[Plotnotes] Karin's Intentions

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This forum is an OOC forum for PCS and Organizations to work out plans in hardcopy. Each PC or Organization gets a single thread where their players can help work out plans for their PC. Quests, mini-sagas, and Trips can all be organized here as well working out timelines and points of travel and things PCs need to do along the way. Each PC however gets only one Plotnote for their individual PC. Groups get one as well. There is no limit on individuals posting saga or trip plotnote threads. Please denote [PC Plotnotes] or [Group Plotnotes] or [Quest/Trip/Saga Plotnotes] when titling your threads.

Postby Karin on December 19th, 2016, 1:42 pm

The Syka Shipwright
-Planning Page-

Business Plan Link: The Syka Shipwright (Gillar-approved)

Plan Implementation & Finish Date: Starting 20th December, finishing all threads at maximum by 28th February.

In Character Start-Date and End-Date: 50th Winter - 90th Winter

____

Thought Processes
-How Karin mentally prepares and builds up to moving to Syka and building a boatyard-

Building & Thread Work
-List of threads and thread plans where Karin builds the entire structure by hand-

Boat Building Preparation
-How I plan to make boats, getting plans, sourcing wood + other aspects-

Thought Processes
Unaware to Informed

At the beginning of Winter 516, Karin is just a simple worker at the RF boatyard. She is given simple tasks, takes orders, builds boats for others. She really enjoys it, and it is her whole life to be honest. She has grown distant from Jay however, which makes her think somewhat badly of RF- using it as perhaps the cause of their distance. The closest and happiest she has ever felt was when they were on the Mischief together. As such, she dearly wishes to be closer to the ocean again. This mirrors her original want to get away from Alvadas- the city is fine and wonderful, even, but being on land and away from the roaring seas leaves her feeling like she is missing something inside. At the start of Winter, she still does not know of Syka.

At the beginning of the season, Karin starts feeling somewhat detached from the RF boatyard, as she is beginning to find she wants her own creative freedom. She really, really wants to build her own boat, but there is never any space at the yard. She also starts to make friends with a fisherman who rescues her from what he thinks was drowning but was actually Karin practising diving. He helps her practice sailing, and she realises she feels right when she is on the beach and on the sea.

A third through the season, she starts hearing rumours of a new settlement over the ocean, a place called Syka. This sparks her interest, especially as she hears it is a settlement basically on the beach. It sounds interesting, but it doesn't cross her mind to go there yet.

Then after a while, after she grows more and more disillusioned with RF (she hates Atri's Place, where she lives and sleeps), she begins to make investigations into Syka and how to get there. The Veronica docks and she goes there, asking to come to Syka before she even realises she wants to. James says yes, and then she is on her way.

Now she is sailing there, but she doesn't yet realise that there is nothing like the kind of safety of RF. Upon arriving there, she spends a good ten days worrying and feeling sorry for herself. Then after this, she starts to figure out a plan.

The shipwright business springs about because she wants to build her own boat. She also needs somewhere to live, so she combines both thoughts and thinks -bingo! Shipyard! The Syka Shipwright is born, at least mentally. For the rest of the season, she pours all her being into making it a reality using her own hard graft and determination, mixed with almost constant prayer to Laviku for help. She suffers through two storms, but eventually comes out on top.

The Building
From Thread to Location

Once completed, the Boat Yard resembles a small workshop, built over with a roof of wooden shingles. The walls are not entirely sturdy, and are made of a wattle and daub type of material. The inside is illuminated by the large front door that is basically the entire front of the building, and is not so much a door as an opening that can be covered by a sheet of tarpaulin come night-time.

Inside, almost the entire area is covered with all kinds of building materials and shipwrighting equipment. There is a distinctly 'woody' smell to the room. During the daytime, everything is transported outside to work, and any boats in production are covered securely with a tarpaulin and left outside, as there is no space inside the building. The floor is comprised of wooden boards. In one corner, a hammock is attached. Outside the door is a firepit, kept a safe distance away from shack.

There is no sign to tell you what the place is- Karin relies on people's commonsense to tell them.

Thread Plans

Before Beginning (Phase 0)

• Thread I- 1st: Fishing with fisherman, sailing, etc. {*}
  • Thread II- (34th?): Getting restless, wanting to build her own boat more and more- at end finding out about Syka, finding the Veronica and ending up leaving on the ship {*}

Set Up (Phase 1)

• Thread I- 40th: Arriving at Syka, hopefully short modded thread.
  • Thread II- 41st-47th: Sleeping rough, indecision, wilderness survival, cooking etc. -> Seeing other structures, plan forming to build her own house. {*}
  • Thread III- 50th: Begins mental work on house (finding the building site/site of foundations)- midway through realising this is the perfect opportunity to build her own boatyard too. {*}

Construction (Phase 2)

• Thread I- 51st: Set-up! This thread will deal with how Karin considers her building. She is not at all knowledgeable on how to build a house, so will not think of a foundation. Will look at other buildings in Syka for inspiration, then collect and buy whatever materials she needs. This is also where she will get her loan. {*}
  • Thread II- 52nd-69th: Building, building. A post for a day- dealing w/ calendar events (wild elephants 59th) & (fire ants 68th). On the 69th, she will have the 'first draft' of the building ready. {*}

Weather the Storm (Phase 3)

• Thread I- 74th-76th: The storm (74th) damages Karin's building so much so that it needs a complete re-fit. She is quite terrified as the building hardly lasted. This time, she tries to make it stronger and more firm. Visits the trade goods bazaar at the Mercantile to see if there is anything there that she can use. {*}
  • Thread II- 84th-85th: The second storm (84th) damages her building again, but less so. This time, she feels a little more secure. This thread also introduces Karin to her brother, as the Blackshore Pod anchor in Syka for a few days. {*}
  • Thread III- 86th: A severely injured Charoda asks the Blackshore Pod to take one of the dead ones and drop them in the middle of the ocean. Karin accompanies them, still somewhat in shock from discovering that she has a brother and getting used to her new-old name. {*}

SPRING 517
Boatbuilding

Getting Ahead of Myself:

Here is where I will detail Karin's first boat made entirely by herself! First one will be the dugout canoe for hire, then the rowing boat for hire. After this, she will begin work on her own rowing boat with sail.

Last edited by Karin on February 20th, 2017, 11:30 am, edited 4 times in total.

10/7/17- All my threads are marked [open] and as such are open to all. :)
Karin
Ocean gazing

Words: 384298
Joined roleplay: July 7th, 2015, 10:05 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Karin on January 7th, 2017, 10:10 pm

Autumn 516 Job Thread Planning

During Autumn, Karin is merely carrying on with her job. She's doing regular things. However, I want to get a thread where she studies a rowing boat plan intensely. I also want her to fully develop her craving for the sea some more, and her independence and want to do her own thing. She doesn't like taking orders, and even though she loves working with wood and making boats, she wants to make her own boats.

Thread One: From Harbour's Embrace

Making and testing a rowing boat.

• Post 1- Start already working on rowing boat. Making the frame, pt. 1.
  • Post 2- Frame pt. 2, checking the plans often.
  • Post 3- Frame pt. 3, checking plans often.
  • Post 4- Finishing frame, starting making the bench, checking plans!
  • Post 5- Finishing bench, finishing an oar, testing boat on the harbour.

Thread Two: To New Shores

Making a small sailing boat, w/o cabin, and testing it too.

• Post 1- Working on frame, one day.
  • Post 2- Working on mast, one day.
  • Post 3- Working on inside, one day.
  • Post 4- Working on sails, and jib, one day.
  • Post 5- Working on waterproofing, one day, and testing the boat, one day.

Karin
Ocean gazing

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Karin on April 2nd, 2017, 4:31 pm

Thoughts on Themes and Characters

Recently, I have been struggling to write with my characters. There are a few reasons. One, that I have already been neglecting doing replies and so I feel bad about replying so late to people and thus feel demotivated. Two, that it's quiet at the moment anyway. Three, I've been in work more than usual recently.

But I've still been ticking away, thinking, plotting, debating with myself. I found myself drawn to analysis of my characters. I'm one of those people that have quite a few PCs: Karin, Allassanachassanya, Haena, & a revitalised Baran. I like having lots of PCs because it gives me different things to write, and lets me take a rest from one PC for a little bit if I find writing with them to get a little tiresome.

But what I wanted to do was talk about themes and PCs.

Sometimes, you just need to take stock of where you are and where you're going. It's not necessarily important to actually write it down, but I like to because it helps me organise my thoughts. To begin with, I'm going to analyse Karin, as she is the most fractured in terms of themes at the moment.

Analysis you say? Yes! :P By this I mean I'm going to examine what she is like now in terms of themes, identify the problems, and transcribe where I'd like her to be.

Karin Ironyach

Now:
  • Growing Up
Karin has been thinking of herself as a teenager, or similar Miz term. She was in that transition stage, and thus is commonly either a child, woman, or young woman.

• Severance (from her home and from the sea)
Feelings of detachment stemming from a disrupted past and living in cities.

• Loneliness
Partly attached to the theme of Severance, Loneliness is part of being removed from family and from her past.

• Family
Her particular brand of Family themes involved a plot series I'm not particularly fond of, including a ridiculous 'mwahaha I'm a bad stepfather' theme which I hate. :mad:

Karin's problem lies in her moving about. She moved from Alvadas, which was fine, but moved to Riverfall where her plots started to fall down. I stopped writing with her properly here and so I am now left with a Karin that hasn't developed properly. She is 18, but still acts like a child, has little experience with the world, and is stunted in terms of growth.

Future:
  • Despair
In my writing of her, there have been certain times where there have been edgings of despair in her conciousness.

• Determination
Despite being lame in terms of being able to do stuff like a proper adult, she has always displayed a certain tinge of determination.

• In Tune With Nature
She already displays a lot of this theme, but only in regards to the ocean.

• Badass
Adventure, survivor, mystery!

___

All in all, there needs to be an event which sets Karin into changing at her core concept. She's all light and airy craftsperson at the moment, but I want her to be tough and able to survive in this harsh world.

Hmm...

Karin
Ocean gazing

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Karin on July 8th, 2017, 9:31 pm

OOC: People Of Note

Syka

• Banu Seafoam, CS
A bone carver. Could be employed to make various fixtures, in place of metal ones seeing as metal is scarce. Although bone would be weaker, it is more easily replaceable, thus leading to steady commissions. [Fixtures likely to be the fixings between the sails and ropes etc.]

• Byronn, CS
A Kelvic bear. Potential heavy lifter and timber carrier, as well as general dogsbody! :P (Inactive?)

A weaver. Potential maker of sails, as well as other cloth things. If interested, could maybe branch out into rope making??

• Nya Winters, CS
A Kelvic large cat. Potential heavy lifter/scavenger/leather crafter, for finishing touches or hardened leather items??

Karin
Ocean gazing

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Karin on July 9th, 2017, 5:24 pm

Summer 517 Word Count Tracker

Tracker Subtotal
748 470 843 620 734 438 3853
929 655 729 674 702 610 8152
Last edited by Karin on August 7th, 2017, 12:13 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Karin
Ocean gazing

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Karin on July 10th, 2017, 6:19 pm

Shopping List
-~~-

Winter 516 AV, in These Times Of Change [Thread Not Finished]
  • [Metal] Saw - 4 GM (taken from price for a metal saw (used for cutting metal)). Karin's purpose is for cutting wood, so, a hand saw.
  • Spade - 2 GM

Spring 517 AV, in In Hand And Heart [Thread Not Finished]
  • Felling axe - 6 SM
  • 2x bucket - 4 SM
  • Rain poncho - 1 GM

To Buy
[list][*]Adze - 7 SM
[*]

Karin
Ocean gazing

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Previous