Open Shiny Things

The Arrival

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

Shiny Things

Postby Velho on December 28th, 2016, 6:54 am

THE SORCERESS OF LHAVIT
CHAPTER I - WINTER 28 OF 516

If there was anything that Velho, as a teenaged human knew how to do best, it was getting lost and then running away. Or, not so much running away, but riding away. Her mount was a rather exquisite breed for the necessities of teenaged humans - it could go without water for many periods of time, it could deal with Velho's occasional stumble as she struggled to push herself up the horse's back. In fact it was so very strong that it could even deal with all the equipment that she, as a short, weaker child could not realistically carry all on her lonesome. Velho was thankful for the horse as a result - and this time she actually remembered to feed him.

"You're not a Wind Eagle," she'd sighed before she'd left her "ancestral home" of Wind Reach, "But I suppose you'll have to do." She, of course, would have preferred a Wind Eagle because the things could actually fly, unlike her mount who was sadly stuck to the ground and too heavy to achieve liftoff in the first place. Unfortunately, she had never really visited the aries, and Wind Eagles wouldn't have bothered with her frequent trips out of Wind Reach anyway. So it was fly the whole distance, or ride.

Velho chose the less annoying option.

Along the Road to Lhavit, she encountered dangers - as there always were on any given journey. Thankfully one of her strongest skills was running away to save her hide - this she did often, spurring the mount onwards with all her equipment bouncing along behind them. She was still not used to having hands to control the horse either - she usually spent so much time in her winged form that sometimes she even forgot that she had a human appearance - although she never forgot how to change back. She wriggled the fingers, pulling slightly to slow down the mount as they neared the entrance to the Shiny City.

"HEY LOOK!" She whisper-hissed, gesturing at the trees and stuff, and the hills and the forests and the city itself. "There it is, the blooming town of Wealth And Happiness And Everything come to greet us!" Or perhaps she had meant blossoming, instead, but then again, her command on the Common tongue was something she tried not to bring up as a subject of conversation.

Her Eyktolian slowed to a moderately paced walk, but stopped somewhere near one of the streets, on the outskirts of the city. He nudged her, as if telling her to think things through. "Riiight," Velho grumbled then, kicking the stones around her after she had dismounted. "I've no idea how to get in."

"COMMON" | "NARI"
Velho
la gazza ladra

Words: 17942
Joined roleplay: December 26th, 2016, 9:58 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Journal

Shiny Things

Postby Aeod on December 31st, 2016, 6:55 am

“In the kingdom of glass everything is transparent, and there is no place to hide a dark heart.”

DATE: Winter 28, 516

It was a typical...scratch that. It was a HOT day, for winter, on a mountain top. Regardless, it was as normal as the day before. Aeod left his apartment and headed off into the city. He still hadn't found work yet, but that didn't mean he couldn't keep looking. Hopes were for Glassblowing of some sort, but at this point anything would do.

"Today is my day. I'm going to find SOMETHING to do that constitutes work." He huffed and looked up to the sky as if asking for some semblance of assistance from the fiery orb in the sky. His legs carried him through the crowds of others deftly, almost like a dance.

It didn't take but a few businesses smiling at him but turning him down before he was frowning, much like the day before. He thought about heading off to get a drink, but something called for him to step outside of the city and just get a breather. It had been about a weeks worth of no job, and clearing his head sounded quite nice. With a brisk pace, Aeod headed for the Ameranthine Gate, then to the winding path which led to the Amaranthine River at the base of the mountains. Do I really want to walk all the way down to the river? That's a long hike...

He remained lost in thought at the top of the path, so much for clearing his mind, until something caught his eye. A young girl and a horse stood off in the clearing between the path and the gate. His brow perked and he stared for a bit before shrugging and walking towards her. Maybe she's got some interesting trinkets I can get to before everyone else.

"Hello!" He smiled to the girl and waved, approaching cautiously. "You seem a bit lost, are you a trader?" He gestured to all the items packed on the horse. "Is there anything I can help you with?" She'd probably be able to tell he was Inartan from first glance; from the red hair, to the golden eyes, but most of all the bryda and simple shirt with his boots. He looked at her with a grin on his face that seemed genuine enough.

Nari - Common - Thoughts - NPCs
Aeod
Player

Words: 7466
Joined roleplay: December 13th, 2016, 9:20 pm
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet

Shiny Things

Postby Velho on January 1st, 2017, 3:28 pm

THE SORCERESS OF LHAVIT

Burdened by the knowledge (or total lack of) of her current predicament, Velho resorted to staring emptily out into the distance. Her thoughts, as always, wandered back to Wind Reach and the comfortable (if dull) life she had led back there. Growing too fast to actually stay in the Yasi caste and yet too slowly to skip the awkward 'what are you going to do' stage, she had resorted to staying home or lingering near the city outskirts, or studying voiding with her patient teacher. Coming to another city, Velho had never imagined that she would be at a loss for what to do. So many times she had elaborately described the things she'd do if she got out of WInd Reach and yet... once she actually had, she had no idea where to start.

Vaguely, Velho registered the sound of approaching footsteps tapping towards her. She did not turn, did not give any indication to the approacher that she was aware of their presence - mainly because she was not focusing on it. She did, however, still her rubbing of the horse's neck and take up a more casual posture against the warm body. She placed some of her weight on it, half-slouching in a relaxed position like she'd seen the other adolescents do. The footsteps came closer, and at this distance, she could tell by the weight and the sound and the way they slapped against the ground that the person was probably male. Although... she had met some females with male-type footsteps.

"You aren't very quiet, are you?" she called backward in her most fluent tongue before catching herself, realising that they might not be able to understand the trilling language. And then, Velho Valjeta turned abruptly, fixing her steely brown gaze on the man who finished the last legs of the climb up to where she waited. Casually, she eyed his form - it wasn't bad to look at, and his face... The Kelvic quirked a smile, caught in the midst of hormones. Yes, he was indeed a blessing to the eyes.

"Well hey there, pretty boy!" She grinned, returning the wave with gusto. You seem a bit lost, are you a trader? "Yep and nope." Velho shrugged her shoulders as she said so, popping the p's and unabashedly staring at the... Inartan. Veeeeerrrrrry nice. At the offer of help, she brightened considerably and reached over to the saddlebags, fumbled for a minute and managed to extricate the tent from the mess of things tied onto the horse/packs/something. She did not untie it, though, and merely pointed at the item.

"Velho Valjeta at your service! And looking for somewhere to set up good 'ol home." Velho pronounced Valjeta as Val-ye-tah, slipping into a playful bow. "Also if you could tell me how to get a job and get in and navigate, I'd be in eternal gratitude. I'll do the laundry and all that. Serious."

She took a few seconds to get her breath back.

"You're from Wind Reach, aren't you?"

"COMMON" | "NARI"
Velho
la gazza ladra

Character sheet
Journal

Shiny Things

Postby Aeod on January 2nd, 2017, 9:59 am

“In the kingdom of glass everything is transparent, and there is no place to hide a dark heart.”

Was that Nari? Aeod's ears tingled with excitement as he approached Velho... Then she turned around. There they were, staring at each other for a moment in awkward silence. She seemed your average, young girl; appearances could be deceiving, however, and one should never just assume someone's age. Well hey there, pretty boy! His face flushed nearly the color of his hair and his smile broadened before he shook off the abashed feeling.

They spoke briefly and Aeod laughed as she introduced herself, bowed, and asked about jobs. "Well met. Velho Valjeta, a pretty name. My name's Aeod, and yes, I'm from Wind Reach. New here myself and..." he frowned as he paused. "I've had no luck finding a job yet, if I'm honest. I've a place to live, though, and a decent lay of the city. Best place to start is the Cosmos Center straight through the gate."

Turning, Aoed pointed off in the distance as he spoke before looking back towards her. "They have job listings for the city, and living arrangements. Though it looks like you brought yours." He smiled as he moved to her tent bundle and squatted near it. "I didn't see anything about rules for tents when I was in there, but I imagine if you wanted to set up somewhere out here it wouldn't be TOO much of a problem. Though, I doubt you'd have protection from the city." Aeod turned his gaze to her and shrugged. "I'll help however I can, it would be nice to make some friends here."

He grinned and stood, "Does the 'laundry and all that' still come with helping?" He chuckled quietly, hoping she'd catch that he -wasn't- serious, even though she'd said she was.

Waving his hands in dismissal, he shook his head and looked her over again, "Was that Nari I heard you speak earlier?" Whatever he'd said -if she didn't understand- it at least sounded like a question, and the quizzical look on his face agreed with that assumption.

Aeod
Player

Character sheet

Shiny Things

Postby Velho on January 3rd, 2017, 9:16 am

THE MAGPIE

Velho did not have to wait very long for the man to approach, and she faced him with a grin that was normally at odds with her usual 'neutral' face. Obviously she didn't smile like an idiot every time she met a new person, but when one was confronted with... well, charming men people, then one did not do much to prevent the wide smile from overtaking one's visage. And, though she did not mean to flirt in any way, maybe she did, who knew? the man blushed ginger (an odd colour to turn) and ended up with pleasantly flushed cheeks and a smile that sent shivers to Velho's toes.

My name's Aeod, said the aptly named Aeod, although Velho did frown a little when he mentioned that he'd no luck in finding a job as of late. How long had he been here for, anyway? Maybe only a few days, which would explain it. At least she hoped that it was a few days, because if it took months to find an occupation, she would up and leave and probably die out there in the wilderness. But Velho waved it aside - she'd seek out places that needed her services later. Perhaps as a hunter? A voider?

"Cosmos Center, aye? I'll have to check it out later."

Velho smirked as Aeod bent down to peer at the mess of things that he had named a bundle. It was good luck to him if he wanted to find out what kinds of things she kept in there, from the way that her bedroll spilled over the saddlebags and a tent peg fell out of the tied set just as he'd bent down. "Sharp eyes, Aeod. Very sharp eyes." The Kelvic laughed at this, a warm sound, warm as the not-winter, bubbling up from her chest. Oh, she'd missed the comfort of human presence! Out in the woods, everything was dangerous; Velho's Number One Rule was that "Everything is out to kill you, so either kill them first or run away". Sometimes both at once.

Being here, with someone older than her and with more experience... It was a relief, a lifted weight off of her shoulders that she didn't know she had been carrying.

"We-ll... I charge one kina per load..." Velho tilted her head as if she was pondering the offer, before the mischievous twinkle in her eyes came to light as she looked up, grinned widely as it was physically possible. "Joking. Sure, I'll do your laundry and all that if you help me set up." Of course he wasn't being serious. Of course it was meant to be taken as a joke. But the act of service was one very, very real to Velho. It struck a chord within her, reminded her of home. More specifically it was a memory of her father's words to her, repeared over and over again throughout the time she had spent there. Never let your debts go unpaid.

"Not ironing them though." She nodded; stretched out her hand to seal the deal.

And just like that, the thing about laundry and debts and setting up tents on city outskirts was over, and she was back to plain old Velho, a young kelvic girl with a hundred kinas to spend ever so carefully, and a tent to set up. Turning around so that Aeod could not see her, the girl rolled her eyes in am imitation of her teacher. "No, it was Kontinese. Of course it was Nari!"

"Why are you here, really? Talking to a lost trader like me?"

"Common" | "Nari"
Velho
la gazza ladra

Character sheet
Journal

Shiny Things

Postby Aeod on January 5th, 2017, 12:59 am

Their hands shook as he laughed at her humor, and the question of speaking Nari followed. Her retort, sarcasm and all, made him chuckle more. Aoed's shoulder's lifted and fell in a shrug, not that she could see, and he looked up to the sky.

"I couldn't tell you, for sure. I came here about a week ago and was frustrated about looking for work. Thought I would step out of the city and catch some fresh air."

He turned his gaze back down to her, continuing, "Then I happened to catch you out of the corner of my eye. Thought maybe you were a trader come fresh to the city, and figured maybe I could slip into your good graces and get first chance at any wares you may have brought."

Again Aeod shrugged before looking to her tent and gathering the mess of things back into a roll. "Regardless, I'm not sure you have the things I was looking to pick out -if- you're a trader..."

He pursed his lips to the side in thought and stared at the pile of tent supplies now at his feet... He seemed almost in his own little world as he'd continued to talk without waiting for a response. "Now, I've not done this but maybe once in the last few years, but I think I can help you get this set up easily enough."

Aeod bent, grabbed the edge of the tent roll, dug his heels into the ground with a grunt, and tugged the supplies away from the gate and off to the side.

"I suppose I could, -hnngh-, ask you the same, -hmmph-, question?" He tugged the tent to a suitable place as he spoke, stopping and dropping the edge of it for a moment. "What brings you to Lhavit? And where did you learn Nari? Are you also from Wind Reach?"

After the bombardment of questions, he gripped the corner and turned the roll of supplies to spread it all out. "And lastly, does this look nice enough to you for a spot?"

There were no trees hanging directly over the tent, but there was enough to block the rising Sun's rays in the mornings, and enough overhang of branches to protect the tent's entrance from direct rainfall.

Aeod smiled, looking at Velho, "If not, we can get your tent set up wherever you would like."

Why am I out here talking to a stranger? Aeod asked himself as he awaited her input for where to set up camp. At least she's nice...

Aeod
Player

Character sheet

Shiny Things

Postby Velho on January 11th, 2017, 12:00 pm

THE MAGPIE

Velho cocked her head to her left and smiled a curious, odd little smile. She chose not to respond for a while; instead, crouched and poked at a few of her meager possessions. Aeod may have been staring down at her too, but she did not see. Her back was to the young man and her eyes stayed fixed fast on her things.

Thought maybe you were a trader come fresh to the city, and figured maybe I could slip into your good graces and get first chance at any wares you may have brought...

She did not turn, but frowned to herself. "You're a magpie, then." She said this matter-of-factly, noting Aeod's reaction as she said it. She still did not look back, but if Aeod made any sudden noises or movements she'd know. She was like that. "How shiny did you want?" If the man was truly going to help her, this might be one way to pay off a debt hanging over her head. But she needed those items for survival, too. It was a double-edged sword, really. Regardless, I'm not sure you have the things I was looking to pick out -if- you're a trader...

Velho sagged back minutely, though she laughed, the sound like a fresh burst of air.

She stood, straightened her back. Aeod, on the other hand, had moved forward and bent down to heave her tent up from its packaging. Silently, Velho turned her head to track his movements - handsome as he was she did not trust him to leave off her things - she didn't want any... theft. This was not freely available information in her body language, so unless Aeod happened to be an expert at reading body language or had some funny kind of mind magic, he'd find no hint of such emotion within her.

Was it worth it, having him help her? Only now did Velho begin to consider the disadvantages. Thievery, for instance. He knew where she was. Perhaps assassination, if he ever revealed her co-ordinates. But she'd have moved on by then, so Velho relaxed only slightly and continued to watch him through her apathetic brown eyes.

She shrugged, squatted to help lift the tent with Aeod. Together, they moved to a spot with a few trees and enough shade where the more experienced man dropped the tent and she had to let go to avoid her fingers being mercilessly squished.

"Just needed to get away from home, I guess. And I was born in Wind Reach, doofus. And yeah, this seems like a good spot. A wonderful spot in fact." She hurried the last few sentences, more than eager to finish the job up. Her mount stared disinterestedly at them, then bent away to kick at the dust. The Frostmarch looked distinctly uncomfortable and attuned to the world as she was with her tingling Kelvic Senses, Velho shot a sharp look at the horse.

"Shall we get started?" Without waiting for an answer, Velho began to unfold the tent with careful motions to avoid tearing the material. She noted the clever way it folded into itself so that it was portable, but not extremely bulky. From within her pack she drew out the tent pegs, setting them down onto the ground.

"COMMON" | "NARI"
Velho
la gazza ladra

Character sheet
Journal

Shiny Things

Postby Aeod on January 12th, 2017, 5:21 am

Aeod took his eyes to the sky once more as she spoke. -Shall we get started?- He hadn't even had a chance to answer as he looked down and she began to unfold the tent. With a smile, he sat in to help her. "Yeah!" His answer seemed energetic and excited, almost like he enjoyed helping. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't, it was too early to tell.

They unfolded the tent and each grabbed a corner to stretch the tent to length. Aeod tacked his corner down and moved to the next, assuming Velho was doing the same. Once the four corners were secured, he moved to the center of his side and tacked a peg down. "This is a -big- tent..." he laughed, calling out to her on the other side. He moved to the rear of the tent and tapped the central peg into the ground as well...

He plopped back to his butt and looked at the tent coming along, waiting for Velho to finish her side of things. "So how many times have you set this thing up and taken it down?" he asked, rolling back and kicking his legs up, flipping himself to his feet and standing. Not much waiting for an answer, but more making idle talk while they set up, he grabbed the bigger wooden rods and headed inside the tent to stand it up.

He placed each mid-length rod in the corners and tied them in to place, then placed one on each side to tie down as well before exiting the tent. "Okay. All that's left should be the main tent pole for the back and center..." He smiled at Velho before plopping down on the ground and laying back to stare up at the sky.

Aeod
Player

Character sheet

Shiny Things

Postby Velho on January 15th, 2017, 11:26 pm

THE MAGPIE

Aeod, Velho decided, was a confusing enigma - that was, extremely confusing - and she kept her mind from dwelling on the things that made Aeod - well - Aeod. Or else her brain would be in terrible danger of exploding and that would be the end of a beautifully cunning, roguish youngling. She smirked at the amusing thought of such a death because absolutely no one would miss her.

She, too, took up the (rough/smooth/sharp??) tack in her smaller hands, hefting a good-sized stone once she'd gotten her tack in the corner. She steadied the peg, bringing the stone firmly down onto the thing carefully. It would also not be very nice if she'd broken all her fingers on her first day in a new place. "Hmm?" Velho hummed idly, not really listening. Aeod's words were just a buzz-buzz-buzz in her ears and herself be damned if she heard him wrong. She reverted to her natal tongue in her absence of mind, not really aware that she had in the first place. But then again, Aeod was from Wind Reach, right? Shame on him if he didn't know what she was saying.

Before she was even aware of it, Aeod had set up the inside of the tent in like.... she didn't even know. Had she really been daydreaming that much? Velho stood, brushed off her butt and circled the structure like a hawk circling in the sky. She tapped her chin, trying to figure out why the back wasn't as... firm.

"Okay. All that's left should be the main tent pole for the back and center...

Ah! Velho's face lit up, remembering that the last rod(s, she didn't know) was lying forlornly on the ground. She hurried over to haul it up - it stood almost at her height - then heard a sound of something falling heavily to the ground and shrieked in surprise. The pole fell heavily onto her foot and she shrieked again.

When she picked it up and wriggled her toes around, it didn't seem to be in too much injury - perhaps just a few bruises and minor bruising across the foot. Of course, it still hurt, but... who cared? She could still walk and run if she got enough adrenaline in her veins. And Aeod - Aeod was lying on the ground grinning up at her like a madman!

Velho huffed, and set inside the tent to complete it, pushing the pole into place. The end result was a large cavity enough to fit four people.

"...Thanks very much."

"COMMON" | "NARI"
Velho
la gazza ladra

Character sheet
Journal