Bad Beat

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

Bad Beat

Postby Rufio on July 29th, 2017, 4:19 pm

The Walahk shifted with impatience.

He picked up his blade and Rufio’s breath inhaled with a sharp hiss and her racing heart gained momentum anew. Her large eyes watched as he picked his nails with the deadly point, as it were a piece of grass. Silently the fortune-teller sent a prayer to all the gods she knew, simultaneously cussing her own reckless curiosity in chasing intriguing—dangerous—clientele.

Her fear was tempered by that same curiosity though—what was he thinking? The fortune-teller wished she knew more about that magic that lets one into other’s heads, which he spoke of. In a wobble of self-doubt, the fortune-teller wished fervently that she could divine dreams like Ferem, or Emry. No wonder Emry had an abundance of arrogance.

Here was Rufio, diligently clinging to her mother’s ways, trying to being herself closer to the memories. Eby'ln had been dead and gone for arcs now, why could Rufio not let her go?

She was startled, suddenly, by the introspective mood this foreigner had provoked in her, and the fortune-teller remembered herself. It was his thoughts and moods she was meant to be deciphering, not her own.

Rufio never meant to be a con. She believed in what she did. Wholeheartedly superstitious. Even if she had not the foreseeing gifts of her patrons, Rufio put her faith in the gods and goddesses, and in her cards and bones. Everything pulsed, she thought, everything had a heartbeat, even if no heart.

Like the way her father had described the Drykas webs to her one night. They glowed, they pulsed, though you cannot see it. This glow, pulse, vibration, attracted the right cards, or rippled into the way the bones would fall. Rufio read vibrations, and that did not require magic; only faith and insight. Rufio wanted to be a healer of the heart. So she gave readings to lift the depressed, soothe the anxious, give meaning to the lost, and guide the grief-stricken or heartbroken.

When Hansel sighed, Rufio knew the man did not find any of these things in her words. He needed no soothing, wanted none. "Make good. Tell me thing I know. Not god. Tell me thing I do not." His words made her smile, and she gestured in agreement with his huffing and his sighing. "Of course; you know where you have come from. The second card will tell you were you are." already known to you.

Patience
she asked. “These will give us clues about the last card; the future.” She explained, knowing that clients sought that card eagerly. He waved the dagger and Rufio glanced at the blade dubiously, then reached and turned the second card.

“The fool.”

The fortune-teller felt a sardonic smile alight her freckles with amusement, agree. “Reversed like this, it means foolishness, risk-taking, recklessness.” Something shifted in Rufio and there was a matronly bit to her tone, “You have been brought here by your own folly way.” The fortune-teller started, clearly her tone surprised herself. The words already out her mouth, she hastily moved on to interpretation.

“The fool represents naivety too…” She mused, her frown giving away that she thought Hansel anything but naïve. Her ochre gaze rose to his scars and swept shyly away. Although, she reasoned, he does sit here in Jonas Pridesun horde. Keeping company with zealots who denounce all the gods that her people held dear.

That was foolish, she thought.

The Walahk had been found in the grasslands, half-dead, she had heard. The knives of his foe in his back, but his foe cut open and left for the buzzards on the grasses. Looking at the blade, Rufio recalled the strength in his arm, his ferocity, she blushed. He was a fearsome warrior. Fiercer than many Drykas she knew.

Who was the man that attacked him? Up on the open steppe a bandit would not dare an ambush. Was he a comrade? A fellow traveller?

Rufio sighed, as if she was impatient. Usually her readings sparked questions and questions in her clients, not in herself. She rolled her shoulders and put her waning confidence into her words.

“You have put your trust in people, and they have put knives in your back. You are here because you trusted someone, and they put a knife was in your back. Trust is a reckless thing to you, but now you must trust the Drykas.”

Her shoulders shifted up and down with a breath and she smiled with a happiness that seemed oddly misplaced.
“You have come from a dark torment, and have arrived to new beginnings.”
Her fingers drummed the cards in succession and she beamed.
“This card warns you not to take risks right now, but it says a good thing too. It advises you to embrace now; be spontaneous, be a fool sometimes.

It will set your spirit free.”

Rufio
Player

Words: 286748
Joined roleplay: June 21st, 2015, 10:40 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Bad Beat

Postby Konrad Venger on July 31st, 2017, 11:04 am

The scarred man listened in silence as the words tumbled from the soothsayer's lips. He blinked as she spoke, slow and unworried, like some big, abused house cat. The tip of his dagger worked in the crevices of his nails, soft little scraping noises wafting over the air to Rufio's ears.

They were all about him that did move. Everything else was still. Observant.

Deciding.

She was telling him nothing he didn't already know, and after he'd already warned her not to make that mistake. He wasn't some dumb horse-petching rube who would be easily taken in by cards and stones and dice and cryptic words. He'd gutted charlatans like her back home, con-men who wore the disguise of mystics.

Mayhap had he been squatting on broken cobbles, and she was another mumbling derelict in the gutter, he might do the same. One quick stab between the ribs, then off for an ale. Another message sent to the ever-watching street: Don't Try That Shyke With Venger.

But you're not home. You're here. And she's right, even if it isn't magic.

"Trust." He spat the word as if it were a curse, studying his dagger in the firelight as he spoke. "Hard thing. Not trust gods. Not trust wyrd. Not trust you."

The dagger jerked towards her, close enough for her to notice there were not scratches or scrapes on the blade. It was well-cared for, as to be expected of a man who was dependent on its precision. For a long tick, those green eyes seemed to be mulling something over. Finally he sighed, and muttered something in Common so fast and low she couldn't make it out.

"Strange place," he said, switching back to his broken Pavi, and getting back to his feet. "But you not wrong. Not about most of words."

He looked up, past her, above her, away from her, into the endless night beyond the ring of torches surrounding Endrykas. Into the past or future, she did not know. Of that, he was sure, and it made him chuckle.

"Where I come from, I take you finger, for lie that you see future," he said, with all the conversational tone of a man discussing the weather. "Maybe you eye. But not where I come from. In Horse City. And you not wrong."

The dagger went back in its sheath. The man stood there, looming over her, half-naked and smiling. Spontaneous. That meant... not what he'd usually do, didn't it? And what if the gods were speaking through her? Who was he to deny them?

"I do what you say. I do... spon-tane-ee-us." He leaned down, almost bending over to rest his gnarled face mere inches from hers. "I not do that to you. I let you keep coin. But not try shyke with me again. Now go, before I change mind."

Once she was gone, scuttling away back into the shadows like a bedraggled spider, he stood staring as the blank space she'd left. He thought of Three Eyes, as he flexed his back and the angry knot of muscle where that dagger had plunged into it spread across his skin. His leg, his arm, his back... he felt old before his time. Too stubborn to die, too mean to change...

"Well, s'comin' either way," he said with a snort. Then he shook his head. Talking to himself, now? Definitely getting old. In a tick he was back in his tent, back on his bedroll, and thought of the strange, dark girl no more.

Don't Make Me Repeat Myself.

||Common||Thoughts||Pavi||Fratava||Myrian||Other's Speaking||
Note: As of Fall 517AV, Konrad is known only as "Hansel" in Endrykas
Konrad Venger
Long is The Way and Hard

Words: 1060755
Joined roleplay: November 23rd, 2015, 4:05 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 4
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Million Words! (1)

Bad Beat

Postby Rufio on July 31st, 2017, 9:56 pm

"Trust” he spat, and Rufio found her thoughts drift to the way he had hated the bones. “Not trust gods. Not trust wyrd. Not trust you.”

While the half-Drykas had been sitting so still, hanging on his words, she flinched as the blade swung before her freckled nose. Her eyes greeted his, within that gnarled mask of scarred flesh, willing the ghosts that haunted the man to speak.

A beaten dog, snarling at everything,
        and everyone.
She reminded herself.

His gaze broke, and those hard eyes looked out at the inky night. Rufio wondered what he saw. Wondered what a man like this one thought about in idle chimes. Something pinched her heart. Not pity, that was not the Drykas way. As Rufio stared at this man, looking out at the stars and the grasslands, she wondered what sort of spirit survived whatever it was he had, and still kept walking.

"Where I come from, I take you finger, for lie that you see future. Maybe you eye. But not where I come from. In Horse City. And you not wrong."

Where do you come from? She thought, her jaw clenching as she bit back the question, knowing he would not give her the answer. From torment and a broken tower, the cards said. A broken home. Her brows lifted lightly, her ochre orbs widened imperceptibly for a flicker. He stood. He loomed.

"I not do that to you. I let you keep coin. But not try shyke with me again. Now go, before I change mind."

He did not believe the cards held a message for him, Rufio realised. The fortune-teller puffed a deep long breath as if she had been holding it a while. Tension lay in the stiffness of her spine as she spoke. “I never said I would see the future.”

Her hands gestured wildly to the stars above, to the grasslands and then rested upon her chest, rising and falling with the rapidity of her fear as well as her passion.

Story is laid in the cards “When you touched the cards it is your…wyrd…” spirit, magic, djed “…that makes them fall into these places.” I tell card story, cards tell messages.

Her fingers swept across The Tower, The Fool, to the top of the deck where she drew the most anticipated, and final card. The future.

As she flipped it over, her voice grew deep and heavy with her meaning. “It is not I, nor gods, that can divine your future. Only you..” Her ochre gaze took in his scarred face. His hate of the bones was the key, she thought. Her gaze dropped to the card she held.

From where she sat, cross-legged, the fortune-teller gathered up her things, tucking the deck back into her pocket. As she gathered the bones, she took a wolf fang, and hesitated to place it in its home with the others in the leather pouch.

It’s yellow-white glowed on her palm in the firelight and Rufio was reminded of another man who had not asked for the fortune-reading she gave him. The wooden button he had left on her table with a tarot card he chose for her still hung on a leather throng around her ankle.

He had thought himself cursed, it was the wolf haunted his dreams. Rufio believed Hansel had a wolf. Right now he was stalking it, but it knew. It waited.

With a thudding heartbeat, she stood, dust grating under her feet, reaching a fraction of Tall, Lean, Mean beside her. Her strider, forgotten and standing quietly a few paces behind her, stirred from his watchful post, grunting and shaking out his head.

With shaking hands, Rufio took the walakh’s and pressed the tarot card and the wolf fang to his palm. As if bit by a snake, she snatched her fingers away, and turned towards her strider.

Taking a fistful of his thick, black mane, she swung up a leg to clamber up onto his high, broad back. Settling into the nook behind his shoulders, he stomped, keen to be gone from the scarred stranger. The half-Drykas flexed her thighs and squeezed his flanks to still him.

“Nine of swords.” She nodded to the stiff pained leather she had given him. A woman sat in her bed, nine swords hanging on the wall behind her. She was crying, frightened, as if awoken by a nightmare. Carved into her bedpost was a scene of two men fighting, one was being defeated by another.

The fortune-teller motioned you wait for the fight “It’s vengeance that runs in your bones… Whoever was the one that put a knife in your back to bring you here, they are on your heels.” All dead, on your heels. “But this man.” She gestured to the card again. “Whether he is a ghost, or flesh and sinew…”

She paused as her stallion stomped a hoof loudly, impatient to be away, before she shrugged a shoulder and bade the man the card’s meaning. “The fight will come...whether face-to-face, or with the piece of him you keep in your spirit..." He waits for you, she signed.

She sat a tick, almost hesitant to leave the strange man. She had learnt so little of him, all her questions about where he came from, and how he made fire with his hands unanswered. Maybe she was not ready to know these things. Maybe one day she would journey beyond the grassland sea, find those answers for herself.

The Fool her sign repeated the card before the last, “it is asking you to let go of the past," live now, be here, be free "-if you do not, and keep your current path, the nine of swords is in your future.” Nightmare, pain, dark, alone. Vengeance, or ruin, does not say, but, will bring nothing good to you.

Rufio's freckled features were wide and curious as a child, clinging to a visage she knew she may never see alive again. Go, before he changes his mind/—with that—“hy-ht!” she squeezed her heels into Loha’s flank, and the red-dun stallion and his half-Drykas rider melted into the inky night. The thrum of hooves a familiar fading beat.

Rufio
Player

Words: 286748
Joined roleplay: June 21st, 2015, 10:40 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Bad Beat

Postby Kayak on September 7th, 2017, 5:04 pm

Rufio
Skills
Observation: 3
Scavenge: 1
Bodybuilding: 1
Riding (Horse): 1
Socialization: 2
Fortune-Telling: 4
Persuasion: 1
Teaching: 1
Lores
Konrad/Hansel: Covered in scars
Konrad/Hansel: Golden eyes
Konrad/Hansel: Knows no gods
Konrad/Hansel: Angered at the mention of his scars
Konrad/Hansel: The Wolf and The Dog
Konrad/Hansel: Will kill Hypnotists
Tarot Card, Tower - Upright: Disaster, upheaval, change and revelation
Tarot Card, Fool - Inverted: Foolishness, risk-taking, recklessness, naivety
Konrad/Hansel: Trusts no one, not the gods, nor the wyrd
Konrad/Hansel: Haunted by a 'wolf'
Tarot Card, Nine of Swords: Vengeance
Miscellaneous

Notes and Comments
CS Checkmarked: ✓
CS Reviewed by Me: ✓
Season Request was Submitted for Grade: Summer 517
Season Thread was Started (IC & OOC): Winter 516 & Winter 516
Is that Season's expenses paid?: ✓
Eligible for grade? Yes

Konrad Venger
Skills
Socialization: 1
Intimidation: 3
Negotiation: 1
Lores
Rufio: Reads cards for fortunes
Rufio: Knows I work fire magic
Fortune-Telling: Cards for answering questions of past or future
Fortune-Telling: Bones for hauntings, wisdom from ancestor, and bigger problems
Rufio: Reads bones for fortunes
Tarot cards are powered by your own wyrd, not the fortune teller's
Fortune: The man that stabbed me in the back will return for me, one way or another
Miscellaneous

Notes and Comments
CS Checkmarked: ✓
CS Reviewed by Me: ✓
Season Request was Submitted for Grade: Summer 517
Season Thread was Started (IC & OOC): Winter 516 & Winter 516
Is that Season's expenses paid?: ✓
Eligible for grade? Yes

Well done, both of you. I do have a soft spot for fortune telling threads. Please mark the post in queue as graded.

Built with aid from Hwyn and inspired by Sayana

Signature courtesy of the great and wise Prophet
Kayak
Retired Staff

Words: 83721
Joined roleplay: July 5th, 2017, 11:36 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)

Previous