Closed Vigilant's Lament II

Continued

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Vigilant's Lament II

Postby Imass on March 14th, 2016, 2:20 am

Imass opened the door of the Bittern Barracks. It was a large wooden frame with lots of metal rivets, built to withstand a battering ram. The main hall of the Barrack was half full with Knights sitting on tables eating breakfast; by this time in the morning most of the gentry were out and about on duty. Long thin windows let the bright spring sunshine fill the room.

Ambling down the center aisle, the two took seats alone on a simple wooden bench and table. The Akalak placed his dagger on the table for more comfort while sitting. A page approached them immediately and asked what they wanted.

"Bring us a loaf of bread each, two jugs of clean water, a large bowl of broth, and two plates of beef -- as much meat as you can manage -- you better be quick about it Page!" The little boy ran off with the fear of Rhysol in his eyes, as Imass stared him down with broken teeth showing.

Imass turned back to Faircroft, "You have been paired up with Ser Greyheart for a reason Squire. Everything has a purpose in Syliras. Nothing is wasted,"

Imass took a deep breath, "Out of all your peers only half will receive their vows. The rest will quit or die. Such is the way in Mizahar,"

Imass looked at Faircroft with dull yellow eyes, "Out of the Squires who make it, they will all be reassigned. Those without families will be sent to the far reaches to guard forsaken outposts. Others will spend a life of menial duty in the city. Others will be sent to their deaths in battle. All based on their strengths and weaknesses... but its not like you don't already know this; there is hardly a chance you will remain in the same Squadron as any of your peers... The training you are receiving is a duty beyond the scope of some of the others. You are expected to perform at a higher caliber, than most,"

The water and bread arrived, "What took you so long Page!? Bring us the rest and be quicker about it," Imass snapped with a mean look on his face.

Taking the loaf of bread, the Knight began to stuff his face. He ate loudly and unembarrassed. He looked like a savage, gulping the water in large portions and biting huge chunks at a time, hardly chewing.

"I have spent three entire years locked in a dungeon cell. I have found a new gratefulness for good food and drink. It is something I shall never take for granted ever again. This food is a luxury for those in the Order. If I see you wasting a drop, I shall beat you were you stand," As he said this he stared Alex in the eyes with a cold, relentless glare.

Picking up what remained of his loaf he waved it in front of Alex's face, "Bread is energy. Bread will make you strong. Bread is what will make or break you, mark my works, so, eat up pretty boy!" His eyes relaxed and a smile came to his face once again.
Imass
Veteran of the Sahova Campaign

Words: 431651
Joined roleplay: June 19th, 2012, 4:35 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1)

Vigilant's Lament II

Postby Alexander Faircroft on March 14th, 2016, 2:58 am

Description "Alex Common" Alex thoughts "Myrian" "Fratava" "Others"

Alex followed behind Imass, his eyes darting over the Knights barracks mess hall. Uncertain of what was going on, he’d never really visited this particular area, normally he spent his time here visiting his patron and learning from him. Alex watched Imass then scare the life out of a page who dashed off to retrieve what Imass requested before he turned to speak with Alex, who sat next to him along the wooden bench. Alex could feel his eyes beginning to grow tired but forced them open. The first thing Greyheart had taught him was how to cope with sleep deprivation after all.

“I wasn’t paired with Greyheart…He sponsored me when I wanted to join. In fact he was the one who convinced me to join.” His words were soft as usual now not edged but firm though Imass’ words of either quitting or dying were his only two options other than rising. Alex slightly slowly listening to Imass continue not one of boredom nor incredulity but of wanting to force the pain out of shoulders. “Just because I want to remain on good terms with them doesn’t mean I want to remain with them. Ser.”

Words simple but held much more meaning that one could possibly take stock of. “I appreciate the faith don’t get me wrong but. I can’t help but feel it’s misplaced.” His words were honest, and as the page returned only to be scared half to death by Imass’ snap and scamper away to bring the rest of his request. Imass wasted no time delving into the food like a wild animal. Alex however took a moment to just enjoy the smell of the bread, freshly baked that morning it was something that he rarely got the chance to enjoy. Breaking it lightly between his hands he began to dig in as well but before he even took a single bite of the bread he lifted the jug of water and began to drain the pitcher. Almost two pints gone in an instant. Replenishing the lost water from earlier. Only when he felt refreshed enough did he start to eat.

As he did he heard Imass say something about wasting food through mouthfuls of bread. But unlike the wolfing Imass Alex saved half of his loaf. “I have an idea what it means to waste food. I spent some time in Nyka, and food is rationed there something awful. So I adjusted accordingly saving what I could and eating only what I needed to fill. But I agree that is nothing compared to three years within a prison cell.” Alex took the cold glare and returned one with an implacability. For as much as Imass pushed Alex remained firm. Breaking away from the shared stare he heard a small tone of what appeared to be joy in Imass’ voice. Perhaps what Imass needed was a good plate of food. Alex however had just concluded what he needed was in fact sleep.

“Ser, I know it behoves me to ask, but I must. Why the interests in training me to this extent. Even Ser Greyheart didn’t take this much intent in training me. Instead he farmed me out to other knights to train with briefly and it appears he’s done the same again here.” A cool honesty in Alex’s voice not quite cold but still enough to let Imass know he was slightly more serious than he usually was.

Alexander Faircroft
A criminal, without a crime.

Words: 945306
Joined roleplay: January 5th, 2016, 9:21 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Vigilant's Lament II

Postby Imass on March 14th, 2016, 5:11 pm

The Knight finished his loaf of bread in silence as he listened to the Squire speak. Raising his eyebrow at the fact he saved half the loaf, Imass interrupted him briefly with a look of terror, "Eat all your food, it is part of your training. You are going to have to eat a lot of food to gain the muscles and stamina you need. I will not say it again,"

Imass did not like the fact that Faircroft was so faithless of his words. The Squire seemed to have no confidence; whether or not it was because of the Order's actions, was unbeknownst to Imass. The page returned with the broth and beef, sliding each respective plate of food across the wooden table.

The Knight began to eat the slices of beef without responding to Alex's inquire. He thought a moment on what to say, "Nyka are isolationist,"

Imass picked up the large bowl of broth and drank some, "Meaning they hate and most of the time utterly refuse in dealing with other cities. They refuse to connect the Kabrin to their city, yet claim to be the "Heart of Mizahar", simply because of the Aperture. Nyka has an outstanding order that no citizen be armed with blades or steel of any kind, another indication of their isolationist ways. They do not seek progress. They do not share their secrets of the bountiful harvest,"

Imass ripped a piece of the steak in his mouth, blood dripping on his chin, "They are fools and cowards as a whole, though I have met several brave soul among them. Nyka did not send a host to fight in the Campaign against Sahova, refusing to deal with a problem right in their area,"

The Akalak turned again to Faircroft, "They will join us, whether in this life or next. Mark my words. For there will be no escape from the terror of evil when it's on their doorstep. Then they will want our help. Then they will seek Knightly aid,"

The Knight laughed and proceeded to scoff down more meat, "As for you, Faircroft... you must understand the Yahal works in mysterious ways. You will never understand truly how he operates, it is not your place as a mere mortal. Ser Greyheart is wise and has allowed you to learn multiple paths in the Order. It will make you a better, well-rounded Knight. Do you think the others have the mental capacity for such training? Yahal has put the other Squires down a different path than you and you must embrace it,"

Imass paused for a good while to drink broth and down more meat, "Ahhhh... I was trained by Ser Moustache. He died of old age before we departed on the campaign. He was hard and tough. He trained those of us who were destined to be vanguard-men and front-line soldiers. The things I teach you will allow you to survive in the hairiest situations. Situations where unless you hold the power you will get you slain immediately, even if it's by an inch. When we fight on the front lines, it is a battle of willpower, strategy, and technique,"

"On the front-line you are only accountable to those to your right and your left. No one thank you back in the City,"

Imass guffawed, "There is no parade for those who held the shield wall; only for those who lead the charge or made the decision... You may not follow the same path as me in the end, only Yahal knows, but while you are with me I will show you the way,"

"This is why I do what I do Faircroft and if you can't understand that after my explanation, I don't know what will... Finish your food, every last piece,"
Imass

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Vigilant's Lament II

Postby Alexander Faircroft on March 14th, 2016, 9:21 pm

As Imass and Alex spoke Alex began to hollow out the second half of the loaf he’d saved. Imass was right of course however, he was intending to eat it but he’d heard “broth” mentioned prior. However he still rolled the bread in his hands munching on the softer centre. Alex listened carefully to what Imass had to say about Nyka, and from what Alex knew of it he was right in the majority, however Alex knew nothing about the “Sahova” campaign. In regards to their bountiful harvest as Imass put it Alex knew that was attributed to the “four celestials”, having spent a full year within the confines of the city he’d learnt a little about things there.

“It’s that exact order in Nyka that prompted my training with a bow.” Alex spoke a little wistfully like he wanted to go back to a time before all this, but this was now his reality. “And the aperture is a…strange thing indeed.” Alex gave a small sigh through a half-hearted smile. Though as Imass continued Alex’s smile faded. Alex understood the fat that the man next to him had spent a good deal of time in prison but, there was such bitterness there. Such distain for people who chose to stay neutral…

Alex took the hollowed out end of the loaf and scooped some of the broth into the bread using it as a sponge and a cup. “Nyka…Will do as they will.” Was all Alex could say before he felt eyes on him from across the room, seemingly a few of the knights didn’t take too well to his presence there. Alex then heard Imass laugh rather…heartily. Before explaining to him that “yahal” worked in mysterious ways. A fact Alex had taken to heart little over four weeks ago. Alex took his free and still relatively clean hand and slipped it into his shirt pulling out the loop of gods Icons. Watching the vast majority if not all of the broth vanish down Imass’s throat Alex picked up a few lumps of the meat and placed them into the now soggy mass of bread and broth, having drunk the excess.

Pressing the bread together he took his first bite of the newly formed soaked sandwich. Then Imass began to recount his own training under a “Ser Moustache” A good man it seemed who had seen a little too much of the world. Apparently he’d been the one who imparted this mentality of “strength above all” to Imass, who was in turn attempting to impart it to him.
“Willpower I have…Strategy I can learn, and technique I can pick up.” Alex spoke with a little more resolve in his voice now having been steeled a little by Imass’ words. He didn’t want to pick up the brutal nature that Imass held but he couldn’t help but admire his spirit and conviction to Yahal.

“I seek no reverence for what I do…I seek only the knowledge that I served to protect people.” Alex then took a moment to finish of the remainder of the meal in his hands before speaking. And offering a small jest. “I would Ser. But it appears you’ve consumed everything else.” A small laugh followed, he meant no harm by his words but intended to as much as he couldn’t help but thing of Imass as a brute in some regards, but in others he was a man who’d been shoved down a path. One which Alex couldn’t follow, due to his own beliefs.

Alexander Faircroft

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Vigilant's Lament II

Postby Imass on March 15th, 2016, 12:10 am

Imass' yellow eyes gazed the hall full of Knights. Wandering eyes and scoffing voices filled the room, momentarily directed towards Faircroft. The Akalak wiped his mouth with his sleeve, his mind registering subconsciously what the Squire was saying.

"You have much to learn, Squire, but I admire your outlook," Imass said absent minded to Alex while his focus was on those Knight around him who disapproved of the Squire.

Suddenly, the Akalak stood to his feet. His large scarred hands flat on the table. A piercing gaze scanned the entire area. No one said a word. The Knight frothed silently in disdain.

He is my squire for now. We can take this outside the walls, if you want.

"It is time for us to go," Imass barked to Faircroft while he picked up his dagger. Marching noisily down the hallway, the Knight swung the door open of the Barracks with much force.

Outside he turned to Alex again, completely changing the tone of the proceedings "As long as you are under my supervision, there will be a whole new set of rules to follow. Rule number one: there are no short cuts on the battle field, Squire! From now on your are no longer allowed to walk through the city ever again to get where you need to go. If you need to go anywhere, you will climb the stairs to the rampart and travel the long way around. If that was not clear enough for you, let, me, explain... If I send you on errand to the Main gates from here, you cannot cut through the city. No you will climb the rampart and RUN all the way around. You will do this wherever you go in Syliras. If I catch you messing up, I will beat you,"

Taking a deep breath Imass stared him down, "Is that understood pretty boy?"
Imass

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Vigilant's Lament II

Postby Alexander Faircroft on March 15th, 2016, 12:35 am

Like a coin flipping through the air, Alex had learnt that Imass could turn on a miza. One moment he was a lighter soul, the next he was much, much stricter. Alex exhaled slowly hearing about having much to learn. Imass wasn’t wrong there at least in a practical sense, but on a moral standing Alex felt he’d learnt enough. As Alex thought he was getting somewhere he heard a heavy slam into the table next to him. Imass had stood bolt upright scanning the crowd. Apparently it was time to leave.

