Closed Shock and Awe (Roselina)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Shock and Awe (Roselina)

Postby Dovey on January 29th, 2017, 6:15 am

39 Winter, 516 AV

It was a good day, relatively speaking. Dovey might have woken up crying, but by the time she'd dressed and eaten she had herself under good control. She set her empty bowl down on the rickety table, chewing thoughtfully on the inside of her cheek as she gazed across the room at one of the bare walls surrounding her. There were no windows; her apartment was, like most in Syliras, tucked deep within the fortified interior of Stormhold. Safe - she guessed. Safe but stuffy. Or today, maybe closer to suffocating. She went to crack the door, taking in a breath of marginally fresher air from the hallway-street outside.

Dovey rested a shoulder against the doorframe, standing crooked as her eyes drifted idly over the Sylirans passing by. She was up early, she thought, judging by the smaller size of the crowds; still, Syliras was no village and the streets were far from deserted. Folk chattered to each other as they strolled past her door, bathing her in their soothing noise, and she came to a decision. Today was a good day, but if she stayed inside on her own for much longer, it wouldn't remain that way. She needed a walk.

She ducked back inside for a moment, snatching her key and tucking it into her pocket before heading out the door. Almost instantly she felt better; the knot in her stomach loosened and, surrounded by the stream of people, her breath began to steady. She let her feet carry her on the route she'd learned best during her short time in the city, and soon found herself upon the roofless thoroughfare leading down to the city gates from Maiden District.

The air was clearer here, and Dovey sucked in deep lungfuls of it as she walked. A man jostled her in passing; children wove through the crowd, giggling as one chased the other; someone nearby was humming tunelessly. Still a good day, yet Dovey found her mind would not remain present, turning back instead to thoughts of her mother. She shook her head in annoyance, forcing her expression back to neutral for fear of more tears, and cast about for something to distract herself with.

There. She made her way with some difficulty to the side of the street, where hung a large poster on the rough stone wall. She had seen these around, but she hadn't yet read one; what could they be, after all, but some boring Knightly affair? Now, though, this one might provide her with a chime of distraction - snap her out of her mood. She moved closer, squinting at the marks on the page.

Dovey was not much of a reader. She knew her letters, true, but deciphering them was hardly second nature. Her finger traced along the lines of print as she murmured each word aloud.

"It has come to our attention that the goddess Morwen has refused to do her duty this season..." Garland had told her about that. She continued stumblingly on, frowning in concentration. It sounded as if this notice had been written by the gods. And... repercussions?

"We have the support of the other gods in this endee... endav... oh, endeavor. We will hunt down every follower of Morwen - every single marked member of her 'family' - and call for their - their death. What?!"

Disbelievingly she went over the sentence again, then read on as if in a dream, shaping the words silently with her lips. Outright slaughter... bounty on the bodies of any follower... then a long section on what the missing winter would do to the land. She felt dizzy. She had known a Vantha girl in Kenash, and liked her at that. And wasn't there a Vantha dynasty back home as well? Surely they were immune to the slaughter - but if the gods themselves wished it...

The last section of text described the appearance of the Vantha, and below that was a sketch of Morwen's gnosis mark. Dovey stared at it, uncomprehending. They were really... because winter hadn't come... and she'd been glad to avoid the cold! Had everyone known except her? She glanced back into the busy street, eyes darting across the mass of moving faces and colors and shapes, before her hand darted out to clutch impulsively at the shoulder of a passing young woman. "Excuse me, miss," she said, somewhat breathlessly, "but have you seen this?"
"Common" "Fratava" "Pavi"
Dovey
One unlucky girl

Words: 221497
Joined roleplay: December 31st, 2016, 10:42 am
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

Shock and Awe (Roselina)

Postby Roselina on January 29th, 2017, 10:04 am

Roses fall, however thorns remain.

Roselina had woken early that day, had lounged in her apartment for a bit before deciding that she didn't want to be cramped inside to day. She didn't need to work, which she was glad about, yet she didnt want to sit still. So she headed out, likely to end up in a tavern or the fighters pits.

Walking through the streets, her feet clattering across the round, she tried to decide what to do, weaving her way through the crowds of people, something she was used to doing, having lived in the busy city for the whole of her life.

She had to find something to do, as she knew she would end up lost in her thoughts if she didn't, and that never did end well, keeping herself distracted was a must.

She could go to the fighter's pit, and practice with her dagger, or with another weapon that they had there. She had a feeling if she went to a tavern, that she would end up getting into some kind of trouble, and not being able to control herself.

Perhaps working would be best for today, though she didn't have anything on her to con people with, so maybe she shouldn't. She found that while she had been thinking about what to do, that she hadn't been concentrating on where she was walking, and a girl grabbed onto her, saying an 'Excuse me' and asking if she had seen something.

Roselina turned around seeing what the girl was looking at, she looked distressed, so she looked at the apparent cause of it.

The poster was covered in writing, with a drawing at the end of it. Reading through it quickly, having learnt how to when she was very young, she realised it was one of the posters explaining the events of this winter, the Vantha being targeted, and Morwen not spreading the cold weather. The sketch at the end of the writing was a picture of Morwen's gnosis.

Roselina hadn't seen the posters, but rather heard about what was happening through muttering in taverns and on the streets, hearinof it through people she had talked to, rather than reading the poster.

"I have seen it, I take it that you haven't yet? You seem shocked." She asked curiously, her words slightly annoyed at being grabbed, but not unfriendly.

Personally, she didn't think that the Vantha deserved punishment for what Morwen had done, but she understood that it was what had been decided, so she didn't speak out against it or attempt to help, it wasn't her problem

"It's a shame, isn't it? A waste of life, I'd say." She wouldn't, no couldn't, sat anything more against it. She didn't want to be mistaken for someone who wanted to help them.
Spring threads 0/3
Character Sheet
Roselina
Charismatic Con

Words: 62756
Joined roleplay: November 27th, 2016, 11:24 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Shock and Awe (Roselina)

Postby Dovey on February 1st, 2017, 2:17 am

"No, I hadn't seen it!" Still slightly breathless, Dovey glanced back and forth between the poster and the young stranger's face. "It's, I mean, it's..." Biting her lip she searched for a word, something which would do justice to the visceral horror of what she had just read. They were killing the Vantha, all of them, or trying to - from the Freeborn girl she had known to those far away in Avanthal, with their strange customs she had heard tell of, and their goddess living among them. This was absurd, it mustn't be true... and yet it clearly was. The gods themselves had both written and signed the death warrant. Bala of the harvest, wild Sivah, Tavasi whom she had learned to venerate while still a child in Kenash. How could Dovey...?

"It's shocking," she said at last. "Horrible shame, but..." Her stomach tightened violently and she decided against finishing that sentence. Eyes flickering upward a moment later, she realized her hand remained on the woman's shoulder. "Oh! I'm sorry, I still have a hold of you," she said sheepishly, drawing her arm back down softly to her side. "I've been startled out of my manners. Excuse me."

She glanced back to the poster, gaze drawn in by the sketch at the bottom. It was beautiful, really; the intricate design of a stylized snowflake, it must look even lovelier when traced in color on living skin. A gift from a goddess, and now it was a death sentence. But no, she couldn't think this way, she couldn't - look now, she was ignoring the woman who'd stopped, and it was Dovey's own fault that the woman had been delayed from going on her way -

She turned again to the woman, a tight little smile unsteady on her face. "I ought to introduce myself," she said, her voice a bit shaky. "I'm Dovey. What's your name?"

"Sorry to stop you like that," she went on, after a pause of several ticks to allow the woman to answer her previous question. "I was just so, so surprised..." She waved a hand in an unconvincing dismissal of her shock. "It's very strange. I wonder why Morwen didn't just do her duty. She could have avoided this!" A bit too much distress had crept into her tone there; Dovey smothered it, rearranging her smile artificially on her face. No more than lukewarm sadness was acceptable, not enough to make it seem that she opposed the killing. She could not go against the gods - all the gods, the poster had said - even in conversation she couldn't do it. That was too much, too far. It was simply not allowed.
Dovey
One unlucky girl

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Mizahar Grader (1)

Shock and Awe (Roselina)

Postby Roselina on February 1st, 2017, 8:19 pm

Getting a proper look at the girl now, she seemed to be younger than her, still a child in Roselina's opinion, though who was she to decide that. Perhaps someone younger would be more shocked by the news, or maybe is was just how this person was.

It hadn't been a shock to her that this had happened, she had seen to much for it to shock her now, there wasn't much that could anymore. However this girl seemed horrified by what she had found out.

The girl eventually taking her hand of off her shoulder from where she grabbed Roselina, and apologising, she looked back at the poster for a moment, before turning back to her.

She introduced herself as Dovey, her voice was noticeably shaky, and asked what she was called. She answered, her tone friendly. "My name is Roselina."

Dovey apologised for stopping her, and explaining why, dismissing her shock with a wave of her hand. Roselina noticed that it didn't seem that convincing, almost faked. A smile grew on her face, and her tone was slightly odd.

Roselina didn't understand why Morwen had done this either, it seemed a waste, and she had thought that the goddess would care more for her marked, and for the vantha whom she marked so often.

She hadn't heard of any reason for the goddess neglecting her duties, and not spreading winter. Though she was sure there had to be a reason for it, as it had caused a cruel punishment.

"It is strange, I can't imagine why Morwen would do something so awful, we need the winter after all. I'm sure the goddess had a reason for this, but it still isn't fair on the Vantha."

Her tone was quieter, for a worry of being attacked herself. She was sure that most wouldn't be bothered with someone who appeared to think the killings were underserved, but she was sure that there was fanatics. People who would want to hurt anyone who disagreed it
Spring threads 0/3
Character Sheet
Roselina
Charismatic Con

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Shock and Awe (Roselina)

Postby Dovey on February 7th, 2017, 9:47 pm

Dovey nodded and bobbed a sort of half-curtsy, polite smile frozen on her face, as the woman gave her name. "It's good to meet you, Roselina." Her new acquaintance was calmer than she, Dovey noticed dimly, less horrified by the news, or else she was a very good actor. Nevertheless, Roselina seemed to share Dovey's distaste for the killings, and her next words confirmed that impression neatly.

"It is strange, I can't imagine why Morwen would do something so awful, we need the winter after all. I'm sure the goddess had a reason for this, but it still isn't fair on the Vantha."

Roselina was quieter now, almost furtive in tone. Dovey bit the inside of her cheek, glancing warily out into the passing crowds. Was this the same nervousness Dovey felt, expressing sympathy for those the gods had condemned, or had she missed some danger? But there was nothing out of the ordinary that she could see, and after a moment she turned her gaze back to Roselina with a worried little sigh. "I wonder if she's trying to punish the other gods for something?" She shrugged, eyebrows flicking up in expression of her bewilderment. "The other Seasons, I mean. If Morwen doesn't show up, they won't be able to do everything they normally do. Grow all their crops and all."

Dovey's lips tightened and she scuffed a boot on the street. "I don't know, that's probably not right. I just wish she'd do her duty. She's hurting everybody this way."

Dovey's voice too pitched quieter on the last sentence she spoke. She knew, realistically, that lamenting the deaths of the Vantha was not the same thing as defying the gods' command - especially as both she and Roselina had placed the blame on Morwen, not the rest of the Seasons. But these were all the gods they were discussing - good and evil, death-bringing and life-giving - and she could not shake the prickling sensation down her spine. What if - what if - she and Roselina had judged wrong? What if this was sedition, and the wrong pair of ears overheard?

That was nonsense, this wasn't dangerous talk. It wasn't treason, wasn't defiance. Obviously it wasn't.

But if it was?

(OOC: Sorry for the wait!)
Dovey
One unlucky girl

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Mizahar Grader (1)

Shock and Awe (Roselina)

Postby Roselina on February 15th, 2017, 6:16 pm

"Its good to meet you too." She smiled politely, though the girls nests words seemed odd.

What reason would Morwen have to punish th other Gods? Though, Dovey did have a point. Her words were true, it would possibly mean that everyone would struggle through the her, for crops.

"That makes sense, I suppose. Though I don't see a reason why she would want to punish the other Gods. It seems a rather petty thing to do, it clearly brought punishment upon those who she marked and the Vantha, all for vengeance or punishment?"

No one seemed to pay any attention to the two, but she was still worried. She was tempted to end this conversation right now, to prevent herself from anymore danger. Though, she was certainly curious of what the girl thought about the killing, as Roselina hadn't had a chance to discuss it with anyone before now.

