Award January's Featured Contributor is Meadow!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

IC News travels slowly in Mizahar. Fortunately there is a constant stream of news from around campfires, from caravan to caravan and from merchants to merchants. Within this forum lies the best of the best of this talk. Also, within this forum, OOC news from the staff and players can be found. This forum requires all posts to be 'approved' by a Founder before they are displayed. So if you post within, be patient. Your post did display - it simply will not show to everyone until approved as actual 'news'. Please keep all Introductions, Status Updates, and various other discussions in their appropriate forums and leave this area for game news!

January's Featured Contributor is Meadow!

Postby Gossamer on January 4th, 2017, 5:40 am

Hello Fellow Mizaharians!

Keeping with our tradition, the Founders Circle and Regional Storytellers are proud to announce that the Featured Contributor of the Month of January 2017 is Meadow! Meadow has been around Mizahar for a long time. She's dedicated, persistent, and on daily. She is constantly striving to improve things and often picks up the slack where other Storyteller's drop the ball. Meadow is fun, approachable, and has a lighthearted 'lets have fun' attitude. She runs multiple PCs and has a really good overview of the game from many different perspectives. Please take a moment to read Meadow's Interview and to congratulate her on her award.

The Interview

1.You are probably one of the most improved Staffers we’ve had in a long time in terms of how far you’ve come from that very confused newbie so many years ago. Tell us a bit about that ‘journey’ and what you’ve learned along the way.

That journey actually started off really rough which was weird. I had never had so much trouble blending in to a roleplay community before. Not sure what had me so confused and out of place when I first joined about three years ago. When I let my PC hibernate, I still came back several times a week and kinda watched for an area where I felt it would be easier to slip in. Needless to say that time never came; I finally just decided to get in gear and take my PC as as serious as I had others that I used over the years.

Upon returning I was stunned and saddened to see how many of the cities had closed due to how little Sts there were, and still are. So I got serious and began to learn about Mizahar as a whole and about Endrykas specifically. At my three month mark back I signed on as a grader which helped me learn a lot about the Edrykas city and Sea of Grass. When Prophet stepped up I began talking to him about signing on as an AS of Endrykas. So when it was time I did just that and have never looked back.

2. What does your time and energy on Mizahar give you in return? A lot of people grumble about how much effort it takes to AS a domain, but the truth is most of us wouldn’t do it if it didn’t give us a ton of satisfaction and reward in doing so. What is your motivation for being here and storytelling and what keeps you here?

It gives me a sense of accomplishment, whether I really do anything or not that day. When there is nothing else for me to do at work or if I am at home relaxing in my room, I am on Miz readying threads, grading, revamping current locations, and working on new locations. Of course with Endrykas they are not used nearly as often as other other cities do. Used or not by the people of the city, I am always trying to help think of new things and places that are needed. The grading avalanche seems to never end, which keeps me plenty busy during my slow days. I've put so much of my time and heart into Mizahar that I don't think I will ever be able to leave for anything short of dying, and even then I will still be right here doing what I have come to love. Friends see me writing and working on stuff all the time and ask what I'm doing. When I explain they stare at me and just ask why I do so much with “no reward”. I tell them that the joy and excitement in the players is what pushes me to keep going.

3. What is your favorite type of thread to write, moderate, and read? What really turns your creative crank or scratches needy itches inside you when you take the time to write, moderate, or read?

That is a loaded question, I have different choices for each one. I really enjoy writing plot oriented threads with other players. Even if that means I don't get a lot of experience points. My writing is not always about the points and lore, but about getting my characters where they need to be. My favorite thread to moderate is an action packed adventure. The twists and turns with each participant's post is something to marvel at. Not only does the initial plot line challenge me, but so does their actions and reactions to the dangers that are thrown at them. Favorite to read would be information packed threads. Even if I don't get lore it is nice to be able to sit down and learn something new every time I boot up my computer and get on. Some good music, most of the time some kind of metal, or a movie that I have seen a million times helps get the juices going. Listening to the action of the dvd helps a lot when I have to try and decide what to do during most of my modded threads for sure. The kind of music really I suppose depends on the type of thread.

4. If there was one thing about the game you’d like to see expanded, what would that be? This can be something in your domain or in the game as a whole.

I would love to see the price list expanded some more for sure. It is large now but there are things that are still missing from it. Many of the animals, domesticated, are not listed on the main large price list, wines could be added, and bedding items could be added to the furnishing sections. Of course that it not just a must have by any means. It's just the most obvious one that comes to mind when I am asked that question. The only other thing that I can think of at the moment is possibly expanding the Zith lore page. From what I can see there is very little information on how their colony structure in their homes/caves is set up.

5. As a player, what contributions do you most appreciate from others? And along the same lines, of these contributions, which do you think helps you and others in the game the most?

The lore contributions is the one I appreciate the most for sure. It's nice to go see what all falls under each one. There are several skills that are often awarded, that fall under at least two other skill categories. With the lores list being gone through by the awesome players; it will be so good to see everything written out. I have no way of knowing if others are as happy to see the skill list being expanded or not. However I truly do believe that it is one of the biggest contribution that everyone can help with. No one has to be a specified anything, you dont have to be a grader to work on the skill list and you don't have to be an ST to help. There are so many still needing work though.

6.Contributors, especially when they come in the form of ST’s, have all sorts of things they love doing and hate doing. Can you compare and contrast some of the best parts of your job with some of the worst parts?

My absolute favorite and most loved thing to do is grade. It gives me a satisfied feeling knowing that I was able to help forward their progression with their skills, lores, and plotlines. Even if I don't have a grade template for Meadow, that doesn't stop me from using my pc to grade those not only in Endrykas, but also other cities. Grading in one city can become tiresome with the consistent settings; so I normally grade in several cities at once. The worst would probably be getting on to someone. It is great to help enforce the rules don't get me wrong, BUT I can sometimes come off as a bit of a bitch when I'm being stern. So the second one is a bit of a catch 22, I love it but I hate is all at once.

7.What made you choose Endrykas as the city to ST in?

Endrykas is a bit of a safe zone for me. I have had my main pc there for three years and read all the lore on it several times. That made it a safe option for me to learn in before taking on a brand new city with no knowledge on how to be a ST. Plus if I am allowed to brag, Prophet has really helped me push my limits to the edge; then completely off the cliff. Though I think my time in Endrykas is coming to an end.

8.As a sort of follow up to question number seven, if you can, would you tell us a bit about your plans for the future as an ST? Are you planning on moving up to DS? Will you stay in Endryks or are you looking at other locations?

I will for sure be moving up to DS very soon. I am actually looking at a few different locations that have caught my eye, but it will probably take the rest of the season. At least before I make my decision and talk it over with a few other STs. It may take me a little time to get the city up and running once I take over, but hopefully it won't be a long process.

9.What has been your favorite thing to develop or work on so far? Is there anything you’re super hyped about to work on in the future?

That is a tough one, I have developed a lot of things, but my favorites are the three locations I did during the weekend challenge we had a while back. Locations can prove to be the hardest and yet most rewarding challenge ever. I am defiantly hyped to move up and see what I can do in a new domain. I am working on another city with Gossamer's approval, but most of my location work has been in Endrykas for sure. To look around and see what all can be given to the players is the challenge I put in front of myself and plan to step up in the very near future.

10.If you were taken from real life and plopped down into the center of Mizahar, knowing what you know as an ST of this game, where would you want to ‘land’ and what would you do?

I would have to be dropped down in Riverfall or Syliras. Even though I know a lot about how to survive in Endrykas, I know there is no way that I would survive on the Sea of Grass. One main flaw that I left out of my characters that plagues me is that I have an irrational fear of heights. So I can mount a horse, but it really freaks me out and the process to get up there takes forever. Therefore best to stick with the two cities that do not require me to get very high off the ground for sure. As far as work I would love to do something outside like work with animals or even maybe blacksmithing. Both seem like a really cool and interesting job to have.

11.Here’s your soap box. Is there anything you want to say to folks?

I would say to not be afraid to join us as a ST. We may seem like a bunch of assholes, but in reality we just want to have fun and bullshit around. Though this commitment is not one to be taken lightly; aside from all the fun we do major planning before hand. As well as keep tabs on each other just in case someone is going to be missing for a long time.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Naida on January 4th, 2017, 9:59 pm

Congrats, Meadow!
Naida
Player

Words: 3024
Joined roleplay: December 9th, 2016, 3:01 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on January 7th, 2017, 4:24 pm

Congrats Meadow! Very rewarding. Keep up the good work! :)

"With a heart of steel, I raise my blade in combat. The only thoughts I have in my mind is whether I'd return home to my family. I am a soldier, and will fight for love and peace. That is the way of being a Syliran Knight"-Ferrin.

Sig :
Dimensions Changed to: 300x150 pixels.

Credits to Prophet for making this amazing Sig. He does a great job!
I'm Open To Guest Storytelling Let Me Know, and I'll See What I Can Do!
|| Syliras Lore * Syliras * Plotnotes * My Scrap *Ferrins CS ||
Ferrin Al'Mandrikan
Loving Family Man - Protective Squire

Words: 705389
Joined roleplay: July 16th, 2015, 1:02 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Artist (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Ornea on January 7th, 2017, 5:28 pm

Congratulations Meadow!
Ornea
Player

Words: 354504
Joined roleplay: September 17th, 2014, 11:03 am
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Yisanareysin on January 8th, 2017, 3:39 am

Congratulations!
ImageImageImage
Yisanareysin
Sneaky Snake Spy Extraordinaire

Words: 314458
Joined roleplay: June 8th, 2014, 7:40 am
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes