Solo Plot Your Revenge

Madeira is used to dealing with the dead. It's the dying she has trouble with.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Considered one of the most mysterious cities in Mizahar, Alvadas is called The City of Illusions. It is the home of Ionu and the notorious Inverted. This city sits on one of the main crossroads through The Region of Kalea.

Plot Your Revenge

Postby Madeira Dusk on January 7th, 2018, 1:27 am

25th of Winter, 518
Madeira had spent the better part of two days tucked into the corner of the bedroom in a strangers house, scribbling in her notebook and pretending she didn't exist.

People she did not know were gathered around an enormous canopied bed making soft, distressed sounds at the frail old man drowning under it's covers. What little of him Madeira could see from between their elbows described a man with bells left to live. He had the deflated look of a well fed man who had lost weight quickly. There was too much sallow yellow skin hanging off his old, brittle bones and the hollow planes of his face. Too weak to sit up unsupported, his body was propped up by a tower of pillows to ease his chest, which sluggishly struggled to pump his blood. Of course, they said he was on his final bell several days ago. Either the nurse from Ionu's Mercy, who denied him use of his pipe and doggedly fed him broth with a sponge on a stick, was very good at keeping him alive, or the man was keeping himself in the mortal realm through the sheer power of spite. Madeira guessed the latter.

"I won't sign any of your petching forms, you greedy little asshat. The company can jolly well die with me. Oh, don't give me that. I never liked your little bastards anyway."

Madeira was impressed with the robustness of the ill Master Keaton’s voice. Though there was a whisper of the death rattle in his powerful tenor, he could work up some hefty volume.

"The house? The house? Ionu petch this house. I hope it rots around your ears."

In her notebook Madeira had drawn a snake into an ouroboros, and was considering how best to fill the circle. She had begun this exercise some time ago as a way to both keep her mind sharp and pass time. It was a hypothetical game, where she would develop Malediction circles to use on the corpses of her friends and relatives. Having grown up in the lap of death and magic, the fact that this was an incredibly creepy thing to do was completely lost on her.

This one would be for Ssanya, her Malediction teacher. But for which part of her body? She tapped the ink stick against her lower lip. What trait of Ssanya's she would want to bring out of her body after death? She was strong, of course. Resilient. But to prioritize physical prowess felt like such a waste when her mind was the part she admired most. So she narrowed it down: what was it about her personality and mind that she wanted to draw out? Her loyalty, perhaps? Maybe she could cut the Dhani to pieces and hide her preserved body in the walls of a house, so all who lived in it would be loyal to each other? Ugh, no, that’s so wrong... Cutting her to pieces would diffuse her body's power to fractions.

Around the bed, the old man's relatives clucked like chickens. Their voices were persistent and gentle, as if reasoning to a very small child. Even from her perch in the corner of the room Madeira could see the insincerity behind their dewy eyes and sympathetic smiles. They were pushing papers into his lap and pens into his hands, asking if he would please, please, sign them. Money needed to be distributed, power had to change hands, debts had to be settled. They never used such indelicate language at the dying man’s bedside, however. It was set in code, they called it 'inheritance' and 'legacy' and 'affairs'.

"I don't petching care. Throw my gold into the streets and my body into the Divine Legacy. Except my middle finger. Give that to Howard and tell him to sick it up his ass."

No, Ssanya's faith had to be resurrected, Madeira decided, smiling to herself. That unflinching reverence for death. She would take Ssanya’s tongue that had never spoken a word against Dira and tattoo the charm on it's bed. Madeira began gleefully planning her circle.
x
Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Words: 1599220
Joined roleplay: October 11th, 2016, 7:45 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (3)
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) Lhavit Seasonal Challenge (1)
2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Plot Your Revenge

Postby Madeira Dusk on January 26th, 2018, 2:50 am

She drew a horizontal line through the circle, then followed the curve in a crescent shape to resemble a scythe. It was the mark of Dira she once saw on a Kelvic Eiyon. Okay, so she had the symbol for the god, but what else? Maybe a symbol for truth. She had just put ink to paper when she realized how disastrous that might be. Faith and truth were too often at each others throats.

"You're all vultures, the lot of yeh. Out! Out I say! If I'm gonna die I don't want your mugs to be the last thing I see. Out!"

Perhaps this is where Ssanya's loyalty would come out. She drew the word for loyalty in a clockwise circle enveloping the scythe. Then she connected the letters with one unbroken line, to signify the steady, unending quality of her loyalty. To finish she wrap it around the handle of the scythe, so they would not only speak their loyalty, but also defend it. There! A snake, a scythe, loyalty and the symbol of eternity, to be tattooed onto the bed of Ssanya's severed tongue.

The talking was growing more distressed, the edges of frustration peaking through the frayed cloak of good intentions. Though no matter what was said, the gathered never raised their voices. As if death was a sleeping thing they were trying not to wake.

"No! No more!" the old man roared. "The last person in this room will be struck out of every will and get absolutely nothing from me!"

Suddenly there was a mad thunder for the door. More than one elbow found its way into familial flesh as people pushed each other behind to be sacrificed on the altar of Keaton's good graces. Madeira missed the kerfuffle completely. She was doodling a pair of goggly eyes onto the snake of her lover’s finished Malediction circle when she looked up to discover herself alone with the irritable dying man.

Master Keaton was blinking owlishly at her, deepening the roadmap of lines on his face as he looked her over from her soft leather slippers to her tight, prim blonde hair.

"Who the petch are you?"

Madeira looked behind her. After several days of silence and playing deaf to the family drama, it took her a moment to realize he was talking to her.

“Yes you, the skinny little runt. You one of mine?"

"No, sir."

“Huh, good. I was under the impression I'd passed on better genes. Come here, girl. You don't just look like a mouse you squeak like one too."

It was with great reluctance that Madeira dragged her chair to his bedside. Perhaps if she took long enough, she reasoned, he would be dead before she would have to talk to him. Sadly that was not the case. She sat next to him and suffered the hawkish gaze of his sickly yellow eyes.

"My name is Madeira, master Keaton. I'm the Spiritist your family hired.”

"One of those hoodoo witches? What, do they want to curse me into the afterlife? Did Howard hire you?!"

"N-No, that's not-“ she struggled to explain herself in a sensitive way. "Your family hired me to make sure your death is… peaceful. They seem concerned that you may, uh, return, sir. From the dead”

This was not precisely how ghosts worked. Most people did not have the willpower to come back as a ghost. Those who did could take months or even years to manifest. This was explained to the family who hired the Craven services, but they were insistent that if anyone would come back, it was the Master. Plus, their money was good. So when the Master’s condition went from mortally ill to actively dying, the Craven house shunted their most expendable member to wait the long game and fulfil the family's misplaced expectations.
x
Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Plot Your Revenge

Postby Madeira Dusk on February 27th, 2018, 6:21 am

Keaton’s rheumy eyes, gummy with congealing fluid and starry with cataracts, had lost none of their piercing quality. He must have been at least partially blind, yet the way he looked her in the eye and chewed on her words said he was looking at something deeper than the flesh. Then he smiled, showing a bloodless mouth and startlingly white teeth.

"Return, eh? Now that's not a bad idea."

Madeira stared. Something in her mind ground to a halt as that sliver of logic was thrown into the gears. She opened her mouth, paused, closed it, tried again. Yet she couldn't make the sounds come out.

"Blink!" Keaton suddenly barked from his bead. "Gods damn it girl, you have the eyes of a dead fish. If you blinked more the world would have to look at them less."

"Sir", she began again, goading into finally speaking. "you cannot come back. You'd be a ghost." Or, with the curse of Ulder, something much worse. But she wasn't about to put more ideas in his head.

He scoffed at her with a dry, hollow sound from his chest. "Girl, I’m ninety three years old. And all of that has gone to building this fisherman's son into something worth a lick of salt. I refuse to leave everything I worked for behind. Especially to them", he looked to the door and sneered at the people who were no doubt fighting for the opportunity to press their ears against the wood. "But see here, if I don't die, nobody can do jack shyke to replace me. So damn it all, I'm staying right here."

Then he crossed his frail arms over his skinny chest, shimmied deeper into the covers, and stared at the canopy with a look both swimming in self-satisfied smugness and ridged with steely determination. He was waiting to die and waiting to live at the same time.

"Have you ever met a ghost, sir?" Madeira asked, trying to keep the anxiety out of her voice. "I don't mean glimpsing one in dark alleys and empty houses, and I don't mean fleeing an angry spirit. I mean met one. Talked to it."

He didn't look at her, or acknowledge her presence. Instead he pursed his bloodless lips, took a stuttering breath of air, and blew a glorious raspberry.

"I do not care. You are no longer needed. I'm running this life from beyond the grave, thank-ye-very-much."

Madeira wiped errant spittle off her cheek with the corner of her sleeve.

"If you want to be a ghost I can't stop you." she pointed out. “But wouldn't you like to have met someone who's died before? Just to know what you're up against. It won't take five chimes." she prodded gently.

"Five chimes is expensive when you only have a handful left."

"Then doesn't the answer to death sound like something you need to spend them on?"

"Hummph", he snorted, but didn't argue.

She was willing to take that as consent. From his bedside table she took a clean metal syringe out of the nurses leather satchel. And after a few tries of plunging it clumsily into her forearm, she managed to find a vein and draw out a thimbleful of blood. Beside her
Keaton was trying not to look.

"I'm already dying." he said uncomfortably. "I don't know why you’re trying to give me whatever anemic disease you've got."

"I'm calling a ghost, sir. Blood becomes very important when you’re dead. If you're to be a ghost you might want to get used to the sight."

Directly on the sterile, polished mahogany end table she then used the needle tip and steady pressure on the plunger to make a sixteen-point star.

But who should she summon to talk to Keaton? Not Jomi, of course. He would get a kick out of convincing him that a ghostly half-life was a fine choice. If it actually worked he'd torment the new ghost for the fun of it. Hurik was the better option. His own confusion about death and about the life and love he left behind might be enough to scare the Master. But then again, Hurik was unpredictable. It was possible he'd kill the fragile human if they triggered one of his episodes.

She considered the moonstone ring on her left hand, laced in silver. She could feel the gentle tide of Emma's soulmist inside. The girl wasn't of sound mind. She hadn't taken to death nearly as well as the others. She was lost and frightened and incredibly lonely and she wouldn't be able to give Keaton the concrete answers he wanted. But perhaps she had something he needed to hear. Madeira worked the ring from her finger and placed it in the star.
x
Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Plot Your Revenge

Postby Madeira Dusk on February 27th, 2018, 6:29 am

Aware Keaton was watching her, Madeira closed her eyes and blocked him out. He was probably expecting sparks and dramatic puffs of smoke. But Spiritism was not a flashy magic. From deep in her soul she reached for the ring and the small portion of soulmist inside. Using the power of her living spirit she resonated with it, searching for the ghost it belong to like a hand groping in the dark. Finally through the connection she found the spirit that resonated back. Latching on to the ghost, she dragged it across the space separating it from it's missing piece like a magnet. Only when she had it firmly in her grasp did she call it by name.

"Emma Chamelle!"

The cavernous room dropped two degrees, and a shimmer of air in the middle of the room announced the unwitting visitor. Emma was a charmingly plumb little girl with bouncy brown hair and wide doe eyes that blinked in bewilderment as she took in her new surroundings. She was standing on her toes with her arms raised awkwardly above her head, having been interrupted in whatever she had been doing. She lowered them sheepishly upon sight of Madeira and said the words every parent, guardian, and teacher dreads to hear.

"I di'nt do it."

Madeira was willing to bet she was going to come home to find something broken.

"Hi Emma. Theres someone here I want you to meet. Say hello to Master Keaton."

Emma turned on the spot and saw for the first time the old man drowning under his heavy duvet. And as she faced him for the first time, Madeira saw the rise and fall of the Master's chest stutter, and his lips pull tight over bloodless gums. To people who weren't used to her, the little girl’s grisly death, forever immortalized in the seeping sores in the corners of her mouth, eyes and nose, could be startling. For the first time, the sour, aggressive Keaton was struck dumb.

As the girl curtsied her shy hello, Madeira sat back down on her seat beside the bed.

"Emma, sweetheart, we'd like to ask you some things about being a ghost, is that ok?"

The little ghost shuffled her feet soundlessly and picked at the scabs from between her fingers. She didn't look at either of them as she reluctantly nodded. Keaton, for his part, seemed to be regretting ever allowing this to happen. He was pushing deeper into his pillows as if trying to disappear through the power of osmosis. Yet his hawkish eyes were fixed fearfully on the little ghost. Though if he was scared of her, or what she might say, Madeira couldn't tell.

"Thank you, sweetie. This man is dying. Why don't you tell him what dying was like for you?"

Emma was looking everywhere but at them. The awkwardness in the room rose to critical levels as the little girl struggled to remember her manners.

"Um... Sorry? That you're dying. Um... I can show you the best place to find cats to possess." She said brightly, trying to cheer him up. "When you're dead, I mean. And you can come live with Maddy and everybody. But you're not allowed to bug her when she or Alli are sleeping or she gets really mad. One time, Jomi snuck into the bed and-"

"I'm sure he appreciates it, darling." Madeira cut her off quickly. "Can you please tell me what it was like to die?"

Emma pondered this, her eyes on her bare feet poking out from under her nightdress. Her eyebrows were scrunched up as she tried to fight through the fog and remember her life.

"It was... It hurt. It hurt really bad."

"Because you were sick?"

She nodded.

"And then did it hurt after you died?"

"No."

"Did it feel good?"

"No. I didn't feel anything."

Sweat was shining on Keaton's scalp through his thin hair. He had stopped pushing into his pillows and was watching the ghost was a rapt attention. Like a man dying of thirst being offered poisoned water, and drinking anyway. Madeira plunged on remorselessly.

"But you must feel something."

"I feel... I feel soulmist." she announced proudly, like she had just answered a teachers question.

"Ok, and does that feel good?"

"Um... Maybe? I don't know. But I feel it."

"You like it because it makes you feel something?"

"Yah."

Madeira smiled sadly for the little ghost and brushed gentle fingers over her ruined cheek. From his tower of pillows, Keaton spoke for the first time since Emma entered the room. His voice had lost much of its gusto. He struggled to get the words out.

"So... Emma. Why did you return?"

"'Cause Maddy called. I have to come when she calls. Even if I don't want to."

"No, sweetie", Madeira explained. "I think he's asking why you didn't die."

"Oh", Emma smiled for the first time, and her entire face transformed. For one moment she looked like a little girl again. "Because Raj is here of course!"

"Raj?" Keaton asked tentatively, but heartened by the happiness that radiated from the girl.

"He's my bondmate. A great big tiger. He's bigger than- than this whole room!" she exclaimed proudly, full of love and childish hyperbole. "He likes soulmist too. And ear scratches. And music! We talk all day and all night. But we have to be quiet when it's dark. Thats sleeping time."

Keaton closed his eyes and sighed, and Madeira could hear the rattle on his breath. His satisfied pride was resurfacing. The child was physically numb, but she still felt things strongly, it seemed. Not all was lost at death. His determination, his pride, would continue and he'd still be Master Keaton, ruler of his little corner of the world. He looked at Madeira like she had lost, and his lips curled up in a sneer.

"Thank you so much, Em", Madeira said, blowing her a kiss. "Why don’t you go home and hide whatever it is that broke, so I don't see it and get mad."

"I didn't do it!"

"I know, baby. But all the same." She made shooing motions with her hands.

Emma curtsied for Keaton again, her eyes on the floor. "I really am sorry you're dying", she said, and vanished. As soon as she was gone the Master let out a great bark of laughter. They heard someone on the other side of the door fall over with fright.
x
Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Plot Your Revenge

Postby Madeira Dusk on February 27th, 2018, 6:35 am

"And look at that!" he sniffed, "The pipsqueak is no worse for wear. You're trying to persuade me with scare tactics, but she looks to be doing just fine with her tiger -whats his name... Raj!"

"Raj is dead." Madeira stated quietly, replacing the empty ring on her finger. "He's been dead for years. I have his severed head mounted over my fireplace."

She watched the emotions play out on his face. Some sort of dark flickering sat behind his gummy eyes. She pressed on.

"She was scared to die. She didn't want to go anywhere without Raj, so she never did. Ghosts are the loneliest creatures in the universe. They're spectators in a life that leaves them further behind every day. Stagnant. Unchanged. They don't sleep, don't eat, can't feel the touch of another human being, and end up haunting the ruins of their former life. They all go mad eventually. When poor Emma died, she needed her bondmate so bad she began playing pretend with his corpse. So what do you think it would do to you?"

"My business" Keaton was struggling now, he moistened his lips with his pale tongue. "My life, my wealth, my family..."

"-Will not save you." Madeira pushed. "Please, see reason, sir. You’d be less than a shadow of your former self, hoarding gold you will never use. If you don't wan't anyone else to have what you built, tear it down. But for the love of gods don't come back for it."

The old man seemed to shrink before her eyes. The fight was draining out of his bones, leaving them as light and hollow as a birds. The fire of indignation he was using as strength was extinguishing. She could nearly feel him fighting to keep his heart pumping.

"I'm scared." he whispered, and his eyes reflected the truth of it. "Oh gods, I'm so scared."

"You don't have to be." she leaned over him, and smiled kindly. "You'll be reincarnated into something new, and it'll be a fresh start."

"I don't want to die."

"I know."

She had coached ghosts to their death, but she was suddenly lost to do with a human who needed that same comfort. Not knowing what else to do, she reached out and took his hand in hers. The skin was powdery and paper thin. She could still see the scars in the webbing if his thumb from fishing hook accidents from seventy years ago.

"Sir, did you want me to get your nurse? Your family?"

"No. No... I just- Tell me about what happens next."

So she did. She told him about his soul, the mechanics of it, and how it would travel through Dira's realm. How Leth, god of fate, would reforge his soul into something new. She pulled up every scrap of knowledge she could remember from long lessons with her uncle Rune. How a soul changes with each reincarnation, but the memories stay buried in a souls core. How through a millennia of life one could earn a place beside the gods in their home, the Ukalas. She kept talking well into the night. With time Keaton's eyes closed. Then bells later, in the space between words, he died quietly, still holding her hand.

She stayed there with his corpse for a while as his fingers grew cold in hers. Her prayer to Dira was silent. She simply asked that she watch over this scared, angry man and don't let him lead himself astray. Then let go of his hand, got stiffly from her chair, retrieved her book, and went to tell the Keaton family that their Master was dead.
x
Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Plot Your Revenge

Postby Avela on March 21st, 2018, 2:54 am

Madeira Craven

XP Award:
  • Observation - 2
  • Drawing - 2
  • Malediction - 2
  • Planning - 1
  • Persuasion - 3
  • Rhetoric - 3
  • Socialization - 1

Lore:
  • Malediction Circles: A way to pass the time
  • Drawing: Malediction Circles
  • Ssanya's Malediction circle: Snake, Scythe, Loyalty, Eternity
  • Faith and truth: Often at each others throats.
  • Persuading someone not to become a ghost
  • Rhetoric: Asking leading questions
  • Rhetoric: Using examples to help one's argument
  • Helping someone die with dignity

Notes:

I really enjoyed this thread! I love how you manage to keep Madeira quirky and creepy but still very human in the way that she treats Emma, and the way that she persuades Master Keaton. She's had an odd upbringing and she has a strange outlook on life, but she isn't completely an alien creature, which makes her very interesting to read. I didn't give you any points in Spiritism because you're already a Master at it, but otherwise, I tried to cover everything. Please send me a PM if you have any questions or complaints about your grade, and don't forget to delete your request!

Template by Sevaan
(•̀o•́)ง

~Avela~
Avela
Player

Words: 95329
Joined roleplay: January 7th, 2018, 7:26 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1