Solo Lessons from a foreigner

A young Drykas gets a lesson from the Syliran

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

Lessons from a foreigner

Postby Samuel Longwell on June 1st, 2017, 7:40 pm

14th Summer 517

Samuel sighed in relief as the student left. Although many of the Drykas had been eager to learn from him, realising that he had plenty to teach them, some treated him with a slight disdain. There were even a few, like the boy who had just left, who could not comprehend why an outsider was being allowed to teach. Samuel had had the word Walahk thrown at him multiple times, reminding him that although he was useful he was not one of them. His last lesson had been particularly unproductive, with the young Drykas opposing him at every turn. The Syliran didn't know how to deal with students who weren't engaged, but he hoped that it would come with experience.

As there would be a little while before his next student, Samuel picked up a training sword and shield to hone his own skills. The training dummy was wooden, in the rough shape of a man. A variety of scratches crossed the wood, its history clear for all to see. The swordsman wondered how many young Drykas had begun their weapons training on this very dummy. Samuel hefted up his weapons, setting his feet firmly, getting into a simple stance. He was ready to begin.

Samuel started slowly at first, letting his body warm up naturally. Once he got into the flow he would begin to step up the pace. His blade swung smoothly through the air, striking the dummy with a gentle thump. He stepped to the side, ducking an imaginary thrust before striking with his shield. He then stepped back into his starting position.

“One.” he counted, then repeated the move stepping to the other side. It was a simple drill, one he had done many times. Slash, step, bash, step. “Two.” Slash, step, bash, step. “Three.” Every time he completed a cycle he increased the force behind his blows, moving a little faster. Once he reached twenty, he started to sweat. He could feel it trickling down his back, an unpleasant sensation as his body tried to cool down. He pushed through the fatigue, focusing on the sound of wood striking wood he slammed the practice weapons into the training dummy again and again. Once he reached forty his breath was coming in short painful breaths. The last few repetitions hurt, as Samuel swung blade and shield with full force. The vibrations rattled through his body, every strike provoking a wince from the large man.

“Fifty.” Samuel said, shuffling over to the side. He flung the weapons down, then sat down beside them. He wiped his forehead, picking up his water skin to take a drink. Even though he was in pain, he couldn't help but grin. The feeling of blood pumping fast through his veins, the sweat trickling down his bald head, even the ragged breaths he struggled to draw in. They reminded him he was alive. The Syliran sat on the ground for a few more chimes, until a voice roused him from his introspection.

Many thanks to Prophet for the box code.
Samuel Longwell
Warrior

Words: 219143
Joined roleplay: May 19th, 2016, 2:40 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Lessons from a foreigner

Postby Samuel Longwell on September 11th, 2017, 2:55 pm

“Hey, I'm looking for a Samuel Longwell. That's you right?” Samuel looked up at the boy who'd just entered the training area and was grinning down him. Samuel nodded and pulled himself to his feet. “Nice! I've been learning how to use my sword and my parents sent me to Warstorm for some proper teaching,” the boy continued, “Cre'ran said you'd be the person to teach me and so I'm here.”

The Syliran held up his hand for the boy to stop speaking, trying to process all of the words that had flown at him in his second language. The young Drykas was clearly excited about his lesson, his enthusiasm bubbling over and making him extremely talkative. Or perhaps he's like this all the time, Samuel thought to himself with a small smile.

“Yes, I can teach you how to fight with sword.” Samuel said, signing a greeting. “What is your name?” He gestured for the boy to follow him to where the practice weapons were kept.

“I'm Jonas.” came the reply, the boy running over to catch up with his teacher. “When I'm grown up I'm gonna be a great warrior like Cre'ran.” Samuel suppressed a grin as he took another look at Jonas. The Drykas was about 12 years old, a skinny little thing with mousey brown hair. He practically bounced around with restless energy, clearly anxious to get started.

“Best to start with basics, you need them to become great warrior.” Samuel said, “Take a practice sword and come over to the dummy. I need to see what you can do.” Jonas looked a little disappointed that they were going to be using a dummy but he dutifully picked up the wooden blade and followed the large man. The pair stopped in front of the dummy that Samuel had been practising on. “Show me some simple attacks on the dummy. I will say when to stop.”

Jonas nodded, raising his blade and attacking. Samuel watched as the young Drykas swung the wooden sword recklessly again and again against the dummy. His student's stance was off, leaving him unbalanced and removing some potential strength from his strikes. And it seemed to Samuel that Jonas was struggling to keep his grip on the sword sometimes. The Syliran called a halt, deciding that it would be best to try and correct these issues now. He picked up his own practice blade and stepped into a simple offensive stance. His feet were planted slightly further than a shoulder's width apart, with his right foot forward and his blade in front of him.

