Solo Little Games

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The vast, beautiful oceans encircling Mizahar. The Eastern Ocean to the east and the Western Ocean to the west.

Little Games

Postby Madeira Dusk on June 10th, 2018, 10:29 pm

“What are we doing, Maddy?”

Emma and Madeira were on the deck of the Bellipotent, sitting up against the railing and well out of the way of the sailors as they bustled around the ship in the endless effort to keep it moving. The southern sun beat down on the sea, stirring up an inland wind that filled the sails but was too warm to lift the sweat off the human crew. Emma was unaffected by the heat. Besides being nearly invisible in the direct sunlight, her nightdress and bouncing brown curls did not move with the breeze, and her soulmist shroud was as uncomfortably cold as ever.

Madeira was not so lucky. The sleeves of her blouse and the legs of her linen pants had been rolled up, her collar unbuttoned, and still it was growing steadily darker in the pit of her arms. Her hair had been pulled up away from her neck, but her entire face was flush and sparkling with sweat. She settled in a small spot of shade to be found in the shadow of a crate before she answered the ghost.

“We’re going to play a little game, are you up for it?”

“Yah!” the little spirit bounced on her toes as she shimmered like a mirage.

“Good. Now shush and sit down here with me, we have to be sneaky.”

The ghost looked around spuriously and did as she was told, one hand over her crusted mouth as if to prove how quiet she could be.

“Does this mean we’re doing spirit stuff”, she asked, big brown eyes wide. The girl knew of her mistresses ban on practising witchcraft aboard, and also knew she did not follow it.

“Yes. And do you know what that means?”

“‘Mist!” the little girl squealed in delight, only to clap her hands over her mouth again when Madeira raised a disapproving brow. “Sorry!” she whispered, properly cowed. “Are you making soulmist?” she rephrased sheepishly.

“Just for you, kitten”, Madeira forgave the girl’s slip in composure with a smile. “It’s all right here”, she patted her chest, where the dough she ingested will sit until it’s ready to be turned. “But you need to play for it.”

The girl nodded eagerly, and Madeira felt more than saw the ghost sitting forward with determination.

“I’m going to use magic to disappear, and bring other people”, she continued delicately. Emma did not truly grasp the concept of the spiritism technique of Lying, as really no ghost ever did. Her mind was too scrambled and her hold on reality too tenuous to really understand that Madeira was simply using magic to change what the ghost saw, rather than disappearing entirely. “I need you to guess who it is.”

Emma pouted, pushing out her lower lip and cracking the sores in the corner of her mouth. “Does that mean you’re not bringing Ally?”

“Nope. You might not know their names, so you’ll have to describe them to me.”

There were two ways to perpetrate the Lie. The first was to use a name the ghost already knew and to push it on them, and the ghost will fill in the blank of the appearance themselves. The other kind, if one did not know the name, was to concentrate on the appearance of the person yourself. The latter was something Madeira always had trouble with, for it required a near perfect memory and total concentration.

“Ok, I can do it!”

“I know you can, kitten. Ready?”

“Yah!”
Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Words: 1599220
Joined roleplay: October 11th, 2016, 7:45 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (3)
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) Lhavit Seasonal Challenge (1)
2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Little Games

Postby Madeira Dusk on June 10th, 2018, 10:30 pm

Madeira closed her eyes and breathed through her nose, reaching for the soulmist permanently infused into the planes of her face. She struggled to think of someone both her and the ghost knew my face, if not name. She settled on the Akalak that ran the bakery back in Riverfall, who she would often purchase breakfast from. She concentrated on his deep blue face, imagining the way he smiled when customers entered his bakery, and the way his hands were always dusted with flour.

Emma was leaning closer, eyes narrowed as she struggled to see the Lie. But Madeira wasn’t done. This was more than just a game for Emma and spritism practise for herself. For the first time in her life she was going to try to stack her magic disciplines. While the Lie flickered to life on her face she was reaching deeper for something more.

Even while holding the imagine in her mind, pushing it in front of her and hiding behind it like a mask, she was dragging dijed from deep inside her body. She pushed it outward to meet the Lie, infusing it with a synthetic emotion. Excitment, she pushed the feeling into Emma’s space, struggling to juggle the Lie and the feeling.

“You’re the Baker!” the ghost clapped soundlessly. “I know you! Hello!”

“Hi”, Madeira, as the baker, smiled. “Can you describe what I look like?”

“You’ve got yellow eyes and blue skin and big arms”, she said immediately, nodding all the while. Madeira couldn’t quite tell if the excitement was her doing, or simply the thill of a right answer.

“Very good. Are you watching closely?”

“Yep! Bye Baker.”

“Bye-bye.”

Madeira bit her lip. She needed a reaction that would be easier to pick out as artificial. The girl was excitable and cheerful, but these emotions were mostly superficial. Underneath she was a scared, confused little girl in over her head. Maybe she could try to break into something rarely tapped.
Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Little Games

Postby Madeira Dusk on June 10th, 2018, 10:30 pm

She didn’t let the magic fizzle away, but worked to repurpose it. The image of the baker flickered and fled, as she brought something new to mind. She thought of their neighbour at the Windswept Apartments, a old, quiet Konti who she was sure neither her nor Emma had ever spoken to. She concentrated hard, recalling the way the sunlight sparkled off her scaled cheeks when she looked up at them from her garden. What colour were her eyes? Madeira couldn’t remember the shade. Instead she pushed forward the thoughts of her dirt stained nails and her big straw hat over white flyaway hair. She twisted her mind to project this image over her own, leaning to wear it like a second skin. It would have been easy, but her concentration was split.

From the excitement she had pushed with her hypnotism retracted and reformed. She bent it backwards, soured the excitement and destroyed the cheer. When she pushed it back out, imagining it rolling into her aura like smoke from a fire, it was as pure a hate as she could manage. Madeira had to conjure her feelings towards Everard to inspire the kind of hate she needed. But keeping Everard’s snide smirk in her mind was crowding out the half-remembered image of the old woman.

Emma’s eyes slid in and out of focus, bafflement clear on her face. Madeira couldn’t see what the ghost saw, but she imagined her own face was flickering between her cousin, her neighbour and herself. It must have been a strange sight.

Deciding to fight one battle at a time, she let go of the image of the old woman. As it dissipated she threw forward Everard’s name. With it came a dose of hate that was entirely organic. She foisted it into Emma’s space, and studied the ghost for any reaction.

The little girl’s eyes grew wide and her form flickered. Madeira noticed the way her soulmist moved slower, her fidgeting stopped, and she was suddenly no longer looking her in the eye. The Lie had worked, and she recognized who it was, but she stayed silent.

“Who am I, Emma?” she asked. The ghost’s form stuttered to be spoken to directly. She was scared of Everard, Madeira knew. But she needed the ghost to hate him too. “Emma”, she pressed, speaking in Everard’s smooth voice.
Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Little Games

Postby Madeira Dusk on June 10th, 2018, 10:31 pm

The ghost had unconsciously dematerialized until she was no more substantial than steam over a cup of tea. Madeira concentrated the dijed into her voice, let it ride out on her breath, riddled through her words like worms in rot. “Look at me, Emma. Don’t you want Madeira’s soulmist?”

“I don’t want to talk to you”, she muttered bravely, still looking away.

“I can’t hurt you”, the spiritist pressed, emboldened. “Madeira won’t let me. What do you see?”

“You’re Everard.” Emma was picking at the sores between her fingers, her voice petulant. “I don’t want to play anymore.”

Madeira pressed harder, holding the Lie and hypnotism in both hands. She struggled to reach the middle ground between them and have them work side by side without her stronger spiritism overwhelming her weak hypnotism. Her hands were sweating with the effort of conducting the delicate dance. She wiped them on her thighs.

“What’s wrong, Emma?” she ground out, struggling to keep her voice even under the strain. “You need to tell me or I won’t know.”

She could nearly see the internal struggle inside the little girl. The feeling that was not her own was feeding into her natural dislike of the Craven boy. But even that paled in comparison with how much she feared him. If Madeira wanted her to hate him she had to dispel it.

“I need your help, little Emma”, Madeira dropped his voice into something weak and pleading. “Madeira will send me away if you ask her to. Won’t you ask her to let me stay?”

“No!” she looked her in the eye for the first time since Everard’s face first appeared in the Lie. It only lasted for a moment, and within ticks she was blushing as she looked back to her hands twisting endlessly in her lap. But she did look.

Madeira pressed forward, and the Lie flickered as the Spiritist ripped her dijed forward. Expanding outward, she let it rise from the stiff set of her back and her aching eyes, pushing the magic out into Emma’s space and feeding it to latent emotions already there.

“Emma”, she whined in a way Everard never would, hunching her shoulders to make him smaller. “Emma please…”

“Go away!” the bright, cheery little girl snapped. Her voice was brittle, and she didn’t look him in the eye as she said it, but it was a demand. Madeira’s weakest, most timid ghost just demanded one of the most powerful Spiritists she knew to ‘go away’. Madeira was torn between a rush of victory for herself and a bubbling pride in her little ghost.

As she asked, Everard vanished. Madeira let the Lie and Hypnotism go all at once, and her overburdened mind unspooled. She sighed with relief as the little girl blinked with confusion, as the sudden flare of anger she felt disappeared as quickly as it came. Madeira was the first to speak.

“Very good, Em! You got them both right.”

The ghost perked up at this, and her form flared a little brighter in the midday sun.

“Does that mean I get the mist?”

“As much as you want.”

Several sailors startled and looked over as the ghost let loose a squeal of delight.
Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Little Games

Postby Madeira Dusk on June 10th, 2018, 10:40 pm

Grades Awarded!

Don't forget to edit/delete your grade request!

Person One

Skills
  • Negotiation: 1xp
  • Spiritism: 2xp
  • Hypnotism: 3xp
  • Persuasion: 1xp
  • Acting: 2xp

Lores
  • Negotiation: a gift in return for a game
  • Lore of stacking hypnotism and spiritism
  • Hypnotism: using true emotions
  • Emma: scared of Everard
  • Persuasion: wheedling
  • Spiritism: bolstering the Lie with hypnotism

Awards & Retribution

Notes
Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes