Completed A Brush With Death (Job Thread)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

An inland sea created by Ivak's cataclismic fury during the Valterrian, the Suvan Sea is a major trade route and the foremost hub for piracy in Mizahar. [lore]

A Brush With Death (Job Thread)

Postby Theo Popcampio on June 1st, 2016, 2:30 pm

I can't help it, fire's just that fun.

Thirty-Eight of Spring, 516 AV

Days had passed, memories had blurred, and drinks were just for the sake of the drink now. The captain had found a new first mate among the men on board, and there was a new sense of dignity among the crew. Wind kept the sailors in good faith on the journey, Precious still rocked smooth on the ocean waves, and Theo still kept his sword arm strong, only now he practiced in daylight.

But now the time had come.

The crew had slept for a week with their minds unhindered by the nuit’s plans, but for the past three days the anxiety was thick in the air. The crow's nest had been reporting sightings of a ship trailing Precious at low tide. Just the night before this day she was spotted trailing in the ripples of Precious’ wake. Novenam said it wasn’t worth trying to outrun the other ship as it had clearly been outpacing them. Theo could not identify the body of the ship, but the opposition’s lighter design was clearly playing a factor. It seemed obvious to Theo, and others thought similarly but said not a word: They weren’t trying to catch up, they were waiting.

“Half-sail!” Novenam shouted, observing his newly inspired crew work hard on the lines to increase his steering. The rest of the men tightened their grips on their blades: Everyone on board Precious wanted a piece of Brayden’s killers, much like the nuits wanted the entirety of them.

“Slow,” Theo grabbed the captain’s shoulder, seeing he was about to issue his commands. “We’d do best not to tip them off to our intentions. With any luck, we can lure them into a false sense of security.”

Novenam glanced at Theo and then back to his men. He had become colder since learning of his son’s fate. However, Theo saw the seeming disregard Novenam showed had earned him a sense of respect, but young Theo knew better. Novenam was hurt: all men had their own way.

“Ease your way to port.” Novenam bellowed.

Precious began to slowly turn her way around. Syna shined down in Theo’s eyes as he looked up at the sails. A quick blinding made Theo happy for his senses. For a moment the atmosphere overtook him: the cold, clean salt of the sea, the unyielding blue in the sky, and the calming sound of ocean were all there was; that was before they were drowned by the toils of man.

“You have anything to say to my men?” Novenam snapped. ”They’re no swordsman. I think you learned that from Enermis.” Novenam nudged Theo, moving his attention to Stumpy. Theo had found him, but his shortened arm was all he could gaze on. There was pity and humor in Theo’s gut at the same moment as he looked at the sailor’s stump. In his mind there was nothing else Theo could have done, but he still felt sorry for not exploring another option. Still, it was not sitting well with him how others were taking to calling him Stumpy now. Enermis had fought bravely when he knew Theo was the superior sword. Theo admired him for that. That was more than he could say about most others on board.

“Aye, but they do have swords, Captain. That’ll be all they need, you just play along, and let me do the talking when needed. I’ll get these guys sweet as virgin juice, and deliver them sick justice.” Theo predicted.

Theo had not proven himself at the helm yet, but cunning might suffice for the coming trial. He knew he well had the numbers to win this fight, but Precious hadn’t the numbers to win a fight and make it to shore. Theo was not a lying man, not even in battle, and he knew he wasn’t a sailor either. We will have to play the nuits, but their rotting asses are privy to tricks. Still, there must be a way.
All my templates were made by the grace of the enchanting Aislyn Leavold.
Theo Popcampio
Fire Starter

Words: 212275
Joined roleplay: May 31st, 2015, 4:25 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Theo Popcampio on June 8th, 2016, 3:09 pm

Theo’s mind was carefully wandering through the creation of a strategy. He’d not been bred for command, not even by the knights. It, however, was fitting that he faced his first task of leading men to battle with such a decent sized force. Theo was dauntless and confident, of that no one had any doubt. Still, would poise be enough here? He’d not lead any force on land, but at least Theo had knowledge of it. Fighting from a deck would be another story altogether. Boarding would be a problem he’d have to worry about. Do they come on board here, do we go to them? And what if they have weapons to take on our ship, Precious is merely a cargo freight. Wait they’re so small, they won’t have weapons...

"Novenam, if you have any ballista hidden below deck, this would be the time."

"Do you have any idea how expensive a ballista? Coin better spent at the tavern or brothel."

"How’s business been, by the way?”

"Awful, no expansion."

Theo wanted to laugh, but held it back. The wind blew past both of them in a heavy gust. "Soooo you have never fought on the seas?"

"Not even on land. I did get run up on by some pirates once, had to give em my whole cargo and old boat. Took me a month to scrounge up the Mizas for a new girl. Why do you ask?"

"No reason." If Theo pried any further it’d throw his authority, and potentially the battle. The men were all dragging their swords against the deck and looking at their daggers with crooked eyes. They desperately needed focus, but more importantly they needed confidence.

He somewhat randomly remembered Rielly, and how he’d ambushed a dozen of bandits with her all thanks to his own planning. Gods, what I’d do to be between her bosoms right now. Her emerald eyes, smooth, dark hair, and freckled face are all I want to see.

I did the right thing by leaving. She’s a good girl, and has no reason to bear the problems I could bring upon her. Theo chuckled, The sailors really have caught on to me, haven’t they? But Theo knew the impression had been left by himself, and the lies did not serve him.

He wasn’t keen to admit to himself that he had dreamt of his girl in Syliras every night since he had left aboard the Precious. Women ran through Theo’s mind everyday in the City of Civilization, and some ran through his sheets, but none else had left a lasting longing in young Theo’s mind.

Novenam nudged Theo and the anxiety of romantics was washed over by the anticipation of battle. The cool blue of the sky was edged out by the deck of the boat. Another time, another place, but now these sops need me more than I need to get over her. Miles away, I bet she’s already forgotten me.
Theo Popcampio
Fire Starter

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Postby Theo Popcampio on June 8th, 2016, 8:09 pm

”Who am I kidding? Theo chuckled.

Were you talking to yourself? Novenam spat.

Theo let his words drift away in the wind. Sailors were jumping every which way, some giddy for the fight, and others were trying to wiggle their way below the deck. Green men, what more can I expect from this sad lot? Theo laughed.

”I’d quit laughing if I were you, they grow closer every second you wait.” Novenam said. He was scratching himself and pacing the deck.

Theo turned to Novenam, whose face was marked by contempt. The former squire leaned in to the captain’s ear and gave him a harsh whisper. ”Slow your roll, cap, live a little because you might be dead soon enough.”

Theo knew how he’d play it. Nuits were not built for any fight, if they were taken by surprise they couldn’t last in any real rumble: Their slowed movements prevented them from making up ground ad hoc. Still, Theo did not know how experienced their souls were, and that was a due worry.

These men do not want a brawl, nuits have slowed reaction times, I learned that in my last fight. They probably planned to slit our throats in our sleep. It’ll do the green blades well to know they have an upperhand in aptitude. Still, never underestimate a man’s potential for bravery, in either direction.

Their corpses may not be the only thing that’s rotting, who knows how old these nuits truly are? There may even be a wizard among them… Something tells me this job won’t be as simple as the posting I read in Syliras.

Theo looked out across the upper deck. ”Men!” He shouted.

Every man on board turned and looked straight as a pencil, like a truly disciplined force… or a truly scared one. Theo looked at them indifferent, unwavering in his smile.

”Are you ready to slice open some nuit guts?”

Some men cheered, but most held their tongues. Okay, Theo, maybe bloodcurdling speeches aren’t your forte.

”I can see them from here begging for your warmth. I bet they’d love to be inside each and everyone of you.” Some men found a snicker underneath the tension. That’s all I needed.

”These people… they’re undead. Rotten abominations of Uldr unfit for this realm, well deserving of death. They are slow, not as well prepared, and inferior to us in battle. I’ve faced one myself and saw him at least three steps behind, just ask Enermis!” The men roared with laughter. Sorry Enermis, but one should never put ideology before practicality..

”...Here’s the plan: They want to kill us in our sleep, right? Well will welcome them on board, give ‘em what they want, for a time… Sorry men deserve a good feeding, even if it’s their own guts. For every man they have we have two, so treat it as such, ‘sides their leader, he’s all mine. We offer them no quarter, you hear me?”
Theo Popcampio
Fire Starter

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Postby Theo Popcampio on June 8th, 2016, 8:10 pm

Over the bow Theo watched the waves shape around Precious. He leaned over the edge with one foot up. Novenam was trying to usher him some feeble command under the rush, but Theo paid him no mind. Squinting, Theo could see a gang of men of men hanging over the bow of the smaller ship. Between them and the remainder of the crew, Theo counted eight in total. As they came closer and observed Theo’s watch the men on board waved towards Precious. With a flick of his hand Theo let Novenam the time had come.

”Drop anchor!” Novenam bellowed out.

The men were ready at the trigger and dropped the sea anchor overboard. There was a slapping whoosh as the weight broke the surface. Theo felt the boat dragging to a near halt as his ankles pushed against the deck to maintain his balance. Theo kept his eyes fixated on his foes.

Just within his sight Theo could see their men drop an anchor over the starboard side of their ship. ”Tell the men to sheath their blades, but keep them ready.” Theo told the first mate, who made off, scattering the word across the deck.

The slimmer ship slid into place parallel to the Precious, their captain was cold in the face, a sure nuit. Theo found it hard to believe that someone whose life was devoted to finding bodies and barfing their soul into them could find happiness, but their captain’s face was glowing, along with the rest of his crew.

”What business do you have in our wake?” Novenam called out.

Their captain continued smiling. ”You’ll have to understand our rudeness, we actually were just passing our way to Riverfall.”

”Is that so? Tell me then, how have you not emerged past us in that sloop. My men have spotted you trailing behind us for about a week now.”

A look of coy surprise slipped over the man’s eyes and nose. He had a hooked nose and fairly spaced eyes, his lips were small and only moved slightly when he smiled. Surprisingly, his body fit him perfectly. He sported a jacket made of cotton with a gold laced pauldron on his left shoulder. His left hand held the grip of his saber, which was on the same side, while his right hand rested on the pommel.

He held his out with an open palm. ”My apologies! If your scouts did not notice, we had a tear in our sail!” He pointed up towards his mast. Even with the sail rolled up Theo could note the stitching.

Novenam leaned towards Theo’s ear. ”Popcampio, what if these aren’t the men that are looking for us?”

”Get the lies out of your head,”Theo said. ”They are.”

”Are what?” The opposing captain called out against the water. Over his shoulder a man was sweeping his eyes across Precious. He’ll be disappointed

”Hungry, I can see from here how skinny you all are. How long it been since you boys had a decent sized bite.” Theo called in retort.

”Don’t you have a keen eye?” The captain laughed, looking around. His crew joined in after. And then his face was stern again, ”We had a stowaway, he was dipping heavy into our stores. We dropped him off a week back, but the damage has been done. We could use a good bite to be fair with ya’.”

Theo leaned into Novenam’s ear, ”He’ll be eatin’ dead cock soon enough.”

”I suppose we could spare some rations.” Novenam said. ”For some coin.”

”Oh, that would be most kind.”

”Scrub the deck men, we’ll be having company. The rest of you see if anything needs handling.”
Theo Popcampio
Fire Starter

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Postby Theo Popcampio on June 8th, 2016, 8:10 pm

With the ships tied down all the opposing men came on board besides a few hands. Theo had volunteered to take them down to the stores, and had picked men sporting daggers to accompany him. The short blades’ll be good in close quarters

In total they were seven, three of Novenam’s including Theo, four to the opposition. Theo had chosen to lead, but he instructed the other men to linger behind so no one got lost.

”So how long you boys been sailing?” Theo asked.

”All my life.” One responded. Theo could feel the lie burrowing from his rotting teeth.

”Oh, really? I bet you’ve gotten accustomed to the life then. All the sweat, and men.. Mostly the men.”

”What’re you trying to say?” He asked, insulted.

”Nothing, nothing at all.” Theo smiled. ”Just I wouldn’t if you boys got down together. A man gets lonely, nothing wrong with that.”

”Why...”

But before he could finish, Theo had turned and cut his guts clean open with his longsword. Theo danced backwards as the soon to be corpse rolled to his feet, leaving a trail of white ichor in his stead. Novenam’s men threw the others down the stairs and began slitting throats.

”Nice and smooth boys. You tidy up here, I got affairs on the upper deck.”

There were six more of their men on board by now, and Theo knew the commotion downstairs was not going to go unheard, but he a thought popped into his head on the fly. He rushed up the steps, hurrying between the stores to mid ship and all the way up until his head was popping out on the main deck.

Theo faked his pant a little. ”Come quick!” He yelled. ”A barrels fallen on one of your men, we have not the strength to move it.”

One of Novenam’s men came running and a nuit too. Theo waited below deck. Novenam’s man past quick and waited at his side. The nuit rushed down equally as quick, and his jaw dropped as he saw Theo waiting. Trying to turn, he was too slow and Theo grabbed his leg and pulled him down, throwing him to the ground. Theo vaulted the side of the steps, leaving Novenam’s man to finish the job.

”Now!” Theo yelled as he emerged. In an instant the nuits were being cut down. Theo met one of the nuits in the gut with a blade as he turned to see what Popcampio was yelling for. Too slow to react, strength slipped as Theo slipped the assassin’s dagger deep into his gut, twisting as it sunk in. The nuit’s hand slipped from the blade and fell limp before the former squire let him drop to the ground.

Looking towards Novenam, Theo could see the old sailor was being overwhelmed in a swordfight with the opposing captain. Theo rushed up the steps to the bow and quickly placed a blade through his back. Theo pulled the blade and pushed the man up against the edge of the ship.

”Sayonara, petchface.” Theo said, letting the dead captain drop into the sea.

”Have ‘em all thrown overboard. You two, go with Theo to their ship, see if you can find anything worth keeping.” Novenam said.
Last edited by Theo Popcampio on June 8th, 2016, 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Theo Popcampio
Fire Starter

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Postby Theo Popcampio on June 8th, 2016, 8:12 pm

The planks that connected the two ships were slim and wobbly. Theo tip-toed across with one foot in front of the other as they bowed and wobbled. Theo wasn’t exactly frightful, but seeing the drop below was sublime. He laughed as he crossed, looking in the face of death was invigorating. Hanse and Tribble, deckhands and nonparticipants in the fighting, were to follow after Theo. They were husky men, hardly suited for sailing, but had the hearts of scrounges, perfectly suited for scouring a raggedy ship.

As Theo landed on the nuit’s ship something immediately felt off. There was a stench of death on board, which was unsurprising, but an unsettling ambience hung beyond the stench. A harking in Theo’s mind made the deck seem gray and spread a dark aura across the air. Theo’s vision seemed to vanish on the fringes, and funnelled into a more detailed and focused view.

”Theo, you comin’, or are we going to loot this thing ourselves?” Said Hanse, who has halfway down the stairway to the underdeck.

Out of the way. Theo said in a hoarse voice, shouldering Hanse as he pushed past him.

The search of the underbelly yielded relatively little, the mizas were so few that Theo advised Hanse and Tribble to pocket what they could, as splitting it would make the coin worthless. There was relatively little else: A few loose daggers with chips in their blades, some hand tools, and some odd keepsakes, but nothing of value. Tribble rushed over joyful with a short sword he found, swinging it with in a happy fury. Theo and Hanse had a good laugh as the ancient blade cracked in half when Tribble accidentally hit a support beam. Tribble gave a quick “hmpf” before deciding he’d check the cargo hold.

“Have fun!” Yelled Hanse through his gray beard. He turned to Theo, he was squinting in one eye and had a glaze in the other. “Maybe he’ll find something good down there, best I tag along, keep him honest.”

Theo hadn’t heard any bit of the disagreement. A dark cloud stirred over him. He searched his mind trying to pinpoint the source of the feeling. It was familiar and benign, a sense of loss and renewal all in the same. Melancholy rolled over Theo as he searched a barrell and his heart began to drop inside his chest, seemingly falling out of himself. Every second on board the world seemed to lose a bit of glimmer.

”Argghhhh!” Theo heard from outside his head. Immediately he got up and started heading towards the cargo hold. Something inside Theo already knew where it came from.

Hanse was hanging in the stairwell, frozen. Theo saw him slowly reach back for a railing. A stair beneath him creaked as he moved back. Theo hushed Hanse down immediately. The sailor looked back, fear twinkling in his eye. Down the stairway a shadow flickered over the candlelight, and then the light went out.

Hanse tried to run but as he did Theo saw a shadow emerge from the underbelly of the ship. Theo only saw the arms stretch out as they swallowed Hanse into the abyss. It took Theo a second to reclaim his mind, and he ran down after them.

Using a res stream as light, Theo investigated the underbelly. There was a pool of blood spreading out from behind a pile of crates, with Tribbles ragged boots hanging just past so Theo could see. He expected to hear Hanse in a struggle, but the only sounds he heard were his own footsteps. He tiptoed around, trying to be as silent as possible as he made his way across the storage of the ship, it was dark near the stairwell, but still some light stayed flickering on the opposite end of the cargo hold.
Theo Popcampio
Fire Starter

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Postby Theo Popcampio on June 8th, 2016, 8:13 pm

Slowly Theo began to understand what was going on. Without any sight of the creature, Theo was able to approximate what was going on. He knew from previous literature and encounters that Nuit’s tended to be shy and unexciting on their own, even when trying to hide such. What he had just seen was certainly not a Nuit, but it left the same lingering sting of death on his mind. It was an undead, but not the work of man. Uldr’s marked, and it had been leading this sorry bunch of Nuits.

”Servant of Uldr, let me see your vile being.” Theo spoke out in the dark. And for a second the air stood still, but Theo felt a vibration, movement from behind himself. As he turned a shimmering, clawed appendage struck from the shadows. Theo quickly swung out with his long sword, but had the blow reflected by a scaly arm hard as any iron. He extinguished his flame, giving sight for dexterity. He was swinging aggressively, hoping to strike a blow, but each lunge was deflected right back at himself. Theo could feel the monster getting closer as each clash happened an inch more towards Theo, and he slowly started to give ground. In the light the scales started to glow and Theo could see the skinny arms with taloned hands blocking his strikes. A hawk face looked not at Theo’s strikes, but solely at Theo.

And then it let out a blood-curdling scream, overwhelming Theo. The beast reached out and tossed Theo down to the ground, tearing his tunic all the way through to his chest. Haunching over him, blood dripped from its lip as the beast screamed again, this time directly into Theo. Theo struggled to get his arms free, kicking the beast in its lower abdomen, but to no effect.

Theo struggled, but became paralyzed in disgusted amazement. The creatures face gave way to new form, a crystalline abscess ascended from above it’s eyes, and small, jagged extrusions spread on its face. The scales erupted into boils, and the skin seemed to split in a chaotic order, each crack spreading an orange glow. Theo looked over and could see it arms burgeoning as the boils began to spread, and he could feel the grip on his arm get tighter.

”I AM ULDR’S WRETCHED WRAITH, AND I SHALL FEED, MORTAL!” The beast bellowed as its hands shifted to Theo’s shoulders and lowered itself down upon Theo, sniffing.

Theo wiped his face of spit under the beast’s arm. ”Do you have to be so loud?”

That had only served made Uldr’s servant more angry. ”I SMELL NO FEAR IN YOU SPIRITIST, BUT BRAVERY WILL NOT SAVE YOU! YOUR DEATH WILL BE SLOW FOR YOUR MOCKERY!”

Theo started burst into hysteric laughter. Through the slits of his eyes Theo could see the aspect of terror slip off the beasts face, and shed into a brief shock that was plain to see even on an undead's face.

Uldr's servant pulled its head back and sucked in air for another shrill, but before the beast could ring the empty underbelly of the ship Theo spoke. ”Bravery might not save me, but fire will.” Breaking his hand free and smearing the remainder of his res across the beasts crooked cheek, Theo continued his laughter as the wretched one tried to wipe the goo from his face, but the wretched only furthered Theo's purpose by spreading the goop around as he lit it aflame. The undead shrieked as Theo poured more of himself into the fire. Theo raised his other arm from underneath himself and shoved the beast off. Still it tried to extinguish the fire, but now Theo used both his hands to generate res, and soon the wretched one was fully engulfed in flame. As it panicked in its last moments, Theo grabbed his longsword and thrusted it through the wretched ones face. Even then the creature struggled for a short while, but as it wiggling ended Theo felt the looming burden slip from his soul.

The fire, however, did not die. Theo turned to gather Hanse, but when he poked his head to where the undead sprang from, Theo could see a red mush where his compatriots face should have been. Theo ran up the stairs as fast as he could, practically falling over the last step. Each step seemed to be longer than the last as he rushed for safety

As Theo emerged on the deck, the wood was now a rustic brown and Syna hung bright in the sky. ”Draw the boards! Lower the sails!” Theo yelled as he ran up. The men acted immediately, and the boards were drawn before he got there. Theo saw the Precious slowly begin to move as he put his one foot on the railing. He jumped, extending his arms for the ship. His legs circled in the air as Theo watched his grip fall short by a hair.

His fingernails did not hold for a moment in the wood, and for a millisecond Theo thought he was dead for sure. That was when Theo felt a grip on his wrist, and then another on his opposite hand. He looked up, it was Novenam and his first mate, Syna shining over their shoulders.

The two pulled him on board. Theo looked back and could see smoke bellowing out from the Nuit’s ships stairway. He was panting and laid flat on his back.

Novenam stood over him. Perhaps after his son’s death he had learned to read men better, as he opened his mouth and then shut it. ”Full sail!” He yelled. ”Get us to Riverfall, crew!”
Last edited by Theo Popcampio on June 13th, 2016, 11:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Theo Popcampio
Fire Starter

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Postby Theo Popcampio on June 8th, 2016, 8:13 pm

Please delete
Theo Popcampio
Fire Starter

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Postby Jasmine Stormblood on December 5th, 2016, 4:45 am

Let me know if I missed anything dear