Dovey was right about it harming everyone. It was causing chaos at times, and innocent people were being targeted now. Roselina felt badly about what, no one deserved to be terrorised like that.

She wondered how many were still in the city, how many marked and how many vantha. Hopefully a lot of them had managed to get out before the news had begun to spread, and peoplepeople had started to hunt.

"I wonder what she thought would happen from this, truly there doesn't seem to be much else that could have happened from this."

A group of knights walked past, and Roselina went silent, the implications of anyone knowing she was against this was awful, she didn't want death or torture. She had lived too long to be caught over something like this.
Spring threads 0/3
Character Sheet
Roselina
Charismatic Con

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Shock and Awe (Roselina)

Postby Dovey on February 18th, 2017, 6:04 am

Dovey nodded. "You're right, it does seem petty," she replied, frowning. "I just can't think what other reason she might have had." Then again, gods were strange; Laviku's gales and Makutsi's rain often came seemingly at random, without any rhyme or reason behind their appearances. Why should Morwen not act in the same way, on her own whim? Still, she had put herself in danger by her action as well as her followers - that seemed like more than the usual inscrutability of the gods.

Dovey shook her head, unable to find any answer which would lessen her bewilderment. "I can't make heads or tails of it," she admitted, glancing into the face of her new acquaintance. Roselina looked worried, she noticed, and the realization didn't exactly soothe her own jangling nerves. Maybe she should never have begun this conversation - but no, their talk was tame, it couldn't possibly be dangerous. Not in Syliras, city of peace. Not after everything Mother had said about this place.

She blinked, swallowed, and pushed aside the past. Roselina was speaking again.

"I wonder what she thought would happen from this," the older woman mused, "truly there doesn't seem to be much else that could have happened from this."

Dovey nodded. "I know, that's what's so - " she began, then fell silent, following Roselina's gaze into the street. A patrol of knights in shining plate was passing by. She would have brazened through nonetheless, clinging to her shaky assurance that they had said nothing treasonous, but for Roselina's alarm. Instead she watched the group go by, keeping her silence until they had disappeared round the next turning. Then she laughed, a little nervously. "Look at us," she said. "Standing here acting like we're conspiring against the Magistrate, when we're only gossiping - or no, sorry, not the Magistrate. The... the..." She frowned, brow furrowing. "Who does rule Syliras, anyway? I'm new here, from Kenash," she added by way of explanation.
Dovey
One unlucky girl

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Mizahar Grader (1)

Shock and Awe (Roselina)

Postby Roselina on February 20th, 2017, 2:28 pm

"Oh, you're new here?" She smiled at the girl, genuinely curious. Roselina had never left the city, it was easier to stay and dissapear in the crowds, as people didn't usually find her again throughout the place. People forgot her face, as there was so many people.

She had heard of Kenash before, though only in passing conversations. The woman had wondered what the world outside of Syrilas was like, though despite her curiosity, she had never had a real reason to leave. Perhaps one day she would, probably because she got on the wrong persons nerves.

"I've always wondered what it's like outside of Syrilas, I've lived here my whole life." Roselina stopped her wondering, returning to what she had actually been asked. "Anyway, the knights are in charge of here; I don't like them much though - always watching and patrolling." She added the last part like an afterthought, though it occurred to her that she probably shouldn't speak like that sometimes.

"And you're right, we aren't doing anything wrong, though I heard that things have happened to people who aren't vantha or marked. Just for speaking out. It could just be rumours though."

She didn't want to be one of them, even if the things she had heard were just lies, it wouldn't do her any good to be overheard talking about it. It didn't seem like anyone was listening to them though, hopefully she was right that no one was listening.

"Why did you even move, here anyway? It's pretty dull here." Roselina, if she was honest, didn't mind it here, but it was boring at times, as not much happened, not with the knights watching all the time.

People continued to walk past, and luckily none seemed to have noticed their talk of the Vantha.
Spring threads 0/3
Character Sheet
Roselina
Charismatic Con

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Shock and Awe (Roselina)

Postby Dovey on February 26th, 2017, 3:40 am

Dovey nodded, eyes brightening at Roselina's smile. She hadn't yet made the acquaintance of many Sylirans, so it was good to see that the other woman was still interested in conversing now that the topic had changed to more personal matters. "Your whole life?" she replied to Roselina's next statement, eyebrows flicking upward. Then she chuckled. "I don't know why I'm so surprised, I've lived in Kenash my whole life up till now. I suppose I can't really imagine anyone living in this city, permanently, yet. It's very strange here."

She nodded at Roselina's answer to her question, giving a thoughtful frown. She hadn't known the knights were in charge here; she'd thought they worked for the ruler of Syliras, rather than running it themselves. And Roselina's opinion of the knights surprised Dovey a little, too; considering how easygoing Garland was, she wouldn't have expected such a solidly negative view of his group. But perhaps he was one of a few good ones, or perhaps Roselina simply felt the natural resentment of any ordinary person toward their rulers.

"And you're right, we aren't doing anything wrong," Roselina added, "though I heard that things have happened to people who aren't Vantha or marked. Just for speaking out. It could just be rumors though."

Dovey shivered, involuntarily and almost imperceptibly. Just like that, the conversation's previous taint of fear had slammed back down over her. Maybe Syliras wasn't so safe after all. Had anyone hostile overheard their talk? Were they being watched? Would Dovey be followed home? No, of course not, she tried to reassure herself, we're not planning anything - we're not even opposing the order too strongly. People must have better things to do. But Roselina's words had affected her all the same, and it was with difficulty that she dragged her mind away from her fears and back to the harmless small talk they were presently engaged in.

"Why did you even move here anyway? It's pretty dull here," Roselina offered. Perhaps she was trying to lighten the mood once more, but considering the circumstances of Dovey's journey to Syliras, the question had the opposite effect. The Kenashian forced a smile, thinking how to answer. She couldn't mention Mother, or Father for that matter, because then Roselina would want to know more about Dovey's family, and Dovey couldn't bear answering that kind of question. But what else could she say? Mother had dragged her here, there was no other reason Dovey had come -

"Kenash is dangerous," she replied. "And work doesn't pay much. I heard it was better here, so I came."

It wasn't exactly a lie. Those were a couple of the reasons her mother had dragged her here. All she'd done was transfer those motivations to herself, pretend she hadn't been perfectly satisfied with her work at the Askara Livery, act as if she wouldn't take Kenash and all its dangers in a heartbeat over the dead stone of this roofed-off city...

All right, petch it. So she'd lied. So what?
Dovey
One unlucky girl

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Mizahar Grader (1)

Shock and Awe (Roselina)

Postby Roselina on March 23rd, 2017, 9:27 pm

"I suppose it would be pretty strange to an outsider, but it's all normal for me. I would find other cities unusual, I think. I've never really gone anywhere else."

The girl told her that Kenash was dangerous, and it was odd that somewhere that people lived was unsafe. Syrilas, was if anything safe for the majority of the time. The knights protected everyone, despite her being one of the people they were supposed to be protecting from. At least there wasn't murderers or attacks that often, a con-artist like herself wasn't that big a deal.

She knew everything she did wasn't normal, wasn't what was usually labeled as a 'good person'. Yet, what she would doing would likely have made her brother happy, if he was here, and Roselina owed Florian everything. He taught her to fight, to steal and to con. As well as the people she had stayed with too. They had been there after they got away from mother and father, he had been there for her.

If she went back on everything that had kept themselves alive, then she herself would be an idiot. It was everything she knew, so why stop conning people? At least, that was what she told herself. She told herself that, and that she was still doing this to keep Florian's memory alive. Maybe the image she had in her mind was through the eyes of a child, yet it was all she had.

The conversation had turned into small talk, meaningless conversation. Yet it was safer than talking about the Vantha, much safer. Honestly, she was kind of curious about Kenash, and anywhere else that she hadn't been. The furthest she had gone was a little way away from the city where she had lived in a tent with the group they had found after the twins had ran away.

"What was Kenash like?" She paused for a second, thinking it perhaps might have been rude to ask. "Oh, you don't have to tell me about it if you don't want to." Perhaps it would bring up bad memories if it was dangerous.
Spring threads 0/3
Character Sheet
Roselina
Charismatic Con

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Next