Closed Words have Weight.

Alex and Garland have a discussion about things.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Words have Weight.

Postby Alexander Faircroft on September 16th, 2016, 4:56 am

60th Fall 516AV

9AM

Description "Alex Common" Alex thoughts "Myrian" "Fratava" "Others"

The day crawled from the bleak fog lined murk of night inot the low hung morning sun. The light kept at bay by the dense grey shroud which engulfed the city. In the midst of this murk and mire Alex marched himself into the vault. The large library which stored the knowledge of the entirety of Syliras. Alex grabbed three tomes from the shelves Basics of leadership, Reading the signs of trouble, and a book with no title just one that Greyheart himself had pointed out to Alex earlier in the season.

Sitting down at one of the large vacant tables off to the rear he began to dive into the book. After his incursion into Kenash Alex had come back to Syliras and this was his check in with Garland to make sure the poor sod hadn’t gotten himself killed or injured too badly with the nightmares that stalked the gloom. Alex’s own stalking of the shroud of grey had lead him into a meeting with one such abomination. Unsteady Alex’s eyes glanced over the parchment, half taking in the words on the page, and half letting his eyes can across the room.

Garland. Where the heck are you? Alex parsed to himself, he’d arranged the meeting with Sera Catherine so as to help keep Garland in the dark about the fact that Alex had returned to the city. Wanting to keep his words short and quiet Alex had had a few revelations of things whilst away from the city. He wanted a private talk with Garland about what exactly what they were doing, what exactly he was doing.

With a small worried pinch of his fingers together in front of his lips he could feel his teeth grinding lightly. He’d had an interesting eighty days, travel both ways from Syliras and a meeting with another unexpected acquaintance. With the approaching sound of heavy footfall’s Alex eased up a little. Without even looking he just spoke calmly, a small crack of a smile on his face.
“You look slower than when I last saw ya.”

Alexander Faircroft
A criminal, without a crime.

Words: 945306
Joined roleplay: January 5th, 2016, 9:21 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Words have Weight.

Postby Garland on September 16th, 2016, 5:14 am

Garland was no idiot, but he was more inclined to follow his gut instincts than actual tactics and battle strategies. Thus Sera Catherine had ordered Garland to head to the library to brush up on his tactics and skills.

"Haha, no... I'm more of a hand-on learner ma'am." Garland said and put on his armor under his regular clothes. "I'd be better leading a team in a fight rather than reading a book about that."

"Like that time you fought with Alex? Your instincts can only go so far Garland, guts can be spilled, Garl."

"And skulls can be cracked, fine, I'll go, but I won't like it." Garland sighed and walked off into the fog, heading in the direction of the library.

At least he thought he was, by the time he had reached the library he could have have been at the gates and back to the dorms. "Blasted fog! Is this the library? I can barely see."

The knight stared at Garland and looked at the armor he was wearing. "Yes it is, squire. Sign your name and go on through." Garland walked into the entry hall of the library and saw a list of names on the table, he quickly scribbled down his name, blocking a portion with his thumb. Garland noted an 'Alex' on the list.

"Huh... How many Alexes are in this city?" Garland removed his thumb and saw the last name. Garland's eyes grew wide and just ran in, looking around for his friend, he had been worried for Alex, he didn't know he left until he returned himself on the 12th of Fall.

"Alex!"

"Shhh!" The librarian hushed Garland. He didn't pay them no mind and just rushed over to Alex.

"I got lost, damn fog got be turning around in circles." Garland smiled and sat down beside Alex. "When did you get back?"
Garland
A Father First, A Squire Second

Words: 687461
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2014, 2:02 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Words have Weight.

Postby Alexander Faircroft on September 16th, 2016, 5:40 am

Alex smirked and Offered a hand off to a seat opposite him..
“I got back in the city five days ago. I’ve been spending the time in a bit if a punishment due to a small altercation with Revy and a patrol with a Ser Longwell. Met a big…Thing. Not fun. However whilst I was away from the city I met a few people who were here once. And settled some… Problems of a personal nature. I also came to a few realizations. Have a seat then we’ll talk.”

Alex closed the book in his hands and placed it flat on the table allowing Garland to take a seat opposite. A heavy pause over Alex and his words. His hands folded across his hands front, fingers laced together. Something about him different. His travels to different cities and experiences on the receiving end of the knights punishments one too many times heavily outweighing the crimes committed.
“Garland. I’m going to speak plainly. I’m considering leaving the knights. I’m considering it heavily. Mostly as I’m seeing just how harsh the knights actions are. How unwarranted the punishments that get doled out are.”

A sharp glare in Alex’s eye as he looked towards Garland. A seriousness to his words, this wasn’t a mild joke, nor a mild jest, this was weighty, heavy. He was going to do one of two things locked in his own mind. He was going to change the knights drastically. Or he was going to leave them and head off to do good elsewhere. Somewhere away from the city, somewhere where a sense of fairness overruled the sense of extremity. His own moral compass telling him the severity of discipline within the city heavily outweighed the sense of safety the city granted.

Alexander Faircroft

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Words have Weight.

Postby Garland on September 16th, 2016, 8:53 am

Garland watched as Alex tensed up, he was different. He had plenty on his mind, he knew that much, he had been with Alex for a long time, and he knew when Alex was thinking really hard.

When Garland heard Alex was planning on leaving the knights, saying he was surprised was an understatement. Alex was the perfect knight! Everything Garland ever believed a knight should be, the person Garland actually aspires to be like, not Catherine, not Loren Dykes, not Sylir himself.

To hear Alex say he might leave just utterly baffled him. "I understand why a good person would want to leave the knights, but... I know what you mean, they're excessive, but they think it's needed. You can change that, you have what it takes. I won't force you to stay, but you're the best thing the knighthood has ever trained, anyone who thinks otherwise can shove off!"

"Shhh!"

Garland huffed and lowered his voice. "The knights are harsh, but in this harsh world they do that to protect their people. Is it the right choice? No, it's not, but what other option do they have, Alex? I don't like the knights either, I didn't even want to join two years ago because they always tie everyone down with their rules. I'll tell you, the first few weeks as a squire were bad for me."

Garland just paused, he let his emotions get the better of him again. "Ravok is close here, so is Sunberth, we're not a beacon of light in the darkness, we are the grey in the dark, the place slightly less dark than everywhere else. I'm not good with words, and I think the knights are flawed, but I believe that you can change that. I won't force you to stay, and if I could I'd probably join you, but I have... two commitments here. There have been plenty of good men that left the knights, I might leave one day, but for right now, I'll stay and do what I can."

Garland thought about his own track record in fights, he had been cruel, and merciless before. He was starting to become the thing he hates. "I remember when I was younger, I never fought, never hurt a soul, even if they beat me senseless, but when someone else was in trouble I had enough. I'm losing touch with the old me if that makes sense. I might take a break from being a squire, you can do that I think, I dunno. I don't know what to say honestly, if you do plan to leave, you'll always have a friend here."
Garland

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Words have Weight.

Postby Alexander Faircroft on September 16th, 2016, 10:18 pm

Alex exhaled slowly A long silence between his words ending and Garland sparking up. In those few mometns Alex had simply cast his mind back upon everything which had happened during his time in the knights as a squire. And the only people which at least stood out to him as good ones were Garland, Greyheart, Catherine, and Ser Tristan. He hadn’t fully gotten a hold on how Ser Longwell acted yet. But every other knight he’d met seemed overtly zealous in their implementation of punishment and severely lacking in the sense of reward.

The outburst from garland though wasn’t what Alex expected to hear. He wanted him to stay and change the internal core problems. Then the open words of ego stroking which Alex just let fly past him. However the clerk wanted Garland to quiet down and rather harshly let him know it. Alex let his eyes burn into Garlands for a moment so Gar could get the full sense of just how strong Alex’s resolve was. A spark of lighting seeming to gleam in his own eyes.

“Yes Ravok and Sunberth are close to here, and I know you’ve your reasons for staying. Two very important ones. But garland I want you to think about something. Why are they so harsh?” Alex exhaled slowly. “I’ve spent time in Sunberth, and Ravok, Nyka and Zeltiva too. And my recent excursion into Kenash has sown me more. I agree the world is not a safe place. And yes it’s harsh but look at how these places rule. Sunberth is complete anarchy. Nyka is a theocracy, meaning their four divines are their sole rulers. Zeltiva is technocracy, meaning their people are ruled by the most intelligent amongst them. All of these seem fair right?”

Alex then prepped himself for something of a rather difficult pill to swallow at least for Garland quite possibly.
“Ravok and Syliras however seem to be very similar in their approach to how they govern. With a paper thin veneer, separating them. Both of them are a Theocratic-oligarchy. Meaning their both ruled by a single god and a series of wealthy and powerful families. Which have been ingrained over many generations. And the only reason I call them different is Syliras is also a Minaric-Stratocracy. I know I’m using a lot of big words garland but bear with me, please.” Alex gave a rather sympatheic look to him as he continued on. “It basically means that, they’re a militaristic style of government with the idea of protecting the people at the forefront.”

Alex shifted in his seat and sighed lightly, before continuing on.
“There’s a reason that people tend to separate the police and the military garland, much like Ravok and Zeltiva do. It’s because one fights the cities enemies, the other protects the people. When the military becomes both, the enemies of the state tend to become the people. A long winded explanation for a rather simple point I know.”

Alex reached up a hand and scratched the side of his face before continuing on a little further his free hand pressed against the table lightly as he leant in. His words becoming quieter.
“And that’s what I believe is happening to Syliras. People who step out of line by even a little are given punishments befitting crimes in far exceeding magnitude in an effort to keep the peace through fear and oppression. Because when power isn’t regulated, it just becomes brutality.”
Alexander Faircroft

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Words have Weight.

Postby Garland on September 18th, 2016, 2:57 pm

Garland listened to Alex's words, he understood some of them and got the general meaning, but without a real formal education or actually having a drive to learn, most just flew over his head.

"I... get what you're saying, I'm not as traveled as you, but I can correctly say no system is perfect, but Syliras at least tries to do good. The government might be cruel, but there's no corruption higher up, just down low in the ranks, the untested ones. Alex, you're my friend, and I understand, but try not to compare Syliras and Ravok, at least we try to keep everything fair, no slave trade, and any racism Syliras shows is from the people, not the knights." Garland was angry at the mere prospect of Alex comparing Syliras to Ravok, but he kept it in check, because it was a friend that was telling him this.

Garland didn't love Syliras, he'd lay down his life for the people, not the city. Garland paused at the last thing Alex said, it was true just how cruel and quick to judge Syliras was to petty crimes, but there were two outcomes to this, crime was either really low, or are better hidden.

There was this thief that tried to steal a horse and a cart of tea and coffee a few seasons ago. He was probably still in the mines. "No argument there, my friend. Though there's always an upside, less crime in the city? Though the downsides outweigh the ups. Have you ever wondered how many innocents are in the mines? Not all of them of course, but how many were just in the wrong place at the wrong time, and how many more were forced to a life of crime because the knights put them there..."

Garland shook his head. "I'd go with you if I could, but I can't. If you're leaving, give me a few years and I'll be up there at the top, fixing this shyke storm of a mess!" Garland gave a light chuckle, hoping to lighten up the mood.

"I'd be all sentimental and give you my sword but... I kinda need it. It's the only weapon I actually own, I might buy you a dagger? Maybe a carving knife? A tea set would be good. Who knows, you might meet an old hermit on the road and you can't properly have tea without a tea set!"

"In all seriousness though, how would you like to leave? Quietly I reckon, knowing you, you'd want to keep this as hush-hush as possible." Garland sighed, and shook his head. "I was planning on a parade too." He raised up his head with a smile. "But I will get you a gift. Some practical and something that'll last, what do you suggest? Something magecrafted? No I don't have that kind of money, I'll think of something."

As much as it pained him to see Alex go, he knew that he had a good reason, Garland would try to raise up the ranks, maybe clean the knighthood out, that was what he envisioned for Alex, but with him leaving he had a new fantasy in his mind.

Alex making a band of do-gooders running around and saving lives, idyllic but it was something to hope for. Now he had the monumental task he had envisioned Alex doing, leading the knights. Oh Gods... I got this, stop worrying yourself Garland.
Garland

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Words have Weight.

Postby Alexander Faircroft on September 18th, 2016, 5:29 pm

“I said I was considering it. If things don’t go well then I’ll consider leaving.” Alex leaned back in his chair. “Though Garland when and if the time comes yes I would like things to be kept quiet. The only ones who’ll ever know I was here, will be you and the two knights we know. Everyone else will just slowly have me fade from memory. After all I may remember everything but I’m fairly forgettable.”

Another sentence punctuated with soft smiles and practiced ones at that. He truly resented the fact that he wasn’t a memorable person but perhaps that was for the better. After all having someone remember him would be just doing to them what he did to himself. And he didn’t want that. He didn’t want that at all. “Garland stay. Your bull-headed nature would do good things, perhaps when the girls are old enough you’ll be able to come find me, if I do leave. Until then just push forwards and be the same old overly optimistic guy I’ve known. I’ll keep going until I find the straw that breaks the camel’s back.” Alex spoke out those words with a soft bitter sweet note.

He didn’t want to do something like that but if things propelled themselves to a point where he was undeniably unable to agree with something he’d be taking his leave on the spot. And going through whoever tried to stop him. “And nice to hear that you’d like to get me something Garland but don’t. Keep your money for the twins. I’ve already got something which can’t really be replaced.” He smiled lightly and tapped his forehead with a finger.

The truth of the matter was the good people he’d met were stuck there and weren’t leaving. However as usual the bad always outweighed the good. “Though Garland, if things go well. And I mean extremely well. You won’t have to worry about me leaving. Though if they continue down the path they’re on then, well you’ll do fine.” Alex smiled light and rose from his seat. A soft step to him as he walked. He wasn’t the same man that Garland had seen leave for kenash almost over a season ago now. This was a much stronger much tougher man, more self-assured and more stable in his ideals and his actions. He’d been instilled with a sense of determination that had seemed to just roar into life over the last few days.

Boo!
Alexander Faircroft

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Words have Weight.

Postby Garland on September 25th, 2016, 9:55 am

Garland was always inspired(and a bit jealous) of Alex, he seemed to grow more and more each day, and dropping more of the crap that weighed him down.

Garland convinced that if Alex stayed in Syliras he would have changed everything here. Garland stood up and followed him, for whatever reason he couldn't shake the feeling of wanderlust and hoping to join Alex on his journey to right the wrongs of the world. It seemed so noble, so idyllic, it was a large goal with a long road ahead, but if anyone could do it, it was Alex.

"Having a great mind like yours is all well and good, Alex, but I'm a very sentimental man, I'm getting you something, that's final!" Garland walked beside Alex and looked around the library.

"You know, I've no doubt I would be working in the mines right now if my 'records' didn't magically disappear. I would reckon Catherine had something to do with that. I heard she was suppose to be a sergeant knight along side Ser Greyheart, she's just a bit too kind I would think. Don't ask how I got in, a friend of mine got me in." Garland picked up a book from one of the shelves and just smiled.

"I remember my best work as a prankster when I was a child. Rotten eggs, skunk juice, and rotting meat can make any place smell like an shyke hole. Glad they finally gotten the stink out of this place." Garland kept his voice down in fear if one of the librarians heard him, but there was pride in his voice. "Simple times, running around trying to avoid the knights, and now I'm on the road to becoming one. What are the odds?"

Garland put the book back and looked over to Alex. "You don't use a shield much, do you? All you'll have to give back that armor when, I mean if, you leave." Garland gave a smile, and looked himself over. "I think you'd be poorly equipped to change the world with just a few swords and a pack. I'll get you a shield or maybe some armor, I won't take no for an answer my friend."

Alex changed and adapted, Garland was as stoic and hardheaded as a rock. Garland changed little over few years in the squires, except he understood the law was there to keep the 'peace', but that didn't mean he liked it. He was a rebel growing up, and he'll always take the law like a suggestion, not an order.

"I'm not much of a bookworm, but there was one book that had a character like you, though a bit more dense, or maybe that character believed too much in the goodness of men. In all seriousness, Alex, hope for the best in people, but never expect it, always expect the worst, always believe that the person your talking to will stab your back for the right price, that doesn't mean that you shouldn't trust anyone, but it means to always be ready, always have your back against a wall so they can't attack you from behind." Garland gave one last concerned look, to show Alex that he was serious. Even he had a price to attack and kill Alex if needed.

That price is his children, if anyone would hold one of the twins hostage, he would remorsefully try to kill Alex.
Garland

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Words have Weight.

Postby Alexander Faircroft on September 26th, 2016, 7:32 am

With Garland following him Alex stopped at the edge of one of the tables, leaning lightly against it the heavy metal plates of his creaking against the wooden bench. Garlands words as usual sounded like a mix of jealousy and idealism.
“Having a mind like mine is all well and good, except it leads to some uncomfortable situations and some really dark memories. Garland you should be happy being the hard head you are. As for being sentimental, don’t worry about it. As for getting in Garland I’m sure you’d have done so with your own merits. You’re a good guy and a have a well-adjusted sense of justice. Just don’t let it abandon you.” Alex turned his head to stare wistfully out of one of the nearby windows, the smooth glass flaring the light into a streaked ray through the light dust.

Listening to Garland talk about his youth and how he was before the knights knocked some sense into him was almost charming. “Sounds about on par with how I imagined you to be prior. And odds are pretty good. Just don’t lose that sense of humour when you climb the rungs on the ladder.” Alex shifted his hands lightly, folding them across his chest. “As for Greyheart and Catherine the two of them, will probably be the only knights who actually care that I’m gone. I’m sure they’ll be alright.” Alex smiled to himself, the slight peasantness to his practiced one gone, this was one of a long mournful saddened one.

“Y’know Garland I’m twenty years old now. And my nineteenth, was the first one I celebrated totally alone. No friends, no family, nothing. Lost my mother five years ago, and my father abandoned me last year. I joined the knights shortly after that, mostly due to a crippling fear of being alone. Being out in the world by myself. Now though… I’ve just had my second one. Again, alone. Except this time I feel stronger for it.” He looked stronger harder, less like a small unassuming pebble on the beach but now starting to show a glint of light from within.

Listening to garland continue one about getting a shield was all well and good but Alex just gestured to the one strapped to his arm, the one he had used when he and garland first sparred. And his own one at that. Though Garland spoke the truth with his next words, Alex never expected the best out of people. Though the dark look that Alex got out of garland was one that he knew all too well. He didn’t return the look at least not yet. “I know your price Garland. You forget one of my best traits is being able to size people up. And I’d understand if you tried with their lives on the line. Cos you’re a father who cares…Kinda wish mine was like that.”

Alex held a moment before following forwards with his sentiments.
“Garland, I’ve never told you the full truth.” Alex let those words hang in the air like a shadow growing slowly. A looming spectre of dread. “I’m a Ravokian. Born and bred.” Alex twisted his head around from glanceing out the window to now shift his glare towards Garland. Something between respect and malevolence behind his eyes. The lurking spectre of violence that he always kept in check. “My father was a well-respected hitman, working for one of the great families in Ravok. My mother was before her passing. An Ebonstryfe paladin. Which makes me the spawn of two of the greatest evils that I now know of. And you wonder why I put on such a radiant glow. An air of honour and valour.”

Alex stepped forwards now using his full height to impose over garland just how much weight these words carried. “I know, as much as I’m capable of doing good, I am infinitely more capable of causing harm. I thought when I joined the knights that would help keep my anger in check, it hasn’t. In fact it’s done quite the opposite. I’ve never felt closer to losing my composure than I have in the last year.” His hands moved to rest on the blades at his sides.

“Garland if your kids were in trouble, and you had to kill me to get them back. I’d hope that you’d at least talk first, because as much as you think you could kill someone you know, I don’t think you’ve ever done it.” Alex’s tone changed, the usual light and soft ring to his words gone, now they felt cold, almost hollow. An emptiness behind them that spoke of someone who’d done something they didn’t think they’d ever have too. “I have…” He let the words just hang in the air like the stark shadow that had begun to grow.

Alexander Faircroft

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Words have Weight.

Postby Garland on September 27th, 2016, 12:40 am

Garland just smiled when Alex said he was a Ravokian. "Ha! Stop kidding around, I mean you can't be a ravokian, I mean-"

Garland saw the seriousness in his eyes and paused. "You're serious? Really?" Garland instinctively stepped back, not exactly sure if this was elaborate prank he was trying to pull.

Everything he knew about Ravokians were biased, but everyone seemed to say the same thing, so he thought it must be true. What he heard was that all Ravokians were either slaves or worship the dark gods like fanatics.

And from Alex's story he certainly was no slave. "You're telling me, the greatest man I know, the most honorable person in the city, the one person I would follow into hai and actually have hope of coming back, is a ravokian? I find that a bit hard to believe."

Garland was very skeptical about all this, but Alex was telling the truth, there were no quirks on his face, no crack in his face, no shaky hands or sweaty palms. There were none of the tells of a liar here.

"You've done more than prove yourself to be someone that does good and is good! You're better than most here..." Garland turned his back to Alex, mostly for dramatic effect, but he needed to think without the face a champion in his view. "And if you were a spy... You wouldn't tell the one person that doesn't give a shyke about due process and is most likely to try and strike you down..."

"You killed someone you know? Was it for a good reason? Were you forced? No sane man takes a life without reason, a fool would take a life with a petty reason but you are no fool Alex." Garland just sighed and thought about his own bloodied hands.

Garland turned back to Alex and smiled, trying to forget his own killings, they had reason that was for certain, but sometimes it just weights you down, killing someone you know was akin to a thousand deaths on your conscience. "Parents be damned, the past doesn't define you, and if there's one good thing Ravok has ever done, is spit you out into the world!"
Garland

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next