Reimancy Question

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Reimancy Question

Postby Konrad Venger on July 25th, 2017, 11:29 pm

So, I know that Reimancers can "divine" water from the ground. Elements that they can transmute are attracted to their res, so that makes sense. But two more things occurred to me and I wanted to get some feedback on them:

a) said "attraction" ability being used to suck the moisture from animal carcasses or plants, for the purpose of preservation
b) the same ability used to do the same to living creatures, most likely as a torture method, since humans for example are something like 70% water... can't be pleasant

Would these be possible, also?

||Common||Thoughts||Pavi||Fratava||Myrian||Other's Speaking||
Note: As of Fall 517AV, Konrad is known only as "Hansel" in Endrykas
Konrad Venger
Long is The Way and Hard

Words: 1060755
Joined roleplay: November 23rd, 2015, 4:05 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 4
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Million Words! (1)

Reimancy Question

Postby Theo Popcampio on July 28th, 2017, 5:28 pm

My initial guess would be yes, but I'm no authority. Water that's in our bodies is mixed with bodily fluids (which I'm fairly certain a centrifuge could separate), so I can see reimancers being able to do the same thing. If it's the case that living creatures can be drawn from using water reimancy it would probably be discomforting (although I wonder what kind of response the nervous system would have in reaction to such a phenomenon).

You can certainly do similar things to torture people with any kind of reimancy: Simply create your rez and have it form into gas and guide it into the subjects lungs; from here you can combust the rez (my favorite option), turn it into earth, water-log their lungs, or expand the rez with air to perforate their lungs.
All my templates were made by the grace of the enchanting Aislyn Leavold.
Theo Popcampio
Fire Starter

Words: 212275
Joined roleplay: May 31st, 2015, 4:25 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Reimancy Question

Postby Sayana on July 29th, 2017, 10:11 pm

I'm also not an authority on this, these are just my own personal thoughts.

For sake of game balance, I wouldn't advocate that with water reimancy you can easily strip someone of all their water content. In a more practical sense, it takes time for water to move through permeable or porous material. I've even studied / done calculations to determine groundwater flow through clay vs. silt vs. sand... Not going into the mathematics, it can take a decent amount of time for water to travel. And substances like clay particles can even molecularly bond with the water (weak bonds) and that's what makes clay so good at being a sealant.

All that aside, a human body is quite complicated and rarely contains pure water. I would imagine if you were extracting water that was contained in cells, it would take substantial effort/time for the water to pass through the permeable membranes.

If you've got an hour to spare, I could imagine using the attractive nature of water reimancy like "drying" or like setting aside the body (living or dead) in a very hot and dry place to dry it out. It might be a little faster than naturally drying out meat but I don't see it happening in a matter of minutes.

Similarly with living bodies, I could see the water reimancer trying to target the most 'water-like' parts of a body or sensitive parts (like eyeballs) and effectively drying them out. But if you're going to try to 'attract' blood using water reimancy... well blood isn't water. That would be my conclusion. You might have marginal success, but I think it's much better to use reimancy on the pure element rather than some mixture. Mixtures are better left for para-elements. One could say that ice is technically H2O, but on Mizahar it's still regarded as a para-element.

Anyways, those are just my own reasonings and wanting to keep in mind the game balance. It might also be more available to those at expert/master level.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Words: 1543550
Joined roleplay: September 22nd, 2014, 12:38 am
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syliras Seasonal Challenge (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)

Reimancy Question

Postby Konrad Venger on August 1st, 2017, 3:25 pm

Thanks a lot for the expansive answers, guys, I appreciate it!

||Common||Thoughts||Pavi||Fratava||Myrian||Other's Speaking||
Note: As of Fall 517AV, Konrad is known only as "Hansel" in Endrykas
Konrad Venger
Long is The Way and Hard

Words: 1060755
Joined roleplay: November 23rd, 2015, 4:05 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 4