Solo [Job Thread] Drunken Waters

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

[Job Thread] Drunken Waters

Postby Ascen on September 2nd, 2016, 12:52 am

Timestamp: Fall 9th, 516 AV

The air in this wonderful cafe was a bit intense with tears of sorrow dripping from some of the customers’ cheeks. Others tend to turn their sorrows into fits of rage or just a quiet man while drowning themselves in beer. It was a hard time for Sunberth; for everyone was feeling the same way as these drunks. Well, perhaps not everyone as there might some such as visitors or residents who have just moved into this city. But still the air stuck to everyone’s mind like a plague that drains everyone’s joy to fuel the emotions of sorrow.

Ascen was sitting by himself at one of the vacant tables while observing the atmosphere. To be frank it felt like the emotions building up in this room was sticking to his clothes. Even the faint whispers at the back of his mind was telling Ascen that he should embrace it. However another source that’s more of his line of duty walls off such temptations from his mind. More or less his line of duty resides in the fact that he needs to deliver a particular letter to a man at the docks and Ascen can’t afford something to distract him. The only problem currently is having to wait until the seventeenth bell is when Ascen has to be at the docks.

With the time being at the thirty seventh chime of the thirteenth bell there’s almost a lot of time for Ascen to use. Back over at Aqualior Hot Springs Ascen caught word of the Simpering Seacow and of how their tattoo artist gives some really nice art on the body. Additionally, Ascen was also curious about trying the Sunberth Shanty which he did indeed purchased from one of the waitresses. To be frank Ascen has been getting a lot of distrustful looks from the other customers despite their grief, but for what cause their grief is unknown to Ascen. Still he blankly ignores them as his linen shirt snug lightly on his body while picking up the cup of Sunberth Shanty and takes a gulp of it.

The sweet honey flavored of rum fills his mouth with a light kick behind the rum. Additionally he could pick on the light hint of lime that seems to be enhancing the honey flavors. To be honest this was more of a treat than a drink to Ascen, but that’s just his personal opinion that he likes to keep to himself. To be frank he can see why the letter would be better delivered on this day as with the city grieving for whatever reason it would a bit easier to move around the city without much trouble on Ascen’s part. Mostly because he doesn’t feel like dealing with another mugging attempt from the Daggerhands or even the locals themselves. However nothing much has really changed in Ascen’s eyes other than what has occurred with Daggerhands and the fact that the Night Eyes seem to have the upperhand on the city in general.

“What’s ye business here maggot?!” One of the drunken men was practically shouting at Ascen. His dull amber eyes looked away from his cup to the one who was speaking to him before raising his cup in response. “Drink.” However the man seemed confused as this guy actually smelled pretty bad. Bad as in this guy smells like he hasn’t bathe or might have slept in a horse’s stable recently. “Drinkz what? Yer piss?” A couple of other drinking buddies seemed to be chuckling on the guy’s comment. Ascen looked at his glass for moment before raising his brow. “Well if i am drinking my piss then that would make me pissing rum. That would be interesting to be honest.”

Ascen’s remark didn’t seem to bold well with the customers as Ascen wasn’t suppose to make light of their terrible choice of insults. Still he took another gulp of his Shanty while the others were almost fuming with their anger boiling up. “Relax. I’m not here to start anything.” The guy who was insulting Ascen earlier was about to get up from his seat, but the other two drinking buddies grabbed the guy and forced him back down. “Easy Rikk. We don’t need to cause trouble in these parts.” The drunken guy looked at his partner and merely grumbles before turning his attention to his beer. So that was one encounter that Ascen has managed to avoid, even though he did say that he was just here for a drink. Then again this isn’t the first encounter Ascen has to deal with and actually was one of the few that has been avoided.
Last edited by Ascen on September 6th, 2016, 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Secret :
Ascen Reputation Points Faction Title
Citizens 0
Daggerhands -11 Annoyance
Night Eyes +7 Stranger
Vigilantes 0
The Quarter 0
Slavers 0
Sun's Birth 0
Ascen
Player

Words: 121082
Joined roleplay: August 1st, 2016, 10:59 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ascen on September 3rd, 2016, 2:10 am

OOC InfoPaid 6 SM for the Sunberth Shanty

Honestly, Ascen feels like there’s a target on his back for even being in this cafe. It wasn’t just from the drunks that is drowning in their sorrows and anger either. More like even the lingering darkness at the corners had eyes of it’s own that sends a small chill down Ascen’s spine. Ascen pondered on whether he should trust his instinct that he’s being watched, but after a moment has passed Ascen brushed it away and proceeded to finish his drink with one more gulp. Then he sets the cup down lightly facing upside down which was normally a sign to the bartenders that he’s done. At least, that’s the kind of bars he’s used to and seems to be forgetting that it’s a cafe.

Once the waitress came around with her wooden tray secured in her grip she spoke in a cheerful manner. “Would you like another sir?” Ascen however merely shook his head as his eyes looked down to the side. The mere notion of being paranoid that she might try to take his coin purse puts him somewhat on edge. Seeing as how her hands was out in front of her, Ascen responded in a more casual and confident tone. “No thank you. That’ll be it for me.” On that note Ascen reached in his pocket to fish the one gold miza he had previously placed just to put a limit on himself while keeping his coin purse elsewhere. Ascen would hand the gold miza over to the waitress who for a brief moment looked a bit surprised that it was a gold miza. Nevertheless the waitress took the miza and had a smile on her face that spoke of greed.

A particular greed that when she went off to get the change the waitress came back and handed him four silver mizas as change. Ascen was no fool as he knows how much he should be getting back, however he also knows the state this city is in. Frowning slightly at the four mizas, Ascen took the change and placed them in his pouch. With the spiked leather strap wrapped around his knuckles, it would seem that they’re just for show. However the hands and the elbows are noticeably hardened and scarred as if they were being frequently used at a certain period of his life time.

Ascen would get up from his seat and for a moment Ascen could see a sudden flare of fear in the girl’s eyes when he got up. However Ascen would proceed to make his exit of the cafe, and a wave of relief washed over the woman’s young face. Normally Ascen would have demand for the rest of his change, but he felt that the extra money would help the business overall and also earn some likeness with the cafe. It might not be much and it might not even work on Ascen’s behalf; but it’s something of a chance to earn someone’s good graces around here. Now, after looking up at the sky to see the sun about three quarters away from reaching dusk, Ascen felt like he should go ahead and begin making his way over to the docks in Baroque Bay. So his feet began walking down the almost barren if not a bit lively with some groups of figures huddled near the buildings. Of course Ascen doesn’t pay much attention to them except with a careful glance at them to make sure they weren’t secretly thugs in disguise trying to get the jump on an unexpected traveler such as himself. Luckily that wasn’t the case as Ascen passed them, but still he doesn’t plan on letting down his guard either especially in this city.
Secret :
Citizens 0
Night Eyes +7 Stranger
Vigilantes 0
The Quarter 0
Slavers 0
Sun's Birth 0
Ascen
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ascen on September 4th, 2016, 5:11 am

Walking down the streets was the easy part for all he had to do was make a turn to the right and keep on going south until he reached one of the main roads that crosses over the stream. Avoiding unwanted attention however was something that proved a tad bit difficult especially when Ascen was nearing the Robern’s Reaches territory. Hence the Daggerhands home turf, and probably the most likely group to try to mug Ascen. During the little time spent in this town in a recent time frame Ascen has picked up on the fact that there’s a bit of a distortion amongst the Daggerhand ranks. So he’s only vaguely aware of what’s going on in the area at least, which caused him to be more uneasy about being near Robern’s Reaches.

Did his attempts of evading attention bore any fruit? Unfortunately there was a group of four Daggerhands that was discussing something in low voices and drinking booze to quench their thirst. Which one of them who was a baldie man wearing a rough looking leather vest with a pair of baggy trousers stained with dirt and probably spills of his booze. Seeing the crude knives and even batons that are just wooden clubs to be honest was enough to send Ascen a clear warning that these guys have the potential of trying to mug him. Squinting his eyes slightly, Ascen couldn’t find any other way to get around them for even if Ascen took a detour to the back roads it would just end up in their sights.

Without much luck on Ascen’s side, the baldie drunk spots the traveling man and almost immediately the whole group turned their heads over to Ascen’s direction with a menacing grin on their faces. “It’s getting a bit late to be walking around by yourself. Why don’t we uh… check to make sure you’re not carrying anything dangerous.” The bald one barked at Ascen’s direction who stopped his advance who was also staring down at the Daggerhands in general. Unfortunately Ascen has not much time to develop an intimidating presence nor has he had the time to develop an intimidating reputation either.

In any case a couple of them responded to Ascen’s silent stare with sneers and frowns of their own while brandishing their wooden batons as an attempt of creating their own demonstrative weapon prowess. However Ascen’s expression remained unchanged and unwavering as the group began to make their way over to Ascen’s direction. Practically cutting him off from going any further to the main road. Ascen’s mind was highly anticipation that they were going to take everything he had on him, but he tried to put the threat on a low levels. “I’m afraid that i am in a hurry right now. If you have business with me then we can discuss it at a later date.” Ascen assumed a more professional if not civilized role in the conversation as he was trying to get out of this situation without having to resort to violence.

Did they listen though? Obviously not as the bald male simply shook his head and gripped his crude conditioned knife in his hand. “Nay, we can’t have that now can we boys? Our pickings hasn’t been very fruitful here lately, and so far you look like a wealthy man. How about paying us all of your mizas and we’ll gladly look the other way.” Ascen can’t help but sigh as he can’t believe that he has to deal with a more direct confrontation of taking his wealth. Just for the sake of impatience and eager to get to his spot on time Ascen reached into his pouch and pulls out a single silver miza only to toss it towards the bald guy. “This was all i had left. If you want anymore i’m afraid you’ll have to look for someone else.”

The leader of the group catches the silver miza with his free hand almost in a clumsy manner as Ascen was talking to them. There was a look of disappointment in the guy’s eyes, but a more eager and menacing gleam can be seen in the other three’s eyes. “This won’t do at all. Now we’ll be stripping you as contribution to the Daggerhands. Boys, he’s all yours.” Upon that note, the two with the batons charge up at Ascen with their batons raised above their heads. Ascen would have enough time to sigh again while half clenching his fists like he’s holding cups before he counters against a thug on the right with a good punch in the lower abdomen. With the fist vibrating just before contact, it had more of an impact as that guy almost immediately doubled over. Meanwhile the guy on the left side goes to swing his baton in a downward arc, however Ascen was already following up by raising his left forearm in order to block by making the guy’s own forearm smack very short.

Having both of his attackers stopped briefly, Ascen delivers a short and swift knee to the guy on the left’s gut which also caused that one to double over. In short Ascen is not trying to kill them, and is just causing enough pain to make hopefully make them back down. Unfortunately the guy on the right attempted to swing his baton in a vertical arc from a low position, but Ascen had already took a glance at him and only needed to see the arm beginning to move like the beginning of an arc. Allowing Ascen to actually catch the baton with his right hand even though it did sting a bit before Ascen followed up with a good punch to the male’s face with the steel piece of the knuckle cutting some flesh. It was good enough to make the guy let go of the baton and cover his face while rolling over on the ground.

The bald one with the silver miza was starting to look a bit worried as he practically shoved the third member with a knife into the fray. “Get him! Kill him if you have to!” He barked once again as the remaining member wielding a baton recovers from Ascen’s blow and attempts another downward swing of the baton at Ascen’s back. Which actually did strike Ascen’s back with a dull thud that made Ascen wince and almost forced down to one knee. Ascen turned his head over to the guy who just smacked him with a burning glare of anger swelling up in Ascen’s eyes. The guy with the baton tried to back up a bit from Ascen, but Ascen was already turning his body with his leg extended to deliver a nasty blow to the guy’s knee cap which was enough to cause the guy’s leg to bend backwards that it wasn’t supposed to do. In essence Ascen just dislocated the guy’s knee joint and the guy yells in agony before falling to the ground while Ascen followed up by throwing the baton in his hand at the knife guy who was charging up to him. Only that the guy got a sweet kiss to the face with a gnarled wooden stick that caused him to stagger down to his knees while holding onto his jaw.

