Closed Seafarer And Seaweaver (Ashka)

A meeting between Ashka and Karin.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

Seafarer And Seaweaver (Ashka)

Postby Karin on July 9th, 2017, 5:17 pm

32nd Summer 517 AV
Sunrise
"Speech"
"Others"

It began softly at first. The delicate clouds that lingered like kisses at the horizon changed first, shifting gradually and smoothly from fur soft grey to salmon pink, shot through with iridescence. Then the sea embraced the first caresses of Syna's brightness, transforming into glorious, coloured glass, shimmering, dancing in the distance. Still the goddess had not shown her face, but Karin waited patiently, standing in the cool surf that washed around her bare feet. The sky was completely changed now. It was bright, , but so much more than bright, so much more than simple descriptions could do justice. It was alive with a goddess's presence, Syna's nearness. Karin watched, her eyes squinted against the rising, burning crescent peering over the horizon, until Syna was finally risen and hung alone in the vast expanse of the sky.

It was beautiful and exquisite. If Karin was a wordsmith, or an artist, or a poet, she would make artwork for the daily glory of the sunrise, for it added even greater beauty to her beloved ocean. But she wasn't, and so she had to content herself with casting a small, white stone into the foam, and making a prayer to Laviku. "Laviku, send my thanks to Syna for her beauty. Thank you for allowing her to cast her light on your creation."

She watched the sunrise for a few moments more, as she walked along the shoreline, until she reached a large piece of bleached driftwood. Here she stopped, and knelt in the sand, as Syna continued to brighten into the beginnings of the day. Yet she wasn't continuing her worship, to either deity. As much as she appreciated Syna, and as much as she loved and cared about Laviku, their respective domains were her everyday. It was a sad fact of this that they became somewhat normal and accepted in the day to day of survival. It was because of this that Karin forced herself to stop and truly look, from time to time. And it was worth it, she thought. Her day was beginning as she wished it to go on.

The driftwood she had stopped beside was a scene of interest too, though. It was nothing quite so dramatic nor godly as what she had just witnessed, but it held it's own fascinations. Karin's interest in the felled, washed up tree was that the wood was remarkably easy to work with. There were no longer any leaves to identify it, and the bark was peeling and lost in most places too, to reveal the pale, bleached truck underneath. Several branches were deposited nearby, stranded where the tide had left them. The tree trunk itself was the original source of interest for the woman, and she had earmarked it as a dugout canoe almost immediately when she had seen it yesterday. Today, she was scoping it out, and cleaning the branches from the trunk.

She got to work straight away. One of the axes she had bought last season was a small hand axe, which seemed to be a perfect way to neatly remove the outer branches. She hauled it from her backpack, which was slung carefully in the sand on the beach. The woman was dressed for manual labour, a grey, sleeveless shirt covered her lean torso, and her legs were clad in baggy, brown trousers that were fastened at the ankle. They were long though, and she was suffering because of it. Syka was a hot place, warmer than anywhere she'd lived before, and she still hadn't got the right clothing for the environment. Karin didn't have much of a fashion sense, but even she could concede that long trousers in a hot climate was a bad idea.

Nevertheless, she started her work, with the sun warming the back of her head already. Her hands clasped the axe in both hands, and she straddled the tree as she hacked at the protruding branches. Some fell of with ease, but others were slightly more awkward, mostly because of the angle that they were growing at. The blonde-haired woman submerged herself in the task as she grunted and heaved the axe, working hard to remove the stubborn, dead foliage. So it was to her surprise when she suddenly noticed the figure that stood silhouetted by the sunshine that cast a halo around them. She expressed her surprise with little more than a quiet, "Oh!", and stopped what she was doing to shelter her eyes against the bright sunlight.

Word count: 748

10/7/17- All my threads are marked [open] and as such are open to all. :)
Karin
Ocean gazing

Words: 384298
Joined roleplay: July 7th, 2015, 10:05 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Ashka on July 9th, 2017, 10:25 pm

Ashka was still getting to know Syka, but she had already learned that the coolest time was very early in the morning, so thatwas when she planned to go exploring. Chaya was less than enthusiastic about getting up so early, and gradually becoming more independent and less clingy. They'd spent most of the previous days looking around - and using - the few buildings already there, as well as venturing into the edges of the jungle. Today she intended to work her way along the beach a bit, and see what she could find there, but when she told that to Chaya, the younger girl muttered something unintelligible, turned over and pulled the blanket over her head.

Ashka sighed and left her to sleep. She couldn't watch the kid every moment of the day, and she couldn't see anything dangerous about, so she walked slowly along the beach with the sun behind her shoulder, occasionally stirring the flotsam at the high tide mark with her toe to see what was there, or peering up into the jungle to see if it would make a good place for a permanent place to dock their lives. She wore wide legged loose trousers of a pale brown, and left them open at the ankles so that they created their own internal breeze with their flapping. It wasn't as breezy as a skirt would be but it was a good compromise between heat and practicality. She paired it with a worn cream shirt, also very loose, and the blue scarf around her hair.

As she walked, she began to hear grunting from up ahead, and her body took on a warier stance, ready to flee if she had to, although she kept going forward for now. Then she heard the banging and chopping that accompanied the grunts, and the whole thing suddenly seemed more human. She eased her way past some overhanging trees, vines, and bushes that had blocked her view, and saw another young woman that looked vaguely familiar. Had they met? Probably, Ashka decided. Syka was so small that it was hard not to meet the same people over and over again. The woman seemed to be chopping at a large bleached log, and Ashka hesitated. She didn't want to startle the other woman and have her hurt herself with the axe. The sun sent her shadow streaming ahead of her across the sand, though, and the other woman paused and looked up, shading her eyes against the sun.

"I'm sorry," Ashka said, circling around so that neither of them would have to stare into the sun to look at the other. "I didn't mean to startle you. Do you - need a hand with that? I was just, uh, exploring, and, well..." She faltered as she saw the blue eyes. Another Svefra? Would this one accept or reject her, prank her or shun her? The only way to know was to keep going.

WordcountWords: 489
Running total: 4128 words

Ashka
Spinning between two seas

Words: 114863
Joined roleplay: April 20th, 2017, 2:31 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Overlored (1)

Postby Karin on July 31st, 2017, 7:35 pm

"Speech"
"Others"

It was her voice, rather than her features, that earmarked her as someone Karin knew. She squinted her eyes until the stranger shifted to allow each of them to clearly see the other. She would have realised far sooner who they were if their sister had been in tow, but as it was she took a few moments to scramble around in her memory to bring a name to the familiar face. "You're... Ashka, right? We met..." A few days ago? The time had passed, and she had forgotten. The shipwright idly picked a tiny splinter from the pad of her thumb, and wondered whether Ashka could help. It seemed unlikely- she only had one hand axe, and there wasn't really enough room for the both of them to work.

But then she thought further, and stopped herself from saying her usual no. Instead, she fell to a question. "Are you much of a woodworker? Or... I suppose, do you have a knife?"

Even as they spoke, she was hacking at the wood with the hand axe. For now, she didn't start on the actual canoe, nor on making it into something that even resembled a boat. Her slow but steady cutting and shaping targeted the twigs and gnarls of branches that still remained attached to the ex-tree. It wasn't neat - not yet - but it was needed. Even if she was not fully aware of it, the drag caused by stray branches could potentially alter the stability and direction of the dugout canoe, once it was made. All she knew was that she had never seen a boat with branches in the hull. So she fixed the log to how it was supposed to be, and continued to listen out for Ashka's responses.

Karin was not good at conversation though, despite being far better than she used to be. She took a break from axing a particularly tough whorl of wood, and suddenly remembered to ask, "How are you finding Syka so far? I suppose you might be used to this kind of life." She hadn't been used to it. Her introduction to settlement life had been long, sleepless nights filled with worry, hunger, and insect bites. But Ashka... Well, she might just well be different to her. It seemed likely. Karin remembered the canoe with the struts that had filled her with such fascination.

"Your canoe wasn't damaged when it got here, was it? I could make repairs if you ever need it. Just come and find me. I live out there," she pointed in the direction of Treasure Point, "And you'll know when you've found me."

Word count: 438

10/7/17- All my threads are marked [open] and as such are open to all. :)
Karin
Ocean gazing

Words: 384298
Joined roleplay: July 7th, 2015, 10:05 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Ashka on August 6th, 2017, 2:02 am

Ashka thought she knew the other young woman, but it was the mention of their last meeting that placed her. "Oh. Yes. You were the one who helped us unload, weren't you? I'm sorry, I've met so many new people in the last handful of days that I lose track of whose face owns which name..." She gave Karin a wry, crooked smile of apology and looked down at the log. When asked if she had a knife, her hand went instinctively to the dagger tucked in the small of her back. "I've worked a little with thin branches, weaving baskets. Never anything this big." Her smile flickered again as she added, "Trees don't grow very well in the middle of the sea." That at least was true of both seas she knew. Trees weren't exactly common in the Sea of Grass either...

She considered her canoe, the only thing that still connected her to the sea and her roots there. There weren't any holes in it, or any major damage, but bumps and bangs and scrapes took a toll too, and it was getting weedy underneath. "It's functional still," she said slowly, picking her words, "but it could probably do with an expert eye over it. I haven't much to offer in exchange though, unless you want some rope, or some cloth? I'm a weaver by trade..."

She turned away a little, looking out to sea, and her blue eyes took on a wistful hunger for a moment. She'd earned her way in the pod, even without a mark. Making her way on land was still an unknown quantity, and for a moment she yearned for the old known safety. The moment passed, leaving behind a stubborness to find a way to live here, stranded on a shore with no ship and no pod. Maybe if she stayed long enough, she'd begin to feel as if she belonged...

Word count319 words
Running total: 6436 words

Ashka
Spinning between two seas

Words: 114863
Joined roleplay: April 20th, 2017, 2:31 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Overlored (1)

Postby Gossamer on February 26th, 2018, 3:56 am

GRADING

Karin = See me if you decide to unretire
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ashka = Very nice contribution

Experience:

Observation +2, Socialization +2, Bartering +1

Lore

Karin: Svefra Of Syka , Karin: Boatbuilder
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)