A.V.

Waking up, Epifanio was excited to get to work on his newest song once again. After partaking in freshening himself up, he headed over to his desk and started to refine the sheet music a little bit more. Realizing that he didn’t have all of the necessary supplies in his room, he grabbed his possessions and headed to one of the more advantageous commodities of Snowsong hall, the Hall of Aural Creation. It was filled with various other snowsongs who had been in their private rooms composing and working on their own music.

The strange thing that attracted Epifanio, was that after sitting in the main hall, he was approached by Baylor. “I suppose that Kenava filled you in?” The shy vanthan nodded and started to peer over Epifanio looking at his rough drafts to the song. “Very poetic, but you might want to change some of the octaves here.” He said while pointing to a few of the lyrics and their musical notes. “The instruments should follow in suit, and seeing as how you are not the only one singing you have to make sure that the melodies match with the instrument and the other singers.”

Epifanio nodded and did as Baylor had suggested. “You play an instrument right, what do you play?” Epifanio had asked kindly. “I play the guitar, and I also write music.” He had said simply. His words were short except for his advice which he had just given. “Might you try and play with me?” Epifanio asked once more. Baylor simply nodded and waited for Epifanio to take up his own instrument. He stood there behind looking down at the composition and when Epifanio started to play the two of them took a harsh start at a musical duet. Soon enough, though, some others had joined in listening and watching the two. When the song ended a few claps were heard and then Kenava approached them. “Why you two are off to a fast start.” She said openly.

The trio began to converse and eventually another had joined in on their conversation of music. Neena was younger than most in the hold, but she was great at what she did. “Oh oh, can I help?” She excitedly asked in her more child like voice. She wasn’t older than 7 years old from what Epifanio could ask. “Sure, could you sing this part?” Epifanio replied with a kind face. “Well, I need my own sheet if I am to sing.” She pestered.

With a slight ‘Gah’ Epifanio completely forgot about requiring to make multiple drafts of his work so others could easily perform and practice with him. Neena walked over to a nearby desk which held various papers and writing applications and handed them to Epifanio. The group mainly started to converse and made fun of Epifanio’s interactions with Maena as the story told. The child, Neena, abruptly said “ooooh, someone’s in love!” Epifanio just sighed at her remark and continued to make musical sheets for the group around him.

Once he finished he easily passed them out. “Alright, Neena you will be singing the chorus, think you can handle that?” He questioned in a light tone of voice. She replied with an exuberant ‘ofcourse!’ “And Baylor, you will be playing this part. Kenava, this will be your role, as well as support for singing with Neena.” The group agreed and after a few chimes of debate of fixing some parts of the song between artists and making the changes on the paper they started to practice.

Epifanio was delighted to be sharing his music with fellow snowsongs and the advice he had been receiving from both Kenava and Baylor was priceless. After a few bells of singing and taking breaks drinking water, the group finally got it down the best they could. “I will be practicing on my own as well, we will have to memorize our parts.” Epifanio said to the group.

“That won’t do, we will have to practice together to really nail this song. Let’s take one attempt today and then again later tonight to see how we are able to play it. With any luck we should be able to play tomorrow!” Kenava shared her input. The group mostly agreed and with a shared pleasure and love for music, song, and story the three started to play. Their harmonics were great, and the little girl did her part well for her age. The feminine tones were almost chillingly good, and reflected beautiful voices that a male bard could never hope to achieve alone.

After they were done, the group went their separate ways and met later that night. They practiced once more, and this time more of some snowsong members were there to listen in on it. Baylor was nervous at first, but once the music started there was no stopping him. He got completely into it, and almost enjoyed every musical plight. His head even bobbed with each strike of his chord, as if he was being consumed by the notes.

Happy with their progress, Epifanio knew that tomorrow would be the night. “Could we possibly do more performances like this as well?” He asked them before departing. “Only if we get a share in your tips.” Kenava said with a smile on her face. “Tips, I haven’t considered having people tip me.” He responded with a questioned tone of voice. “Oh, you’re a bard, and you don’t squander up tips? It is simple, just place a jar or some sort of container for people to put some mizas and if they like your performance it is possible that you could make money off it including your wages of where you work.” Kenava taught him. “I don’t know; it just seems… wrong.” He replied, and after a few exchanges in advice and talking about when to meet up tomorrow the group went their separate ways and headed off to bed.
Secret :
Epifanio Snowsong
Bard

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Epifanio Snowsong on June 5th, 2016, 5:40 am

Title and Date

10th of Summer 516 A.V.

After waking from another day full of practice and working with the group of fellow snowsongs, Epifanio was once again within the comforts of the Red Diamond Tavern. He noticed that the tavern quickly began to fill, and started on playing some whimsical improvisation with his fellow Snowsongs.
Secret :
The flurry of bow met string and people were having a grand time. As Epifanio let his musical freedom reign free on chord he drummed on the base of his Gamba. It was a happy time, and a few drinks on the house helped in aid him in his happy mood.

His eyes were shining green with an amber rim until he caught glimpse of someone he had recognized. The nervous bard immediately took a gulp, as a woman dressed in familiar black entered the tavern. His partners noticed his emotional change as it showed in his music as well. In musical humor Baylor started up with one of his compositions
Secret :

After the shy man was finished with his song; a collection of people dancing and sharing in tales, laughing, and drink began to clap. They were surely enjoying themselves, and the owner of the tavern and barmaids were having a difficult time keeping up with orders. It wasn’t soon after that the group exchanged looks. It wouldn’t be long now till they made the grand performance of the night… and Maenes was there to watch and listen as well. She most likely heard of rumors from other ice folk of Epifanio’s intention.
Secret :
Epifanio Snowsong
Bard

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Junco on June 5th, 2016, 8:51 pm

Title and Date

Back once again to the tavern, Junco noticed the antlers at the top of the fireplace had changed to horns of some sort, much bigger than their predecessors. He wondered who had killed that beast. He hadn't heard anyone from Frostfawn boast about it.

Junco, sitting at one of the small wooden tables, ale in hand, was talking about an small upcoming hunt with some fellow Frostfawn hunters. The group would consist of maybe five or six people, three hunters, one trapper/tracker, one cartographer and a doctor. Junco was the least skilled of them all and the point of this hunt was to, for one, help Junco become more experienced in a less dangerous setting, and two, prepare for the midnight sun and following days of dark where hunting would be practically impossible. The hunt would be taking place at the nearest circle of trees outside the walls and they only expected to bring back a few smaller mammals, such as dire rabbits or snow foxes.

The Red Diamond Tavern was a common place for the Frostfawn to mingle with like minded people outside the hold, if one didn't want to travel outside the walls to the Hunter Savant Lodge. Junco was here as a safe haven away from his crowded arvinta where being surrounded by two married couples, an old man and a young girl can sometimes get frustrating. He happened to run into his fellow hunters and was gladly invited to their table to chat.

The atmosphere of the tavern was almost the same as always. Light chatter and a nice tune of music from a bard in the background when the building was crowded enough. However today it seemed a bit busy, the music a bit louder. Junco had a look around whenever the conversation at his table went quiet. He saw that perhaps the rise in customers was because of the rise in music players. Up where the single instrumentalist usually was were a total of 4. Some had instruments and some did not. One had a guitar that he recognized, another, a bard he had actually seen playing here before, held the same instrument he always had, though Junco did not know what it was called. It seemed like a fancier and much larger guitar, though even Junco could tell the instruments were very different, and if those were Snowsongs, which was easily guessed, he thought they would probably be quite offended if he called that a guitar.

He wondered what the occasion was to call for multiple performers. The music they were playing right now didn't seem too grand or strange. Maybe they were building up to something. Although Junco had no idea what or even when. He was sure, though, that the crowd's atmosphere would change when something about the performers changed.

Around the tavern Junco spotted a few people he knew besides those he sat with currently. A few more Frostfawns, a couple Winterflames he recognized, but could only recall the name of one and even Meanes Frostfawn, the shortbow trainer from the archery range. Now that he thought about it, he had never actually seen Maenes outside the range, expect of course within their Hold. It was curious to see her in actual real life outside her job and home. Maenes had trained Junco many times before in the shortbow and they were certainly on a first name basis (granted everyone was called by their first name since everyone had the same last names for the most part). Junco tried to catch her eye to say hello, maybe offer a seat at the table, though it seemed she was much more interested in the performers than anyone else in the tavern. So interested in fact she seemed to be fighting her way to the front lines.
Junco
Chris John Millington - Model

Words: 83397
Joined roleplay: May 26th, 2016, 10:14 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Epifanio Snowsong on June 5th, 2016, 10:12 pm

Title and Date

Epifanio stood up, ready to perform. His gamba in his clutches. He spoke out to the crowd of hunters and ice folk gathered in the Tavern. It wasn’t uncommon before a hunt for them to gather and try and plan the upcoming events or take a few days to get acquainted with each other. “For every hunt, there is a tale, and though this hunt wasn’t particular in the form of beasts…well animals… I have composed this very special song telling of strife and struggle as an archer.” Epifanio looked towards Baylor, Neena, and Kenava and shared a nod. They were ready to perform, just when Maenes Frostfawn had made her way to the front of the performance.

Epifanio shared eye contact with the woman dressed in black, and smiled. He knew that this performance could go one of two ways, but there was no turning back now. The hearth roared across the Tavern as silence soon fell suit waiting for the bard to start his musical plight. Epifanio took a table nearby as bow met string and mounted it carefully, sharing looks to Maenes and walking around. He plucked on his Gamba as Baylor followed suit with his guitar. Soon enough Kenava started playing her instrument sharing in the melody. As she started her melody, Epifanio began to sing.
Secret :

Lady dressed in black,
I can feel your pain
Your pain is mine to bare
To bare…

His lyrics loud and deep showed constrain through his vocal chords as he took bow to gamba and prolonging words to work with the flow of instrumental melody. Soon enough Neena started to sing. Her voice was like an angel, light and sung well.

No, I have no despair
No despair. I just hope you have the heart.
Else you won’t be spared
Won’t be spared.

Maenes started to catch on, as she normally wore black. She crossed her arms and listened to the performance showing a cold look on her face. Almost emotionless. Epifanio’s gracious voice thundered throughout the Tavern in a woeful bout of emotion.

Lady dressed in black
Grieving for yourself,
I don’t know what for
All so many times
Times…
I have seen your pain.
We find ourselves under,
Pain and hunger…
You traveled the world
Training on bow.
You’ll never be the same
Ever be the same.
Though I think you’ll find
Happiness somewhere
Somewhere in this world
Yeah, somewhere in this world.

He told of Maenes and her legend of how she left at the age of 17 from Avanthal, though left out any major details that would exactly point her out. Though, judging by her reaction it was completely clear now. She sat down and almost showed a smile towards the bard now dancing to the lyrics he sung while stroking his bow across the Gamba. As other instruments took their solo he acted as if he was firing a bow, aimed straight towards Maena’s torso. As she watched he shared a wink with her.

Neena’s angelic kid voice once again followed suit. Where, oh Where?
Where, Oh where? Except this time Epifanio kept singing as she sounded her vocals in the background.

Bleeding from our wrists
Pain struck from bow.
We are not so different
No not so different at all
At all…
Heart to find our worth
Morwen only knows
Oh, Morwen only knows…

His voice was starting to grow weary on the last vocal crescendos. His mouth outstretched during each vocalization. Gasping for air Neena quickly followed suit.
Ohhhh Oooooh
I took to the cold
Ohhhh Oooooh
Nobody knows,
Nobody knows,
But meeee.
Ill speak not a word
Else I’ll freeze.
Ohh… I will freeze.

She joined the table with Epifanio as he helped her up as she sung, and like a duet unlikely to have ever been in the Red Diamond Tavern before, their voices danced as they looked at each other conveying emotions of long lost love and passion.
Your heart is like an arrow
Quivers to the soul,
Quivers to the soul,
But when you struck that chord,
You took me for a stroll
Running round like fool,
Oh, don’t you feel the same?
Your black dress while I train,
Your black dress while I train.

As the song ended on more of a softer note Epifanio continued to dance as the instruments in the background kept the melody going for the crowd. Engrossed in his performance, Epifanio didn’t realize much as to of how the crowd reacted and of to how Maenes would react to the finally. Epifanio took Neena and bent the child over the edge of the table slightly before gently lowering her arched back to the floor as her head slid off. Epifanio stood up, looking sorrowful, and knelt down to Neena as if he lost grasp of her.

The music soon ended and he remained there in that position as all instruments fell silent. After a short chime he stood up and took to a proper vanthan bow to those in the Tavern. He noticed a few kissing in the corner, and a few others taking gulps of their drink before a single clap was heard from Maenes, and others soon follow suit.

As others took to clapping Maenes approached Epifanio … and what followed was surely a surprise to him.
Secret :
Epifanio Snowsong
Bard

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Junco on June 6th, 2016, 12:03 am

Junco's assumption of something bigger going on with the performers was correct. It wasn't long after Maenes Frostfawn arrived that the group started a large performance. The lead bard and what seemed lead singer, the one he normally saw in the tavern started by introducing his piece, something about it being hard being an archer. Junco grinned, he could hear that. He yelled "Hear, Hear!" along with a couple other scattered voices in the room.

The bard then struggled onto a nearby table and began his singing tale. The music itself was fantastic. And he thought, though with his nonexistent knowledge of music composition he could very easily, and probably was wrong, that the lyrics fit the beat very well. He was grateful, though, when a little girl, surprisingly young to have such a beautiful voice, joined the bard on stage and began to sing with him. The bards singing was rather awful and although he was able to, as far as Junco assumed, place the right words at the right times, the voice itself was not a pretty sound. The young girl who was was singing duet with him, as well as a backup female singer still on the ground, somewhat made up for the lack of skill on the males part.

With the three very different voices intermingling with each other Junco found it hard to decode the exact lyrics, although he could pick up on a phrase or two her and there. Overall he enjoyed the performance. It was certainly no masterpiece but the music was calming, somewhat sorrowful and cheerful at the same time, and Junco enjoyed it.

When the song ended Junco got up to go to the front lines. He still wanted to say hello to Maenes and maybe talk to her about her daily life... As far as he knew she didn't have a husband. Of course not that Junco thought of her like that...yet. Still he wanted to at least say hello, maybe offer her a spot on their hunting trip in a few days, or inquire as to who's horns were above the fireplace.

Right as he reached the front of the crowd though, he saw Maenes walk up to the lead singer, the male bard who was on the table earlier, and engage him in a conversation. He was unaware they knew each other, so he respectfully hung back, waiting until they finished. Around him the crowd began to dismiss, a couple threw some mizas into the performance area, which the performers smiled, friendly, at.

"As your song stated, I've traveled a bit of the world, yet not once did I have someone write a song about me. Perhaps I should have brought you along, Epifanio." Maenes tone seemed light and cheery, but knowing the teacher it could change at any moment. "However, Bard, what pain of mine are you talking about? How I recall, it was you who was in quite a bit of pain when I was finished with you." The archer's eyes slanted, looking hard at the musician, her arms crossed defensively.
Junco

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Epifanio Snowsong on June 6th, 2016, 3:00 am

Title and Date

Epifanio finished his song and took to the liking of the crowd. His eyes somewhat diverted to see if the group had made any money, but as his first big performance, he didn’t know how well they had fared. He looked toward Maena once more who had directly approached him, he responded in somewhat of a blush, and then gathered his guts and spoke firmly to the woman dressed in black. “You tell others often to find their heart. While searching for mine, I think I came across yours. You needn’t worry, though… You’re secret is safe with me.”

Epifanio spoke mostly in riddles. He knew that such a woman with cold emotions had to be hurting somehow in some way, and deep down, he wanted to find out why. After his response Maena stormed off after slapping Epifanio out of the tavern. As she was walking out the bard yelled out. “I will see you again!” He smiled towards one of his most noted people that was watching him who had yelled out “Hear, Hear!” before his performance. “Hello, my name is Epifanio Snowsong of the snowsong hold. I perform here quite a lot but this time I needed some assistance.” Epifanio briefly introduced the rest of the snowsong members who had joined him in his performance and turned to the most likely hunter who had been before him.

“Did you have something to say to Maenes?” Epifanio said blushingly while pulling his arm up to the back of his head with a smile. “Sorry about that, she isn’t always the warmest of vanthan here. Though, I wouldn’t see her … freezing.” Epifanio played a joke on his own performance and laughed while taking a swig of a nearby tankard with ale in it.
Secret :
Epifanio Snowsong
Bard

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Junco on June 6th, 2016, 3:23 am

As Junco eavesdropped on Maenes and the head bard he only managed to catch a few words. Maenes mentioned something about traveling the world... Should've brought... and then something else about pain. It sounded like they were talking about the lyrics of the song... You know it was funny, in the song the 'woman in black' traveled the world. Everyone knew Maenes did too of course, what a coincidence, maybe Maenes was mentioning that to him.

However as the other Vantha replied to Ms. Frostfawn, Junco overheard something about finding their heart... secret safe with me... Hmm. Interested, Junco tried to listen more intently. Perhaps the two knew each other on a deeper level than the hunter had first realized. However he was shocked out of his spying when the archery teacher suddenly slapped the bard in the face, turned on her heel and walked out. Junco, too stunned and agape to do anything just stared at Maene's retreating figure until she disappeared through the doors. The crowd of the tavern had fallen silent for a few ticks in the aftermath, before they metaphorically shrugged their shoulders and continued with their conversations.

Realizing too late that he still wanted to talk to Maenes, he accepted his losses and turned to look at the bard, who still had a nice red hue to his cheek. Junco tried to stifle a chuckle, it didn't work. As he did so the Vantha in front of him introduced himself. Epifanio of Snowsong hold. Well that was given Junco thought. Musical talent naturally came from Snowsong. He was also very grateful that Epifanio introduced the rest of his crew, Junco thought it was very respectful to acknowledge his group members as well as himself. Junco knew full well as a hunter that teamwork was vital and if one tried to single themselves out they would be left behind rather quickly.

Before talking to Epifanio, Junco leaned down so he was at eye level with the young female who sang along with Epifanio on the table. "You have a very pretty voice." he commented, pulling out a single silver miza from his pocket and handing it to her. The little girl smiled, blushed, grabbed the coin, and ran away to hide behind the other female in the group. Junco grinned and turned to the bard. "I have a sister a little older than her, a guess I have a soft spot." He paused for a moment, then remembered he should probably introduce himself, "Junco Frostfawn, good to meet the musician that graces this poor tavern."

Looking back at the door where Maenes was last seen, Junco replied, "Oh, no I guess not. Just wanted to say hello. I see her a lot in the Hold, I'll just have to catch her later... Speaking of her though, I'm guessing you know her? At least I doubt anyone can piss someone off that quickly, even Maenes..." However as Junco's mind inadvertently repeated the last words Epifanio had uttered, he came to a sudden realization. It seemed the bard had made a joke about Maenes freezing... One of the prominent lines in his song was about freezing... Was that song about Maenes? Maybe that would explain the slap! Plus Maenes seemed to always wear black!

Now that he was by the stage with the performers he felt a little awkward. He had seen Epifanio here before, but had never tipped him in anyway, or actually acknowledged him really. He felt a little bad now that he gave it more thought... He'd always treated the musicians kind of like a backdrop, even though clearly, as Junco saw with this performance, they were simply trying to better themselves in something they loved. Wanting to fix his wrongdoings he thought perhaps the bard would enjoy talking about the thing he loved so much, so Junco asked a couple of questions.

"I know the other is playing the guitar, but what is the instrument you are playing? I've never seen it before besides when you're here playing by yourself. Did you write that piece yourself?"
And going a little further into the depths of Epifanio, Junco dared to ask, "What that song about Maenes?"
Junco

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Epifanio Snowsong on June 6th, 2016, 3:46 am

Title and Date

Epifanio didn’t mind the slap so much. He was used to such a thing actually, but he truly didn’t mean to offend Maenes. Something told him he didn’t really offend her, that was just her way of reacting to the comment that he had made, as if she had no other response amongst a group of people. As Epifanio watched the kind hunter tip out the little girl, he smiled greatly. “That was kind of you. Thank you.” Epifanio was sure that perhaps such a kind person could be a good friend, and intuitively started to pay more attention to Junco.

“I don’t think she was pissed, but… he slap did sting a bit. Its like that bow of hers extends to her palms!” The bard made another joke, but this time wasn’t smiling. As he was conversing with the hunters the rest of the snowsong stood there conversing with others and having a good time. A few more tips went their way and Epifanio didn’t mind. He knew that this would have been a travesty without their help, and they deserved it far more than himself, but the practice of a live show was incomparable.

“Oh, this is my Gamba. Her name is Eisen. A gamba has the most dynamics out of a majority of string instruments. It has seven to eight strings, depending on the player, and has a wide range. This one is larger than most, but they come in all sorts of sizes. The necks can be longer too depending on the tastes of the player.” Epifanio enjoyed speaking about Eisen, and it was perhaps his only true love. How he fondled her so while talking to Junco might seem awkward to those not relative to instruments, but it went along with his words while he spoke and described it.

Epifanio went on for a few chimes explaining how the hollow base allowed sound to pass through it and reverberate and in the process strummed a few chords. He also showed Junco common ways to hold it. He would continue talking so long as Junco continued to show interest, and as time went by he changed subject to that of hunting.

“You know, seeing as how I am in the Tavern quite a bit… I get to see many things and hear many gossip. You see that prize there above the hearth? I heard that it was killed by Tovan of Frostfawn. You said you were part of Frostfawn? I heard this particular prize was speared down then his Falcon came up and killed it the rest of the way by scratching out it’s eyes!” Epifanio told of a rumor mostly, and how it held true was up to interpretation, but alas his shared in the story more adding a bit of some dramatic flare to make Tovan seem like a god amongst hunters, even if he was just a falconair.
Secret :
Epifanio Snowsong
Bard

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Junco on June 6th, 2016, 4:15 am

Junco listened, half feigning interest, half actual interest, depending on what the bard was talking about. He droned on about his 'Gamba' which he apparently named like it was a living thing. At first Junco thought that was rather strange, but as Epifanio went on he saw how attached the man was to this thing. It kind of reminded him of Bastian his hunting dog, and once he made that comparison Junco felt he began to understand the musician a little more than he might have before. Although the hunter was completely lost when Epifanio began to talk about the instrument's mechanics and how air went through it and notes or something.

"You know I have a dog, his name is Bastian, your Gamba kind of reminds me of him. Well, not the instrument, Bastians an animal obviously, I just meant the way you care about that thing is kind of like how I care about my dog, even though Bastian is like a living thing, not to be offensive, it is a little confusing."
Junco rambled a bit at the end, trying to make his point but stumbling about trying not to sound insensitive., his eyes turning purple in embarrassment.

He continued to listen to Epifanio as he lectured on, however soon the conversation shifted to a topic that concerned Junco more, hunting. More specifically the horns on the wall the small hunter had been admiring. Apparently Tovan had killed the beast sometime ago. Junco laughed, that's why he hadn't heard about it. Tovan was a very good hunter, a little broody, kind of quiet. he wasn't much of a boaster or even talker really. But that wasn't why the achievement hadn't reached him. Tovan was one of the best hunters in Frostfawn and a lot of others hated him for it. He was young, mid 20s, only a few years older than Junco, and very, very skilled. Most others older than him and less skilled were very jealous. If Tovan had a great achievement the last thing the others would want to happen is for that to get out. "I should have known it was Tovan, great hunter that one is!" Junco didn't share the hatred most had for the other hunter, of course envy sometimes slipped through, mostly respect and admiration were the feelings he had for the man. He was skilled, talented, but it was because he worked for it. He certainly wasn't born with the gift, he wanted it and he got it by the sweat of his brow, that Junco knew for a fact. "You know speaking of hunting, you mentioned bows in your song... and I'm assuming you met Maenes at her range. So you shoot or hunt? I use a shortbow myself."
Junco

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Next