Solo [Antinious Training Grounds] Bang, Bang, You Fall Down.

One win doesn't make you Grandmaster, but it's a start.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[Antinious Training Grounds] Bang, Bang, You Fall Down.

Postby Erick Barnett on May 3rd, 2016, 11:42 am

1st of Spring, 516AV
Stormhold Citadel, Dyres District, First Tier
Time of Day

Not for the first time, Erick found himself staring up at his patron from his back, pain ebbing up and down his body. One thing that being a squire had taught Erick was the value of a high pain threshold, particularly if one was toiling under the tutelage of Eliza Goldmane.

“You know, I’m fairly certain that I’ve seen Yukmen take to combat quicker than you, boy.”

As it often was, the tone Sera Goldmane took was neither malicious or particularly sarcastic. She spoke in monotone, the Knight-Sergeant’s face deadpan as she took a step back, waiting patiently as Erick struggled to his feet.

“Seen a lot of Yukmen, have you?” The young man spoke between labored breaths as he squared back up with his patron, bringing his shield and sword up as he did his best to mirror her stance, feet wide and knees bent. In particular, the Sera had drilled into him the importance of proper posture in a fight - back straight and shoulders level with the hips. “And I’m not a boy anymore.”

“You’re a boy,” Eliza began before taking a bounding step toward Erick, batting straight thrust from the wooden long sword he wielded away with her shield, and in the same movement using the shield to knock the squire straight onto his back yet again. “Until you’ve earned your first sword.”

She was referring to the rank pins true knights wore, of which Eliza Goldmane herself proudly wore two. The point of her practice blade hovered over the nape of Erick’s neck for a moment, before she relented, taking a step back once more to allow him to stand up.

It was not without some effort, given the sheer weight of the steel that clung to his body, but he got back to his feet once more. Each time he had stood, the armor had felt heavier than the last time, and he gotten knocked down quite a few times today already. It felt as if small fires burned under his skin, and it was with a grunt that he managed to pull his arms back up, getting back into a ready stance.

The Knight shook her head. “You need to get your shield up. It doesn’t do any good scraping against the damn ground.”

Nodding, Erick managed to nudge his left arm up by a small amount, and the two armored figures began to encircle one another in slow, careful steps. He knew he had to keep moving at all times - sparring with his patron in the past had proven that if his feet stopped moving even a moment, she would make him pay for it. A moving target was harder to hit, after all. Erick tried to keep that in mind even as each movement he took pained the involved areas of his body.

The first clash came quickly - the sharp packing noise echoing across the small training arena as the polished wooden surfaces of their training weapons connected. Erick pivoted his body to the side as he parried the blow, before swinging wildly back to the opposite side. With a flick of her wrist the blow glanced off Eliza’s shield, and Erick stumbled forward with the momentum, narrowly managing to bring his shield up in time to absorb a quick, vicious chain of quick straight cuts, banging against his shield like a gong. He was already reeling from the force of his missed swing, and after several blows to his shield, he once again fell to the ground, this time face-first.
Erick Barnett
Unshackled, Undimmed, Unyielding

Words: 103527
Joined roleplay: March 2nd, 2016, 3:03 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Erick Barnett on May 3rd, 2016, 11:44 am

“On your feet, boy.”

As Erick lay there, every single inch of his flesh shouted at him to stay down. The armor seemed just too heavy to let him move. His sword felt like a bar of pure lead in his hand, to match the ones that had replaced his bones. As he pushed himself up, he hesitated a moment on his hands and knees, sweat rolling off his beat red face and onto the ground. C’mon… Don’t give out on me now. With one long final groan, he was back to his feet once again, wincing with the effort.

His practice blade fell from his hand as Eliza threw a waterskin at him. “Drink.” As he brought the skin up to his mouth and began to gulp it down greedily, the Sergeant-Knight continued on speaking. “Your strikes are too wild. You need to be more conservative with your energy. Especially against an opponent with a shield.”

Having quaffed his fill, he tossed the skin back to Eliza, taking a moment to try and catch his breath before speaking. “I thought I needed the extra power, to break through your guard.”

An eyebrow arched up over her right eye. “You realize that’s a wooden longsword you’ve got there, right? Not a petching warhammer.”

Erick nodded slowly. “Alright… So how do I get around a shield?”

“See how the surface of the shield curves, just ever so slightly?”

