PM to join [Treasure Beach] Playing In The Wreckage Of Other's Lives

Syka Event - Shipwreck on the Treasure Beach where Nya and Karin meet!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

[Treasure Beach] Playing In The Wreckage Of Other's Lives

Postby Nya Winters on December 18th, 2016, 12:55 am

Timestamp: 45 of Winter, 516 AV

Nya needed a day off. She'd been working near nonstop since they'd arrived in Syka. For one thing, she was trying to establish herself as a business woman, someone who traded leatherwork for coin or barter items that her and Shai could not get on their own. Nya never thought she'd work in leather, but she'd always had a passion for touching things and a burning desire to create. It was what was needed for Syka, more so than even her kelvic form's inherent bodily strength. Skill.

It was something she'd given little thought too. Craftsmen were people that she went to in order to purchase things she could not make. She'd never considered herself one or even talked to anyone about being something like that. Nya had always identified with being someone's daughter, someone's bondmate, even someone's friend. But Nya realized, in the short time she'd been here, that such identities were not enough. Not even being Aressa in a past life meant anything.

And her time in Ravok as a slave to the Nitrozen's had taught her what being nothing was. Here, the page was wiped clean. She had control of what was written on it about herself. Here, she had choices she hadn't had elsewhere. It was a new kind of freedom and one she enjoyed. And so it was with laughter that she put aside her leatherworking and declared today a free day and set off to Treasure Beach to play in the sand and hunt for interesting finds.

Nya packed a backpack with some dried jerky and a waterskin with fresh water and set off to spend some time sunning in the sand. Treasure Point was a good walk from her home and gave her a chance to stretch her legs. The winter sun in Syka wasn't as blistering hot as it was in the summer, so Nya didn't need sunscreen and the wind and sand would keep mosquitos from biting her.

Best of all she could play in the surf.

Nya was there early in the morning and spread the blanket she'd brought with her onto the sand and added her backpack to it. Then she'd shed her light shift and shoes before transforming into her big cat form and wading into the surf. There she snapped at the waves with her jaws, pounced on them, and was rolled around violently as she laughed in the surf. Nya's Kelvic form was large, the size of a riding horse, and heavily furred. She had her winter coat, even here in Syka, so her fur was a paler shade of black, green, and brown from what it usually was in the summer. Drenched in sea water she looked silly though she was having fun.

And even though her wits were sharp and she was alert to what was around her, it took a moment for her to realize the surf was full of debris. It took her even longer to see the ship half washed up on the rocks well out into the bay, where it was pounded by the tide coming in.

Nya noted barrels floating and long strips of milled wood. Both struck her as valuable so in the form of her dire forest cat, she started making a game of catching the wood in her jaws and dragging it out of the surf, up high to where her blanket was spread and making a pile of it. Fully intact and floating barrels made harder targets to catch, but they were incredibly fun to pursue through the waves. Nya chased the smaller ones, dragging a pair of them up on the sand before going back for larger ones that she couldn't get her jaws around. Those she pounced on in the water, rising up like a great fish and jumping down on it half letting them keep her afloat. Nya kept to the shallows, where her paws could touch the sand beneath the waves, her play turning productive.

She kept an eye out for people, both those from the settlement and in case anyone was left alive from the ship. She didnt' know what kind of ship it was or who was on it... but she did know it had probably been wrecked on the rocks since the storm because the more she looked around, the more attention she paid to the beach, the more she saw debris is in the sand, tangled with seaweed and driftwood, up along the tideline. Ropes, more barrels, and a great deal of wood had been thrown ashore. There were even a few sacks, chests, and the sorts of things you'd find on a ship... pulleys, wenches, and block and tackle still attached to their chains. The more she played the more Nya realized how valuable the stuff was laying on the beach.

Nya Winters
Let the winds in my heart blow...

Words: 784686
Joined roleplay: June 7th, 2009, 6:53 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Trailblazer (1) Never Say Die (1)
Donor (1) 2017 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2017 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Postby Karin on December 18th, 2016, 6:02 pm

"Speech"

It had only been five days since she had landed on the shores of the rumoured Syka. She had been glad, so very glad that it was a real place. The doubts, that she was wasting her time, that she had gambled just a little too much, that she would regret this had faded away as soon as she had stepped foot on the sandy beach framed with luscious forest. It was all too much for her to take in, and she had simply spent her time trying to figure out what to do now that she was here. Despite it being Winter, the temperatures were balmy and gorgeous. She had grinned so brightly, upon being by the ocean properly for the first time in her life, without a city weighing her down like an unwanted anchor.

Now though, her bones and muscles ached through sleeping rough as she tried to figure out what she was doing. Of course, it was a new settlement. She had conveniently forgotten or not realised that meant there were no houses. There had been bungalows, but perhaps foolishly the young woman had eschewed them. Truthfully, she knew her pockets were almost empty, but they were looking more and more inviting as she suffered through using the beach as her bed. But she wasn't ready to give up yet, despite her bedraggled state, and despite the growing fears she would get eaten in the night. In fact, last night had been the worst yet. Her miserable thoughts danced around her brain all night, forbidding her sleep as the waves pounded. Yet in the morning, she had a plan. A flimsy plan, but a plan nonetheless. The morning dawned, and she looked out over the beach and at the ocean playing on the shore. Yes. She needed to be in the Suvan that she loved dearly.

So it was that the young woman found herself walking along the beach, rucksack holding all her belongings. She had left the chest that held her clothes back at the Commons, tucked away underneath a chair. She hoped no-one would touch it, but even if they did, it only had clothes in, and some rope. Meanwhile she walked wearily along the beach, looking for a good swimming spot. She wanted to be away from where she had been sleeping the past couple of days. It was a pretty area, but the bad night she had spent there still haunted her. So, she walked, bare feet sinking into the soft sand near the top of the beach.

She walked for what seemed like bells, but probably wasn't. Time seemed to stand still as her gaze lingered on the endlessly blue waters of the Suvan. Until, finally, she thought she found a spot. Yet, it wasn't because the waters looked particularly good here. In fact, as she stared out, it was because the shore was littered with debris. Her curiosity overcame her, and she dropped her bag down before beginning to climb out of her trousers, carefully draping them over her bag as she stepped forwards to greet Laviku's waters, finally ready to let the healing balm of salt-water touch her skin.

She waded in slowly, savouring the unusual warmth as it washed around her. She piled her pale hair high on her head in a rough plait, and suddenly dropped under the water to submerge herself before pushing sharply against the sandy slopes of the submerged beach to kick herself into a swim. Suddenly, it was all worth it. She thought some more of her plan as she began to settle into the routine. She only had a few days of rations left, and she was sure she was bitten all over with insects, but by Laviku, it was worth it for this.

And that was when she realised she wasn't alone in the waters. She stopped, her feet just touching the floor as she stared out in utter shock at the form of a giant cat, fur washed through with the ocean, playing with barrels? Her heart flew to her mouth, and she started to walk with agonising slowness back to the shore, trying to be as quiet as possible. It was impossible that the beast hadn't seen her, but she at least attempted to appear as unthreatening as possible. Perhaps then she wouldn't get eaten. Oh, how ironic it was that for all her fears of being devoured in the night, that she would actually get eaten alive during broad daylight.

10/7/17- All my threads are marked [open] and as such are open to all. :)
Karin
Ocean gazing

Words: 384298
Joined roleplay: July 7th, 2015, 10:05 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Nya Winters on May 7th, 2017, 9:04 pm

Nya never saw herself as a threat. There was too much water under that particular bridge for the kelvic to completely understand how intimidating she could look to a stranger. In Ravok, they hadn't been intimidated at all by her size. They'd just used her, thrown her away, and left her as wreckage much like the debris filling the water.

So it was when the kelvic spotted the woman soaked through from the sea, she assumed immediately that she was a survivor from the shipwreck and bounded over. Had she noticed the stranger on the shore dry, she would have been more cautious. But the woman was moving so slowly it felt like something might have been wrong with her. Was she wounded? Struck by the reef or rocked by waves?

Nya ended her rescue of debris and turned her attempts at rescue towards the woman.

She started to speak forgetting Nya was kelvic, to ask her if the woman needed help, but her words came out as a slight growls as she bounded through the chest deep water and approached. Turning to bite annoyingly at a wave as it crashed up against her, Nya continued fight to wade to the woman's side. The wave pushed Nya out to sea a bit more and she floundered before she managed to gain the woman's side.

Her words came out a growl again and the kelvic shook her head in frustration. Shifting in a swirl of colored lights, woman faced woman as Nya turned her back to the sea and stalked the stranger's slow motion up the beach.

"Are you okay? Were you in the shipwreck? I was just salvaging stuff... wood to build with, maybe supplies in the barrels. Are they your things? Do you need help?"
The questions came between waves which made the enormous horse sized cat turned woman look more like a drowned rat than anything formidable.

Another wave crashed into Nya from behind causing her to stagger forward and into Karin. Nya attempted to grab her by the shoulders to steady herself and keep both of them from crashing beneath the onslaught of the wave as her feet struggled for purchase in the loose shifting sand.

Nya Winters

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Karin on May 13th, 2017, 10:33 am

"Speech"

Karin felt terror, the kind of absolute fear of being trapped and being unable to do anything about it as the incredibly large creature started bounding forwards through the waves, snarling and growling (or so Karin thought) with anger. Her eyes widened and she stumbled backwards, mute with fear, her mouth opening to scream without sound as she fell backwards into the water. Sand swirled around her limbs as she floundered in the ocean swell, desperately trying to right herself- to get up and run the fastest she could in the opposite direction. But she was trapped by the very thing she loved so much. The Suvan held her down with a loving embrace as she struggled to find a way to right herself in the playful sands of the beach.

By this time the creature had neared, still growling with terrifying rumbles that sent thrills of dread through her body. She panicked, and with trembling hands she shielded her body, shouting, "Get AWAY from me!" She expected the slashing of piercing claws, the puncturing of her fragile, fragile skin, the spilling of her young blood into the water... but it didn't come.

Bright lights flashed in the already bright light of the coast, shining past the cracks in her paltry defence. Then, words. Do you need help? Karin shivered, not from cold but from the release of adrenaline, as her heart was pounding like a drum and she was trembling all over. Then she lowered her arms carefully, and took in the form of the woman- the Kelvic. In a few ticks, she absorbed the flash of soaked skin, the bedraggled, ocean-drenched hair and the green eyes flashing with an emotion she didn't register. But another wave knocked her over, and the two women were falling with clumsy half-steps and stumbling indignity. She swallowed a mouthful of water and felt a handful of sand scrape down her throat, making her cough and choke. A loop of seaweed snaked around her ankle and she yelped quietly as a shard of shell spiked her elbow as she fell on it. Yet, her fear was subsiding, leaving her high and dry with a good dose of embarrassment and foolishness instead.

"I... I live here, in Syka, just swimming when I saw you, I didn't realise you were a Kelvic." Her voice was rough, cracking from disuse, quivering with anxiety still lurking, and scratched throughout from salt and sand. Karin finally righted herself, without thinking to help the other woman up. She was too on edge to think of niceties. "It sounded like you wanted to... kill me." She smiled without much amusement, and clenched her fists tight for a few moments to calm herself down. She muttered, "Laviku preserve me."

But now that she was gradually calming, she remembered the giant cat's words, and was intrigued. The barrels that she had mentioned were obvious too, now. Karin glanced out over the sea, spotting the Kelvic's playground. "What kind of Kelvic are you anyway?" In the Svefra's experience, which was admittedly tiny, Kelvics were modestly sized creatures, like martens or monkeys or cats. Small cats. She gazed over the seemingly innocent woman again, then promptly realised and remembered that she would be completely naked and swiftly averted her eyes. For someone raised in Alvadas, she was remarkably prudish and naive. And like any naive person, she was almost completely unaware of it.

Karin
Ocean gazing

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Nya Winters on May 21st, 2017, 9:55 pm

Nya knew what it looked like. Even as the waves battered both women, Nya felt vulnerable and afraid as each passing crash swept her feet out from under her and had her struggling before her feet touched the sand again. Laviku's playground was no fun thing to her, not really, even though she loved living by the sea.

"I'm sorry!" She called past the wind and the waves, close to the woman now. "I was.... trying to talk to you not eat you... I forgot I was a cat for a moment." The woman called to the other, brushing her hair out of her face and taking a moment to spit out a bit of the sea as a wave passed. "It's easier to salvage wreckage on four legs with big claws than on two. The waves don't hit me as hard being bigger. I don't want to hurt you. I just thought you needed salvaging too.. that you were part of the shipwreck." Nya called, close now, close enough to get a good look at the woman to see she indeed didn't look beat up or storm tossed.

"I'm a Talderian Forest Cat. I was born on the edge of Sylira and Talderia where things grow big. I promise I don't like the taste of human unless that human points a weapon at me, then I make an exception. Lets get to shore for a moment. Regroup and then we can salvage the rest of this." Nya knew the woman probably had just had the scare of her life.

Nya, standing shoulder to shoulder with Karin now, extended her hand. "I'm Nya Winters. I live here in Syka. I'm even almost litterbox trained. If you carefully and quickly look behind you, you can see the pile of stuff I've already accumulated... the boxes and wood. It's all very valuable here." The woman joked, and offered her a hand to shake in greeting.

Another wave passed, lifting the women off their feet again and tossing them sideways. Nya was in the thick of the white waves, and on either side of them was smooth water, but she knew it could be deceiving. "Will it scare you if I change to four feet again? I am bigger and the waves don't toss me around. You can hang on to me or climb onto my back and we can haul things to shore faster with your hands and my balance." Nya suggested, wondering if the woman was calmer now.

Cats didn't normally talk to their food. They just ate it. And even though the stranger looked big enough to be a good meal, Nya normally preferred wild pig or deer or even Tapir here in this land. Sentient people just didn't taste very good.

Nya Winters

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Karin on May 23rd, 2017, 9:18 pm

"Speech"

It took a few more deep breaths for Karin to completely settle, but soon enough she had recovered from her initial fear. It helped she already knew a little of Kelvic nature, but she was surprised by just how... tame the woman appeared to be. Jay, the marten Kelvic that she had once been friends with, had been equally playful. But then, he had been a marten, a small animal. She was not expecting a large animal to act in a similar way. But she was glad, nonetheless.

Karin did as the woman suggested, and looked towards the shifting ocean where barrels and floating driftwood swam in a loosely collected flotilla. Nya was right, she thought. It would be easier if she shifted back to being a cat again. But first, she gathered her swimming thoughts and replied to the woman. After she had given her name so freely, it would be rude to not give her own in return. With some degree of hesitation, the blonde woman extended her hand to meet Nya's, and shook weakly before letting go.

"I'm Karin. And no, I won't mind if you shift back. I'm just glad you're a Kelvic, not an actual forest cat. As long as you don't mind me being on your back?" It wasn't really a question, because the Svefra knew Nya had already offered, but she felt strangely apprehensive about sitting on the woman, even if she was in big cat form. As the waves swept past them over and over, she realised that the stranger's offer really was a sound one. She nodded again, once, to agree and watched through slitted eyes as the woman transformed once again into her significantly larger form.

Then it was just the challenge of actually getting onto her back in the first place. Karin had no experience with horses, which seemed to be the rough size of the Kelvic. It was made even harder by the fact that they were in the choppy water. But she was a good swimmer, and so she said, "Can you move out further? I can probably get onto your back if the water was a bit higher. Just out... there." She pointed to a spot a little closer to the floating flotsam and jetsam, and began to swim out into the sea hoping Nya would follow.

The chance to gather some of the spoils was certainly to her benefit too. With thoughts of building definitely on her mind, she wouldn't pass the opportunity to see what had been left in the tide. She couldn't help but wonder whether the wrecked ship was a big one, too. Was there anything salvageable at all of the ship? She glanced backwards to see Nya approaching rapidly, and then got an eyeful of salt water making her blink rapidly and lose focus for a moment.

OOCJust yell at me if you'd prefer me not to 'lite' steer your PC. :)

Karin
Ocean gazing

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Nya Winters on May 28th, 2017, 4:51 pm

Karin. It was a good name. Nya liked her immediately without any real reason for it. There was something open, friendly, and maybe a little wild about her as well. Nya wondered what race she was. Human for sure, but the big cat had seen quite a few people in her time and the woman with her brilliant blue eyes looked like she might have been one of the sea wanderers.

Shifting, the big cat plunged back into the waves following Karin as docile as a kitten. When she caught up to her she rubbed her big wet head against Karin's shoulder then flanked her where she ducked under, paws still gripping the sand and stone beneath their feet. Karin wouldn't have a hard time slipping a leg over and if she did, Nya would rise again, bringing the woman out of the water where it just covered her to her knees. Soggy cat wasn't the best of mounts, but Nya had a good place to sit just behind her shoulders that didn't interfere with her motions. Abashai had taken a seat often enough and the big cat had loved carrying him, protecting him, as she was designed to do by her creators.

Once Karin had a firm grip and as steady of a seat she was going to get, Nya went hunting for more wreckage. The big cat moved slowly but steadily grabbing things Karin could hold - ropes, floating items of fabric that were not immediately apparent, and even a small barrel - while she herself grabbed wood, long planks that were obviously broken at one end or another or even slighlty curved like the outside of a ship.

Together the pair worked, the big cat turning and heading for the sand just outside of the reach of waves, where the pile she already started was able to grow with Karin's help. Having a set of hands with her to assist her jaws was mighty handy, no pun intended. The big cat resembled more a dog in that moment, chasing into the waves with her rider and fishing lumber and supplies out of the waves much like a dog would chasing a stick into the surf and dragging it back out again.

Nya worked with Karin's help until both of them were breathing hard and tired. The Forest Cat could tell the woman was growing weary just by how hard she gripped her with her legs or how her gripped slipped as her legs grew tired.

When Nya almost lost her rider, she decided they both needed a break to sort what they'd dragged up on the shore. The Kelvic was interested in building on to her home and suspected Karin might feel the same, so she'd concentrated on getting all the wood that looked usable. She left the things that needed hands, the real loot, to Karin's very necessary hands. And after almost a dozen trips up and down into and out of the water, the big cat dragged her last load of lumber up on the beach panting, and instead of returning to the water, she gently laid down on her belly panting.

If Karin got off, Nya would shift, look around, and ask Karin 'What do you think? A break to sort out and see what we got?" The kelvic would have no clothing on, but it wouldn't matter to her at all. When she stood up, the human would see a very fit young woman with a swirling hurricane like spiral on her back. If Karin had seen it before, she'd recognize it as a double mark of Zulrav. Nya would also have a nasty scar over her stomach and another over her heart. Both looked like knife wounds that had been twisted hard. Otherwise, she only sported a set of vertical slices up and down her body where she'd stupidly been caught by the horns of a Talderian Elk that had almost took her life.

Hungry almost invariably meant stupid in kittens. And Nya had been perpetually hungry as a child growing into her Talderian form. She sometimes took on things far too much for her. And truthfully a Talderian Bull Elk in the middle of the Fall Rut was way too much for a pride of Talderian Forest Cats to even consider taking on, let alone one half-grown kitten.

[/indent]
Nya Winters

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Karin on June 5th, 2017, 8:45 pm

"Speech"

It was always a strange experience to interact with a Kelvic in animal form. It had been the same when Jay had been her friend, when he had climbed on her just like a wild animal. It had taken a lot of thought to figure out that he wasn't just some 'animal'... or even just some 'human'. In a very similar way, Karin had to stop herself from handling the large cat as just a cat. It was an even odder experience to ride her, like one might a horse. Karin was not a natural rider, having never once been on horseback, so she had no comparisons to make. To her, it was a small struggle to climb onto the slick-backed Kelvic, whose fur was soaked so thoroughly with water. Karin managed to gulp another mouthful of water before she seated herself properly, but then the two got to work and the issues of Kelvic and animal and human faded, to be faced at another time and another place.

The two women didn't talk, but Karin hardly noticed or even minded. She wasn't one to fill the void with chatter, and besides, the work was all that was on her mind. The water, now that she looked properly, was saturated with valuable junk and wreckage which filled her with burning curiosity and a desire to collect as much as possible. Even if half of it was useless, the other half would hold a use, she was sure. And as it was the wreckage of a ship, she was doubly invested. So, with a burn between her shoulderblades, the woman collected armful after armful of salf-soaked debris to carry to shore.

It seemed the forest cat had just as much enthusiasm for rescuing as much as they could. Nya was labouring just as hard, and Karin found herself impressed with the considerable display of power the Kelvic showed. Despite the playful, tugging and pulling of the waves, the cat managed the currents and tides well, and soon their pile of items began to grow. But the effect of the waters dragging on their muscles started to take a toll, and Karin could feel her grip loosening. Her arms were aching too, from reaching and stretching and lifting from an awkward position. Her thighs were burning from gripping the Kelvic's sides, and it was to her considerable relief when they stopped on the beach with a trail of pawprints leading backwards and forwards between the sea and the beach.

Karin rolled off with relief, and lay on her back as she dug her toes into the sand and raised her hand to the glorious sky above, her fingers splayed to capture the clouds. Beside her, the Kelvic flashed with a vibrant, ephemeral display of light, and Karin blinked the colour spots from her eyes as she listened closely. It was a sensible plan, and she nodded, agreeing, "We should have a decent haul by now." Then, once again, she remembered her companion's nakedness. But before she averted her eyes, the blonde Svefra couldn't stop her gaze lingering on the stab wounds- for that was what it looked like. Dark, painful marks on the skin which could not have been accidental. The Svefra was not a medicine woman, nor was she knowledgeable about pain, but the placement of the puckered, twisted scars seemed like it had been placed... to kill. She swallowed, and looked at the lithe woman in fresh light.

What kind of life had she had? It was an unvoiced question- for now. Her eyes softened for the briefest of fragments of time, whilst she considered the untold story of the Kelvic. She couldn't imagine what had happened, having lead a peaceful life, all things considered. Instead, she blocked the woman's bare body from her mind, and crawled onto her knees on the gritty sand and began to sift through the items they had rescued from their salty graves. The first couple of things she picked up were a few fragments of tattered, ocean-encrusted sail. The material was thick and had once been white, but was now stained with age and time. They were only small fragments, but Karin put them into a neat pile nevertheless. If there was one thing that was important on Syka, it was making sure that nothing went to waste. Karin was not stupid, despite being young and uneducated. She knew that those little scraps could, eventually, be sewn into something new- perhaps. Everything was of value, even if it seemed inconsequential.

Karin
Ocean gazing

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Nya Winters on July 21st, 2017, 3:36 am

Nya thought Karin was a good partner. She didn't complain and worked just as hard as the kelvic hauling items ashore. When they were both too tired to admit it, but also to tired to carry on, Nya and Karin called a break to their activities and Nya flopped down in the sand besides Karin for a moment to catch her breath.

"I'm out of shape. Badly. I spent a lot of time in very dark place doing nothing but pacing the confines of its bars."
Nya said absently, staring up at the fluffy clouds in the tropical sky. "This place is so beautiful after that place. I never want to leave this place." Nya admitted softly, rolled to her side, and then stood up to help Karin sort.

"What did you do before you came here? I mean... I shouldn't pry. But I'm curious... what brought everyone here. What brought you here?" Nya asked, as she waded into the pile they'd acquired and began sorting it.

"We have lots of wood here. I think that barrel is still intact since it floated. I'm not sure whats in it though. With our luck it will be water."
She laughed then pawed at the barrel, finding it heavy with liquid. She sniffed at it, shifted her forms, and sniffed at it again. Slipping back into her human form she laughed.

"Not water at all. Wine! We should drink some!"
The Kelvic said with enthusiasm. She set the barrel aside and helped sort the wood in piles. Some would be burnable once it was dry, but some could be used for a house or structure. That she was excited about. There were crates and more barrels too, some broken open, some intact. She selected a crate at random, tried to get it open, and then could not. She shifted, tore at it with her claws, opening it as easily as her human form could peel a banana, before stepping back and shifting to human form again.

Bolts of fabric, soaked through from the sea, spilled out of the thing, falling out onto the sand in long colorful rolls. Nya gasped, and looked up at Karin, not knowing if the salt water would ruin it or not. "Is this still good even though its wet?" She asked, curiously pushing through the fabrics. It wasn't expensive silks. Instead it was lightweight cottons and one bolt of canvas.

Nya huffed, laying out the bounty, and shaking her head. "We'll have to wash this in fresh water and hang all this fabric out to dry." She suggested, then thought that probably one of the founders would take it if it was clean in trade at the Mercantile. Others could really benefit too. Nya couldn't sew but surely someone else could?

"What else do we have?"
She asked, pawing through the intact and partially broken crates looking for something else to open.

Nya Winters

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Karin on July 26th, 2017, 11:02 am

"Speech"

There was a moment of quiet clarity as the two women, one sun-bleached Svefra and the other not solely woman, lay resting on the beach after their hard slog against the tide and the detritus. Her unvoiced question was partially answered in soft tones that didn't seem to quite fit with the words they carried. Karin thought of bars, and of imprisonment (for that was what she guessed the woman was implying), but couldn't fathom how it would feel. The Svefra lay still for a moment as she considered, then asked hesitantly, "Where did you come from?"

Her own history tiptoed out of her whilst she began to sort through a small pile of wooden scraps. It was a collection of timber, long planks that had once belonged to the decking of a ship. Her fingers inspected the splinters and the worn patches, but found it to be sound and solid. "I lived in Riverfall, just across the sea. When I arrived I managed to find work under a shipwright. But..." She fell silent as she stumbled over how to phrase the feeling she'd felt, the urge she'd always had throughout her life, that had prompted her to board the Veronica with her meagre belongings and head into the unknown.

"I suppose I came here because I didn't fit in Riverfall. There's a part of me that won't rest until I'm next to the Suvan, and Riverfall wasn't close enough." Even though, geographically, it was. The feeling was something she could not explain well, as it was partly mixed in with her own distaste of crowds, and her dislike of the walls and rules and barriers that kept her from the ocean that she belonged to. But all of it, the wondering and the thinking, was dismissed as she snorted involuntarily at Nya's 'let's drink it!'. Besides, the woman was mesmerised at the Kelvic's graceful shifting between forms, faster than she'd ever seen. Was it something that took effort at all? She tried to recall conversations with Jay, but found her memory fuzzy.

Then the dark-haired, somehow tamed wildling woman, asked a question of a great heap of fabric, and Karin scuffed her way through the sand to look. It was outside of her knowledge, but she answered, "Well... When our own clothes get wet, all they need is to be washed in clean water so I'd agree." She began to fold the cloth for easier transportation to wherever they were going to clean it, and then stopped. "Gods, what happened?" Suddenly, she found herself shocked. Perhaps it was the brightness of the cloth. Or maybe it was her gradually realising the breadth of belongings they had scavenged. Where were the people who had sailed the ship to it's untimely death, they who had carried their cargo to make a profit, to make a living? She cast her eyes downwards as she realised they were probably dead, food for the creatures of Laviku's realm, down in the deep. They had died in a storm or having hit a rock, maybe. Or they had all grown ill and died, letting the ship drift and crash in the shallows or some tumultuous tide.

"The people who sailed this are probably dead." She was silent for a moment, as she looked to see what Nya felt about it. Maybe she had already realised it, and Karin was the unfeeling one who hadn't noticed they were taking what used to be someone's livelihood. No. They were not thieves. Something bad had happened, but neither she nor Nya were at fault. It was Laviku's gift for the few people that relied on his grace beside the waters. A blessing for the people of Syka, one that they shouldn't cast aside. "But I don't think any of these things should go to waste. Not even the smallest scraps. We'll need it all, right? To build Syka." There was a half-broken chest lying askew where they had dropped it earlier, and she strode over as Nya carried on sorting. The woman wasn't strong like the wild cat Kelvic was, but she had a little strength and so she tore at the hinge until it creaked open to reveal a casket of salt, almost all of it ruined except for one chunk that had mercifully managed to stay dry. "Salt... That's used for preserving? Can you do that?" Yes, she resolved, these things will be of use.

Karin
Ocean gazing

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)