“Try and stand like this Jonas” Samuel said, gesturing down and signing secure. “Like this you have good balance, not fall when enemy attacks. Right leg forward means that sword arm closer to enemy, and so sword and point closer to enemy. Stand in front of dummy and try again but return to fight stance after every attack.” Jonas nodded slowly, placing his feet similar to how Samuel had and raising his sword in front of his body. Once Samuel was satisfied he nodded. “Begin.”

Samuel Longwell
Warrior

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Lessons from a foreigner

Postby Samuel Longwell on September 19th, 2017, 9:26 pm

Jonas began again, returning to his stance every time he attacked but after only a few strikes he slipped back into his previous habits. The young Drykas' defences dropped, his strikes wild and uncontrolled. Samuel noticed that the boy's stance had also reverted to how it was before Samuel had stopped the exercise. The large man pursed his lips, it seemed his student wasn't the best listener.

“Stop Jonas,” Samuel said, “You are back to before my instructions. You are not balanced, easy to knock over.” Importance. “Strong foundations mean attack can be stronger. Again, go back into stance after your strikes.” Jonas glared at Samuel, turning back to the dummy and sighed loudly. His teacher smothered a smile, the large man thinking of the squires he had taught with similar attitudes. Clearly Jonas wasn't enjoying the lesson style Samuel had chosen.

Once more the young Drykas started to strike the dummy, but not unexpectedly a similar laziness crept into his practice and was soon swinging away with little thought. Samuel quickly called for another halt, knowing that he couldn't let Jonas keep going like that. The boy crossed his arms and turned to Samuel with a scowled etched into his features.

“This is boooring.” Jonas whined, emphasising the sentiment by signing rubbish. “why can't we actually do some sparring or something? My Daddy says the best way to train is to fight. I'm not learning anything like this.” He sat down on the ground, huffing and looking away. He signed several things Samuel had never seen before, but did manage to pick out the sign for stupid. It was clear to Samuel that his student had no more interest in the drills he had been told to do.

Samuel sighed, this was going to be a long lesson. “Okay, we'll have it your way. Grab your sword and step over here.” He picked up the practice shield and signed follow to his student. He stepped into an open area that would give them enough room to spar. Jonas wasn't learning anything because he wasn't willing to listen, but Samuel wasn't sure how to get through to him. Perhaps some sparring would be helpful, and might teach the Drykas why drills were so important. “I will use my shield, you use your sword. Aim to strike my armour with the sword.”

Jonas' face lit up when Samuel relented and said they were about to spar. He jumped up excitedly and ran over to where his teacher was waiting. He lifted the practice sword up and signed awesome fight time. Samuel rolled his eyes, and lifted his shield into a guard position. His right foot slid back to give him a solid grounding. He signed ready to his student.

“When you are ready,” Samuel said, “you may start.” The large man knew that the spar would be important, possibly shaping all future lessons with his student. Jonas nodded excitedly, then ran forward with his blade raised.

Samuel Longwell
Warrior

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Lessons from a foreigner

Postby Samuel Longwell on September 20th, 2017, 4:07 pm

Samuel had spent enough time watching Jonas to know that balance was the Drykas' weakest aspect. He suspected that the best way to convince the boy to listen to him would be to beat him without simply overpowering him. It was obvious that he was far stronger than his student, and he would not gain his respect by clashing in a feat of strength. But if he could beat him tactically, exploiting the weaknesses that had already been point out, then maybe that would help Jonas focus. And so as the boy charged in, Samuel didn't move forward to meet him. Instead he waited, allowing the boy to tire himself out in the approach. Then as his student slashed downwards with the sword, the large man simply stepped aside and gave the boy a firm shove with the shield as he passed. Jonas tumbled to the ground, rolling twice before stopping.

“Frantic attack. No balance.” Samuel signed attention. “Do not strike wildly. Strike with intention.” Purpose “Stand up, we go again.” Jonas scrambled up, spitting the dust from his mouth and wiping his face. He looked more cautious, the cocky self-confidence had vanished and been replaced by something that Samuel couldn't quite figure out. “Keep a good stance, stay at range where you can attack but I cannot.”

The Drykas nodded once, lifting the sword up and starting to circle his teacher. Samuel hefted his shield up to cover his torso and followed. The pair watched each other, neither bridging the space between them. It seemed Jonas was unwilling to strike first, so Samuel would have to take the fight to the boy. He dashed forwards, covering the distance between in them in 3 lunging steps. Jonas skittered back, swinging his sword as he did so. Samuel turned his shield, planting his right foot to stabilise himself as the two crafted pieces of wood thumped together. Jonas took the opportunity to re-establish the distance between them, it seemed to Samuel that his student had gone from one extreme to the other and was now fighting far too defensively.

Caution “Difficult to beat a shield if you fight defensively,” Samuel said, “Not impossible, but shield is better for defence no?” Continue “You need to try and get past it with your blade, not hang back.”

The boy looked up at Samuel, a look of determination in his eyes. Jonas clenched his jaw, nodding and stepping forward. The Syliran smiled, he was proud of the boy. It was difficult to face someone when it seemed like they were far superior in skill, and he admired someone who was willing to try. Once more the boy stepped forwards, then lunged at Samuel with the point of the blade outstretched. Samuel turned the sword aside with the shield, then swung his fist at his student. Jonas leapt back, avoiding the blow, then attacked once more. His blade cut from the other side, forcing Samuel back a step as he blocked. Again the Drykas advanced, sword swinging from above at his teacher's head. Samuel stepped forwards into a crouch, his shield held above his head to deflect the blow. At the same time his right hand reached out and grabbed the boy's ankle, tripping him over.

Samuel Longwell
Warrior

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Lessons from a foreigner

Postby Samuel Longwell on September 20th, 2017, 7:35 pm

“That was much better.” Samuel said, his hands shaping his approval as he reached down to help his student up. “Both attack and defending.” Mix “When you do this more pressure on me. This time I had to focus more than the first two.” Jonas smiled at his teacher, responding well to the praise. “We will try again, but this time keep further away. Do not be where my hands can grab.”

“I'll do my best Ser,” Jonas replied, a hint of respect now in his voice and signed ready. The Syliran nodded, the corner of his mouth turning up slightly. The two stepped apart, taking their positions opposite each other once more with sword and shield raised. Samuel signed that he too was ready, then they clashed once more.

As Jonas stepped in, sword swinging, Samuel also moved forward. He raised his shield to block, but had to leap back as the Drykas changed the direction of his swing in mid-air and flicked the sword under the Syliran's shield. Samuel's student pressed the attack, trying to take advantage of the large man's misstep. Samuel managed to regain his balance, then knocked Jonas back with a shield bash. The boy rubbed his arm with a grimace, twisting it round to loosen it up.

Samuel bounced on his feet, gesturing for Jonas to come. His student settled once more into his guard, brow furrowing. The boy advanced slowly, and so Samuel backed away at the same pace. The dance continued for most of a chime, neither side wanting to be the first to act. Samuel watched his student, focusing on how Jonas set his feet. He knew that people could fake where they were planning to act with their eyes, but a fighter's feet were often an excellent indicator of their intentions.

When Jonas' right foot was planted firmly in the ground, Samuel realised his student was about to attack. He took two quick steps forward, catching his student in the brief moment before he was about to begin his move. Samuel knocked Jonas' sword to the side with his shield, then pushed the boy back with a flat palm. He didn't let up, continuing forward and swinging his shield, wanting to see how his student reacted under pressure. Jonas dodged to the side, unleashing a quick stab with his blade that jabbed Samuel in the ribs just as the large man swept his feet out from under him. The boy fell hard, but did not seem upset about the fact.

“I got you.” Jonas cried triumphantly, as he leapt back up to his feet. His fist pumped in the air, a huge grin plastered across his face. Samuel nodded, his smaller smile mirroring that of his student. He signed congratulations, pleased with how his student had managed to get past his defences.

“You did well.” Samuel said, then motioned back to the dummy. “Time for a few more drills before finish.” His student's expression dimmed slightly, but the look of respect did not leave his face. Jonas simply nodded and signed his agreement, heading over to the dummies.

Last edited by Samuel Longwell on December 17th, 2017, 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Samuel Longwell
Warrior

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Lessons from a foreigner

Postby Samuel Longwell on September 20th, 2017, 8:23 pm

Grading Complete

Please edit your grade request thread so that it's obvious that it's been graded. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions/problems with your grade.

Name: Sammy

XP Award:
  • Weapon: Longsword 1
  • Weapon: Shield 3
  • Endurance 1
  • Observation 3
  • Teaching 4
  • Tactics 2
  • Unarmed Combat 2
Lore:
  • Drykas: Can be suspicious of outsiders
  • Jonas: Young Drykas student
  • Teaching: Sometimes respect must be earned
  • Teaching: Sparring to highlight weaknesses
  • Teaching: Giving compliments where they are due.
Samuel Longwell
Warrior

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)