Solo New Year, New You

Avela celebrates the new year with her family.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Considered one of the most mysterious cities in Mizahar, Alvadas is called The City of Illusions. It is the home of Ionu and the notorious Inverted. This city sits on one of the main crossroads through The Region of Kalea.

New Year, New You

Postby Avela on March 6th, 2018, 2:15 am

1st of Spring, 518 AV

Avela had been living on her own for an entire season, and because of that, had developed a sort of routine. Most days started with her waking up whenever she felt like it, a privilege that had often been denied to her at her parents' house. Once she was awake, she ate breakfast--usually something sweet, or leftovers from whatever she'd had for dinner the night before--cleaned up, and started reading her mother's journal. She'd write down whatever Kontinese words she didn't understand, saving them for when she had the chance to run down to see Kay'Layza, then started on her tasks for the day.

Today, however, wasn't a normal day. It was the 1st of Spring, the first day of the new year, the celebration of the survival of the Valterrian and, possibly most importantly, her stepmother's birthday.

Which meant that Avela spent her morning digging her One Good Dress out of storage, and frantically trying to do something with her hair.

It wasn't enough that the water restrictions meant she hadn't been able to wash her hair as much as she would have liked - her hair still wouldn't calm itself down, no matter how many times she ran her comb through it. Finally, giving up, Avela gave herself over to her stepmother's disapproval and tied it back with a strip of cloth roughly the same color as her dress. She then struggled into the dress itself, taking care not to dirty it or tear it.

Her One Good Dress, her stepmother's gift to her when Avela became old enough to wear it. It was a maroon dress made of damask cotton, and probably worth about four of the dresses Avela would buy for herself. It was also the only thing she owned that would suit the occasion.

And one of the fastenings was stuck.

Avela reached behind herself with horror, trying to coax the fastening closed. No, she thought. She couldn't possibly...

She couldn't possibly have gained weight, could she?

True, she hadn't really been cooking for herself - her hearth was mostly used to melt wax and make candles. But she hadn't thought she'd been eating that unhealthily, and she had been moving a lot last season.

It was probably because she was still growing. Of course. That was what it had to be.

Avela held her breath and sucked in her gut, feeling like she was trying to twist herself into a pretzel as she reached behind her and tugged at the fastening. She let out a sigh of relief as it closed, smoothing her hair back and straightening up. See? Nothing to worry about. She reached down with her hands, smoothing out the skirt.

Her present for her stepmother waited for her on her table, carefully boxed and packaged from the night before. A set of pomegranate-scented dipped candles, a bright red to match the color of the fruit, and some of the best ones Avela had made (she'd made sure of that). Hopefully even Sabina Sallis would be pleased with the offering.

Avela reached for the package and her keys and disappeared out the door, willing the city for passage to her parents' house and sending a quick prayer to Ionu that it didn't take her down too many detours today.

"Common" "Kontinese"
Template by Gomer Caitiff
Avela
Player

Words: 95329
Joined roleplay: January 7th, 2018, 7:26 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)

New Year, New You

Postby Avela on March 9th, 2018, 4:16 am

The city was thankfully cooperative.

Avela started out as she always did, walking down the road outside her house. It actually was a road today, a very nice cobblestone street with benches laid out between lampposts and flowering trees displayed at odd intervals, as if the city itself was celebrating the coming of spring. Remembering what the fox had told her about Ionu during the masquerade, Avela wondered whether this was Ionu's way of greeting the new year.

She kept a careful lookout as she walked, looking for anything that caught her eye. There was a tree covered in white blossoms on the next intersection, and Avela found herself gravitating to it. The tree was beautiful and the blossoms smelled sweet, so she allowed herself to admire it for a little while before turning right.

Everyone had their own way of getting around Alvadas, and this was Avela's. Walk straight until she found an intriguing illusion or an interesting sight, then turn right. Or left. It really depended on how she was feeling that day.

Paper streamers that turned out to be made of thousands of living butterflies- a right turn.

A puddle of melting snow that reflected the street and the people passing by as a splash of watercolor art - a left turn.

A path lined half with snow and half with flowers, as if winter and spring were bleeding into each other along the walkway - a right turn.

A pair of dancers, their clothes cycling through an array of colors as they moved and whirled - another right.

Her family home appeared in almost no time at all. A glance up at the sun told her that it hadn't even been a bell since she left her house, which had to be some kind of record. The food probably wouldn't be done cooking yet.

She felt a smile of triumph as she made her way up to the front door. Let's see her stepmother have anything bad to say about that. Still grinning, Avela knocked on the door.

"Common" "Kontinese"
Avela
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

New Year, New You

Postby Avela on March 9th, 2018, 4:18 am

A child squealed from inside, and Avela heard the patter of little feet making their way towards the door, followed by the familiar voice of a man calling out.

"Oof! Nerea, don't run off like that! I'll be just a minute!"

Heavier footfalls approached the door, and then it swung open.

Talien Sallis was older now, approaching his middle age. His hairline was receding, and he was wider around the middle than he had been during his youth. But his eyes were still the kind eyes that Avela remembered, and his smile was fond as he looked at her. Nerea, the four-year-old girl who was standing next to him, launched herself at Avela with a shout, wrapping her arms around Avela's waist and nearly knocking her over.

"Vela!" Nerea squealed.

"Oof," Avela said, placing a hand on the little girl's head. "You have to be careful, Nerea. You're getting bigger, you know."

"It's good to see you, Avela," Talien said, opening his arms. "Happy New Year." Avela took the invitation and embraced him, careful not to jostle the package of candles she was carrying. Being held by her father was warm and comforting, and for a moment, Avela didn't want to let go.

But she was the grown-up, independent child of the family, after all. She couldn't cling to her father forever. Reluctantly, she pulled away.

"Happy New Year to you too, Papa," Avela said, "Where's Sabina? I have a surprise for her?"

"She's in the kitchen," Talien said, with a bemused smile. "I have no idea what she's doing in there. She's told me to stay out of it."

Avela smiled. "That sounds like her."

"Anything for me?" Nerea asked, tugging at Avela's dress. Avela grinned, ruffling her hair. It had been tied into two neat little braids for the event. Avela had a feeling Sabina would hate her for messing it up.

"Of course, sweetie," Avela said. "I have sweets for you, and for Kairen too. Where is that little brat, anyway?"

A look of worry passed over her father's face, creasing his brow. "Kai...isn't here," he said.

"What do you mean, he's not here?" Avela asked, half-thinking her father was joking. "Does he live somewhere else these days?"

"He left after breakfast," Talien said. "We're not sure where he went. It's a...sore subject for your stepmother, but you know how he is. He'll be back soon."

"Right..." Avela said, although she couldn't help but worry. Kairen really had to stop getting himself into these sorts of things. "I'm going to see Sabina, and then I'll be right back, okay, Papa?"

"You do that," Talien said, "I'm sure she'll be happy to see you."

Avela privately wasn't so sure, but she didn't say anything, patting Nerea on the head once more before walking towards the kitchen.

"Common" "Kontinese"
Avela
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

New Year, New You

Postby Avela on March 11th, 2018, 3:42 pm

As she neared the kitchen, Avela heard the telltale sound of her stepmother moving, pots and pans clanking as she started putting together a meal. Her stepmother had never been the world's best cook, but that didn't stop her from trying. Avela privately thought that she didn't need to push herself as hard as she did to be what she considered the perfect homemaker, especially not on her birthday, but she wasn't going to say as much to her. Instead, she drew in a deep breath, gathering her courage, and stepped into the room.

"Hello, dearest stepmother!" Avela said, "I've brought you a present!"

Sabina jumped and nearly dropped the knife she was holding. She whirled around, clutching her free hand to her chest. "Avela!" she said. "Don't scare me like that, girl. I thought my heart was going to stop."

Avela set her package down on the table, frowning in concern. Sabina Sallis was many things, but jumpy was not usually one of them. Now that she was looking at her stepmother closely, she noticed that her usually neat clothes were in disarray, and there was flour in her dark hair. "Is everything alright?" she asked, in a more measured tone.

Sabina set down the knife and immediately started trying to straighten out her hair. "Of course everything is alright," she said. "It's just that brother of yours. I honestly don't know what to do with the boy." She gave Avela a sharp look. "I don't suppose you've seen him?"

