PM to join A Lesson in Prevention

Aster gives a class on disease prevention at the Mercy. (Alex, Avela)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Considered one of the most mysterious cities in Mizahar, Alvadas is called The City of Illusions. It is the home of Ionu and the notorious Inverted. This city sits on one of the main crossroads through The Region of Kalea.

A Lesson in Prevention

Postby Asterope on March 7th, 2018, 5:19 pm

4th/Spring/518 AV

"This was a bad idea," Aster mumbled to herself, rearranging the tray of instruments on the table in front of her for the fifth time in a row. With the insect population rising again, so had concern over disease; Irene had come up with the brilliant idea to host classes so that the average citizen could do their best to prevent and treat themselves.

At least, it had been a brilliant idea until Aster had been asked to teach one of them. The classes were small, a single herbalist or nurse per room with (hopefully, provided a good turnout) two or three 'students'. But the thought of teaching total strangers was nerve wracking. What if she got something wrong, or couldn't answer a question? Irene had brushed off her concerns and simply shooed her along to her designated room, which is where the Eth found herself.

If Irene trusted in her capability to teach the class, then surely she could do it; the doctor had never lead her astray before. Inhaling deeply, Aster smoothed the front of her dress down, scraping her loose hair into a messy bun atop her head. A few stray strands of silken honey waves escaped their confinement, falling to catch loosely on the curves of her horns.

Aster could hear chattering in the hallway as footsteps paced back and forth, signalling the first arrivals of those who had chosen to come and participate in the lessons. Poking her head out of the doorway, Aster waited to see if anyone else would be arriving so she could catch them and wave them into her room with a slight smile.

OOC :
Sorry this is kind of short, but I figured it was just an introduction post, so there's not much to say or do yet. Feel free to bombard poor Aster with all sorts of questions! :p

The sun will rise, and we will try again
Asterope
A light that never goes out

Words: 661387
Joined roleplay: August 16th, 2017, 11:11 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Overlored (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)
Power Fork (1)

A Lesson in Prevention

Postby Alexandra Gainsborough on March 8th, 2018, 7:04 pm

Walking down the hallway Alex looked for the room she was directed to. The halls had people but far less than she expected and even fewer of them actually going to a class. "I wonder if this was a good idea." She said in her native Nari. With the insect population and her newly found interest in medicine she could not pass up an opportunity like this.

Shifting her belongings around she hoped she did not pack two much. Would the others in the class already be skilled well beyond her level? Did she really need to bring something to write on or would this just be a general overview? Taking in a slow breath before letting it out she shook her head "I'm here, no turning back now." This Inarta was not about to give up before she started.

A little more determined her pace quickened, boots clicked a little faster on the cold hard floor. Only a few moments would go by before she took notice of a women's head poking out from one of the rooms ahead. A small smile tugged at her lips as a bit of a rosy color started to fill her cheeks and spread across chest.

Nervous didn't seem like an adequate  enough word as the petite redhead moved to introduce herself. Making sure she was in the right place and in her best common she asked "Hello, is this where the trainings are?" Reaching up to tuck a braid behind her ear. She had hoped her accent would cover up the mild quiver in her voice.

After a few quick words she slip past the women in the doorway and into the room. She would move quickly to the spot nearest the front but further from the door and set her things down. The book, quill and bottle of ink would sit and wait to be used. On the other hand Alex would play with her hair feeling the beads and glass feather braided into it. It was a few moment before she took in the emptiness of the room and muttered to herself. "Just how early am I?"

Alexandra Gainsborough
Player

Words: 77257
Joined roleplay: January 21st, 2018, 11:38 pm
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

A Lesson in Prevention

Postby Avela on March 9th, 2018, 3:21 am

It was a little weird walking into Ionu's Mercy without an injury, or without dragging someone along who was injured or sick. Like any child of Alvadas, Avela had visited the Mercy a handful of times in the past, most recently towards the tail end of last season, when she and Asterope had fallen into the water. Before that, it had been last year, when Kairen had broken his arm taking a stupid dare from his friends.

Avela had signed up for the class when she first heard that it was being offered, mostly because preventing sickness seemed like a valuable thing to know about now that she was living out on her own. Apparently, that wasn't as easy as it looked. And the thought of being sick alone, in her cottage, without anyone around her to help, was enough to make her take the plunge. If she had her way, she'd get through this year without illness, thank you very much.

Or at least, that was how she felt before the season change, when she had signed up for the class.

Now, walking through the halls of Ionu's Mercy, looking for her classroom, Avela found that she couldn't focus on the lesson. Her mind was still on Kairen from the new year, on the look in her little brother's eye.

What are you hiding, Kai...?

She was so distracted that she almost walked straight into the red-headed woman waiting by the door--would have, if the Inarta hadn't moved. Avela drew up short, startled, and looked up at her. "I'm sorry--," she started to say, but stopped when she realized that Alex was walking away.

Avela blinked, shaking her head to clear it. Now wasn't the time to be getting distracted.

She drew in a breath and entered the room. It was a small room, with only a few chairs set out. One of the chairs was occupied by the redheaded woman, but the others were empty. And standing in front of the room was a familiar face. Avela's eyes widened.

"Aster!" she said, "I didn't know you were teaching this class!"

"Common" "Kontinese"
Template by Gomer Caitiff
Avela
Player

Words: 95329
Joined roleplay: January 7th, 2018, 7:26 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)

A Lesson in Prevention

Postby Asterope on April 3rd, 2018, 10:39 pm

Aster spotted a redheaded woman walking down the hall towards her, and smiled faintly when she stopped to ask if she was in the right place. Her diminutive height and vivid red hair, interwoven with braids, feathers, and beads, made Aster think Inarta; when she spoke, her accent confirmed it.

"You're in the right place for the lessons, yes," Aster confirmed, moving aside to let her enter the room. The Inartan woman set herself up in the front corner away from the door, while Aster milled around the front of the room, waiting to see if anybody else would show up.

She didn't have to wait long. Footsteps alerted her to another presence, and a familiar voice greeted her as Asterope looked up to find Avela entering the room.

"Avela," Aster greeted the Konti, her voice warm. "Yes, neither did I, until quite recently. It's good to see you again. How have you been?" The last time she'd seen the girl was when the two of them had nearly drowned in the winter. Funnily enough, that meeting had also ended with them at Ionu's Mercy.

She gave Avela a chance to respond before her golden gaze swept around the room; from where she stood, it seemed the hallway had almost emptied out entirely. "Well, it looks as if it will just be us three." Relief swept over Aster; if she only had to worry about two people, one of whom she knew, the prospect of teaching was much less stressful.

Speaking to the Inarta, since she already knew Avela, Aster introduced herself. "I'm Asterope, but you can call me Aster." She allowed the redheaded woman to introduce herself before she pressed on.

"Irene thought these classes would be a good idea given what happened back in autumn. Were either of you around during the illness?" Asterope questioned, looking at the two women. She had no idea if they were native Alvads, and if not how long they'd been in the city; but if they had already had experience with the insects and the sort of illness they could bring, then that made her job slightly easier.

"It was rough," Aster sighed, after the two had a chance to respond to her question. "The Mercy was over capacity. The nurses were working themselves to exhaustion; it got so bad that we needed to call in volunteers."

Shaking her head as she remembered the epidemic, Aster focused on the two sitting in front of her. "No matter, though; the situation doesn't seem nearly half as bad this time. Hopefully it will stay that way. Did either of you have any questions before I get started?"

Asterope

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Power Fork (1)

A Lesson in Prevention

Postby Alexandra Gainsborough on April 6th, 2018, 3:51 am

Waiting quietly Alex busied herself playing with her locks. Reaching for her book, her attention was quickly pulled towards the door. Another person stepped in, it was good to see she was not going to be alone today.

A soft smile graced her face as she listened in on the conversation, it was pretty clear the knew each other and she hoped it would keep things a little more casual. As the conversation progressed Alex began to wonder just how thrown together these classes were. It almost seemed like everything in the city was quickly pulled together.

When Asterope mentioned this would be the class the little inartas eyes widened a bit. She expected a fuller class, something this like would surely bring in more people or be canceled. She was greatful they were going to continue however. Seeing her instructor relax took a little weight off of her shoulders as well. She began to think she might take away something from this class instead of the memorized, monotone speech she was expecting.

Once Aster finished introducing herself Alex followed suit. "My name is Alexandra, everyone calls me Alex for short. It is nice meeting you." She turned her attention to the third women for a moment before allowing it to return to Aster.

What could have possibly happened in autumn she wondered as she shook her head. She had not been in the city long enough to witness anything to odd, odd being relative. Her lips parted as she was about to ask what had happened but she had moved to slowly and Aster began again.

A little faster this time Alex asked" The hospital was over run because of bugs?" This sounded odd, not unheard but odd. "Does Alvadas not have many birds? If we did have a problem with bugs I would expect the birds to grow fat and happy. If not birds then maybe lizards or some other animal."

Alexandra Gainsborough
Player

Words: 77257
Joined roleplay: January 21st, 2018, 11:38 pm
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

A Lesson in Prevention

Postby Avela on April 6th, 2018, 5:19 am

"It's good to see you too," Avela said, smiling at Aster. The Ethaefal had a way of putting her at ease. It was hard to remember how worried she was about her brother when she was standing in front of a friend. Still, when Aster asked her how she was doing, Avela did run her fingers through her hair, letting out a sort of nervous laugh. "I've been well. It's been...really crazy since we last met."

Really crazy probably didn't even cut it, she thought. Since the last time she had met Aster, she had met a Craven, run away from a Yukman, and made her own soulmist out of someone else's blood. If she hadn't been the one living her life, Avela wouldn't have believed that her story was real. But this probably wasn't the time or place to tell Aster any of that, so instead, she stood aside and let Aster interact with the other student in the class. Alexandra. Alex for short. She had an interesting accent. Avela wondered where she was from, if she spoke another language. Her Common was very good, much better than Avela's Kontinese at any rate.

"I'm Avela," she said, introducing herself to Alex. "It's nice to meet you too."

As Aster began to start the class, Avela stepped forward, taking a seat at one of the chairs. She nodded gravely when Aster asked if they were around for the autumn illness. "I was here," she said. "I'm from Alvadas." Up until last winter, she had never even left the city. "It wasn't a great time. I didn't get sick, but some of my family did."

She frowned a little at Alex's question, wondering what birds had to do with anything. "We have birds sometimes," she said. "And sometimes we don't have birds. Last autumn...I don't remember seeing very many birds." It might have been an odd thing to say, but for someone like Avela, who had lived all her life somewhere where the environment could change at a drop of the hat, the idea that there could ever be something like a constant number of birds just didn't occur to her.

Still, she waited to hear what Aster would say about it, shaking her head when the Ethaefal asked if they had any questions.

Template by Sevaan
"Common" "Kontinese"
(•̀o•́)ง

~Avela~
Avela
Player

Words: 95329
Joined roleplay: January 7th, 2018, 7:26 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)

A Lesson in Prevention

Postby Asterope on May 22nd, 2018, 2:41 pm

Asterope tilted her head somewhat at Avela's words, but before she could ask further, the Inarta who introduced herself as Alex spoke up with a question about the bugs, having not been in Alvadas to experience the wave of disease that had swept the city.

Aster shook her head at Alex in response, lifting her hands ever so slightly in a gesture of defeat. "I don't think any amount of birds could have helped. My guess is it had something to do with the lack of winter; without the cold, the bugs didn't die out, but plenty of animals were and still are dying of dehydration. It was a huge swarm." Sadness tinged the Eth's voice; the continued absence of Morwen was heavily affecting the land, despite the amount of snow that had fallen in Alvadas over the winter.

Avela, however, knew what she was talking about. "Many people got sick; you're lucky." Aster smiled slightly at the Konti, glad the young woman hadn't had to suffer through any of the illness.

Clearing her throat, Aster clasped her hands together. "Regardless, it's always good to be prepared. We have a better idea of what we could potentially be dealing with should it happen again in any capacity, and I think it's important you know how to keep yourselves safe and healthy."

Seeing that the two had no further questions, Aster leaned her hip back against the table behind her, rolling up the sleeves of her dress. The white cotton was beginning to look more grey, and rather than simply being soft and worn was beginning to look and feel threadbare. She really needed to buy some new clothes, especially with one of her dresses having been almost entirely ruined by the fire at the Womiyu in the autumn; but it simply hadn't been a priority of hers.

Brushing her palms over the skirt of her dress, the loose fabric swishing around her knees, Aster began to speak, thinking carefully as she did so. "The best way to keep yourself from being bitten is to simply keep yourself covered. Thick clothing is best, but even sheer material like lace can provide a barrier thick enough to keep you from being bitten."

"Of course, that's not always an option, seeing how hot it can get. You can buy insect-repelling candles and ointment, which is always a good idea. Certain smells tend to keep bugs away as well; mint and similar strong smells is popular since it's pleasant, but garlic and basil can also work."

That information was relatively new to Aster herself; Irene had just recently explained to her that those were scents often used in the balms and candles sold to help deter insects.

"Perfume, balm, or candles with those smells could help keep insects away from you. Nothing is foolproof, of course; while prevention is best, it's important to know what to do if you are bitten."

Aster paused, suddenly slightly flustered to realize how much she'd been talking and how much information she'd just projected onto the two women seated in front of her. A flush rose to her cheeks, and she curled her fingers into the soft, loose material of her skirt as she glanced away. She was surprised at how easily she had begun to talk; perhaps it was because it was something she enjoyed, and she was so focused on trying to think of and remember the proper information.

Still, she hadn't expected to settle into the role of teaching quite so easily. Now that she was aware of it, she was much more self-conscious. "Uhm, any questions so far?" The Eth asked, shifting her weight slightly, forcing her fingers to relax and release their hold on her dress.

Asterope

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Power Fork (1)

A Lesson in Prevention

Postby Asterope on March 12th, 2019, 12:30 pm

The Sun Has Risen

And so have your grades!

Alexandra Gainsborough

Notes
If you return, PM me for your grades!

Avela

Notes
If you return, PM me for your grades!

Asterope

Skills
✧Observation +1
✧Logic +1
✧Socialization +1
✧Teaching +1

Lores
✧People: Alexandra Gainsborough
✧Avela: From Alvadas
✧Strong scents can deter insects

Thank you for your patience! As always, please edit or delete your request in the grading queue; and if you have any questions or concerns about your grades, please don't hesitate to get in touch with me!

Asterope

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Power Fork (1)