Alex followed shortly behind, and with Imass’ back turned a few sharp glances flew Alex’s way. He could feel each one digging into him like a dagger, and knew they would only get worse if people found out his origins. Though what greeted him just outside was not quite what he expected. Alex sighed hearing that he was no longer granted the ability to cut through the city, but had to climb the ramparts and trace all around the battlements to get where he needed to go. That would make things inconvenient.

Feeling Imass attempting to use the mere three inches between them to loom over him Alex had to admit it still held some weight. Some gravitas too it. Alex calmed his mind a little but still instinctually took a half step back.
“Yes, Ser” Alex spoke again in his even voice, attempting to hold himself together, focusing trying to shrug off the intent that was washing over him the feeling of oppression. “Ser. If this is effect at all times, it may hamper my ability to attend important meetings. May I request a special rule that if there is a meeting of import that I be allowed to use the shortest route too it. But only too it to prevent a mark on your name through my actions?” Alex asked primarily as a means of gauging just how far he could test Imass’ leniency.

Alexander Faircroft

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Vigilant's Lament II

Postby Imass on March 15th, 2016, 1:23 am

"No excuses, Squire. You must anticipate your enemy in battle. And as such, you will have to anticipate your meetings and duties with enough time to run around the ramparts. You will run everywhere you go and you will arrive valiantly. Some people will not respect you for such action, but you will ignore them. And remember. Always. Keep your form and technique,"

Imass took a deep breath, then paused, "It is time for the next thing on our list of duties, follow me,"

Taking off at a brisk pace, Imass ran up the stairs to the ramparts again, using the stair climbing technique as before. He expected Alex to do the same. Imass would not tell them where they were going.
Imass

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Vigilant's Lament II

Postby Alexander Faircroft on March 15th, 2016, 1:45 am

Of course he wouldn’t be granted the ability to do so in an emergency. Still it hadn’t hurt to ask and it had gained him the valuable information and confirmation on something else he suspected. And that was the fact that Imass didn’t give ANY leeway with anything. Alex supposed he should have grasped that when he was thrown down the stairs. Alex had already begun lamenting the fact he’d have to run everywhere in full plate mail for at least the next thirty days. After all Imass had only said he needed to go everywhere via the ramparts for the rest of spring.

“Yes. Ser.” Alex spoke again with a soft tiredness creeping into his voice, and he was now vehemently understanding exactly how Archie felt with Ser Iros. The constant push towards training. Alex followed after Imass trailing after him up the stairs. Giving Imass a brief head start to see how he wanted him to ascend. It was the same technique from earlier. Having learnt that not following that technique exactly meant his down fall eh chased up after Imass with the same form.

Though one thing still plagued his mind and laid a small bit of dread into his thoughts. What exactly was the next thing on the list of futies? What exactly did Imass want from him to do? Greyheart had never really given him any direct duties outside of small easy missions or simple training tasks with other knights and squires. Then and again sending him off to the archives for some self-studying which had lead to him meeting, two of the trio of the pycon squad that seemed to have a lot of import. Even amongst the squires. Alex finally reached the peak of the stairs, and looked out over the battlements. A swathing green expanse to tone side, and a vast blue to the other. Alex didn’t care too much he just wanted one thing. To sleep.

Alexander Faircroft

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Vigilant's Lament II

Postby Emergence on August 19th, 2016, 3:30 am

"Your Grades... have Arrived!"

Character 1Experience
Skill XP Earned
Endurance +3
Running +1
Socialization +3
Observation +1
Rhetoric +2

Lores
Lore Earned
Order Squire: Heart of Sylir
Endurance: Repetition is Practice
Order Squire: Training Everyday
Bread Gives Life
Syliras: Nothing is Wasted
Imass: Former Prisoner
Imass: Two Sides of a Coin
Order Squires: Must Run Along the Ramparts

Shield Points
Training +4

Additional Comments :
Fantastic thread!! I really enjoyed this, I feel you two captured the daily life of a Squire very well. Its not all fun and games and riding horses. It's hard work!

Imass, your graded have been withheld because you are not active. If you come back, I'd be happy to award you your earnings!Just PM me!

Alex, I could not find anywhere in your CS a mention of your Patron. I am still not sure who it is, is Imass your patron? Please put this somewhere in your CS.
Emergence
AS of Wind Reach

Words: 156715
Joined roleplay: August 16th, 2016, 12:49 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Previous