Then Ascen looked over at the only one standing with a very angry look on his face as the bald Daggerhand almost yelped from the glare. Bald even tried to back up as Ascen simply walked in a fast pace manner. Out of desperation and fear that was crawling up the guy’s heart; Bald tried to do a poor attempt to stab Ascen on the chest. However Ascen quickly swatted the guy’s knife hand away which accidentally sent the knife flying out of Bald’s hand whose small blade didn’t even pierce into the dirt. Ascen grabbed Bald’s leather vest and kept pushing Bald over to the side until Ascen slammed Bald against a stone wall. “Next time it won’t be just some cuts and a dislocated joint. Next time it’ll be you dead in the streets if you so much as try to con me out of my money!” Ascen told him in a loud tone filled with the emotion of anger before he snatched away the silver miza from Bald’s hand.

Hoping that’ll send a clear message to their thick skulls, Ascen backs off from Bald and dusts himself before resuming back onto his path to the docks. His cheeks red with fury, Ascen walked off and tried his best to smolder the burning flames of rage in his heart. However for some reason there was another emotion of joy for the thrill of combat as well. Which Ascen cannot deny that he does actually enjoy fighting, but he also wished to avoid fights unless his line of work calls for it. Mostly because fighting can be very time consuming depending on the situation and amongst other stuff.

Brushing those thoughts aside, he puts the single silver miza back into his pouch as he continues down the main road. Heading towards Baroque Bay, it doesn’t take him much longer before he arrives at his designation. Now to look for a man named Nathan Biles, a human with auburn short hair and has a scruffy beard as well. At least that was the description Ascen had gathered after he took this job. Ascen waited and searched for almost half a bell before finding a human male that matched the description yet looked like a merchant of sorts. Garbed in simple yet poorly maintained shirt with a pair of linen pants stained with dirt was the human male searching for something along the docks.

Not like Ascen was hiding anyways, but since Ascen was one of the few that’s actually present at the docks with the sun setting pretty low to almost nightfall. The human spots Ascen and proceeds to walk on the wooden platforms towards Ascen’s direction with a bright smile on his face. This guy was definitely not a resident here in this city for despite his clothing the guy is still pretty cleaned up and groomed too. Probably an outsider trying to fit in, but at any rate Ascen followed the human with his eyes. When the guy got about ten meters close to him, Ascen stood up on his feet as he was sitting down on the edge with his legs dangling over. “Are you the one i’m supposed to talk to?” The guy asked Ascen in quite a blunt manner, but Ascen simply shrugged his shoulders while dusting his hands off on his pants. “Depends on who you’re supposed to be looking for. Although if you’re looking for someone to take you on a trip to the seas, you’d best try in the morrow.” Ascen kindly suggested as he was trying to find a more soothing outlet while also trying to determine whether this is actually the correct guy.

The well kept guy raised his brow before looking over his shoulder and started to scratch his chin. “Well, i would hope not considering that who i’m looking for is actually supposed to deliver me some goods. I was told he would be here roughly at this time, but i don’t see him around here.” Ascen was lining the pieces up of the timing, the accurate description, and the fact that this guy is also looking for someone as well. “He’ll probably show up, but my name is Ascen. And you are…?”