Glancing at the steel heater his left arm was strapped into for a moment, he gave his patron a nod.

“It’s designed that way primarily so attacks will always connect at an angle and just, bounce off.” She was pacing slightly as she spoke, lifting her own shield arm to add emphasis as she did. “When that happens, all that tremendous strength you put into the swing all just goes straight into the ground, and as you’ve been discovering, you along with it.”

The squire nodded at this.

“Trick with getting around a shield is to keep it nimble. Lot’s of quick strikes wherever their shield looks like it’s dropping.” As a demonstration, she flipped her wrist around and took a stepping lunge toward Erick, cracking him numerous times across his armored form as she did - although each hit was minor, combined they were enough to make Erick to stumble back, trying desperately to bring his shield around in time to stop each one.

“Then BANG!” She brought the sword around and let out a roar, this time slamming it into his midriff with such force that even with his armor he felt as if the wind had been knocked from him. He fell to his knees, coughing and sputtering as Eliza adopted a neutral stance again. “They fall down. See?”

“Yeah…” Erick half-spoke, half-groaned as he stood. It wasn’t any easier than last time, but somehow it seemed to hurt less, and the young man couldn’t help but wonder if he was just becoming accustomed to the feeling. He brought his sword and shield up once again, mirroring Eliza’s own stance. “Alright. I think I got it.”

Erick Barnett

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Donor (1)

Postby Erick Barnett on May 3rd, 2016, 11:47 am

“Do you now?”

The clattering ring of clashing steel could be heard in numerous directions, as could the raised voices of other members of the Order in training nearby. At once both of them exploded with movement, practice longswords clacking and shields banging against one another. Eliza’s weapon traced lines in cascading horizontal patterns, left, then right, then left again, changing angles as she forced Erick backwards, each hit glancing off his shield.

He replied in kind, keeping his swings quick and focused. The first blow was knocked away by the edge of Eliza’s weapon, the next glancing off her shield as she charged forward into his attack.

Both combatants grunted as Erick brought his own shield forward, the metallic surfaces connecting loudly. The squire pivoted, quickly stabbing up and around her shield, the point of his wooden longsword jabbing her in the center of her breastplate.

She recoiled, but only slightly, knocking his weapon away with her own as she took a large step back, her left arm moving in a circular motion to keep her shield between her and Erick’s swings. He deftly stepped to the left, hoping to get around her shield, but she matched his movement in kind. Their weapons clashed again, the dry crack of the wood resonating across the smaller training arena they inhabited as they danced around each other in a small circle.

Erick quickly brought his left arm up, his shield deflecting a long stab from his opponent, which glanced off his shoulder pauldron, leaving her right side wide open. Flicking his wrist to spin his blade around he struck her exposed flank with his blade at several points in rapid succession.

She reeled backwards, lashing out wildly in a desperate attempt to halt his offensive momentum.

It was too late, however. With a shout he brought the longsword straight down, it’s wooden surface knocking her weapon away and in the same motion slamming into her shoulder with thunderous force, driving the knight to the ground. As she stared up at him from her back for the very first time, ever, both were silent, the only noise between them their labored breathing.

Eliza stood, very slowly, eyeing the grin that had slowly begun to creep across Erick’s face. “Alright, alright. Let’s not get carried away here. One win doesn’t exactly make you Grandmaster.” She had adopted her ready stance again, and Erick did the same.

“So how what’s my record stand at now?” Erick was smirking ever so softly as the two began to encircle each other once again. “One win, eight thousand losses?”

Eliza’s stone expression broke into a wry smile. “And it only took you seven years of trying to get that win. By the time you beat me again I’ll be too old for it to even count.”

“Oh no. I intend to beat you while you’re still in your prime, Sera.”

“Good.” Her smile faded. “I suggest you hurry up, then. Not getting any younger over here.”
Erick Barnett

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Donor (1)

Postby Erick Barnett on May 3rd, 2016, 11:50 am

Just like that the two armor-clad warriors were on each other, dancing around in a maelstrom of pivoting swipes and clattering armor. I won’t give up, Sera.

He could tell he wasn’t moving as fast as he had been earlier, when they had started. He was actually somewhat amazed that he was still on his feet at all. Each time he moved it felt like his muscles wouldn’t take another swing, another parry, another quick sidestep - but he persisted.

“You seem tired, Erick!” Her quick, straight cuts came hailing down on the squire from every direction. Each time he managed to catch it with his shield or his own weapon, but each time he was forced to take a step away as she pushed ever forward, until he eventually had his back against the halfwall that separated the smaller arena they dueled in from the rest of the training grounds.

Just one more time… If I could just do it one more time… Back against the wall, Erick had no choice but to lunge recklessly forward, leading with his shield in a pre-emptive attempt to stymie any counter-attacks from the Sergeant Knight.

Eliza dexterously stepped to the side as he charged forward, catching his shin with her foot. He lurched forward, and with a disinterested shove from his patron, Erick toppled over and slammed into the ground, gasping as the wind was knocked out of him.

“You remember what I said about those crazy sword swings?”

Erick nodded, speaking in raspy wheezes. “Yes, Sera.”

She pursed her lips. “So what did I say?”

Erick had to brace himself on the side wall to get up this time, and allowed himself the luxury of sitting on it for a moment, giving his legs a much needed respite. “Uhm… Keep it nimble?”

“Well,” taking a long healthy swig of the waterskin she passed it to Erick, who did the same as she continued. “The same general principle applies to the shield too. Shield-Bashing is a tried and true piece of any good knight's arsenal.” She banged her wooden longsword against the shieldboss. “But you need to be quick about it, just like a sword swing. In and out. Never commit a hundred percent to it, because if it fails, well...“She motioned to the ground as she trailed off. “You know.”

He knew all too well. Letting out a refreshed gasp as he finished what was left in the skin, he passed it back to her, getting back to his feet. He winced as his legs sent lines of fire up and and through his whole body, all the way to his arms as he lifted them to ready himself. Gonna be real sore tomorrow… Then, he was at least a little sore most mornings after a training session. Sera said it meant he was putting in his all, and if he wasn’t waking up in pain, he wasn’t trying hard enough.

“So, what?”
Erick Barnett

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Donor (1)

Postby Erick Barnett on May 3rd, 2016, 11:52 am

Erick blinked. “What?”

His patron shrugged. “You had enough? You look awful ragged.”

“No,” the squire responded flatly. “I’d say we have at least a bell of daylight left.”

“You sure? I don’t want you pulling something again.”

Erick’s tone was somewhat more forceful this time. “No.”

The sergeant knight let out a wistful sigh, a smile creeping onto her face despite the fact that she was shaking her head. “Alright. Let’s get to it.”

This time as Erick bounded across the small gap between him and his patron, he had a bit more spring in his step. A chime or two sitting down couldn’t completely recharge him, but at the very least he had caught his breath. He twisted his arm outward from his core as their blades collided, spinning around and swinging at her with his shield.

Eliza caught his heater with her own. She’s always just a little quicker than me.

Snarling reflexively, the squire took a lunging step - but directed it to her right instead coming toward her, pivoting to strike at her swordarm. There was another dry snap! as Eliza swatted the attack away, and then in the same horizontal arc swung at Erick.

He ducked under the blow, and took a step back as he stood up. She followed with a stabbing lunge as he regained his footing. With the flat side of the longsword he pushed her away, and she only managed to score a glancing hit off his left shoulder pauldron. He stepped in and very quickly battered against her chestplate with his shield, before she could pull her weapon back to guard her core.

“Oof!” Rather than collapsing, however, the Sergeant Knight responded with her elbow, driving it down into the top of Erick’s head. As he pulled away, scrambling to get his shield back up, she hammered him square in the face with her gauntlet.

This forced him to recoil, and he took several haphazard steps backward, his sword and shield barely staying up as he did. Petching hai, I am going to beat you one more time today,this I swear!

“You look frustrated!” With Erick standing still now, arms trembling as he tried to keep them up, Eliza slowly encircled him, letting her sword and shield hang casually at her sides. “Maybe you need another break, huh? Would you like that, boy?”

There was an intentional hint of venom in that last word, and it echoed in Erick’s head just a moment. Boy. His jaw was clenched as it played on repeat in his brain, but not only in his Sera’s voice. Every other Knight. Even other Squires. For seven years it had been nothing but Lad. and Kid and Boy. His eyes narrowed. But not for long.

The squire let out a roar, his golden hair falling around his face in sweat-matted tufts as he crossed the distance between them in a single bounding step. As she had before, she quickly jumped aside, leaving a foot out for him to trip over.
Erick Barnett

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Donor (1)

Postby Erick Barnett on May 3rd, 2016, 11:54 am

But Erick had been anticipating her movement, and this time dexterously stepped over her leg, momentarily bringing his right hand in very close to his core before jabbing the sword forward as she crossed to his left. She swiped his attack away with the lip of her shield, and was already moving to counter with a jab of her own.

Both fighters lurched as the squire cut her off, slamming his forehead downward into hers. As they recoiled, they both dropped their swords, clutching at their faces.

“Oi!” Eliza pulled her hand away, shaking her head. “The hell was that?”

Erick smiled apologetically. “Apologies, Sera. I got a tad… Overzealous.”

“No, that…”She sighed. “Was actually a smart move.I did almost have you, but… Just promise me you won't do that if you’re ever dueling another Knight, alright?”

Erick nodded, leaning over to brace himself on his knees as he struggled for each breath he took. “Yeah. You got it.”

“Good. Good. “ Eliza was still rubbing her face, wincing. “You know, actually, I think that’s enough for today. You’re already going to be plenty sore come tomorrow. Any more and you might not be fit for our patrol. “

“Right. And I’m looking forward to that, I am.”

This elicited a short chuckle from the sergeant knight as she unstrapped the shield from her arm. “Yahal frowns on liars, you know.”

It was Erick’s turn to chuckle. “Let him frown, then. Not like I’ll be doing any smiling tomorrow.”

“Can’t argue with you there.” As she turned to walk away, she lingered a moment near the exit of the small training ring, craning her neck around to spare Erick a final glance. “Oh and… I don’t think I remembered to say it before, but… Happy birthday, Erick.”

He shrugged. “Oh. Uhm, thanks.” I guess that was today, huh?

She nodded, and moments later, was gone.

He knew he needed to clear out too, before the Weaponmasters began to harass him for loitering, but he needed a moment still. He was breathing easier now, but his lungs burned with each breath, his every muscle seeming to throb to the rhythm the beating of his heart.

A chime or two later and he gathered the strength to walk away, headed back to the Squire dormitories. And there was a bounce in his step, despite how heavy his body felt. It had taken seven years of work, but he had finally gotten the better of Sera Goldmane - an actual knight - in single combat. Perhaps it had been simply luck, or a result of Eliza getting a little too confident. It didn’t matter, really. All Erick could think about was the years of trying, trying and failing, in sparring match after sparring match, to ever even manage to make Eliza break a sweat. Worrying that he would never show any real improvement and that all of this effort, all of this pain he had endured, would be for absolutely nothing.

But I knocked her down. She had been right to say that one win didn’t make him Grandmaster of the Order. At the very least, though, it meant that he wasn’t wasting time. He was getting better. And he would keep getting better, inch by bloody inch.

But for now. As he walked he was already beginning to undo the fastens that kept his platemail together, his sweat-soaked skin desperately crying out for fresh air.. I cannot wait to get out of this cage.
Erick Barnett

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Donor (1)

Postby Aladari Coolwater on September 11th, 2016, 8:57 pm

ImageGrades Ahoy!

Name: Erick Barnett

XP Award:
  • Weapon: Shield +5
  • Weapon: Sword +5
  • Endurance +2
  • Brawling +1
Lore:
  • High Pain Tolerance is a Blessing
  • Keeping Your Shield Up
  • Fighting Againt Shields: Quick Focused Attacks
  • Sera Eliza Goldmane: Steely Patron
  • Sera Goldmane: Never Breaks a Sweat
  • Shield-Bashing Technique
  • Shields: Must Move Quickly
  • Self: I Won't Be a Boy Much Longer
  • Yahal Frowns on Liars

Penalties/Rewards :
Erick will obviously be very sore the next day, and will suffer a headache from his clash with Sera Goldmane.

+ 5 shield points for training thread, + 1 for thread with patron
Total Shield Points + 6

Comments :
If you have any questions or feel I forgot anything, please contact me or Reflection via PM. And don't forget to edit your request to reflect this threads graded status.
"The sea always filled her with longing, though for what she was never sure."
- Cornelia Funke
Aladari Coolwater
Rock the boat.

Words: 267621
Joined roleplay: March 8th, 2016, 3:26 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3