[Scrap] It's a Right Mishmash

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Postby Orakan on October 22nd, 2016, 5:11 am

mish·mash (mĭsh′măsh′, -mäsh′)
n.
A collection or mixture of unrelated things; a hodgepodge; a confused mess.

Welcome to my scrap. If you cannot tell by the above definition, there will likely be no rhyme or reason to what is posted here. Musings, inspiration, rants, reminders-to-self, personal updates - the possibilities are endless.

Although - let me be real here - it will likely become a shrine to my catImage.
(Her name is Mishmash. She's 14 going on 7 and is the light of my life.)
“The means to every crime is ours,
and we employ them all,
we multiply the horror a hundredfold.”

Image Image
Orakan
Lost Boy

Words: 101764
Joined roleplay: July 7th, 2015, 1:52 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Orakan on October 22nd, 2016, 10:54 am

So.. there's this thing I have been meaning to do for the past five years now..

NaNoWriMo.

Since I came across it, I've yet to actually participate, having always psyched myself out, gotten too overwhelmed by the task of it or something happened in life that made it so my attention and time were both needed elsewhere. Well, no more. I will do this. I will conquer my inner editor and self doubt and actively take part in it this year. This is me, making myself accountable. Putting my hand up to join in. I see that it has been a site-wide thing here on Mizahar in the past and I do hope it becomes a thing again this year.

None-the-less, whether it does or not, I'm getting myself prepared. Calendar done and table set.
Word Count Tally :
DAY GOAL POSTS DAILY TOTAL GRAND TOTAL
1 3,334 nil nil 0
2 --- nil nil 0
3 --- nil nil 0
4 6,668 nil nil 0
5 8,335 1779, 43 1822 1822
6 10,002 998, 55, 963 2016 3838
7 13,336 519, 109 628 4466
8 15,003 nil nil 4466
9 --- nil nil 4466
10 --- 880, 1262 2142 6608
11 18,337
12 20,004
13 21,671
14 25,005
15 26,672
16 ---
17 ---
18 30,006
19 31,673
20 33,340
21 36,674
22 38,341
23 ---
24 ---
25 41,675
26 43,342
27 45,009
28 48,343
29 50,000+
30 ---

My Wednsdays and Thursdays are kept blank for a reason: They are the days where I am at uni all day and then head straight to work after to get in some after-hours clients. I work as a full time remedial/sport massage therapist at a personal training studio M-F but I know my Mondays and Fridays tend to be on the slow side so I should be able to get extra writing cranked out on those days (as long as I stop over-thinking and just write). My partner also plays cricket on Saturdays which means I have the day to myself so that's another day I can fully dedicate to writing. Therefore, I'm not going to put pressure on myself to get writing done on my very full Wednesdays and Thursdays. Here's hoping all goes somewhat to plan!

Anyone else looking to do Nano this year? Feel free to shoot me a pm - I'd love to get a supportive group set up.

Happy writing!
Last edited by Orakan on November 10th, 2016, 12:27 pm, edited 11 times in total.
and we employ them all,

Image Image
Orakan
Lost Boy

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Aladari Coolwater on October 22nd, 2016, 10:15 pm

NaNoWriMo

I've been hyping myself up to do NaNoWriMo for months!

I never have participated for various reasons, but a support group might be just what I need. It might be nice to start a forum in the Discussions board, if we have enough people coordinating. We could post prompts and helpful hints or tools there, too. It's nice to form a solid community for such a big project.

The calendar is also a great idea! I might need to make myself one to stay on track. If anyone else contacts you, keep me in the loop. ;)
Aladari Coolwater
Rock the boat.

Words: 267621
Joined roleplay: March 8th, 2016, 3:26 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1)

Postby Orakan on October 23rd, 2016, 4:32 am

"Believe in yourself! Have faith in your abilities! Without a humble but reasonable confidence in your own powers you cannot be successful or happy."
– Norman Vincent Peale

Thanks for the reply and interest, Aladari!

I think a support group could be really helpful; if anything, there's the accountability aspect. You've given your word that you are going to take part and members can hold you to that and keep on you about it. Granted, a person's word (especially on the internet) does not seem to hold as much merit as it used to (I know I am guilty of not following through on my own in the past) but it's still something. Factor in a (hopefully) positive and supportive environment and it could be what someone needs to keep pushing through (or even to get started), especially with people sharing ideas and the like as you said. I'll definitely consider creating a topic in the Discussion board closer to the start date.

Also, plopping this quote here because I need it to be my mantra (especially once November rolls around) and maybe it might help someone else as well.

I need to quit my negative self-talk. I need to not let my doubt and fear of failure inhibit my writing. I need to stop being Cristina from Vicky Cristina Barcelona.
and we employ them all,

Image Image
Orakan
Lost Boy

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Orakan on October 27th, 2016, 10:44 am

and we employ them all,

Image Image
Orakan
Lost Boy

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Orakan on October 29th, 2016, 1:49 am

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
― Frank Herbert, Dune

Struggling to get past my fear of failure, my fear of being judged and not being good enough. Behind on assessments because of this (and feeling behind in life in general). I need to continue to remind myself that sticking my head in the sand when I feel overwhelmed is no way to handle these situations. It doesn't make anything better. It doesn't get me any closer to accomplishing my goals or tasks. It results in me being further behind, even more stressed and feeling angry at and awful about myself.

Apologies to those I owe posts to; spending this weekend catching up on all the things I have been putting off. Thanks for your patience.

I offer some Bonobo, my everyday/study/treatment artist of the moment:

and we employ them all,

Image Image
Orakan
Lost Boy

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Orakan on October 30th, 2016, 1:19 am

Recently discovered the art of Glyn Smyth and his brand Stag & Serpent and it's getting me musey.

Happy Halloween and Blessed Samhain everyone.
and we employ them all,

Image Image
Orakan
Lost Boy

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Orakan on October 31st, 2016, 8:55 am

There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside of you.
― Maya Angelou

Beltane blessings for my fellow Southern Hemispherians :)

This means NaNo starts tomorrow (well, nearly five hours for me). If anyone reading this happens to have a love of word count trackers and spreadsheets, you might find this link useful. She custom-makes word count spreadsheets for NaNoWriMo each year and even offers them with her own original artwork. Donations are encouraged but, if you are unable to spare a €, you may enter '0' in order to download her interactive sheets.

Other sites that may be useful during this month of madness:
  • Wordcounter - Not your average word counting site. Wordcounter also tracks all your overused words so keep a thesaurus handy. (Disclaimer: writtenkitten is my personal go-to for wordcounters... because cats. Puppies and bunnies are also available if one prefers).
  • Tip-of-my-Tongue - Oh man, Tip-of-my-Tongue is the site you need when you just can't remember that word you want to use. You know what it means, maybe know what letter it starts with or how it should sound but you can't remember it. Simply use the prompts provided and - voila! - the word is found for you (hopefully!!)
  • Write Rhymes - Do it for the love of rhyming words.
  • Graviax - For all the grammar nazis, Graviax is one serious grammar checker.
In keeping with NaNo, I already know I am not going to be able to get started this evening/tomorrow. Coursework, studying and work will take precedence and I hope to play catch up Thursday evening after my client. If you are registered on the official site, feel free to add me: fromanothershore

Furthermore, I just want to stress that neither the word count table nor the calendar posted above are my own original ideas. I saw examples of both while going through old NaNo-related discussions and threads and just wanted to clarify this. The calendar idea belongs to Gossamer and the tracking table to Aislyn Leavold - thank you both for the inspiration.
and we employ them all,

Image Image
Orakan
Lost Boy

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Orakan on November 5th, 2016, 9:40 am

and we employ them all,

Image Image
Orakan
Lost Boy

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Orakan on November 6th, 2016, 11:42 pm

Me right now. The imposter syndrome is strong.
and we employ them all,

Image Image
Orakan
Lost Boy

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes