A question about the goddess Dira

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Postby Allassanachassanya on October 29th, 2016, 10:04 pm

Hi!

My question is this: What would Dira think about malediction, the magic practice? On the face of it, malediction might seem to not fit in with the goddess, but (and this is a bit specific to my character) if the magic was practised without malice, where the user gained permission wherever possible, and where the user didn't actually kill anyone just for their remains (apart from animals, and would use the remains for eating as well as malediction)... what would Dira think of that?

If I haven't explained myself very well, then my apologies! Thanks :)
All 's' sounds are hissed in Ssanya's speech.
Resolve score - 30/100
Allassanachassanya
Sifting through the bones

Words: 232144
Joined roleplay: August 20th, 2016, 5:05 pm
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Artist (1)
Donor (1)

Postby Gillar on October 31st, 2016, 3:10 am

Malediction is not really much of a focus for Dira. While Dira is the Goddess of Death and Malediction deals with the magical alteration of the remains of dead things, the key element to all of it is the soul. Malediction deals with what I like to think of as the echo of the living being that is tied to the now dead remains. Dira's primary concern in regards to death is making sure that the soul moves on to where it needs to go. Whatever is left once that process is complete, is comparatively insignificant in her eyes.

The use of Malediction is often embraced by followers of Dira in that it allows them to embrace death even more. Those "echoes" of the once living that infuses the remains allows Dira's followers to be even closer to death in a way that is more pronounced.
Gillar
Forging the World

Words: 1345407
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 6:44 pm
Race: Isur
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Allassanachassanya on October 31st, 2016, 10:23 am

Okay, thank you very much Gillar! That was a very helpful answer. :)
All 's' sounds are hissed in Ssanya's speech.
Resolve score - 30/100
Allassanachassanya
Sifting through the bones

Words: 232144
Joined roleplay: August 20th, 2016, 5:05 pm
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Artist (1)