Sweet Hope, Ethereal Balm

Okara faces a challenge then finds an unexpected friend.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

Postby Okara on July 15th, 2018, 9:37 pm

Summer 61, 518

Okara leaned forward against the rear balcony of the Panacea, looking out in the dense jungle vegetation beyond. Her icy blonde hair was pulled back into a tight braid down her neck which had turned into her primary hairstyle in this humid environment. Though little helped this late in the summer when the heat and humidity was at its height. The bottom of her braid was soaked in sweat from her neck though she had become accustomed to the ever-present layer of sweat that came with living in Syka.

Okara wrapped her scaled hands around the balcony railing as she leaned more of her weight into it. The clouds had begun to trickle down one of several daily rains and she followed the path of raindrops as they pitter pattered down from leaf to leaf. Serenity blossomed in her chest in this moment of peacefulness. She was alone in the Panacea, Jansen had left to confer with Stu about supplies and no patients lay in the clinic beds. Okara had been in the midst of cleaning the small clinic space when she had decided to make a moment to herself to enjoy the peacefulness of the afternoon. Or as peaceful as the jungle could be with the hoot of monkeys and the call of countless species of birds filling the air. Her green eyes shifted from the rain to the red petals of a flowering bromeliad clinging in the cleft of a tree. There was true beauty in this place.

”Jansen! I’ve got a wounded man here! I need assistance!” A powerful voice called out, breaking Okara’s reverie. She spun and ran towards the doorway as she listened to heavy footsteps pounding up the path towards the clinic. A tall, broad man appeared carrying a bloody middle-aged man in his arms. Long strides brought him quickly down the path and into the clinic.

”Where’s Jansen? Tony needs medical attention.” The man boomed with a strong but even voice. He was broad and strong but cradled the man in his arms with gentle care. His eyes were fierce as they demanded answers and action from Okara.

”Jansen is with Stu at the Tidepool, I will do what I can to help Tony. Lay him down on this cot. Tell me what happened.” Okara commanded as she pointed at a cot and ran to grab supplies. She surprised herself with how calm her voice sounded as a hundred thoughts were screaming through her head, caught up in the urgency of the emergency. The large man knelt and gently laid Tony out on the cot on his stomach. Okara grabbed a tray and piled on bandages, shears, and towels.

”I went to the isuas grove to check on Tony and as I approached a tiger leapt out of the vines and latched onto his back while he was turned away. I run up and got a good slice on the tiger with my sword before he could bite his head or neck but he got him good with his claws. He was unconscious so I just picked him up and brought him here as fast as I could, he’s lost a lot of blood.” the man explained quickly as Okara knelt with the tray beside Tony.

Word Count: 546
Last edited by Okara on July 15th, 2018, 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Okara
Great stories start with humble beginnings.

Words: 218993
Joined roleplay: May 30th, 2016, 12:34 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Okara on July 15th, 2018, 10:11 pm

Okara took the shears and quickly cut open the back of Tony’s shirt to expose the wounds. Deep lacerations ran down his back with blood oozing out of them. Okara did her best to hide her fear and concern from the broad man scrutinizing her movements but she could not hide it from herself. She was frightened. Here lay a patient before her who needed serious care and she was unsure if she could save him. His wounds were deep, her gnosis could purify them but that would not stop the bleeding. She quickly realized that she needed Jansen, she needed his expertise and his superior healing talents to close the wounds. She only hoped she could keep Tony alive until then.

”Umm… you.” Okara began as she laid her hands on the open lacerations, the blue snakes on her arm writhing as she channeled Rak’keli’s power to cleanse the wounds.

”Buraga.” the man stated quickly.

”Buraga. Go find Jansen at the Tidepool and tell him to get here right away. Please.” she asked without looking up and before she could even finish her sentence Buraga had pivoted and strode quickly for the doorway. He moved with incredible grace and speed for such a broad, muscled man.

Okara was alone now with her patient. She picked up a folded towel in each hand and laid them against Tony’s back, gently applying pressure. She knew that pressure would help slow the bleeding and the only thing in her mind was keeping Tony alive until Jansen arrived. With no one to see her, the fear she felt was expressed on her face, her eyes wild and her lip trembled.

Okara had been feeling so secure in her position and knowledge as a healer. She was learning more every day and gaining confidence in her ability to work with patients, but she was so ill equipped to deal with the situation in front of her that she felt small and incompetent. If she managed to get through this she would never allow Jansen to leave her alone again. She wanted to scream at him for allowing such a piss poor excuse of a doctor to tend the clinic alone.

Chimes felt like they were stretching into bells but only a few could have passed when she heard running feet slapping the ground, steadily growing louder as they approached the clinic. She glanced up to note Jansen and Buraga charge toward the clinic. She lowered her eyes back down to Tony, continuing to put pressure on the towels covering his wounds.

Jansen was above her with a ceramic pitcher and in a moment he was kneeling and pouring water over the towels. Thoroughly soaked, he peeled them away and placed his hands on Tony’s wounds. Okara watched the lacerations close at his will, confidence sinking to see him do what she could not with gnosis or knowledge. At his nod, she helped him gently turn Tony over onto his back. Jansen touched his neck lightly to feel for the pulse.

”He still lives, we were able to close his wounds before he lost too much blood. Tony is going to need some time to rest and collect himself but he will be back on his feet before you know it. Thank you for getting him here so fast Buraga, we would have lost him without your speed.” Jansen said over his shoulder.

”Of course. I’m glad he’s going to be alright. Well, I don’t want to linger, and I better find where that tiger drug itself off and see if it’s still alive.” Buraga said, nodding in satisfaction at the outcome. He gave Okara a silent wave of goodbye and she nodded mutely in response as he left.

Word Count: 624
Okara

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Okara on July 15th, 2018, 10:52 pm

Okara began cleaning up the blood on the floor around the sleeping Tony silently with her head down. She picked up the bloody towels and dropped them in wicker basket of dirty laundry when she felt a gentle hand on her shoulder. She turned to see Jansen looking down at her with open concern on his face.

”You are being very quiet. Are you alright?” he asked in a gentle but firm voice. Okara felt the urge to turn her eyes downward but she knew that would be childish so she forced herself to meet his gaze. She hesitated before answering, wavering between honesty and brushing off his question. He was her mentor and boss so she decided he deserved honesty from her.

”I’m just a little shaken up is all. Tony’s wounds were beyond my abilities to heal and I wasn’t sure if Buraga would get to you in time. I’m not sure what I would do if he had died on my watch. Seeing something I couldn’t handle just made me realize how new I still am to this work.” Okara explained softly, fighting to continue holding his gaze through this exposure of vulnerability. Jansen looked down at her quietly for a few moments, he seemed to be thinking about how he wanted to respond to her.

”Emergency situations can be frightening, there’s no doubt about that. Tony’s wounds were beyond your abilities to fully handle but if you continue your training that won’t always be the case. Being a doctor is not an easy role. Sometimes even the most knowledgeable of doctors lose their patients, not everyone can be saved. Dira will come for us all in the end. All we can do is our best, sometimes its enough and sometimes its not. It can be crushing to lose a patient but even if you did you have to realize that you did your best. Another patient could come along and you can’t afford to be distracted with your own emotions or you will lose another life.” Jansen explained quietly, an emotion in his eyes that was unreadable to her. ”This is a tough calling, and you have to be tough to handle it. Consider what that entails. Why don’t you head home for the day and sort through what you are feeling. I will watch over Tony and wait for him to wake up.”

Okara nodded silently as Jansen walked away from her to observe the sleeping figure in the clinic. She walked quickly to the doorway and through it, strolling away from the Panacea. She felt moisture in her eyes but bit back the urge to cry. She ruminated on Jansen’s words and heard the chastisement in them. She wanted to be mad but couldn’t, she knew he was right. She needed to toughen up and figure out how to deal with the situations that came up. She might not always have the answer, she might not always have the skill. Regardless of how well she performed the world had no place for an emotional healer that took everything so personally. She knew she needed to detach herself and compartmentalize her emotional reactions.

Okara dwelled on these thoughts as she covered the distance up the beach to her personal acreage. She knew the land well by now and her feet carried her to the bank of the humble stream that flowed through the western portion of her homestead. She settled herself on the bank of the stream and stared down at the water as she contemplated how to move forward with her work and prove herself to Jansen.

Word count: 603
Okara

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Okara on July 15th, 2018, 11:32 pm

Legs crossed and chin resting on the palm of her hand she stared down into the water moodily as she occasionally swatted insects away with her other hand. She gazed listlessly over the water until a spot of white amidst the grey rocks caught her attention. She leaned forward with a frown. She sat at this part of the stream frequently, it wasn’t far from the beach and she was familiar with it’s general appearance. She had never noticed a white rock in her stream before.

Curiosity temporarily pushed away her melancholy thoughts, Okara uncrossed her legs and slid down into the water. The stream wasn’t terribly deep, it only reached her belly button she waded carefully over to the white rock and reached her hands down to grab it. She pulled it up through the water slowly and carried it back to the stream back. She pulled herself back up onto the bank and looked down at the rock. As she inspected it, she found that it was not a rock at all but appeared to be a small statue.

The statue was the shape of a woman in a white robe, its appearance was delicate but based on the weight in her hands the statue was clearly made of stone. Okara set the small statue standing up beside her and lay down on her belly to inspect it. The face was beautiful, but there was a sad quality to it that made Okara want to reach out in comfort. As she intently stared, a glow began to illuminate from the figurine.

Okara drew her head back nervously, feeling suspicious of this strange object. The statue suddenly seemed to come to life, it cocked its head at the Konti and raised its arms, hold out its hand.

”Pleasure to meet you.” the statue said with soft solemnity. Okara’s mouth dropped open for a moment as she openly stared at the strange creation. She realized how stupid she looked and closed her mouth, grasping the small stone hand and shaking it gently.

”A pleasure to meet you as well. I’m Okara. I’m… a little surprised by your…. talkativeness. I hope you aren’t upset that I took you out of the stream.” Okara said lamely, not entirely sure the best tone to take with an animated statue.

”Not at all. I was waiting there for you actually, you seem to like this place.” the statue said calmly with a beautiful, sad smile on its features.

”Waiting for me? What do you mean?” Okara asked with a frown. She was concerned by the statue’s sudden appearance in her life but it didn’t seem malevolent. It’s features had a sadness but also a kindness to them that made her want to be near it.

”I mean exactly what I said, I was waiting for you. I was sent to find someone with hope, someone with kind will with their heart. I chose you.” the statue explained slowly.

”Sent by who?” Okara asked. She was flattered by what the statue was implying but also a little confused.

”By Priskil of course. Goddess of hope, radiance, and vigilance. There is much darkness in the world and Priskil will banish it with the light of hope. You have been chosen as a potential, as someone who could feel and give much hope to the world. I will guide you in that path, it is a difficult one, and more difficult to walk alone.” the statue explained, it’s face reverent and ecstatic as it spoke of its mistress.

Word Count: 591

OOC :
The Priskil idol is an award from the Rings of Power Weekend Challenge

Okara

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Okara on July 16th, 2018, 12:05 am

”Wow…. That’s a lot to take in. I’m immensely honored to have your guidance bestowed on me. What is asked of me in return?” Okara murmured in wonder. Being given a tool of a goddess was not something to be taken lightly.

”Pray. Pray to Priskil each day for hope and I will awaken. I will do my best to guide you towards goodness and away from despair. Always work to banish the pain and suffering of others and you will be doing Priskil’s work. Are you up to this task?” the statue asked.

”I believe so.” Okara said and bit her lip. She looked beyond the statue and into the jungle, thinking back on what had happened in the Panacea earlier that day. Could she do that? She wanted to help others but perhaps she wasn’t ready. Perhaps she was too small a person to bring about much good.

”What is wrong?” the stone woman asked, sensing her turmoil. Okara looked down at the figurine. She hesitated a moment, wondering if she could really trust the animated statue. It seemed earnest and the radiance around it glowed with goodness.

”I’m a healer at the Panacea. Today a patient came in that I didn’t have the ability to heal. I had to make do until my superior arrived and took the situation in hand. It upset me, and when my superior spoke to me I felt that he was disappointed in my reaction, that I got hung up on what happened instead of moving on.” Okara explained, feeling a little embarrassed to be spilling the situation to a stone figurine.

”You didn’t live up to your personal expectations.” the statue said astutely. Okara thought a moment then nodded miserably. ”You did that man good. You knew the extent of your abilities and you kept him alive until someone with the right skills arrived. What else could you have done?”

”Nothing, I suppose. I just wish I had been able to do more. What if he had died? What if I had made things worse?” Okara said as she began to get tangled up in her emotions again.

”But you did not. Do not concern yourself with ‘what ifs’. Those things did not happen. Do you think that patient will be upset with you when he awakens? No. He will be grateful that he is alive. He will be happy to have the taste of life in his mouth. Share in his gratitude that things went exactly as they did. Use your lack of knowledge as motivation to learn more, to learn how you should have handled it on your own.” the statue said firmly but not unkindly. Okara sat quietly and considered it’s words, the statue waiting patiently. The statue made valid points. Tony was alive, that was the result every doctor fought for. She should be grateful for the result, not her inability to glory in the achievement of it.

”You’re right. I need to be satisfied with how things turned out. I think I’ve been too hard on myself and its getting in my way.” Okara admitted finally and sighed.

”Be resolute. Be steadfast. Be confident in each step you take and don’t look back. You won’t win every battle you fight, but you will move forward. Always keep your eyes on what comes next.” The statue said, the illumination that emitted from it increased fiercely with its words.

”Be resolute. I need to remember that. Come on Mini P, lets get you settled at home.” Okara said as she nodded. She determined that ‘be resolute’ was her new mantra, and she needed to always keep it in mind. Okara slowly stood and picked up the statue, which nimbly climbed to her shoulder, grasping onto her braid for balance. Okara smiled and began walking back towards the beach. She had a new companion that seemed to believe in her and it brought her some comfort. The statue had given her hope that she could move forward, and it soothed her self-confidence like balm to a burn. She knew how she needed to approach her work and her life. She needed to be resolute.

Word Count: 695
Okara

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Okara on July 17th, 2018, 3:40 pm

Grades and Awards

Experience
Observation 3
Leadership 1
Medicine 1
Philosophy 2
Investigation 1

Lores
Leadership: Stay Outwardly Calm, Even When Freaked Out
Tony Swiftwater: Appearance
Buraga Shamzen: Appearance, Occupation
Philosophy: Mentality of a Healer
Priskil: Goddess of Hope, Radiance, and Vigilance
Pray to Priskil for Hope
How to Awaken and Utilize the Priskil Idol
Philosophy: Be Resolute in Your Actions

Misc Rewards or Injuries
(+) Priskil Idol

Notes
Self grade, yay!

Please edit your post in your grade request to reflect that it has been graded. PM me with any questions.
Okara

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes