Completed Business or Pleasure?(Nya Winters)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

Business or Pleasure?(Nya Winters)

Postby Jade Laken on September 12th, 2017, 2:55 pm

15th of Fall 517 A.V.

Jade walked out of the bungalow as Dina ran out ahead of her laughing. The mother was not too excited about the idea of her daughter wanting to go into the jungle. Looking out at the ocean before their home, the woman realized that there was much for her to learn if she was to keep the child safe. With a sigh, the mother rubbed her face not certain were to begin. For the moment, she decided finding the young one would be a good place to start as ever. Thankfully there was not many places for Dina to run off to. If she had ran away in Syliras that would have been a different story, but in the tiny city of Syka there was not as many places to hide. Of course within the encampment was one thing, the blonde was more worried the child would run off into the jungle and get lost or eaten. Shaking her head, she tried to stay positive about their day.

“Come on mom!” Dina called from ahead of her while waving one arm in the arm.

Laughing some the mother grabbed her rapier and walked over as the child took off ahead again. She was happy the girl had adjusted to life without Ferrin so well. The pair walked towards the local tavern since the blonde had not been able to hunt or figure out how to fish yet. Once she could do those things, the woman planned on having home cooked meals again. But at the moment there was too much to do to get settled and try to get some kind of schedule set in place. Dina squealed causing the mother to snap out of her own mind and quickly search for the child. It did not take her long to locate her on the ground after running into a larger body.

“Dina, I have told you a hundred times keep your eyes open when you are running. Now what do we say?” Jade asked while helping the child up.

“Excuse me sir, I didn't mean to run into you,” Dina said with her head down some.

The blonde moved over out of his way as the man grunted and walked off. Sighing the woman looked down at the child and lead her on inside of the business. The smell of food hit the two making their stomach's both growl. Looking around the woman helped the young girl up to the bar before sitting beside her.

“Welcome! What can I get for the two of you?” the man behind the counter asked.

“A snack platter for her along with water and a the same for me as well. Do you know any one here who teaches fishing and hunting?” Jade asked before he walked away.

“Hm I do know of one young lady that comes in fairly often. Her name is Nya Winters, if I spot her I will point her out for you,” the man explained then took his leave of the mother and child.
Jade Laken
Even the most confident fall to fear

Words: 194195
Joined roleplay: September 12th, 2014, 2:03 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Nya Winters on November 6th, 2017, 1:30 am

]

It was a hot day. Nya knew it was going to get hot early on because the morning rain that usually came about daybreak failed to put in an appearance. There was also no wind, which was one of the indicators the heat was going to get oppressive. Syna climbed high in the sky and there were no small breezes blowing about filled with laughter. Nya missed the sound of the laughter and chattering of the little followers of Zulrav as she moved through the jungle. She was gathering today. Tucked under her arm was a leather backpack and clutched in one hand was a Kukri.

So far she had half a dozen fruits gathered, slowly filling the backpack to hand to the tavern owner. It would buy her a drink or two and maybe a cooked meal if she was lucky. Nya was mindful of how she moved as she wove through pathways she’d carefully made in the jungle. Being a kelvic was a distinct advantage. A lot of pathways were hidden to the naked eye, but smells lined the jungle where deer and elephant and even big cats like herself had passed. There were scent marks, deep tracks in the mud from the damp soil, and droppings of all kinds.

Nya steered clear of what she could hunt and what could indeed hunt her. Instead, she lifted her head, scented the wind, and tracked after some mangoes who’s sticky sweet scent had caught her attention. The forest cat felt at home here, moreso than she had anywhere she’d lived, even the her mother’s tower. She didn’t mind the dripping dank layers of foliage or the constant rain showers the higher from the beach Nya traveled up The Maw. Instead, she loved it. The world was alive here. It was filled with sounds and scents and a whole host of colors she never noticed in the woods.

Arriving at the small grove of mango, Nya set to work harvesting the fruit, pulling just ripe and near to ripe fruits that she could reach, leaving the higher ones for monkeys and birds. With her backpack full, she decided to head back towards The Tidepool. The walk would take her quite a while and by a stand of bananas that had made Nya look strangely at it once she’d discovered it. She’d cut Stu an arm of banana fingers to pack back to him over her shoulder. Launching into a light jog, careful not to jostle or bruise the fruit in her backpack too much, Nya picked up the pace.

Twenty chimes later she was cresting an odd ridge and overlooked where the bananas grew. Strangely, the trees grew all in straight rows, as if planted there, neatly, like no grove could in nature. There were a few younger trees growing in the pathways, but by and large the ancient banana trees that filled the area were almost like a plantation. Nya shook her head. It couldn’t be true.

She jogged through the rows of trees until she was on the far side and randomly cut off an arm full of banana fingers for Stu. It was heavy and cumbersome, but she threw it over her shoulder anyhow, grunting with the effort. Resuming her kelvic jog, the woman turned and headed in an almost straight line to the beach. Once she came out in Syka’s territory, Nya could take the pathway that lead through the city and hit the Tidewater in no time.

A half hour later, her brow slicked with sweat due to the heat that hit her when she came out of the jungle, Nya hit the pathway and turned towards the bar. She was there in minutes, unloading the fruit and leaving the arm of bananas in the kitchen storage area. The Forest Cat grinned at Stu and then slipped through The Tidepool and came out through the kitchen to join the main bar and restaurant area. She was tired, hungry, and seriously wanted a bath.

Nya stretched, smiled as the waiter brought her large mug of chilled water and leaned back to look around. The Kelvic drank at it, more parched than she realized, and scanned the room. She immediately noticed the woman and child, someone she hadn’t seen before around Syka. The Tidepool wasn’t exactly bustling at this time of day. And what she noticed next was the waiter pointing her out to the woman and child.

The kelvic frowned. “What?” She asked him, not sure what was going on and why she’d be signaled out. “Why are you pointing me out?” The kelvic frowned, then gestured at the kitchen. “What is Stu making today?” She asked, her stomach rumbling, causing her to halfway wish she’d done a little hunting in the woods rather than just scavenging. “He’s got a pig in the sand so we have lots of BBQ for the next two days. You like that. Want me to bring you a big platter and some fruit?” Nya nodded, thankful, and seemed to settled down at the thought of food. With her order placed, she turned to study the new woman and the child. The child caused her a frown. There was nothing more vulnerable and less likely to survive here. Children were precious, but also a huge weakness to those adults that were forced to protect them. Could the woman protect her child? Nya studied her and decided by the way she moved and the way she looked fit that maybe she could. There was a distinct warrior vibe coming off the lady, which Nya was always startled to see.

Nya herself wasn’t armed with more than her Kukri, which was nothing but a curved machete. She wore simple leather pants, a leather vest, and a thin cotton shirt that covered just enough of her torso to be decent. Her brindled hair was loose around her face and her boots were knee high and more designed to protect her from snakes than anything else. Nya looked fit, but slightly dirty, and her bright moss green eyes looked curious but suspicious.

1016 – 3296/50000

Nya Winters
Let the winds in my heart blow...

Words: 784686
Joined roleplay: June 7th, 2009, 6:53 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Trailblazer (1) Never Say Die (1)
Donor (1) 2017 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2017 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Postby Jade Laken on November 6th, 2017, 1:58 am

The blonde instantly turned to look at the woman, she glared at the group demanding to know why he was pointing at her. The mother was not surprised at the reaction, many of the squires and citizens looked at the smaller woman like she was crazy. Taking a deep breath, she thanked the man telling him that they would be joining the woman at the bar. He did not seem to mind while explaining the menu for the next several days. The blonde was happy to know that in between her pottery making, she could begin to hunt for the tavern. Dina giggled and ran ahead of her mother while climbing into the seat beside the woman looking up at her. Jade smiled gently and put her hair into a small bun as they waited.

“He was pointing you out because I am looking for someone to assist me in something,” Jade stated and sat on the other side of her daughter.

The blonde knew that the girl was likely to shut her down before the woman got a chance to explain. Her look that appeared on the other blonde woman's face made it clear there would need to be some negotiation. Taking a deep breath, the squire looked at dina as she began to eat the fruit that was brought out with a smile. Jade would not know what to do if the child had turned out to be a picky eater like she was as a little one. The Drykas was not sure how her mother had put up with trying to get her to eat. Though the girl had always been a big fan of meat if nothing else.

“Before you shut me down I am not trying to upset you or interrupt your meal more than necessary. Let me explain my situation, I am from Endrykas found within the Sea of Grass. I know how to hunt fairly well, but I do not know anything about the jungle. If you are uncomfortable about taking an unknown person into the jungle alone, I understand. I also heard you know how to fish fairly well. I need lessons in both departments seeing as how I do not know how to swim, going on the water will be something new for me,” Jade explained before the woman decided to slit her throat in front of her daughter.

Dina looked up at the blonde her mother was trying to convince to teach her how to fish and hunt better. Big eyes watched the woman for a moment while finishing the piece of fruit in her mouth. Swallowing the child turned to look at her head on taking notice of her eyes before smiling. The girl was entertained easily and often found beauty in everything around her. The predatory natural stance of the woman before her was no different.

“You have really pretty eyes,” Dina said in a soft voice before turning back to her fruit.

“Don't fill up on fruit dear. Eat some of the meat too,” Jade chided softly.

Looking up at her the girl nodded her head with smile and swallowed once more before getting some of the meat. Reaching over the mother turned the plate to where she could reach both sides with ease.

NaNo Count551
Jade Laken

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Nya Winters on November 12th, 2017, 8:37 pm

Nya listened to the other woman’s words. Her body was tense and her attention strained. She didn’t like that the woman had sat down uninvited before they had even met. And although the child was cute, to Nya the little girl was just another burden that might potentially hurt the woman’s ability to survive. People didn’t understand that, especially parents. They looked at their children with eyes blinded by love and didn’t understand the incredible vulnerability they represented. If the little girl wandered into the jungle alone, she wouldn’t last. Something would eat her or worse… there were bugs that would bite her and make her sick. And even playing in the waves of the ocean – even the shallow ones – fish or worse could take her. Nya frowned again. Children were a big risk.

The waiter brought over a huge pile of BBQ’d pork for Nya and refilled her chilled water. There was some pieces of fruit decorating the plate, but it was obvious that it was more for decoration than for the fact the Kelvic would enjoy eating it. The woman was still talking and while Nya was still listening, she wasn’t sure why she was getting so annoyed.

The woman was assuming much… like Nya could swim. She couldn’t, well not more than a kitty paddle. And while she could fish, Nya considered it anything but ‘fishing well’. The cat continued to study the woman, her human form clenched and ignoring the food the waiter had set down. Nya took a breath, then another, then waited a full minute before she responded.

As she opened her mouth to speak, the child interrupted and told her she had pretty eyes. Nya didn’t know what to think. She met the little girls eyes and said.. “Thank you.” Softly… still uncertain. The kelvic had never been around children and the fact that this one spoke so openly was surprisingly different.

Changing her mind about snapping at the woman. Instead she took a deep breath and spoke softly.

“I don’t know you. I don’t even know your name. I’m Nya Winters. But I don’t know how to do all the things you say I do know how to do. I can hunt and navigate the jungle just fine, but I care not for fishing much nor the water. I’m not sure why I should help you though. Here we barter for things, trading knowledge for knowledge. Or coin, though coin is less than important here than it would be in larger cities. I… this is a lot to think about. I don’t know you.” The Kelvic said again, stumbling over what to say.

She reached over, almost to cover her nervousness, and picked up a big chunk of what looked like pulled pork from the BBQ. She popped it in her mouth and chewed slowly. She drank carefully of the water afterwards, licked her fingers, and reached for more meat. She wondered what the woman would say. It took a lot of nerve to walk up to a stranger, expose all her vulnerabilities, and somewhat they demand one helps them.

520 = 6020/50,000

Nya Winters

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Jade Laken on November 13th, 2017, 6:44 pm

Jade sat there and listened to the woman as she expressed her concern and a certain level of distaste for the blonde. Taking a deep breath, the girl kept herself composed and seemingly unphased by the woman’s sharp tone. It was not the first time she had gotten in trouble for being very direct with people about her wishes.

The young Drykas became nervous hearing the woman talk about trades. The girl did not know enough in her own mind to offer back as a trade. Dina had cut through some of the tension by complimenting the stranger. Normally the woman would have gotten on to her for speaking to someone she didn’t know, but for the moment the girl was happy for the small distraction.

“I do apologize for coming on a little brazen. I have never really learned how to open a conversation with pleasantries. My name is Jade Laken, you have met my daughter Dina. I hail from Endrykas, so many of the things you may have learned while growing up I haven’t. My daughter can write and read; I never learned that. It was not essential on the Sea of Grass for survival. I do not know much in order to trade for your services, but I am more than willing to be an extra set of arms if you need help with anything. I will work for you until my debt is paid,” the drykas explained looking at the woman head on.

Jade like most drykas did not shy away from a challenge. She would not turn tail and run no matter what happened. Dina knew the rules in her new home, the child was to stay close to Jade unless the woman was hunting. Then the girl stayed in the house and played without letting anyone inside the building. Now her mother just had to convince the woman across from them that taking her to learn the jungle was not a bad idea. Suddenly an idea dawned on her, taking a deep breath, the woman looked at her completely serious.

“How can I convince you, I am serious? I will do whatever it takes including following you weaponless into the jungle,” Jade stated without even blinking an eye.

Dina jerked her head up stunned hearing the former squire say such a thing. Swallowing her mouth full of food, the child began to argue with her, but the look on Jade’s face told her to stay quiet. Pouting the little one did not say anything but instead returned to eating. The child had given the Drykas a run for her money always trying to sneak off after being adopted, but with determination the woman finally got control of her. It was clear the little girl was worried for her mother; however Jade put a gentle hand on her head to reassure her everything would be just fine no matter what would come of their meeting with Nya Winters

NaNo Count493
Jade Laken

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Nya Winters on November 20th, 2017, 2:25 am

Truthfully eating the barbecued meat helped settle Nya’s mood. When she was hungry, she tended to be angry and she’d definitely worked up an appetite before she’d stopped by The Tidepool. The woman’s demands had set her off too, triggering both her uncertainty of new people and their ignorance of how things were. Nya hated to be reminded how ignorant she’s been before Ravok. She really did. And Jade standing before her like this… with a child no less… reminded her of herself. Stupid of the world, skill-less, sheltered. Nya knew she should walk away. Unless the lady was hurt and hurt quickly so she could learn, she’d continue to be blind to the world.

Nya could tell her, explain things, but the Kelvic doubted the woman would understand or even believe her. She might nod and say she understood, but understanding couldn’t come until one was truly powerless. And that Jade was walking around, pretty like she was, with a child, and completely healthy and happy meant that people had been doing for her.

The Kelvic had no idea what Endrykas was or how someone could grow up not knowing how to read because books held secrets and hinted at what was real as well. One just had to listen. Nya could smell Jade’s nervousness and the way in which she spoke, spilling out an apology and then offering Nya everything.

She basically wanted to put herself under Nya’s power and had no idea how stupid that might be. “Never offer to put yourself in debt to someone who might take advantage. There are bad people in the world… really bad people. There are people that will collar you and sell you to the highest bidder and make you nothing more than a body. They will strip you of your identity and take away everything you care about, even that little girl there.” Nya said, taking another mouthful of meat and washing it down with the cool water.

The Kelvic looked Jade over thoughtfully. “Where are you staying? I have room in my tent for a few more people and having more eyes to watch for danger would be good. I can take you into the jungle and teach you what I know, but I cannot help you with most of what you wish for me to teach you. I only know how to survive in the jungle and hunt. Swimming and fishing are beyond me though I am slowly learning and in doing that you can come along and learn with me. The girl is a liability, a weakness, and she shouldn’t be in the jungle at all until she’s older or until you are skilled enough to watch out for her. I can watch out for you while you are with me and I am teaching you, but watching for two would be no good. Maybe you can get someone here to watch her or get her to help with something while you are with me. I can’t have her slow us down in case we need to run or fight.” Nya said thoughtfully, unsure why she was even remotely agreeing to this scheme.

No, she really knew. The Kelvic was lonely and wanted someone around. Since Abashai’s departure, nothing had been the same and the days had been very lonely. That’s why she often volunteered to help with things in the community – like pest control at The Commons – and gathering food. And since Jade was a woman, she wouldn’t be as intolerable as a male was at this point in Nya’s life.

“You say you have no skills though. You must decide to learn something to give back here. Everyone hunts and fishes. But the settlement needs more than that. They need things… things people make. What can you make? Surviving the jungle won’t be enough.” She added, taking another big mouthful of meat. She then peeled a banana and started eating it too. It was probably one she’d hauled in from the wilds for the bar owner.

676= 8948/50000

Nya Winters

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Jade Laken on November 21st, 2017, 4:12 am

Jade was glad to see the woman starting to calm down. The mother's nerves slowly began to relax some as the other lady began to decide on whether or not to teach her. A blush appeared on her face as the blonde chastised her for offering herself to a strange without thinking. The woman put a hand on Dina's head ruffling her hair some knowing that she would never allow anyone to take her. She turned to listen to Nya once more as she asked where the girl was staying.

“I am renting one of the bungalows right now for the two of us. I would appreciate anything you are willing and able to teach me. Dina wont be coming with us into the jungle I can assure you,” Jade stated trying to put that fear to rest, “I met a young woman with a child as well earlier in the season. I will see if she minds watching Dina when necessary.”

Jade asked for two glasses of water when the waitress came back to check on the group. She nodded and turned walking away from them. Dina burped putting her hand over her mouth before looking up at her mother and excusing herself. The blonde moved the plate in front of herself and gave the child her paper and colors. Gasping excitedly, she moved on to her knees and began to draw. Eating some of the fruit as well the blonde listened when Nya began talking once again asking more questions of the woman. Swallowing, Jade made sure to take her time and answer each question as much as she could.

“I have several skills, a little pottery, a little rapier talent, dancing and singing, some hunting, and a little bit of tracking. They are nothing to brag about in the least,” Jade explained and allowed the woman to access her further.

The Drykas was not bothered in the least by being looked over like a vulture. Her mother had watched her the same way when trying to teach the child how to make pottery. After many failed attempts, the woman would just send the child away and finish the work herself. Jade always felt inferior to her siblings as a result, and now even more inferior to those around her. The blonde finished eating what was left of the fruit before looking at the girl once more.

“Would you like to meet up later on in the day? It will give you time to think over everything and I am willing to answer any other questions you may have,” Jade stated calmly.

NaNo Count438
Jade Laken

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Nya Winters on November 23rd, 2017, 10:18 pm

Nya ate quietly, over the feeling that she needed to lecture the woman. In the Kelvics mind she’d offered the woman good advice to which the woman hadn’t responded or even acknowledged. Jade was remarkably good at picking and choosing which questions to answer and which to skim over and ignore. The Talderian Forest Cat found the trait mildly frustrating. Nya was glad the woman had her own housing. She’d regretted offering her space immediately, not because she didn’t like the woman, but because she liked her privacy. The child though, Nya was sure, would annoy her quickly.

