Completed Ale Brings Comfort, Wenches Bring Fury (Shiress)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Ale Brings Comfort, Wenches Bring Fury (Shiress)

Postby Karyk on June 25th, 2017, 10:18 am

Karyk smiled and nodded at her advice, for what her father did. Karyk did remember the man as being rather straightforward. Most people in the Shipyard were that way. If Karyk took his kids out and about more, perhaps that would help keep him away from the comforts of ale, as well as helping them to cope too. This woman truly was a godsend, and Karyk sent a silent prayer to Laviku, something he almost never did, thanking him for sending a Zeltivan his way.

And she was right, that much was clear. Sharay had always had an older person's understanding of how things worked, and was a lot smarter than she seemed. Karyk remembered how his mother would, after a moment of yelling and tirade as all the women in the family would do, she'd sit them down and explain what was going on. And if she ever forgot, his father would do it in her stead, usually on a fishing trip.

Karyk let himself be led by Shiress, enjoying the crisp feel of the air in Summer when near water. He doubted he could ever live away from water. This was probably the best option for a city away from the coast. But it was still away from the coast. He already missed the salty winds, those sudden chills that a wind could bring. This city was nice, but he already knew it was temporary. A poor choice and now a place to heal.

When Shiress announced her readiness, Karyk slipped his arm so that theirs were crossed in the crook. He continued to walk where she led, "Ya know, not many good thin's 'ave 'appened since I lef' 'ome. But meetin' ya is one of the bes'. It's weird, ya know? I left 'ome to find work an' food for me an' mine. An' I did, here. Bu' lost so much to do so. Ya think 'ome will still be 'ome if I ever return?"
Follow your heart, and the plot will follow.
Karyk
Player

Words: 273057
Joined roleplay: April 4th, 2017, 4:34 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Shiress on July 2nd, 2017, 10:15 pm

Shiress glanced down at the man's arm as it entwined with hers. Her heart melted into something like a gracious sadness. Long had it been since the woman had felt such fondness. A fondness, not only for someone else, but fondness given to her. Her mind struggled to remember that such good feelings still existed in the world. That such gentle and kind men still existed. "And I'm glad I met you." she replied, eyes lifting to his. There was a need in that green eyed gaze, a need for Karyk to know how true, how much she meant those words, how much that he would mean to her for the rest of her life. "Truly I am, Karyk." she continued.

A smile slid across the slaves face as Karyk spoke of home, her eyes returning to trail along the ground before her feet. "Home will always be home, no matter what," the smile faded, slightly. "no matter who or...what...we become, home is home." She slipped a loose ringlet from her eye, pinning it behind an ear, as her voice lowered, thoughtfully. "Zeltiva will always be home. Zeltiva will always be my heart and my world. I miss it."

Shiress fell silent, swiping quickly at an escaped tear. She did miss Zeltiva. She missed her home like the moon would miss the night, or young blooms would miss the warm kiss of Syna. Zeltiva was in her, a part of her. Home would always be home.

Shiress broke away from Karyk and led the way into the boat, glancing, with a smile, at the Ravosalaman. The ravosala began gliding smoothly across the canal, as Shiress pulled her pack from around her shoulder, situating it between her feet. As the bag met with the wooden bottom, Shiress heard a soft clink. Looking down, she caught sight of a soft glint of steel as it caught a thin strip of moonlight. Leaning over, she pulled the spoon from beneath her bag, squinting down at it as she tilted it back and forth between her fingers.

Not being able to see much in the failing light, Shiress shrugged, holding it up for Karyk to see. "Pretty." she said "I hope finding a spoon means good luck." She laughed, before slipping the spoon, absently, into the opening of her bag, then looked to Karyk, pausing to mull over a question, before asking it.

"So, have you ever heard tale of a brother and sister from Zeltiva coming up missing in Sunberth?"

Shiress struggled to maintain a visage of nonchalance as she spoke, but inside, her heart pounded at her ribs as the question left her lips.
Moonlight drowns out all but the brightest stars

Character sheet
Shiress
Every path has a few puddles

Words: 918381
Joined roleplay: January 25th, 2013, 7:01 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (2) Mizahar Grader (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Karyk on July 7th, 2017, 11:47 pm

Karyk looked back into those emerald eyes of hers, lost in the meaning within them. It was a look he knew well, of someone who truly cared about him. A look he'd seen in Salara's eyes, in his children's eyes, in Natya's eyes, in his mother's eyes. The look that only a woman can give. And in that moment, Karyk's knowledge that Shiress was family, by how proper Zeltivans knew family, was emboldened. He'd fight for this woman, he'd protect her. In this new city, she was now the most important person, aside from his kids.

And if he'd learned anything from how he petched it all up with Salara, there was no way he'd run away under misguided good intentions. And Shiress had no one here, that seemed obvious. Her parents were back home, and her brother was... well it seemed she didn't know.

But yes, Zeltiva was home, and always would be. Karyk thought about having to face his parents and tell them he'd failed to keep his sister and nieces safe. It didn't matter that the shipwright knew his parents wouldn't blame him, would console and comfort him, see no fault there. Saying the words aloud to them, to see them break in pain, wasn't something he was strong enough to do.

Karyk allowed himself to be led into the ravosala, a finely made craft. As much as Karyk couldn't understand the instability of such a craft, he could certainly appreciate the craftsmanship of one. And this one was certainly a beauty. The bow was shaped into some sort of deer's head, with tall, spiraling horns, head thrown back in a leap. It's hind hooves were leaping from what appeared to be a watery surface, and ripples were carved into the wood that reverberated all the way back around the boat. It was gorgeous, finely crafted cypress wood, left with its natural coloring.

Karyk sat down opposite Shiress, keeping his pack upon his shoulders. Karyk heard the metallic noise, and looked up as Shiress showed him a spoon she'd found. A puzzled look crossed Karyk's face, he'd found a spoon just the other day. The one she showed him was skinnier, with a hint of a gold sheen in the bowl part. Karyk's face broke into a grin, and a chuckle came out. "Maybe so! I foun' one jus' the other day. Are the people 'ere so rich they's can jus' throw away fancy spoons?" He was laughing heartily from his belly now, not caring how loud and boisterous it was.

He pulled his own pack off his shoulders and began rooting around in it as his laughter started to die down. Karyk listened as Shiress asked of him of a pair of siblings having gone missing in Sunberth. For some cruel reason, a laugh tried to force itself out of his mouth, but Karyk clamped down shut. There was nothing funny about that, as Karyk looked up his face clearly a bit strained, "I dun think so darlin'. I've known," he snorted a bit to keep the strange laugh in, "a couple mates tha' wen' to Sunbert' an' never 'eard from 'em again. Too common I think."

He shook off the laughs, finding himself able to momentarily recover, and went back to digging in his bag. He found his own spoon, painted white and blue and reminded him of the surf back home. Holding it up, "I foun' this at the top of a mas' on a ship I were workin' on in the Shipyar'. Who the 'ell takes a spoon up there?"
Karyk
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Shiress on July 12th, 2017, 12:15 am

One thing will always remain true; laughter is contagious.

A flicker of annoyance passed across Shiress' features, as the answer to her question was met with mirth. It faded quickly, however, replaced by a grin of her own, spreading slowly across the annoyance on her face. Kayak's full on guffaw even had the Ravosalaman grinning.

The slave had no idea of why a misplaced spoon was so funny to the man, assuming that was what had caught his mirth, but it was nice to see someone display genuine happiness, and Karyk needed it to be happy, he had a lot of work ahead of him.

The smile gradually left Shiress' lips, as she moved her gaze out across Lake Ravok. It broke her heart that no one was talking about her and her brother's disappearance. But, truth be told, she really hadn't expected it. Somewhere near 50 season's had come and gone since that fateful voyage her family had taken to Sunberth. Shiress felt slightly...forgotten about, tossed in the wind as a bad story, at a bad time, in another life.

As maybe it should be she thought, sighing audibly.

The Ravosalaman announcing their arrival to the dock called Shiress back to present surroundings. As she slung her back around her shoulders, and stood, her heart began to speed up. Facing her mistress' vexation, at her taking several more bells to run an errand than it should have, filled her gut with dread. Karyk running into her mistress, and ultimately finding out that she was a slave, filled her gut with full on fear.

Shiress stepped out of the boat, and onto the wooden planks of the dock, scooting quickly ahead of Karyk, neck craning to see if Sayana was home. The slave relaxed, visibly, seeing no light coming from the cottage's one window. "Night shift." she said, the words escaping in a breath of relief. Turning, she found Karyk and gave the man a smile. "This is it." she said, throwing her chin in the direction of the Sullin's residence.

Shiress' eyes fell to the man's chest. "Thank you for seeing me home, Karyk." she drew in a long breath, blowing it out through pursed lips, hair around her face stirring about, before settling back. "Its been quite a night." she laughed "Thank you for..." Shiress didn't know what to thank the man for first. Not asking her a bunch of questions was on the top of the list. Telling her that her Mother and Father were alive and well was up there too. "everything" she added, belatedly.

Falling silent, Shiress began to fidget about, weight swaying from one foot to the other. She didn't want to say goodbye to this man, but knew she had to. Finally, resigned, she lifted to her tiptoes, planting one last kiss on the man's cheek, her lips lingering near his for an instant, before pulling away, blood running to her face with embarrassment at her own forwardness.

"Bye Karyk" She smiled, turned, and began walking toward home.
Moonlight drowns out all but the brightest stars

Character sheet
Shiress
Every path has a few puddles

Words: 918381
Joined roleplay: January 25th, 2013, 7:01 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (2) Mizahar Grader (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Karyk on July 13th, 2017, 4:29 am

Karyk's laughter died down, but his grin never faded, especially after seeing Shiress smile at his own raucous. Even the ravosalaman had joined in. It was an especially nice moment. One of so few in recent times. But as quickly as the woman's smile had come, it was gone, blown away by a tired sigh. Something big was troubling this woman, that much was obvious, but that was something for another day. It had been a trying day for the both of them after all.

Karyk heard the announcement as they arrived at Shiress' house, and his eyes grew wide. He'd expected an apartment like most of what he'd seen around here. Not an actual house, let alone a large one at that. Clearly this woman had access to wealth, not that it mattered to Karyk, but he never would've guessed that about her. Karyk watched Shiress stand, feeling that odd chuckle trying to force its way out. And when she climbed out, and the boat rock, a bit of one did escape his lips, but nothing more than what might seem a child laughing at something so simple. Karyk stepped out, feeling a compulsion to follow her.

He hadn't heard her first words, but did hear every single one that followed, watching her eyes cast downward. Again, something was wrong, but Karyk didn't press. As she thanked him, Karyk felt the urge to laugh hilariously, and it was a struggle to not do so. It made no sense to him. He felt as if he might die if he didn't laugh. So he did, but tried to cover it and keep it subdued to a light, casual one. And it took everything he had to do so. It came out as a light, though slightly forced laugh, "No worries darlin'. Anythin' for family. Jus' glad I could 'elp, 'specially since ya 'elped me so much."

As it grew awkwardly quiet, Karyk cast his eyes back to her home, and the surroundings, making sure to log it into memory. It wasn't terribly far from the boarding house, and he was confident he could find it again. The internal laughter started to die down, Karyk not realizing it was due to Shiress not doing anything to set it off. And that was when he felt her lips on his cheek once more. And he turned just a hair, to find their lips a breath apart. He held his breath, torn inside of to press forward or to hold off.

But she made the choice for him as she pulled away, and Karyk relaxed, only to feel that laughter welling up again. How was this woman making him laugh so much with everything she did? It made no petching sense. Karyk chuckled lightly again to release it, so as to not make an even more awkward scene, "G'nite Shiress. See ya soon."

As she walked away, Karyk turned to enter the Ravosala. But soon felt a compulsion to follow the woman. It was very unlike him. Was he still drunk or something? Maybe that was it. Because none of this made sense. The ravosalaman looked at him curiously, and Karyk shook his head, feeling the need to follow grow stronger. The boat took off and Karyk turned now watching the woman enter her house. As he moved closer to the door, the compulsion weakened, like an addict getting their fix. But it felt as if she was still moving further away, maybe to another room. Karyk would never trespass, but he did try walking around the side of the house, following that compulsion. Eventually he found a spot in a wall where it was at its weakest, on the back of the house. Karyk slumped against the wall, finding comfort in this spot, not realizing that Shiress was just on the other side of it. He sat down, trying to figure out just how he was going to get through this life. And he thought on it for so long, until Syna began to rise. As he moved to shield his eyes, he realized the need to follow her was no longer.

So Karyk turned for home, eventually finding an early morning boat. He knew the next time he met Shiress, he'd have to make it extra special. Because for the first time since his sister died, he felt a bit of hope in the future. And that was thanks to her.
Karyk
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Prophet on September 9th, 2017, 1:38 pm

ImageImage

This was a fun thread to read. The interactions were genuine and you both had no issue pulling in more than just your characters to fill in the story.

Karyk
XP
  • Shipbuilding: +1
  • Bodybuilding: +1
  • Knot-tying: +1
  • Observation: +5
  • Interrogation: +1
  • Intimidation: +1
  • Logic: +3
  • Socialization: +5
  • Organization: +1
  • Rhetoric: +1
Lores
  • Shipbuilding: Many men are needed to bend the ribs
  • Knot-tying: Using different knots to create a lock
  • Ravok Shipyard: Heavy security
  • Karyk: Drowns his sorrows
  • Interrogation: Asking direct questions
  • Karyk: Reacts quickly for his family
  • Karyk: Sobered by guilt
  • Zeltivans take care of their families
  • Karyk: Chose family over love
  • Niralyia: Karyk’s wife who lost a child
  • Logic: Understanding a chiding lecture
  • Shiress: A fellow Zeltivan
  • Logic: Putting together the evidence for one picture
  • Karyk: A man of action not thought
  • Hortense: No nonsense
  • Hortense: Lives with Oleander
  • Karyk: A silent worrier
  • Logic: Life experience makes reasoning identifying untruths easier
  • Organization: Always have a pack ready for travel
  • Shiress: Lying about her illness
  • Salara: Couldn’t keep her hands to herself
  • Zachiah Underhill: Shiress’ father
  • Zachiah Underhill: Taught Karyk about shipbuilding
  • Rhetoric: Answering questions with concise information
  • Shiress: Family-Zeltivan
  • Karyk: “Anything for family”
  • Shiress: A godsend
  • Ravok: A place to heal
  • Shiress: A reason for hope
Miscellaneous
    Overall, I thought you did a good job balancing the NPCs and your PC. There's a real flow to how you write and it's worth praising. I would like to see a bit more consistency with Karyk's accent. Sometimes it was there, sometimes it was not and other times it seemed to take on a whole new dialect without an obvious reason. Well done, 'migo. Let me know if you need something double-checked.

Shiress
XP
  • Observation: +5
  • Interrogation: +3
  • Leadership: +1
  • Unarmed Combat: +2
  • Wilderness Survival: +1 (Forest)
  • Tactics: +1
  • Rhetoric: +3
  • Cooking: +1
  • Socialization: +5
Lores
  • Sayana: Demands a clean servant
  • Shiress: Gaunt hips, the mark of a slave
  • Interrogation: Using an appropriate approach
  • Shiress: Can’t ignore the pain of others
  • Shiress: Zeltiva is home.
  • Zeltivan accent is undeniable
  • Shiress: Convicted when on a mission
  • Shiress: Built up anger makes her stomach hurt
  • Leadership: Directing a child
  • Sharay: An East Streeter
  • Sharay: A little mama to her brothers
  • Becker & Decker: Sharay’s seven year old brothers
  • Unarmed Combat: Punching between muscles hurts
  • Wilderness Survival: Using flint and steel to start a fire
  • Tactics: Creating space after rudely awakening a stranger
  • Karyk: The drunk mountain
  • Rhetoric: Using an insult to divert focus
  • Shiress: A painful past like Sharay’s
  • Shiress: Uses words to alleviate her anger
  • Unarmed Combat: Don’t push someone bigger than yourself without a solid base
  • Cooking: Making coffee
  • Rhetoric: Giving advice from past experience
  • Zane: Shiress’ brother
  • Zane: Tortured by Sayana
  • Shiress: Too weak to break the hypnosis
  • Shiress: Deeply hypnotized to love Sayana
  • Zane: A wonderful Zeltivan man
  • Shiress: A troubled life after leaving home
  • Shiress: Apologetic amidst a troubled mind
  • Shiress: Stubborn enough to risk a second faint for some answers
  • Karyk: Has a sweet, sweet Zeltivan accent
  • Karyk: Worked with Shiress’ dad
  • Zachiah Underhill: Shiress’ father
  • Lorna Underhill: Shiress’ mother
  • Karyk: Family-Zeltivan
  • Rhetoric: Giving advice on parenting from a child’s memories
  • Interrogation: Feigning disinterest to press a point
  • Zeltiva: Home will always be home
  • Laughter is contagious
Miscellaneous
    I love the way you wrote through the hypnotism!
    That's not always an easy thing to accomplish and you did it very well. Please be sure to let me know if I missed anything.
Prophet
Cannibal of Faith

Words: 816271
Joined roleplay: January 16th, 2016, 5:18 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Artist (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Previous