Avela's concern intensified. Things had to be bad if her stepmother was complaining about Kairen to her. She was used to being the troublesome child, not a peer and certainly not a confidant.

"No," she said. "I haven't, unfortunately." She hesitated and then decided that wanting to know was worth drawing her stepmother's ire. "Is...everything alright with him?"

"Oh, I don't know," Sabina said, letting out a sigh as she turned back to her cooking. "He's always been..." She frowned, her mouth twisting as if saying the word pained her, "...difficult, but lately he's been more unmanageable than usual. We can hardly keep him in the house." A tremble moved through her, before her stepmother mastered herself, standing up straighter. Avela pretended not to notice. Instead, she put on a forced smile.

"Well, you shouldn't be worrying about him today!" she said. "It's your birthday, and the new year! Come, look what I have for you!"

"I suppose you're right." Sabina turned, facing Avela and the package she had set down. And as she did, her eyes narrowed, her gaze becoming the critical one that Avela knew so well as she looked her over. "Have you gained weight?"

"Ah..." Avela began.

She was saved having to answer by the sound of an opening door.

"Common" "Kontinese"
Avela
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

New Year, New You

Postby Avela on March 15th, 2018, 2:37 am

Sabina's eyes darted toward the door instantly. Avela, who had seen the sharp expression on her face directed at her more than once in the past, winced in sympathy as her stepmother brushed past her, walking out into the hallway. Avela followed in time to see Kairen ducking into the house. He looked dirty and disheveled, which wasn't all that unusual for him, and his bright yellow coat was streaked with dust and grime.

"Kairen Sallis!" Sabina called. "Where do you think you're going, young man?"

Kairen jumped, shooting Sabina a look from underneath a mop of dark hair. He caught the full force of her powerful gaze and cringed, but held his ground. "Upstairs," he said. "I'm going to change before the party."

"What happened to you?" Sabina asked. "How did you become such a mess?"

"Uh...got into a bad illusion," Kairen said, rubbing at the back of his neck. "False street. Dropped me in a mud pit. Sorry?" He tried for a smile. It didn't quite reach his eyes.

Sabina pinched the bridge of her nose, letting out a long-suffering sigh. "Put your clothes outside, and try to clean up?" she asked. "Honestly, with all these water restrictions, you'd think you'd be trying not to get covered in mud. I'll see what I can do to make sure it doesn't stain."

Kairen nodded and quickly ducked away, taking the steps two at a time. He didn't even pause to say hello to Avela. Sabina didn't seem to notice anything odd, although she did shake her head as she walked into the kitchen. "Ionu take that boy..." she muttered under her breath. "He's been nothing but trouble from the start. I have no idea where she gets it from him." She looked towards Avela sharply, as if realizing that the Konti girl was just staring into space. "What are you standing around for, girl? Weren't you going to help me in the kitchen?"

"I--yes," Avela said, looking back at her. "Of course. I'm here to help. Did you want me to set the table?"

Sabina sniffed, sending Avela off to gather plates. She did so, but her mind was still on Kairen. Her stepmother didn't seem to have noticed it, which was strange, given how sharp Sabina Sallis usually was. It made Avela wonder if she had imagined things, but no...she was fairly certain of what she saw. Kairen had been babying his right arm, holding it close to himself as he made his way up the stairs.

And there had been a bruise on his neck, barely showing under the fabric of his coat, like someone had grabbed him there.

"Common" "Kontinese"
Avela
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

New Year, New You

Postby Madeira Dusk on April 8th, 2018, 9:32 pm

Grades Awarded!

Don't forget to edit/delete your grade request!

Avela

Skills
  • Organization: 1xp
  • Cosmetology: 1xp
  • Observation: 4xp
  • Land Navigation: 1xp
  • Socialization: 2xp
  • Investigation: 1xp

Lores
  • Organization: setting a routine
  • Land Navigation: how to traverse Alvadas
  • Observation: noticing when something is wrong

Awards & Retribution

Notes
I love your little slice of life threads. It's so very real and relatable and sympathetic. Now I'm hoping Avela's little brother is ok!

Enjoy your grade. Let me know if I missed anything :)
Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Words: 1599220
Joined roleplay: October 11th, 2016, 7:45 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (3)
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) Lhavit Seasonal Challenge (1)
2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)