“Nathan, Nathan Biles. It’s certainly refreshing to finally meet someone who isn’t trying to steal my wares or my mizas. Not like the kind of worries over at Syliras where you’d have to make sure you have enough to keep your shop opened.” Ascen was relieved that this was going way smoother than it did earlier as he reached into his pouch and pulls out a folded piece of parchment only to hand it to Nathan. “Aye, which by the way someone gave me this and told me to find you. I’m guessing it’s an old friend of yours something, but here you go.” Ascen played it off that he has no clue what that parchment contained nor was it for. Nathan almost eagerly took it from Ascen’s hand and read the contents before smiling brightly once more. “Ah yes, i was wondering when that old coot would inform of this. Thank you so much for bringing this to me, but i really must go find my contact before he makes off with my wares. See you later.”

Just like that, Nathan walks off as he continued to search around the docks with the parchment tucked in his pocket. Meanwhile Ascen smiles a bit before he walks once again from the docks over to the main road once again heading south. Crossing over the bridge as he heads over to the No-Man’s Land Tavern which honestly was only a short walk. Seeing as how he was supposed to report back to Carston anyways that the job was done, Ascen also wanted to get a drink as well for he could feel his throat getting dry from all of the walking around. Upon entering the humbly tavern Ascen was greeted by the usual dim lighting and the low murmurs of other people either looking into the J.B. or actually having a drink or two. Ascen could feel the mark on his back left by that baton as it was starting to ache. Which signaled to his mind that was going to be a bruise by the morning, but he suspects that nothing else was to come of it.

Ascen only had to look around for a moment before spotting the muscular man sitting at the counter talking with a couple of other travelers. Amongst the travelers was two Daggerhands, and for a moment Ascen felt a bit alert as he was certain that word had spread already of what transpired earlier. However Carston looked over at Ascen and simply waved him over as the others at the counter raised their glass to him before downing the shots. So for now Ascen was safe from the Daggerhands, and he walked up to the counter to sit beside Carston. “You look like your job went well.” Carston spoke to Ascen with a friendly atmosphere about him. Ascen nodded his head in agreement before ordering a mug of ale and paying them a single silver miza to get six copper mizas back. “Yeah more or less. The job itself was fine, but i somewhat ran into difficulty getting there.”

“So i’ve noticed judging from the new blood on your knuckles. Did you send them packing?” Carston asked as the others at the counter was almost leaning over trying to get a better view at Ascen’s face since he’s technically hiding behind Carston and Carston is a big guy anyways. “Probably wouldn’t be here if i didn’t.” Ascen responded that actually made Carston laugh despite that there was no humor in Ascen’s voice. “That i can believe. Well have yourself a drink and cool off.” Then Carston looked over to the rest and picked back up on their conversation. How long would it be before Ascen would be targeted by the Daggerhands? He doesn’t really know, and currently Ascen can’t help but feel vulnerable as well. In truth Ascen wish that this would be the end that he has to fend off some muggers even if it was from the Daggerhands, but something else tells him that this is most likely just the beginning.

OOC InfoPaid Ale, Mug: 2SM
Secret :
Citizens 0
Night Eyes +7 Stranger
Vigilantes 0
The Quarter 0
Slavers 0
Sun's Birth 0
Ascen
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Anarkhos on September 9th, 2016, 11:12 pm

Pc Name: Ascen

Skills: Unarmed Combat-2
Observation-3
Intimidation-1

Lore: The gift of charity
Night Eyes: Gaining Attention
Daggerhands: Any excuse to mug you
No Man's Land: A safe place indeed.

Rewards and Reputation Points 10 gold rimmed miza
Night Eyes- +7rp
Daggerhands: -11rp

This thread was a really good read. It was like getting a look behind the scenes of Sunberth instead of it's normal everyday violence. One thing that did raise an eyebrow though was during your combat. Try not to play at a skill higher than the one you're currently at. Yes, even at competent one can defeat most under-skilled pc's and npcs, but lets not get too crazy with what we are able to actually do at a competent skill level. Just a small tip. Other than that, good job. Please be sure to update your reputation tracker so that everyone can keep up. Please and Thanks.
Anarkhos
Retired Staff

Words: 78115
Joined roleplay: April 19th, 2016, 11:48 am
Race: Staff account
Office