Questions about Projection, Glyphing and Sylira

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Postby Andral Mydrafi on September 25th, 2017, 9:38 am

Hello, I have a few questions.

First, at the time of writing, Sylira seems to be (Closed).
What does this mean? Should I change my character's city to something else? Or will it be open again soon?

Second, Can Glyphing be used to ward off possession. As in, when the body is limp from full scale projection?

Third, what are, in your opinion, possible uses for projection at level 'competent'.

Many thanks in advance!
I bet Projection is really handy when you need to scratch your back but you can't reach.
(Boxart is an edited veraion of Karin's free boxcodes. Credit where credit is due)
Andral Mydrafi
Player

Words: 18932
Joined roleplay: September 25th, 2017, 6:44 am
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Asterope on September 25th, 2017, 11:11 am

Welcome to Miz Andral! For your first question, sadly a lot of the cities are closed at the moment due to simply not having enough staff to run them all; it's hard to say when it will be open again, seeing as all the STs currently have cities that they're busy with. You can definitely include Syliras in your character's backstory, but you'll probably want to pick a different location to start in. Like maybe, say....Oh, I dunno, Alvadas seems interesting. :paranoid:

Now I'm not an expert on magic, so if anyone else knows you'll probably be best off listening to them, but I did my best to come up with some answers for you.

I would assume it's possible to paint a glyph* on oneself that could, in theory, stop possession; it would likely have something to do with blocking or restricting soulmist*. Since soulmist is what was once a ghost's soul, and souls are inherently infused with djed, I feel like it's possible, though at what level I'm not sure. An easier way to stop possession, though, if one was concerned about their body when projecting, would probably be to just put down a barrier of ghostbeads*. It might also be possible to create a shield* that specifically blocks soulmist. That being said, a very determined and/or highly skilled ghost could probably get past or wear down most of these barriers. Again, this is just what I've gathered from some reading; I still recommend double-checking with someone else.

Taken from the wiki page on projection, someone with competent skill in projection can reach 10 - 15 arms length away with their astral bodies, and can move objects that weigh a few pounds. "Typical applications include stealing a money pouch, throwing or dropping rocks, tripping an attacker."* So hitting, poking, or prodding someone or pushing something like a book or vase off a shelf would be feasible, given you were in range.

Hope that was helpful! :D

"Common" | "Nari" | "Pavi" | Thoughts
"Other People's Speech"

The sun will rise, and we will try again
Asterope
A light that never goes out

Words: 661387
Joined roleplay: August 16th, 2017, 11:11 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Overlored (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)
Power Fork (1)

Postby Andral Mydrafi on September 25th, 2017, 11:40 am

Very helpful!! Thank you so much!

Though if anyone has anything to add about magic, Im all ears.
I bet Projection is really handy when you need to scratch your back but you can't reach.
(Boxart is an edited veraion of Karin's free boxcodes. Credit where credit is due)
Andral Mydrafi
Player

Character sheet

Postby Evarista on September 25th, 2017, 12:13 pm

Empty glyphs can only be used to trap magic. Ghosts are not magic and will pass through them unhindered. You'll have to put some sort of anti-ghost effect from another magical discipline into the glyphs and set them to trigger when a ghost tries to possess you.

Or go a more practical route and use spiritist ghostbeads like Asterope suggested.
Evarista
Whose eyes are those eyes?

Words: 372744
Joined roleplay: August 1st, 2016, 11:28 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Ravok Seasonal Challenge (1)

Postby Prophet on September 25th, 2017, 12:49 pm

The discipline of Projection allows the user to forcibly detach and reattach parts of their astral body, using them to perform tasks beyond the reach of the physical body.

That is from the lore. Note that it says part of the body. I could be wrong but I've never gotten the impression that one can project their entire body...especially at low levels. Please be sure to play the magic according to the lore.

Good question, though.
Prophet
Cannibal of Faith

Words: 816271
Joined roleplay: January 16th, 2016, 5:18 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Artist (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Andral Mydrafi on September 25th, 2017, 12:57 pm

Oh I know. Im just planning really far ahead.
Bad habit :P
Andral Mydrafi
Player

Character sheet