Closed [Sunset Falls] Rendezvous

Aladari meets Grim once again, under very different circumstances

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Stretching northward along the coastline of the Suvan Sea, the Cobalt Mountains are the home of the Bronze Wood, numerous ruins, and creatures both strange and fantastical.

[Sunset Falls] Rendezvous

Postby Aladari Coolwater on February 24th, 2017, 5:19 pm

19th of Winter, 516 AV

"Is Laviku in charge of the fall waters, you think?" Aladari asked Tar aloud.

Being closer to the wilds for the past few days had made Aladari consider the Gods more and more. Especially Laviku was on her mind, and she thought that perhaps there was a reason she had been drawn to the falls that morning.

"I know He is busy in the seas, but I feel Him here, I think. It is faint, though, and less powerful than He. Perhaps He has a child." She mused.

Her mother had told her a few tales of Laviku's promiscuity when she was young, but Aladari could not recall anything of his children- save that they were numerous. Her mother had even tried to convince her that Laviku had spent a night at their house before her father came around. Aladari smiled to herself at the memory. Though it clearly wasn't true, it was still a fun story to tell and to listen to, especially in the flowing Vani tongue. Aladari had always thought she might pass on the tall tale someday, if she ever happened to grow close enough to a young believer.

For now, though, the only one she knew well enough was her mutt.

"You want to hear a story, Tar?" She asked, but the dog merely sauntered off to take a sip of the waters.

Regardless of the lack of companionship, Aladari was glad she had come. She had heard that the falls were spectacular in the evening, but in the morning they were quite beautiful as well. This morning as she leaned back on the grass, the sunrise painted the fall waters pink, red, and deep blue as it rose. It threw the light onto the ground in rainbows of color. They were the colors of a rose in budding and in bloom, and the richest waves in the sea. They were sweet, ripe fruits hanging from a tree, and warm red sand beneath her feet.

Aladari closed her eyes and smiled. She missed the hidden beauty of Sunberth, of course, but here there was beauty, too, if only in a different form.

Word Count352
"The sea always filled her with longing, though for what she was never sure."
- Cornelia Funke
Aladari Coolwater
Rock the boat.

Words: 267621
Joined roleplay: March 8th, 2016, 3:26 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1)

Postby Grim Ravenwood on February 24th, 2017, 7:04 pm

¤

"What are you complaining about, i'm doing all the walking..." Grim asked the dark avian petched at his shoulder, a hint of annoyance evident in the tone of his slightly weary voice. Dusk would stay silent in response, although the robed man doubted that he understood what he meant.

The Sun hadn't yet risen behind the Cobalt Mountains when the Eiyon decided to take a walk to where he had received his latest injury. Still, even now he was quite far from his destination. Then again, maybe he wasn't, and it was just behind the next tree. He would sigh at the thought that getting lost had became a new habit of his. It used to be much simpler in Sunberth.

A faint smile would climb into the corner of his lips as Grim remembered his father's stories, he too had gotten lost many times during his travels. Still, unlike his son, the great Asfar never ventured into a forest next to his home and loose his way. The Eyion could picture the look of disapproval on his father's face.

Even lost, he had to admit that the forest's surrounding Syliras were beautiful, and not only to the eye. His nose would pick up the scent of dead leaves that the cold winds brought as they blew down the mountain tops. The tranquil silence was something he learnt to appreciate, even after living in Syliras less than three weeks. The city itself was too noisy for his taste, and far too strict. Sure, the probability of getting shanked for whatever you have in your purse was significantly lower than in his home city, but it lacked...

Lost in his thoughts, Grim failed to calculate the safest spot to land his foot. Of course, as soon as he began loosing his balance, his faithful companion abandoned the ship that was carrying him, seeking refugee in the branches of a nearby tree. On the other hand, the Eyion went pummeling down, yet not stopping as his torso connected to the ground. Rather, being located on top of a small hill, he rolled down - in a rather unceremonial way, his scythe following closely behind.

As the roll lost it's speed, and slowly turned into a slide, Grim noted several things. Firstly, that there was a silent stream not far from the earth his face was buried in currently, secondly, it would appear that an unknown pair of human and doggy feet were planted right in front of his face.

Grim as an Eiyon, appears to undead as either something to be fearful, or weary of, depending on their personal power. To others, he might seem like a mystery, or just odd.
Grim Ravenwood
You reap what you sow~

Words: 124151
Joined roleplay: June 30th, 2016, 1:54 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal

Postby Aladari Coolwater on February 26th, 2017, 5:26 am

Tar's bark interrupted any previous thought. Aladari's eyes snapped open and she jumped to her feet, ready for the attack headed by her faithful guard dog.

What she found was less than threatening.

A man was crumpled at her feet, laying on the ground in the muddy banks of the pool. Tar backed away as he continued to growl, and Aladari rolled her eyes. "Calm down, mutt. I've got this under control, I think."

Though it wasn't a clear command, the dog recognized the Vani as calm, and he calmed as well, even trotting over to expect his newfound friend as any house pet might greet a stranger.

As Tar arrived, another object came tumbling down from behind them. The object that followed the man was a scythe, which flopped nearly as unceremoniously as he at the bottom of the slight hill. It was a unique weapon, which took Aladari by surprise. She had only ever known one man who used a scythe...

Squinting, she knelt down closer to examine the man's face. Eyes were especially important to the Vantha, as unique as a signature, and though some eyes were closed off and confusing to read, she knew these ones.

"Grim?" She asked in wonder.

Her mind flashed back to another time, during the curse, when all of Sunberth had fallen ill and he had helped her treat the dying or dead. It hadn't been all that long ago- not really- but it felt so distant now that seeing Grim felt like a dream.

"What...what're ya doin' 'ere?"

Suddenly realizing the situation, Aladari held out a hand to help her friend up from the ground. Then, she stepped back to examine him further, as if he were a long-lost relative at a reunion- look how big you've gotten!.

"How...I didn't...I can't b'lieve ya made it out alive." She said with a half-hearted laugh. "That Hai isn't good for anybody. I'm happy yer 'ere now. "

Word count324
- Cornelia Funke
Aladari Coolwater
Rock the boat.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Grim Ravenwood on February 26th, 2017, 5:34 pm

¤

Grim let out a low grunt as he pushed himself from the ground, just enough to stop eating dirt every time he tried to breathe - an action rather hard in his previous position. His palm swept across his dirty face, removing most of the earth that stuck to his cheeks and forehead. Oddly, his descent didn't hurt nearly as much as he thought it would, now the only evidence it ever happened a slight itch.

Just then, his name chimed in his ear, as if someone had knew it from before. His gaze trailed up a lithe, yet feminine frame, gray eyes widening slightly in disbelief. In front of him stood a girl he had the pleasure of meeting in odd circumstances - namely, over a dying man. Yet, even with his screams as Petricious mutilated him with his, probably unsharpened scalpel, Grim was glad he was given the opportunity to meet one of the fabled people from his father's stories.

"A-aladari? I must have hit my head on a rock on my way down..." The robed man concluded, having no idea why the Vantha would be in the middle of the forest.

He extended his own hand, accepting her help as he got up. If she were to pay attention, Aladari would notice a dark marking in the shape of a scythe, very much like that of his own, on the skin of his palm. A few swipes over his black robes, and they were mostly devoid of the dust that clung onto it.

"Oh, you know, i was just sliding by." The man joked, as if that was a normal way to approach someone. As his chuckle died down, he prowled on her remark a bit, before replying coyly. "I guess i did, you can say that Death watches over me."

"Odd seeing you here." The Eyion said as he picked his scythe up. "Odd seeing anyone here actually..." He added, inquiring the reason why would she be in the middle of nowhere.

Grim as an Eiyon, appears to undead as either something to be fearful, or weary of, depending on their personal power. To others, he might seem like a mystery, or just odd.
Grim Ravenwood
You reap what you sow~

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal

Postby Aladari Coolwater on March 3rd, 2017, 6:00 pm

She smiled when he accepted her help. He was so familiar, despite thr time and distance between then and now. His dark humor and his fascination with death were uncomfortable as always, and yet, homey. Though she didn't recall seeing the scythe mark on his palm previously, or notice the crow hulking in the shadows, it did not worry her now; it was all very Grim.

As relieved as she was to see a familiar face, Aladari still couldn't shake the nervous feeling that surfaced whenever someone mentioned her living circumstances, or indeed, any of the current circumstances. She almost didn't want to tell him, as she so hated to be the bearer of bad news, but she never had been a good liar.

"You don' know?" She asked gently. "Is...We oughta si'down."

Whether he sat or not, she followed her own advice, backing up onto solid ground and seating herself in view of the fading colors of the falls. She curled her legs up and hugged them childishly as she readied herself.

"Is uh..." She wanted to switch to Vani, where the words felt warm and inviting and wrapped around her like a blanket, but it almost felt blasphemous. She trudged on in Common.

"There was a sign. Up in tha center a town. It said, uh, ya know how Winter didn' really come?" She looked over at Grim for confirmation. "Well, it really didn'. Morwen is sorta...missin', like. She didn' show up for Winter. Almos' like She's escapin' her job or somethin'. I mean, tha's what they say."

There was a sign that say that all the Vantha are in trouble, then, an' that they were bein' hunted. Lotsa Mizas up for it, too."
It felt easier to say "they" were being hunted than "we". For the first time in her life, it felt better to distance herself from her native culture.

The thought was cold and made her shiver, even though she had never felt truly cold in her life, with Morwen's Gnosis protecting her. But now...

She glanced at Grim again, searching his face for any sign of emotion. It did feel good to say it out loud, but now she had to face the fact that he had heard it. Would he show fear at being near her? Would he show smpathy, or kindness? Worst of all, would he show nothing at all?

"So tha's why I'm out ' ere. I'm livin' 'ere wit a...a new frien'. Dan. 'E's nice, but...is a lil' lonely. So I'm glad you're 'ere."

Word Count436
- Cornelia Funke
Aladari Coolwater
Rock the boat.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Grim Ravenwood on March 3rd, 2017, 11:52 pm

¤

"You don't know?" Though he wasn't pessimistic, Grim could not help but get a feeling that something was terribly off as those words left her mouth. His dark eyebrows knit together, his visage darkening as she spoke on.

What more, he really didn't notice anything of the sort. Although the fact that winter wasn't coming did strike him as rather odd, it never went into anything beyond that. Could it be that he was so busy finding himself, and coming into acceptance of what he now was, that he had completely separated himself from the outside world?

The skin around Grim's knuckles turned white as he gripped the handle of his weapon tightly. It was hard to explain why, but for some reason, what she had just told him, ignited anger within him.

"That's... That's ridiculous! He shouted out, in a tone very much unlike the one he used normally. "How can they hunt people like animals for something..." The Eiyon wanted to continue, but left his sentence incomplete. His gaze turned away for a moment, passing along the nit so distant treeline. At the end, what did it even matter if it didn't snow?

A gust of fresh air filled his lungs as he breathed in deeply, feeling a portion if the frustration he had at the moment exit his body as he exhaled. It was odd, how he felt that those were his problems, as if the very thing was happening to himself. Yet, once he decided to head back, a bed would be waiting for him, a rather uncomfortable one, but still a bed. But why did she have to suffer for something she had no control over"

Vani was a language he understood, yet one that was so unfamiliar to him. As others, more versed in it would converse, one word would flow into another one, each sentence a melodicpart of one whole. Yet, when he attempted at the same, he would fail terribly. The words may have been the same, but at this point, Grim felt like he would never achieve that level of knowledge his father had. For this very reason, he felt reluctant to use the said language. In front of Aladari, it would be as if he was a student asked to repeat a lesson he hadn't been paying attention to. Yet, if he were to attempt to brighten her up, using Vani would be better - even maimed as it was.

"Hey..." Grim uttered as he neared the Vantha, crouching in front if her. "I need no eyes color to be aware of how you feel." Grim blurted out, in a language that sounded like anything but Vani, yet it still was. "But this be... will be over soon, and everything go back to usual normal." He said, attempting to encourage her. "Besides, be god is hard work, even they be require rest from time to times." He would add.

"Dira, that sounded worse that I thought." The Eiyon added in a lower tone, a smile climbing to the corner of his lip.

Grim Ravenwood
You reap what you sow~

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal

Postby Aladari Coolwater on March 9th, 2017, 7:33 pm

Shyke, is that what I sound like in Common?

Despite however horribly lurching the normally fluid language sounded, it was recognizable to Aladari as what she hoped he intended it to be; it was an act of solidarity.

Although there was really nothing funny about the situation, Grim's faint smile was contagious, and his words sparked something like a cross between sorrow and humor in Aladari. It was a strange combination, but it was so much better than the anxiety and fear and downright hatred that it was near catharsis for her.

Aladari hung her head between her knees as if trying to isolate herself. Then, there was a snort...and another. It might gave been mistaken for crying at first, but when she finally threw her head back, it was clearly laughter.

"Be God is hard work..." She chortled. "If being an immortal, all-knowing God is hard work, must be extra hard for us living creatures, huh?"

Aladari smiled. "Thanks, Grim. Now you helped me, how abouts I help you?" Instinctively, she offered a hand to guide him, after gesturing briefly to the mud still clinging to his clothes. "Let's git you wash off."

Aladari moved toward the water's edge again, walking carefully through the mudded bank. Around her, Syna warmed the land bit by bit, but the water stayed cool in resistance. Then, like a true sailor, she slid her feet into the water, ignoring her boots and pant legs which began to soak.

Word Count245
- Cornelia Funke
Aladari Coolwater
Rock the boat.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Grim Ravenwood on March 19th, 2017, 11:08 pm

¤

He had tried, he really did. Even though comforting one with words wasn't his are of expertise, he thought that a few shared words would wisp a smile back at her face. Aladari was a Vantha, something that was rather hard given the recent events. More so, he imagined that winter meant to them more than to anyone else. Iy was as if their goddess was right next to them, falling from the sky, being blown on the wind or just sticking on their clothes. Morwen was present everywhere once winter begun, and now that, or some alien reason it didn't, he could only imagine how they would feel.

His hand would raise slightly, aiming to land on her shoulder as she buried her head in her knees. Maybe speaking nothing was the better choice after all. Yet, it recoiled back as soon as the woman began laughing. A look of confusion lingered on the Eiyon's face for a brief moment, before a smile replaced it, soft and cheerful.

"Yours be dog?" The Eiyon asked, taking note of the fuzzy creature not far from him. "He reminds me of myself, for some reason." He added, swapping to common. For starters, they were both black, and appeared quite grizzly. Or was it just the way the creature held itself?

Still, as much as Grim wanted go get all the mud, branches and god knows what from off his body and clothes, he was a bit reluctant to hop in the water. Though true, winter didn't come, it was still slightly chilly. More so since the river Aladari stepped in appeared to be coming from the mountain tops. Yet his judgment might have been off, as seeing the fisherwoman step in without flinching removed all doubt about the water.

"You not cold?" Was the first thing that came out of Grim's mouth as he stepped in the frigid shallows. Already, he could feel his leg numbing from th sudden change of temperature, yet Aladari appeared to be handling it more than well.

Grim Ravenwood
You reap what you sow~

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal

Postby Aladari Coolwater on April 20th, 2017, 6:50 pm

Aladari looked back and forth between Grim and the mutt. He was right; they were reminiscent of each other in some way that she couldn't put her finger on.

"Yeah, he's mine. Huh, Tar?" Tar perked his ears for a tick before deciding there were no treats involved and continuing about his business. Perhaps that was it- the nonchalantness of them, or the world-weary look in their eyes. Tar's was from old age, but what Grim's was from, she could only wonder.

From the look on Grim's face, she could tell he didn't really want to get in, but he followed after her anyway. Her eyes moved from him, to Tar, and back. Loyal. She thought, adding to the running list in her head.

"Nah, I's nah cold." She told Grim with a slight frown. "No Morwen, you 'member?"

She felt slightly insulted at the lack of insight, and her eyes flushed blue with disappointment. They had just discussed the Winter and how it had ruined her life, and yet here he was, taunting her.

At least, that was what she thought until she saw the color fade from his lips and the goosebumps raise on his arms. All were signs of cold. And if it really was cold, and she couldn't feel it...

Aladari grinned and tapped the Gnosis on her shoulder. Morwen still had her back. She must be out there somewhere. Equally thrilling in an ynexpected way was the relief that Grim had not been taunting her. He was concerned about her feelings.

Despite her normal fear of the water, Aladari slipped off her seat and into the shallow waters with a small splash. She tried her best not to splash him, but most was not under her control.

"Nah, feels good!" She chirped. "Maybe it's wakin' you up, huh?"

Aladari put her fingers to her lips and whistled.
It was a skill she had learned for more practical purposes on the seas, but now it served her and her pet closer to a party trick.

"Come on in, Tar. Don't believe him. The water's fine."
- Cornelia Funke
Aladari Coolwater
Rock the boat.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Grim Ravenwood on May 18th, 2017, 1:37 pm

Grim Ravenwood wrote:
¤

The cold from Grim's feet slowly left as his body temperature dropped ever so slightly. Well, if anything, he wouldn't let himself get bested by a bit of cold. He had faced worse, much worse. Taking one deep, audible breath of air, the Eiyon matched forward, until the water level climbed up to his waist. The more he spent in it, the more he realized that the water wasn't so bad. Not as bad as it would be if Morwen had actually came. Although, seeing the look on Aladari's face made him sorry that she didn't.

Yet, one thing never failed to amaze him. The Vantha's eyes appeared to change their color, going from a warm, chocolate brown, to an icy blue. The change appeared to be gradual, starting with a mere silver of the color, only for it to envelop the entire iris. His mother used to tell him how eyes can tell you a lot about a person, a fact even more true for the Vantha. And though he did not know her well enough to know what each of her colors meant - by Dira, they were gorgeous.

Realizing that he was staring for a moment longer than he should have, Grim snapped his gaze to the side, a barely noticeable hint of red climbing to his pale cheeks. Breaking the silence, Dusk cawed from his leafless sanctum up in the trees. "Ah, that must be Dusk, i forgot about him." Grim said as he snapped his fingers two times.

The crow appeared to recognize the signal, as it raised it's raven wings and gracefully landed near the river's banks, where a small pool of water lay trapped by several decently sized rocks. The crow appeared to be wary of the dog, as it stood a safe distance from it, casting a glance trough the holes of is't bone helmet each time it bowed towards the water.

"Remember skull birds of Sunberth?" Grim asked, the whiff of a smile flickering in the corner of his lip. If anything, the bird stood as a constant reminder of his home. Seeing a Skullcrow back in Sunberth was nothing remarkable, they were literally all around the place. Although one would wonder what one of them would be doing so far off. "Family healed it when i was little, it stayed with me."

Just then, Grim realized the water was feeling much more to his taste. Wishing he had a bit more dry clothes once he goes back, grabbing it by the edges, his black shirt was sent flying away, piling on top of his robe. Though nothing remarkable, one could see that he has been working out - evident by the toned muscles of his abdomen and hands. The skin of his left arm retained a slight, although visible blue shade, marking his Isurian heritage.

With a grin plastered on his usually stoic face, the Eiyon submerged beneath the water's surface. Although he expected a bit more from the scenery, the bottom was mostly mud, with a few rocks and unknown plantlife sticking from out of it. Yet, the water was clear, and the current that pushed him downwards was rather weak. Even so, he was surprised at how deep it was - as it could probably reach up to his chin near the middle.

"You're right, the water is great!" Grim spoke in common, the slight cold that bit at his skin making his body feel oddly rejuvenated. "Although, i wish i knew how to swim." He added as he slowly walked back to where the water was more shallow.

Grim Ravenwood
You reap what you sow~

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal

Next