Closed What Men Do to Trees (Loken)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

What Men Do to Trees (Loken)

Postby Karyk on April 13th, 2017, 8:22 pm

Timestamp: Spring 33 517 AV

Karyk's morning routine was already finished. He'd already eaten, washed and dressed. And as he strolled through the Mithryn Pass to the wilds, he whistled a light tune, ignoring the High Guard that stood by. He had the day off, and wanted to get some lumber for himself. Maybe to build some furniture or toys for Natya's kids. Maybe both. He'd wanted to improve on picking out trees for differing types of lumber, and that simply took practice.

He had his bundle of axes slung over his shoulder along with his pack full of carving gear and other supplies, his hand axe hanging loosely from his belt. This was the first time he'd returned to the wilds in two tendays, ever since he and others were sent out to fetch some lumber for the shipyard. What a fiasco that turned out to be. But one had to get back in the surf or always drown.

He knew he needed to get better than he was with that hand axe of his. He was practically useless with it, possibly even more of a danger to himself or others. It was dumb to be out here without being able to defend himself confidently. But how did one go about learning to fight without running foul of the law or joining the law? He couldn't really afford a combat instructor, and couldn't just go about asking people to fight. He had no idea how or where to begin.

Karyk continued on through the pass, enjoying the unique scent of forest air mixed with salt water. He loved this town, and found himself often conflicted. Were there other places in the world as nice as this one? Or was this the best there was? He wanted to explore the seas without leaving his family behind. But he wasn't a sailor, just a shipbuilder. He'd never see the world like those people did. He'd never build his own town, one just as nice as this, from the wilds.

He plodded along next to a creek, looking into its waters, seeing small fish come to and fro. He'd always fished on the coast from the safety of the city, but maybe he should try to branch out and come here. Learn the wilds better, learn to defend himself, learn the trees better. His job was combining the forest and ocean for others' benefits.

He changed tunes that he was whistling as he made his way westward. He was looking for any mature cedar, fir, or oak trees, not too big. Karyk didn't believe in being wasteful, so he wanted one he could make the most of. He took out his hand axe as he walked, and began swinging it in front of him. He remembered those wolves from earlier in the season. He stopped walking, remembering how that first wolf leapt at him. He'd flinched, getting an arm up instead of attacking. What would have been the better option. He swung the axe in a sloppy downward arc. Cleaving it in the skull? He tried a sideways swing to catch it in the ribs. That had worked, albeit later in the struggle. He continued practicing swings at the fictional wolf, until finally his grip slipped and the axe flew several feet away and lodged itself into a maple.

Karyk sighed and started making his way over to retrieve it. He'd never have let that happen with one of his work axes. He needed to take this more seriously. Somehow.
Follow your heart, and the plot will follow.
Karyk
Player

Words: 273057
Joined roleplay: April 4th, 2017, 4:34 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

What Men Do to Trees (Loken)

Postby Asterope on December 23rd, 2017, 3:10 pm

The Sun Has Risen

And so have your grades!

Karyk

Skills
✧Observation +1 XP
✧Weapon: Handaxe +1 XP

Lores
✧Being Able to Defend Oneself is Important
✧Zeltiva: The Best the World Has to Offer?
✧Pick Smaller Trees to Cut to Avoid Being Wasteful
✧Fighting a (Fictional) Wolf: What's the Best Way?

Notes
I wish I could give you more for this! It looked like it could have been a fun read. Also, this is my first ever grade, so please be kind lol! I was pretty thorough, but if you think I missed anything, please do send me a PM.

Thank you for your patience! As always, please edit or delete your request in the grading queue; and if you have any questions or concerns about your grades, please don't hesitate to get in touch with me!

The sun will rise, and we will try again
Asterope
A light that never goes out

Words: 661387
Joined roleplay: August 16th, 2017, 11:11 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Overlored (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)
Power Fork (1)