Completed Herbal Remedies

Training Thread

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Herbal Remedies

Postby Deliath on August 27th, 2016, 3:51 pm

Deliath Telori

~
Summer 63, 516
Smiling, Deliath skipped out of the building that hosted the shop she had just visited, a few new supplies now resting in the backpack swung over her shoulder - a spool of thread, a quill, a vial of black ink, and 5 sheets of parchment for her to write one when she got to her destination.
LedgerThread Spool - 5CM, Quill - 5 CM, Ink - 1 GM, Parchment - 5x2 - 10 SM
Total - 2GM, 1SM

The next few dizzying moments had Deliath roaming the streets of Sunberth and finally ending up in Stumble Alley, Daggerhands territory.
As nervous as she was, she was curious and desperate to find the library. Plus, she figured that since she wasn't a member of any rival gangs, she a chance at be moderately safe.

Grinning slightly, she walked carefully, looking at all of the buildings carefully, and then there it was! She was overjoyed to have found it, and she couldn't help but grin even wider.
Deliath sighed audibly as she took a step closer to the library tentatively and quietly, watching where she lay her feet in fear of angering anyone. It had taken her an age to find the place, having navigated through various streets, and having to ask locals who happened to not even know of the places existence.
Of course, not many locals did know that there was a library, as many of them had never learnt to read. Had she been born and raised here, she doubted that she would have learnt to read, but fortunately her adoptive family in Syliras had known enough to teach her to read basic language, and she'd managed to pester a few others to teach her to read more.
Now her reading comprehension wasn't the best, but she could manage to decipher the most important parts of text and fill in the gaps with her own knowledge, although sometimes, the parts she'd filled in couldn't be further from the truth!
Exhaling, then smiling, she set foot into the quiet place, nodding at the co-owner watching the place, before scanning through the shelves and looking for any books that related to plants, herbalism or medicine. She wanted to learn more, and to look up a few plants in particular, before she bought her next batch.
"Hmm... This one looks good... And this one? Maybe this one too?" she thought to herself, placing her thumb on her chin and stroking it gently, before grabbing one of the books. It was large and bound in a green material that was could have been leather or wood, although she wasn't too sure.

Holding her breath slightly, she opened the book and fingered through it, just to make sure that it was what she was wanting, being pleasantly surprised, before moving to take a seat with her quill, ink and parchment laid out in front of her, ready to jot down a few messy notes to refresh her memory later.
~
Last edited by Deliath on December 13th, 2016, 10:17 am, edited 9 times in total.
Any speech in bold is Common
"Fratava" || "Shiber"
Anything in italics are thoughts
Deliath
Read profile for details of hiatus

Words: 73363
Joined roleplay: August 26th, 2016, 3:32 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Herbal Remedies

Postby Deliath on August 29th, 2016, 10:56 pm

Deliath Telori

~
Soon she was engrossed in the book, taking notes down on a few of the plants she knew were somewhat easily attainable.
She'd known that some spices and herbs used in cooking were also had medical uses too, but the amount was what shocked her, and almost immediately she had filled up the first sheet of parchment with her practically illegible handwriting.
"Thyme, coughs an congestion, mak leaves into tea. Sage, sore throt an coughs, tea t drink or gagle." the lists went on, each section with it's own spelling mistakes, although they were barely noticeable compared to the spidery scribbles that most educated scholars would have trouble reading. "Likorice, throt and stomac, tea from roots. Elderbery, cold an fever, tea from berries."
Grinning, she looked down at watch she had wrote, making sure that she could read it as she counted at least nine different herbs she'd noted onto the parchment, before turning to a new section in the book, this one on trees.
Some of the trees she knew the medicinal properties, but others were completely new to her. She had known that oak leaves could be used for bug bites, but the bark being used to treat diarrhoea was something she hadn't heard of, and then the use of willow bark was one she had been taught a long time ago.

She was amazed that she hadn't visited the library earlier on in her time in Sunberth, knowing how hard it was to find books, especially ones that linked in with her trade! She was amazed at how much knowledge had been sat in this building, just waiting for someone to come and read them, to learn from them. She couldn't help but grin, before flipping through a few more pages.
It wasn't long before she came across a passage that she couldn't quite read, it's words being ones that she hadn't seen written before, and carefully she turned her sheet of parchment over and began to copy the writing, making sure that her writing matched it perfectly.
From what she could tell it was about a tree that's ash could be used for blisters and burns, but the exact words used in the book were making it hard for her to understand and the name of the tree was in part of a text that seemed to have been damaged by some sort of water.
"R, I, N, D, A, L? It could be the Rhinedale Tree... I know it's ash can be useful..." she thought to herself, before writing 'Rhinedale' next to what she had copied, a question mark next to it to remind her to look into it.

Then she closed the book and placed it back where she had found it, before scanning the titles of the books to try and find something to do with philtering.
"Drat, I don't have the time to search for it... Maybe next time?" she thought to herself again, before packing up her things and leaving the library, heading into the rest of Sunberth, hoping to find somewhere that sold some herb plants.
~
Last edited by Deliath on September 10th, 2016, 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Fratava" || "Shiber"
Deliath

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Herbal Remedies

Postby Deliath on August 30th, 2016, 10:57 pm

Deliath Telori

~
Grinning again, Deliath found herself in the Seaside market. It seemed the most likely place to locate anything of use to her. Of course, she found herself moving slowly as she looked around.
It wasn't long after she'd started slowly meandering through the place that she'd found a cart that she had heard of.
"Pushing up daisies? They should have something I can use!" she grinned before practically skipping over to the cart and the first thing she noticed was the young attractive woman running the cart, and she waved at the woman somewhat awkwardly.
"Excuse, I'm Deliath, and I was wondering if you had any Sage, Lavender, or Spearmint potted?" she asked, unable to wipe the smile from her face.
Well, we have the Sage and the Basil, but you've missed the time for Lavender. That's a spring plant. As for Spearmint, you've just missed it. I'd you'd have come earlier in the season we could have got you some of that." the woman replied and she grinned widely.
"Alright, well, may I buy the Sage and the Basil? Preferably a larger plant if that's okay with you?" Deliath clasped her hands in front of her.
"Of course, this one here is a three ounce Sage plant, which would cost you 3 silver Mizas, and a two ounce Basil plant which is 2 silver Mizas, so 5 silver Mizas in total. If you are interested in this, might I offer you one of my flower crowns? I have a few dried, and I can also make one to order out of fresh flowers?" the woman pointed to the Spearmint plant, before showcasing a flower crown she had made and Deliath found herself very tempted.
She thought for a few moments, before giving in and speaking.
"They are very beautiful... Would you happen to have a dried one made from bluebells? Or primroses? Or marigolds? Or anything blue or yellow?" she asked, wanting something that would match the blue silk dress she had at home.
"We have this one which would probably suit you very well! And they're well priced! Only 1 silver miza. It should last you a while too!" the woman said, picking out and holding up a crown made of dried blue and yellow flowers.
Deliath spent a few moments debating whether to splash out and treat herself, before nodding and giving in.
"Alright, alright. So that's six silver in total?" she clarified, before handing six silver Mizas to the young woman, before taking the flower crown and placing it on her head, then taking the two plants she'd bought and making her way back home.

Once she was home, she set the two plants down in the corner of her room and removed her backpack from her shoulder to place it at the foot of her bunk, before pulling the notes she'd taken down on the sheet of parchment and placing it carefully on the table, before pulling her chair nearer and carefully reading them through again, making sure that she could still fill in the gaps with her memory.
"Well, I should probably attempt to dry some of these herbs..." she thought to herself, before standing up and moving over to the corner of her apartment that help her plants, and her hands instantly went to the basil plant.

LedgerBasil Plant - 2sm, Sage plant - 3sm, dried flower crown - 1sm
Total - 6sm

~
Last edited by Deliath on September 10th, 2016, 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Fratava" || "Shiber"
Deliath

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Herbal Remedies

Postby Deliath on August 31st, 2016, 9:05 pm

Deliath Telori

~
Gently, Deliath removed the top few leaves from the basil plant, making sure that it had enough to continue growing for as long as she could keep it healthy.
Then she grabbed a spool of thread and ripped a length from it, before using that length of thread to tie the base of the leaves together, then attached the end of the thread to the ceiling through a fairly poor quality beam that was exposed through a slight hole in the ceiling, with plenty of splinters hanging down that were just strong enough to hold her herbs as they dried out.
She estimated that once they dried there would be about half an ounce of leaves, and she could tell that this would be arduous process, especially as each batch of herbs could take up to a week to dry, before she'd have to seal it away into a container.
Of course, there was plenty to keep her busy, and she could still utilise the fresh herbs while she was waiting, and possibly learn some philtering techniques, and maybe find some roots or fungi that she could craft into a poison to sell. After all, poisons raised quite a handsome sum compared to herbal remedies.
Frowning briefly at how much she still had left to learn, she pulled her chair to the table and began reading her notes, especially the ones she'd taken on Basil, before reading them out loud.
"Basil, herb. Commonly found. Leaves and extracted oil usable. For stomach calming (pinch dried or few fresh leaves added to water then drank), coughing and colds (fresh leaves chewed), headaches (punch dried leaves, pot of boiling water. Head over bowl and steam face.), stings and bites (chew leaves, apply to affected area.), and ear infection... Wait, that's the oil..." Del read aloud, before thinking for a moment. "There's some things I can do right off the bat, if anybody needs my help..." she mumbled, before walking over to the Sage plant and tenderly touching it's leaves.
"I'll dry a bit of you two, my dear!" she smiled, before carefully removing a small handful of leaves and tying them together in the same manner she had done with the basil, before tying them to the same poor quality beam, just as far from the basil as possible, to allow an easier way to distinguish between the two later. "And let's just see what I can use you for, my dear sage."
She smiled as she spoke to the plant, before checking through her notes again to see that she had left off the sage and she began to frown. "Well, I'll have to go back to the library again tomorrow!"

Sighing, Deliath pulled off her shoes and removed most of her clothes, moving to lie on her bunk in order to get some rest.
She knew that tomorrow she'd be out of the house again, studying in the library and buying more plants.
~
"Fratava" || "Shiber"
Deliath

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Herbal Remedies

Postby Konrad Venger on September 23rd, 2016, 11:31 pm

Deliath

XP:
Shopping - 1
Observation - 2
Writing - 2
Herbalism - 2
Socialization - 1

Lore:
Sunberth Location: Stumble Alley
Thyme: Coughs and Congestion, Make Leaves into Tea.
Sage: Sore throat and coughs, tea drink or gagle.
Licorice: Throat and Stomach, tea from Roots.
Elderbery: Cold and Fever, tea from berries.
Copying from a Book, Spelling Mistakes and All
Herbalism: Availability depends on the Season
Drying out Leaves on a Line
The Uses For and Preparation Of Basil

Click Me! :
I rather enjoyed this, even if your narrative was a little rushed at times. But you had a solid core concept and you didn't skip important steps... nor did you skip the EXPENSE, either. Deduct all that from your Ledger, I look forward to see where these herbs end up. ;)

Oh, and please make sure you go back and edit your post in the Request Thread to reflect the fact this one is now done and dusted. PM me with any questions and later 'tater!

||Common||Thoughts||Pavi||Fratava||Myrian||Other's Speaking||
Note: As of Fall 517AV, Konrad is known only as "Hansel" in Endrykas
Konrad Venger
Long is The Way and Hard

Words: 1060755
Joined roleplay: November 23rd, 2015, 4:05 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 4