She had horrid table manners, the kelvic noted, as the girl belched like a sailor. Nya flashed her teeth in annoyance. The woman was too indulgent of the child. The kelvic could tell the child was soft, coddled, and unprepared for life in the settlement. If Nya had offspring, she’d take them into the jungle early, teach them the right way to survive, and keep them strong.

When Jade started listing her skills, Nya took a big drink of water and listened carefully. Though she noted several things, there was no talk of what she’d offer the settlement or what she was planning on doing to survive here. Perhaps she was wealthy? Her clothing was sturdy and far better than most of what Nya owned. The Talderian Feline kept staring at the woman and her child namely because she was trying to decide what was going to kill them first…. The weather? Predators? Their own ignorance?

The Talderian Forest Cat was starting to get full. She yawned and nodded. “I’ll tell you what. Let’s grab a few bells of sleep. It’s nearing midday anyhow. That’s usually what everyone does around here during the high sun. Then, around a bell past midday, let’s meet at The Commons and I’ll take you on a run about the city and jungle. If you can keep up without complaint and handle some of the obstacles I know are around, I’ll let you train with me and show you a few things about surviving in the jungle.” Nya said, feeling this was generous without being to wasteful of her time. If the woman couldn’t lkeep up, there was no point in her teaching the woman since the woman wouldn’t be living longer than a few days anyhow. One had to know how to run and move in ones body in order to live here.

It would be a hard first lesson for Jade, but if she was willing to learn it, then it might be worth Nya’s time to teach it.

435 = 10546/50000

Nya Winters

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Jade Laken on November 25th, 2017, 4:36 am

Jade listened to the girl gently as she spoke once more while watching the child and mother. She had not meant to dodge over any knowledge that the native had spoke to her. But the mother wanted to keep them on target. The drykas knew that there was much to learn while trying to support the pair. The blonde had not expected Ferrin to just leave them and follow his uncle when syliras closed its gates or for Ball to leave them alone in Riverfall. After the lose of people close to her, the woman pulled in to herself, and moved the pair to Syka hoping for a new beginning where no one knew her. Though she was beginning to realize what a hardship raising the little one alone was. If the girl ever cried about the stress and worry, it was never in front of Dina. She had to keep a sense of control in front of her daughter.

“Okay,” Jade said with a nod looking at the woman, “Dina tell her good bye. It's time to go, we have things to do and you need a nap.”

“But mom!” Dina whined looking at her with big eyes.

“Sweetie you aren't the first to try that. Now say good bye, if I have to say it a third time I'm going to tear your tailend up,” Jade stated calmly with some authority in her voice.

“Sorry mommy. Good bye Miss Nya, it was a pleasure to meet you,” Dina said gently looking up at the woman.

“Good bye for now, Nya. I will see you in a few hours,” Jade explained.

She lead the child out of the business while stretching. Her rapier gently shifted at her hip as the woman walked. It proved that she had weapons, but her actual ability to use them had not been tested before the move. Now it had become more for show than anything else.

NaNo Count329
Jade Laken

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Nya Winters on November 26th, 2017, 4:37 am

Jade

XP: Planning 3xp, Observation 4xp, Childcare 5xp, Interrogation 2xp, Persuasion 4xp, Rhetoric 2xp, Negotiation 4xp, Deduction 1xp

Lores: Nya Winters: Might Be Able To Teach, Location: Tidepool Bar, Nya: Appearance and Demeanor, Nya: Can’t swim. Nya: Knows The Jungle, Nya: Dislikes Children

Nya

XP: Observation 4p, Foraging 1xp, Planning 3xp, Bodybuilding 1xp, Interrogation 3xp, Deduction 2xp, Negotiation 2xp, Persuasion 1xp

Lores: Where Mango’s Grow, Where Bananas Grow, Jade: Appearance and Demeanor, Jade: Looking to Learn About The Jungle, Dina: Jades Child, Jade: From Endrykas, Jade: Renting A Bungalow, Jade: Pottery, Rapier, Dancing, Singing, Hunting, and Tracking.

Nya Winters

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes