Solo Jaws

A gambling shark

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Jaws

Postby Aladari Coolwater on November 15th, 2016, 3:18 pm

Timestamp: 42nd of Fall, 516 AV

Aladari never grew bored of fishing. Though some complained that it was more waiting than doing, or more social than physical, all she had to do was remember the high of hooking a fish or the comfortable burn of rope in her hands, and she knew she was right. A girl belongs by the water.

Of course, that didn't mean she never lost her patience with the sport.

Some days it did seem that all she could do was sit and think, and the faint reminder of that high was all she had to hold on to. Today just happened to be one of those days.

In the absence of excitement, Aladari leaned back lax in her seat on the edge of the dock with her back against her sack full of supplies so she could watch Syna rise. As the sun made its painfully slow trek, Aladari let herself fall into a daydream about Isur-sized fish for fry, and a boat so smooth on the water it felt like flying. It was all rather peaceful for the first few ticks, just sharing headspace with Syna and Laviku. Then came the humans.

"An' I told him!" The sailor howled with laughter.
"That's that kinda discount whore!" He continued to whoop and snort his way down the dock, his companion clapping his back in an equal state of hilarity.

"That's whatcha get. Hmm, that's what I told him." The voice trailed off as he neared the fisherwoman at the end of the dock. "Aye!" He barked, already beginning to giggle again. "There's that whore now!"

Aladari closed her eyes tightly, as if it might render her invisible to the offenders. Unfortunately for her,
It would do no such thing. A hand on her shoulder reassured her of this.

"Aye, I'm talkin' to you, little one." He whispered near her head in a single heavy, alcohol-laced breath.

Little one?! Aladari couldn't keep her eyes from slamming open to glare at the man. A hot breath made its way out through her nose in a tense snort not unlike a bull's.

"Oh, there she is." Crooked teeth grinned down at her. "Hey, Potter! She's not even dead yet. Could be a good one, huh?"

"Please, Sir." She said through gritted teeth, "I'm workin' 'ere, an' yer scarin' all my fishes away."

The man recoiled as if he'd been hit. For a tick, he feined offense, but then his facade crumbled into laughter. "Oh, we're scarin' away your fish? You sure you ain't just a bad fisher, huh?"

That, naturally, was the last straw. Her eyes flashed an unnatural black darker than night, and her jaw clenched. But after the initial flare or anger, a plan hatched, and she forced herself to loosen her muscles.

"Maybe I am." She agreed with a sigh. "Maybe you two could learn me somethin', though? An' then I could give you somethin' in return?" She hoped desperately that he would pick up on the hint, as flirting was never her forte. Of course, when the idea was already on his mind, it was much easier to suggest.

Word Count516
Last edited by Aladari Coolwater on June 5th, 2017, 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The sea always filled her with longing, though for what she was never sure."
- Cornelia Funke
Aladari Coolwater
Rock the boat.

Words: 267621
Joined roleplay: March 8th, 2016, 3:26 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1)

Jaws

Postby Aladari Coolwater on April 24th, 2017, 2:36 am

The flirting could have been so subtle it was non-existant, amd the man still would've bitten. He raised his brow and winked in what he must have assumed to be a sly manner.

"Is that so, Lassie? Well, ain't no one better to learn from than us." He assured her, taking a seat beside her. "Name's Goldie." He told her, flashing a single golden canine tooth in the corner of his mouth. "My partner over there is Potter. Neither of us is fishermen by trade, but we don't half-ass nothing, so we're pretty good at the fishing for a hobby too."

Aladari nodded in feigned interest, her eyes silently swathed in angry black and a faint purple of scheming that the men could not decode.

"Aye," He continued, "I see you got your pole. That's a good start. But how about you reel that in and let me see what kinda bait you're using."

Biting her tongue, Aladari obeyingly reeled in her line. As she did so, she could hear Goldie click against his teeth in disapproval.

"Not good, Lassie."

"Aladari." She muttered under her breath.

"I can already see you ain't got a good enough knot on that line."

Aladari frowned as she pulled the line up to pool into her hand. What's wrong with my knots? She did them the same way her Pa had taught her. It was just two simple knots tied together for support, but she figured that since it hadn't broken yet, there was no reason to change it.

"No," He said, "Let me teach you."

For the next few chimes, Goldie explained how to tie a "Clinch Knot", as he called it. His hands were surprisingly nimble, and despite the rage boiling under her skin, Aladari found herself calmed down by the rhythm enough to actually learn.

"Yup, now wrap it around itself a few times- 5 or 6 at least. Now pull the end back up through your loop...There you go!" He clapped her on the back, nearly causing her to break the knot as she yanked on it. "See, we'll make you competent yet!"

There was the condescension again, tweaking her nerves and forcing her to take a deep breath to contain herself. "Sure thin', Sir." She told him. "What else kin I do?"

"Well, what about we look at that bait, huh? Whatcha usin'?"

Aladari held up the bowl from her fishing kit, revealing a can full of worms bathing in ice. "Jus' worms. They's easier to use, ya know." She added for emphasis on her own mock stupidity.

Goldie nodded sympathetically. "But they's not gonna catch much bigger than a snapper."

"A snapper?" This question was genuine curiosity, and though she hated to play it up anymore than she had to, she might as well learn something from this insufferable man.

"Aye, snappers. They's bout this big," He held up his hands about a foot apart. "And they's all solid colors. Red an' brown mostly. You've probably got lots of them already an' just didn't know it."

Thinking back, Aladari could remember loving the small, whitefish flesh, and thriving on their sale. Rather than announce this, she shrugged and gave a dumb smile, encouraging the man to go on.

"Then what's I s'posed to use?"
Word Count546
"The sea always filled her with longing, though for what she was never sure."
- Cornelia Funke
Aladari Coolwater
Rock the boat.

Words: 267621
Joined roleplay: March 8th, 2016, 3:26 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook