Open Balm for the Soul. Balm for the body.

Having had three people Alex knew well up and vanish Alex heads out to find a new guide for his path.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Balm for the Soul. Balm for the body.

Postby Alexander Faircroft on June 7th, 2016, 1:22 pm

11th Summer 516
10:03AM
???

Description "Alex Common" Alex thoughts "Myrian" "Fratava" "Others"

Alex ran the tips of his steel clad fingers over the length of the blade he carried. The cold steel singing as the steel passed against steel. His eyes closed as he turned his head turned skywards. The soft winds rolling over him as he sat quietly. Pulling from the pouch at his side a whet stone he began to run it lightly along the edge of his blade. A practice he’d taken up in the last days of spring. Learning was his bread and butter, and keeping a sharp blade was as important as keeping a sharp mind at least in this kind of work.

"Faircroft!” The voice called out loudly. Before him stood a large and imposing figure. Ser Rex Algens. In Greyhearts absence Ser Imass had taken over as Alex’s tutor and patron. Since Imass’ duties took him elsewhere Alex had fallen under the stead of Ser Algens. “Good to see you working so early…Suppose I should thank Ser Imass for that. Any way I have news for you. Ser Sebastian will be back in ten days along with his full wing. It seems his mission went successfully."

Finally some good news. Something helpful and forth right. Alex flexed his fingers, the soreness in his body still there but… easier to cope with. Good news. Words a balm to the soul, whereas good company was a balm to the body. He’d come to realize in the last few days it wasn’t his body which ached so consistently it was his soul. He’d lost too many people and been relegated back to isolation again.
“My thanks Ser Algens.” Alex said no more than that. He wanted too but he’d come to realize he’d picked up some bad habits off of Ser Imass. One was learning to not say more than he needed too. Whereas before he’d speak his mind without a moment’s notice or mask the words behind a thin veneer of pleasantry. Now he just said the bluntest of responses.

“Now Squire Faircroft. Rise. We’ve work for today. On your feet.” Alex nodded and rose finishing the last scrape of his blade. Slipping the sword and the stone back into their homes Alex took off pacing behind Ser Algens. And with a turn of a corner. He’d vanished. Disappearing into the crowds of knights that had gathered. Alex tried to meander through only to see no-one he knew at least not yet. Intermingled with the swarm of knights and squires however was, a smattering of the common people.

Alex flexed the fingers of his left hand. The tendons still not entirely healed yet. Having the same arm dislocated three times in the span of ninety days had caused him good deal of pain. A pain which still lingered along his fore arm. The scuffle with Imass at the top of that cliff had left him a few nasty scratches but overall, he was still fit for duty. He had to be. If he wasn’t who else could he rely on now that everyone was gone? Or at least avoiding him.

Alexander Faircroft
A criminal, without a crime.

Words: 945306
Joined roleplay: January 5th, 2016, 9:21 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Garland on June 15th, 2016, 3:51 pm

Garland looked on as a crowd started growing, he sat idly by on a low wall. Of course some strange thing was happening but Garland didn't really care right now.

His entire body ached and his muscles just screamed at him for no reason. This was because of him learning Flux, he still couldn't use it effectively in battle, and a part of him wants to keep practicing and keep using it, wanting to get better.

He pinched his cheek hard, and calmed down his thoughts and cravings. So this is what mages have to deal with? This 'overgiving'... no wonder there aren't more people using magic. A lot of people I know would already be dead because of the power going to their heads...

The headache was barely bearable. Garland needed to keep his mind focused or it would just wander back to using the flux. He had taken several pieces of wood and a dagger and just started sharpening them to a point that they were crude javelins and spears.

After five javelins he simply got bored and planted the crude weapons in the ground and left them there. Garland sighed and decided to go to the crowd. He he made his way there, he happened to spot a familiar face.

He gave a sigh, he really didn't have the energy to be happy or energetic, but if he wanted to keep his magic a secret he would have to be his usual happy-go-lucky self.

He threw on a fake smile ran up to Alex. "ALEX!" He yelled and tackled the squire into a hug. "Hello my friend! What's going on? What's with the crowd?"
Garland
A Father First, A Squire Second

Words: 687461
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2014, 2:02 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Alexander Faircroft on June 17th, 2016, 2:19 pm

Far too focused on the group of gathering knights and common folk than he should have been he failed to notice the feel of someone standing behind him until he felt the whirl of arms around his shoulders and the crashing impact of someone. The impact was accompanied by a loud outburst of his name. With the pounding near constant headaches that he had to endure thanks to his Auristics he had to brace himself to not turn and hit the person straight in the jaw. Though to be honest the headache was less than half of the reason he was annoyed the other was that someone had managed to close in on him without him noticing. If Imass had been here he’d probably have had to deal with another beating because of it.

Rolling his shoulder beneath his armour the memory of the voice suddenly snapped to attention. Garland? It had been a good while since Alex had seen the other squire he just assumed he was out of town but no he stood here right next to…Partially crushing him.
“Good to see you too Garland. As for the crowd…Not a clue, though if I may ask could you do two things? First ease the grip, it’s hard to breathe. Second, lower the volume a little heads been pounding since yesterday thanks to a hard blow to the head from ser Algens training sword. Heads been ringing like a bell ever since.” Not entirely untrue he’d taken a strike to the head the previous day however it wasn’t hard enough to last that long. No this pain was from another bout of overgiving with his Auristics, or “Sight beyond sight” as he’d grown fond of calling it.

Garland probably had no clue of the insanity that was the latter half of spring for him. Or the beginning of it really. In all honesty Alex had only seen garland once in a span of a whole season. And perhaps that was for the best with the recent spell of everyone particularly close to him just vanishing. As he began to speak Ser Titus one of the most note able sergeants spoke up atop a small platform in front of the crowd.
“Knights. Squires…As most of you know there’s been a few issues recently with squires leaving and knights going on missions. The frequency has increased as well as have our losses, but there is good news. We received word that Ser Greyheart was returning to the city soon. He and his wing of knights shall be returning to tutor their squires once more. As for the others on missions… Status is still unknown. Dismissed.” As he spoke Ser Titus hurled his Warhammer, the giant weapon of intimidation rested lightly like a stick in a young boy’s hand against his shoulder. Alex wondered if anyone else here could lift that thing let alone wield it with such ease.

As Garlands grip release Alex winced as he felt his elbow needing a few moments to straighten out and bend again. Before long he just gave up and let it rest on the pommel of his bastard sword.
“How’s spring treated you Garland? Other than that little escapade with the dressed obviously… We shall never speak of that after this time…”
If garland was paying close attention he might have been able to see the subtle change in Alex, over the latter half of spring and the beginning of summer he’d returned to his old self but there was still a lingering feeling coming off of him. A feeling of defeat and underlying failure. Something that had been re-enforced time and time again over the latter half of spring.
It wasn’t just a purely mental and spiritual change either, the over look of how he stood how he angled himself how he acted seemed sharper but slower like the pain was still building in his body and the lingering injuries lurked deeper than he let on.

Alexander Faircroft

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Garland on June 22nd, 2016, 3:30 pm

Garland eased up and gave a genuine smile to Alex. "I've been around... Had an adventure that was a bit too high-stakes for my liking, and met up with a friend who's been gone for a little while. Other than that, fairly standard spring."

When Alex mentioned the dress fiasco, Garland couldn't help but laugh. "I don't know about you, but I quite like the breeze between my legs!" He laughed and scratched the back of his head. "Not so much the attention though... Drunk men will lay anything, gods! Glad that I don't work in taverns, I don't know how those serving girls do it."

Just then a knight up on top of a small platform started talking. There had been plenty of quests and jobs for the knights, though none of them really addressed the bigger picture, it was impossible to protect the whole world, but just sitting here inside safety of the walls while other places plot about the destruction of Syliras, slavers taking women and children like treasure, men murdering each other for material possessions just didn't seem right.

Garland remembered what happened about two years ago, the entire front gate was destroyed, hundreds dead, attack from all sides, and what did the knights do? Logically they would rebuild first, but after that? Nothing, they pretend like it never happened.

"There's probably going to be a recruitment event of some sort this season." Garland said and crossed his arms, the headache was one thing, but his body was also quite battered, he tried not to show it, trying his best to keep his happy-go-lucky visage up, but his eyes betrayed a tiredness to them, like when he first became a parent, but there was no story of joy in the bags under his eyes, no pride in the ache in his muscles and no peace in the migraine in his head.

Garland sighed and dropped the act all together. "I don't know about you, but I'm dead tired, and it's not even midday yet... I think. I've spent later parts of spring hunting someone, someone who threatened my family, it really drained a lot out of me, so right now I think I might just relax. I've spent more than my required hours working, I think I'd deserve at least one day off."

Under normal circumstances Garland would have been all over Alex's tired expression and would have noticed his injuries or at least heard of them. But being mostly busy with trying to find someone, and the headache he was feeling, everything seemed normal with Alex, he was always a bit serious for his own good, but there was a charm in it.
Garland

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Alexander Faircroft on June 24th, 2016, 2:41 pm

The sharp look that Alex gave garland after the dress comments could have cut glass. There were a few unwelcome advances that if he’d been a man of lesser moral fibre would have caused serious injury. Still he said nothing more on the subject and just sighed lightly. A recruitment event? Great more greenhorns like me. It won’t end well. It won’t be pretty. And for damned sure it won’t be easy for em. His hand raised up and lent on the edge of the sword at his side.
“No offence Garland. But if any greenhorns like me turn up… Turn em away. Doing this day in and day out, it’ll break em.” And for the first real time since Garland had met him he’d see a genuine look of sadness across his features.

Then it struck him the mirrored look in Garland. That drag. The look of someone haggard and drawn out for a reason beyond his own means. Shortly after the explanation was handed over.
“Sorry to hear that Garland. If I’d been available I’d have given a hand. Sadly I was dragged off by Ser Imass for the latter half of spring… Operating on three hours of sleep a night for thirty days. I’m sure as a parent you can understand pulling a twenty one hour day… consistently.” He raised his left hand to the bridge of his nose with a small glint of pain sparking through his features. Left hand still un-co-operative, but something manageable now. Still with Garland’s comments of wanting to take the day to relax… Didn’t sound too bad however that wasn’t in the cards for him.

“Taking a day just to take time out… I can’t do it.” Alex gazed down to the sword by his side and then to the arm still disobeying him. “I’ve had too many close calls, too many situations where if I hadn’t had help I’d not be standing here. Too many monsters lurk in the night for me to just stand idly by and too many people are getting hurt. Take a day Garland. Sounds like you need it.” Alex wasn’t trying to put down what Garland was doing. More musing on the fact that garland could take time. Whilst Alex didn’t dare, he was still by far too weak and impotent to defend himself let alone others. “The strong should take some time to relax.” Alex spoke this time as he walked beside Garland, the height difference between them showing as Alex placed his right hand on Garlands shoulder. “The weak amongst us should keep training.” Alex gave off a weak smile and a small nod indicating that he meant himself. Before starting to walk. If garland followed he’d find the destination was in fact the place where they first met.

Even broken in mind and body Alex never neglected his training for one reason and one reason only. He didn’t want others to have to go through what he had. Stretching out his stance a loud series of creaks sounded from his shoulders as he reached to draw his blade. His usual defensive stance fore gone instead he adopted one of more aggression more angled power. His sword pointed forwards but reeled back angled out from his shield. The shield itself angled upwards like a fist. Learning from Imass for a good twenty days had given his arsenal some greater depth.
Alexander Faircroft

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Garland on June 30th, 2016, 3:53 am

Garland just stared at Alex, was he trying to be obvious, but still hardheaded? Garland watched as he practiced his forms, in fact, more forms and better than what Garland has in his arsenal right now.

Though there was also a stiffness in his body, that would be a detriment to Alex's exceptional skill. Garland placed his hand on Alex's shoulder. "Come on, let's face it, you've surpassed me in technique already, and I've at least been here a year longer than you."

"You need rest, having your body breaking down when you're still in your prime would be a wasted gift in this city." Garland let go and waited if Alex removed his own weapons. If not, well he wasn't about to leave obviously weary friend alone, training his heart out and damaging his body by overexerting himself.

If he wasn't going to come quietly, Garland would just have to knock him out quickly and carry him to the spa to relax whether he likes it or not. He always had his sword on him, and even though he didn't want to hurt Alex, training in this state would cause more problems than a pommel to the head.

Sera Catherine walked towards the two squires, a look of hidden relief was on her face. Though several nights of worrying were much more apparent than the relief. She composed as best she could and walked over to the two of them.

"Well, did you hear Ser Greyheart was on his way back. I wasn't worried or anything, but- what happened to you two, it looks like you've been fighting a legion of Yukmen by yourselves for weeks on end." She pointed out and Garland just gave a small smile, more forced than genuine, but he was still happy to see her.

"We're fine, just a bit tired from training and everyday. I was hoping to have Alex join me for a rest, we've both been working more than our dues wouldn't you think Sera?" He asked, she would know just how much Garland had been working, even the times when he wasn't on the list, his treks through the woods, joining patrols when it was his off-time, and training in the pits when he should be resting.

She didn't know much about Alex, but Ser Greyheart did say to keep an eye on him, and she did for the most part, there was something off about Alex that just kept growing.

"I reckon that you two deserve a bit of R&R. Squire Alex, why don't you go and take a day off with Garland? Have a drink, go to the spa, maybe take a bath once in a week." She directed the last comment to Garland and gave a stern smile, just waiting for him to retort.

Garland was too tired to actually make a comeback, instead he just smiled and gave her a rather rude gesture, it was all fun and good, and Garland had caught her in a good mood and she just laughed. "Well, get to it. I am not going to babysit you two to make sure you relax for a day. Go on, get out of here."
Garland

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Alexander Faircroft on July 1st, 2016, 6:28 pm

A sharp pain stabbed through his shoulders as he finished a follow up swing. The weight of his shield almost doubled and his sword’s tip dropped. His hands clenched tightly as his knuckles flashed white beneath the steal of his plate. Words from Imass rocked in his head. Show no pain, show now fatigue not until your foe is defeated and you stand above them. His sword streaked down the edge of the steel sending small sparks racing off from the stone work.

The weight of his steel built up a little too much and his legs finally gave out in strength dropping to one knee he flipped his sword up to slip in between the stones and used it as a brace. Only then did Garlands words cut through his malaise. He’d surpassed him. Hardly.
“Sadly no. I’ve only just begun. I’ve learnt from a lot of different teachers and I’ve dabbled in a lot of weapons. But in variety comes a lack of specialization. I’m willing to bet, between us if it came down to raw skill with our best weapons you’d win. But with regards to rest… I can’t afford too.”

Alex paused a moment struggling to his feet using his sword closer to a cane than a blade. When Sera Catherine came meandering over towards the duo. At the mention of his mentor and patron Alex nodded slowly Acknowledging the fact he’d heard about him returning. With a moment of regained strength Alex closed his eyes still holding a position of a gaze towards sera Catherine as he opened them a swirl of almost chaotic purples filled his vision a maelstrom of shades of violet and indigo. Again he’d be damned if he knew what they meant but it was nice enough to see that she was in fact human. His vision faded as he closed his eyes and he seemed to lean a little more on his sword his strength sapped from his form.

The jibing comments of Sera Catherine as usual aimed less at him and more at her true target. Which to be fair she often hit with little effort. Alex just slowly nodded seeing the returning familiarity between the two. A twinge of jealously sparked inside of him simply for the fact that garland had so many people close to him whilst Alex had none. As the thoughts washed over him he pushed up onto his feet again and slid the sword into its sheath. His balance a little rocky but still he looked fine otherwise.

“If I’m going to be forced to avoid training for a day by two sources then perhaps I shall have to avoid training.” He sighed heavily and struggled a little his form shaking lightly as he tried to hold his composure. A fleck of a grimace at the corner of his mouth. Showing a vague glimmer of his strain.
Alexander Faircroft

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Garland on July 3rd, 2016, 7:02 am

Garland smiled, he really didn't want to fight Alex right now, even if it was for his own good. He grabbed Alex's hand and dragged him away from the training area.

"You've been to the Soothing Water before, ya? If not, you'll love the massages they give, like finding every point of tension in your body and unwinding it." He said blissfully, just thinking about it helped calm his nerves.

"One rule before we go any further! No talking about squire stuff and work, alright?" He said with a playful smile. The two of them eventually made it to the set of double doors and a sign that said the name of the establishment.

Garland zoomed down the stairs eager to get relaxing. Ivis, the receptionist for the Soothing Waters for a few years now gave his usual spiel. "Hey Ivis, two masseurs please, and the pool."

Ivis remembered Garland, but it had been a while since he came here. It took a little bit for him to remember his name. "Garland, yes? Are you injured? You don't usually come here unless you have an injury or you brought a girl."

"If you count being tired as injured and Alex as a girl than yes I am injured and have brought a girl." He gave a cheeky smile at Alex as a joke and walked into the locker rooms and took off his clothes and stuffed them into a locker.

"Huh... Well Alex, the masseurs are a bit busy at the moment, you can go into the pool if you wish." Ivis said and wrote down their names in a log book. He motioned for Alex to go ahead.

Garland was already in the waters, soaking in the healing and soothing heat and steam. "Ahhhh~" He sighed blissfully and stretched his arms out on the edge of the pool.

"Come on, Alex. Get into the water, it's feels great." He said and splashed a bit of water up at Alex's feet.
Garland

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Alexander Faircroft on July 3rd, 2016, 9:50 pm

The question of nwether or not Alex had been to the soothing waters was one that Alex himself had found to be at least Semi redundant. He’d had some… Odd encounters there. Meetings with people he hadn’t planned and even when he want to just relax things often crept up on him, and he’d end up cutting his day short often just to dash off and do more work. He grimaced and followed behind garland a small nod his only acceptance of Garland’s conditions.

Whilst he could see garland starting to sway and move with more ease it was having the opposite effect on Alex. Still he let his shoulders slump and roll back to allow him a modicum of relaxation. A masseur? Alex cocked his head lightly and then recalled what it was. Shaking his head be wanted to say no but before he could even open his trap the whole transaction had been rolled through. However there was a small flash of annoyance across Alex’s features at Garlands comment. Unlike the shorter stockier frame that Garland held Alex’s own was more lithe and nimble alongside being taller. And with the length his hair had grown out too as of late he did hold the appearance of a somewhat feminine stature still it wasn’t something he wanted attention brought too.

Heaving out a sight he lifted a towel off of the counter and nodded with a small smirk towards Ivis as he walked past. Doffing his armour was a more laborious process as he did so having to be careful to not shift the position of his hidden throwing daggers just in case. Tucking all of the steel his sword and then his clothing into a locker he could barely get the door closed before he stepped through to the main pools. The soft roll of the steam causing him to perspire with the mix of the warm summer air.

Now without his armour it was visible the sheer amount of pain he’d been through, bruised everywhere and some small healed over cuts from training with Imass, alongside the large sun shaped scar on his left shoulder. And the dark bruise that still held itself around his left elbow. Settling down into the waters was relaxing if a little sore. Letting the waters raise up to his neck as he slipped even his shoulders beneath the steaming pools he exhaled slowly before forming the first words to garland he’d said since arriving.
“If I’m not allowed to talk about work then what would you have me chat about, after all we both essentially live our work.” He chuckled out lightly before wincing at a stabbing pain above his hip.

Alexander Faircroft

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Garland on July 6th, 2016, 12:07 pm

"Well, living our work is one thing, but constantly talking about it is another." Garland laughed and relaxed in the pool. He gave a small smile at Alex and thought about what they could talk about.

He was drawing a blank honestly. "Well, I can talk about my encounter with a friend, or talk about my kids." He said and dunked his head under the water for a tick and resurfaced. "Or I could tell you about the time my kid's mother almost drowned here. Kind of embarrassing since she was a seafarer and survived worst, like the time she set fire on herself while underwater." Garland reminisced, he slowly quieted down.

He did miss April but he was over her, he missed her as a friend and if anything he wanted his kids to have a mother. Hence he searched for anyone to fill the role, Elann, Lora, maybe even Catherine. He just wanted his children to have a mother figure to care for them.

Then he thought about Sayana for only a brief moment and just dismissed it entirely. She was too much of a wild card and not exactly a homebody. "Maybe if we take a second to stop living our jobs and start going to taverns with friends, we'd have more stories to tell. Though this season I'll more or less be preoccupied with my little problem." He said and thought about the recruitment this summer if there was one.

"Well I said I wouldn't think of work, but I had an idea that would be good fun I think. I remember the Harvest Festival every year during fall and that usually it would have the Shield games, a tournament like thing, but maybe having a more diversified group may be good, like a hunting or archery. You know what, naw... Petch it, the knights are slow for planned events anyway." He sighed and sank low into the pool, the water almost reached up to his nose.

After a little while just sitting in the pool, Garland had almost fallen asleep when a rather scantly clad lady walked up to them. Clothes were usually forbidden in the pool area but the workers all had uniforms for the jobs they offered.

"Excuse me, Garland and Alex? The masseurs are ready for you." She said and looked over to a pair of massage tables. "Please follow me."

Garland pulled himself up from the water and yawned. "Come on Alex, this massage should relieve any tension in your muscles. I would offer the-ahem-more intimate services here, but as far as I know you're pretty timid in that department. Well, let's get to it then."
Garland

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next