[The Midnight Gem] Black Holes and Dark Spots (Rene)

Farris visits the Gem again and meets an inhabitant.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Postby Farris on July 15th, 2018, 6:41 am

23rd of Summer, 518

It'd been an incredibly long day at work. Zeke was often out of sight and it left Farris to conduct transactions in the Fence with little idea of previous interactions with the patrons. Awkwardly, he'd managed his way through the day and was eager for it to end. After all, his arrangement with Kelski was paying its dividends. He had already used the place for his practice more than once, reveling in the privacy it afforded him as well as the seclusion that he so prized. Prying eyes made Sunberth an unsafe place, more so than the violence that was rife within the city to begin with. A patient man ordinarily, he'd found himself eagerly anticipating his shift's end... and when it arrived, he nearly ran out of the Fence and towards the Gem. The trip wasn't particularly long, but he need take several out of the way turns to ensure that he wasn't followed. Once he arrived, however, caution was rendered unnecessary and he nearly ran through the doors. He descended the stairs next, making his way towards the basement in order to begin his efforts.

Once he was in his seclusion he took his time to get the space ready. His rucksack fell to the floor with a soft thud, and when he seated himself next to it, he peeled out his journal and set it neatly on his right hand side. A breath filled his lungs as he closed his eyes. He sought to clear his thoughts, letting the events of the day pass him by one by one until slowly, they dissipated entirely. He breathed in slower and slower intervals, clearly able to feel the pounding pulse in his chest wane to a reasonable rate. His body relaxed, his possessions scattered about and his mind at ease, he felt he was ready to begin. Farris raised his hands to chest level, holding them with palms facing one another and nearly an inch apart. Both hands moved in a slow, synchronized rhythm, keeping their distance even as digits pointed in different directions with each movement. The slow, sweeping motions began to well with djed.

Farris felt a steep pleasure cast upon his senses, flowing from his spine and along his fingertips as cracks in the air between his fingers began to form. The cracks formed a rift that parted like a mouth, growing slowly, but steadily into a circular incision into the Void that stretched a total of three inches wide. The portal emitted no pulse as of yet, the wizard fully intent on its formation as djed surged between his fingertips. The process took about thirty ticks, but Farris had all of the time in the world.

Reveling in the effort that was casting, Farris found a wide grin set upon his expression. He was finding it simpler and simpler to clear his mind and found few flashes in the past plaguing his efforts this time around. Satisfied with his efforts, he kept the pace of djed flow in line, perfectly content with the size of the portal. As the portal stabilized, the Voider ceased his hand's movements, letting himself move to seize his journal while keeping unyielding eye contact with the rift he'd created. He tore a strip from one of the pages, forming it into a ball before he held it with his palm up and it in the center of it. The balled up piece of paper began to shift in the center of his palm as the Voider willed a pull into being. It began slowly, a soft 'whoosh' breaking the silence of the room. The paper lifted from the surface of his palm before it was flung forward, sucked into the Void to never be seen again.
Farris
Player

Words: 128087
Joined roleplay: July 10th, 2018, 8:47 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Rene Rafar on July 17th, 2018, 5:38 am

After such a long day delivering messages for Goldfinger's Loan Agency she was just ready to go home and relax out on the deck listening to the water flowing onto the beach, maybe even a swim anything would be an improvement over today. If it wasn't she had more threats about her choice of work; then it was some of the younger gang members trying to keep her from doing her job more then any other time of running. The only good that came out of today was she only had to report her troubles to the agency and Mr. Goldfinger's enforcers would take care of any and all trouble makers.

I wouldn't want to be them when the muscles come calling about there lack of cooperation. She thought just as she reached the door to the Gem fishing out her key she opened the door and walked in locking it up behind her.

Ren turned to head upstairs when she spotted the basement door was open meaning there was a guest in the house thinking it would be best to let their company know that some one was home so instead of going up the the deck she went down the them to the basement upon reaching the bottom step Ren spotted a rugged looking man sitting in the middle of the training floor with a rucksack and a book of some kind at beside him. She watched he man not sure what to make of him, She felt that it would not be a good thing to just startle the man and breaking his concentration so she quietly walked around him until she was directly in front of him allowing enough space to watch without interfering. She quickly sat down crossing her legs and waited patiently for him to finish what he was doing.
Rene Rafar
Player

Words: 47214
Joined roleplay: March 19th, 2018, 2:29 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Farris on July 18th, 2018, 1:37 am

The Voider was far too engrossed with his task to be attentive to his surroundings. He figured that his position in the basement might afford him some measure of solitude, but he was wrong. As Rene made her entry into the home, Farris was consumed by the task at hand. The portal pulsed with life, growing larger as he moulded more djed to the purpose of keeping it intact. A breath pulled into the mage's lungs, his hands clenched at his knees as his gray gaze kept itself trained on the Void. The cold, dark world was a somber sight, indeed, and the mage was fascinated by the prospect of what might dwell within it. Farris, of course, was learned in the tales of the Void. His father cautioned him about the discipline and its primary reason for existence. What mages chose to discard often weren't useless tools. They were dangerous threats that needed a quick, permanent answer or experiments gone wrong. The things that survived in the Void weren't things Farris wanted to encounter by any means.

The mage let his gaze drift from the portal when that last thought crossed his mind. Several feet in front of him, he noticed the slender figure of a young woman, the sight of which caught him entirely by surprise. He quickly filled the portal with matter, pulling djed from the concentrated rift. Slowly, it began to de-stabilize until it was shut entirely, leaving Farris alone with the young woman who neither announced herself or made enough noise to alert him to her presence. The Voider's legs swung out, his knees lifted and feet firmly on the ground as he raised his hands to shoulder level. He willed djed to pull from the bounds of his soul. The back of his hands turned dark, layered with a thin film of violet Res that by the moment grew thicker upon the surface of his skin. The effort was paired with his glare rising to face Rene, an alarm clearly visible upon his features. He'd formed the Res instinctively, but he quickly found that he was very unlikely to use it. Remaining cautious, he allowed the film to wax on the surface of his skin as his head tilted.

Upon further inspection, the woman had strange, almond shaped eyes and her expression was keen, as if unaware of what he was doing. There was neither judgement nor disdain upon her expression and the mage wondered if she even knew what he was doing. The Res began its path to decay as he called out to the Kelvic, "Uh... hello, there. Were you watching me?" he asked her. The question was rather obvious if he thought about it and as such, he quickly amended it. "I mean... How long were you watching me for?" Little to his knowledge, the Kelvic had likely been sitting in front of him for thirty ticks or more as he mused upon the qualities of the Void. Lost in his thoughts, she caught him entirely by surprise.

"Do you live here with Kelski?" he asked.
Farris
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Rene Rafar on July 18th, 2018, 2:55 am

At the sound of the man's voice Ren tilt her head to the side and smiled. Not ready to say anything yet she was just watching what he was doing with his hands when they started to glow violet energy she stiffed not sure what he was going to do but she kept her movements slow and non-threatening.

"Yes I live here with Kels." Shrugging in a nonchalant way, "Been watching sense I came back from work and its been roughly three chimes now. Who are you? What was that you were doing?" She asked the later with a hint of wonder and excitement.
Last edited by Rene Rafar on July 18th, 2018, 4:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rene Rafar
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Farris on July 18th, 2018, 3:53 am

Was Farris really so consumed in his practice that he didn't notice someone approach, walk around him and then subsequently seat herself in front of him? The Reimancer allowed himself to relax. Clearly, Rene wasn't dangerous and had every right to be in the Gem. The Res withered from the back of his hands as he let out the breath he was holding. A calm washed over Farris as he considered her words.

Three chimes passed with them in the same room? He supposed, upon further reflection that it wasn't too difficult to believe. Farris often lost himself to thought about the nature of what he was doing. Rather than simply perform his tasks, he sought to fully engross himself in them, dedicating the proper attention needed to learn what he could from it. He tilted his head, a curious expression set upon his features as he mused upon what to do with this Kelvic. If he answered her question, he'd need to silence her somehow, and he'd rather not put a house mate to Kelski in a position like that. Especially when the other Kelvic so generously let him use the space.

Farris promised to answer Kelski's questions, but he never promised the same to anyone else. He wasn't a teacher by any means, and with no incentive provided to explain himself, he simply shrugged his shoulders. "Three chimes? I must've spaced out. How foolish of me. In any case, I'm Farris. Kelski said I could come in and practice on occasion. Who are you?" The questions were answered quickly, dismissing the one that required an answer he was unwilling to give. Magic was rather well known and Sunberthians were told about it for the sole purpose of being taught to fear it.

This put the wizard at an impasse. Was she Sunberthian? Foreign? Was she something different altogether? Farris knew of one race in particular that was often younger than they appeared. Were there others? Or was Kelski's home a
haven for Kelvics? There were so many questions born out of Rene's presence in the room, and he paused, letting his thoughts calm so that he was properly paying attention to the woman when she answered.
Farris
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Rene Rafar on July 18th, 2018, 4:41 am

"I'm sorry where is my manners I'm Ren if Kels knows your here who am I to say otherwise." Smiling at Farris, "It is very nice to meet you. You have nothing to fear from me giving out any secrets that are shared under this roof. If this is where you feel safe to meditate then please continue. I did not mean to disturbed you. I just thought it best to just wait until you had finished whatever it was you were working on."

Lifting her hands palms up in a harmless jester. "I'm glad I did. How about you? If you are finished down her we can head upstairs for something to drink? If you still need to work please stay until you have finished. Kels maybe home now if not I can still get dinner started your welcome to stay."

Ren slowly got to her feet and headed to the stairs leaving Farris to follow or not as he wished.
Rene Rafar
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Farris on July 24th, 2018, 11:29 pm

Rene was such a pleasant person. Farris could see a darkness in most that lived within the city. The air of Siunberth seemed poisoned with negativity and despair, the people often fearful or otherwise distraught. This woman, however, seemed entirely unaffected by the city, as evidenced by her polite disposition. The Reimancer was somewhat startled by her invitation but she didn't linger to gauge his reaction. Rather, the young woman stood and moved away from Farris, leaving him with an invitation but otherwise to his own devices.

Farris allowed a moment to consider the invitation and found his stomach growling with the idea of food. He'd expended a reasonable amount of his djed and while he certainly could continue his efforts, he saw no reason to refuse her. Farris left his rucksack and items in the basement, rising to his feet before he trod up the stairs in order to join Rene.

"You didn't need to apologize. I'm a guest. You haven't met me before and I entered your home unannounced," he assured her, an easy smile cast upon his expression. They key Kelski gave him was worn around his neck, the metal just hidden away by his shirt. He lifted it so that it was within the scope of Rene's vision before setting it down.

Her assurances of before somewhat caught him off guard, wondering what secrets she might think him keeping. She seemed unfamiliar with the arcane, lacking fear or caution altogether. The naivete she possessed diminished his suspicions, but all the while her words seemed to prove the opposite. What was the wizard meant to think? He wasn't sure, and as such, he persisted, deciding that lingering was best until he had a better idea of what went on within the Midnight Gem. Clearly, several people lived here. Wasn't it a business? Confusion was cast upon the Reimancer's expression, but he didn't seek answers immediately. Rather, he'd make easy conversation with Rene, curious to learn more about the woman that snuck up on him.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Ren. I'm Farris. If you don't mind my asking... are you a Kelvic, too? Kelski's told me nothing of her housemates."
Last edited by Farris on July 25th, 2018, 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Farris
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Rene Rafar on July 25th, 2018, 12:06 am

Ren smiled, "Its just Ren to friends and seeing the key around your neck means Kels knows you and trust in you so you have nothing to fear by me," her eyes narrowed in at him, "only warning I will give is this you or anyone in this house hurts Kels then all bets are off. Kelski is kind enough to open her home to us she calls friends when everything she has been through in her life shows she should have no reason to be this kind to us."

With that said Ren went about the kitchen gathing some fruits and tow glasses of water for their small meal.

"Yes, I'm a kelvic as well as Kelski." Though she did hint about the others living in the Gem she didn't feel it was her place to tell this man about them it was none of his business or hers to give out family information for that was what they were a family."Kels leaves it up to us weather we want to interact with anyone outside the Gem aside from the helping of the customers. So how u meat Kels anyway?" She asked.
Rene Rafar
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Farris on July 27th, 2018, 10:21 pm

Farris' queries were answered rather efficiently. However, Ren also slipped a threat into her words and he couldn't help but be amused by it. His expression was filled with it as he tapped on the table. Perhaps it was rude to laugh as he did, but he didn't care. He raised his hands up in a mockery of surrender. His laughter was tempered into a grin, and he nodded in agreement before considering his answer. Did how he met Kelski count as hurting her? The Kelvic was already in a pitiable state when they met. It was a trick of fate that both put her life in jeopardy and relieved her of it all the while. He decided to omit a detail for Ren's sake and offered an answer, "Kelski and I met when she discovered me in the midst of practice. Much like we did, actually. Curious, even in safety I find that a Kelvic unmasks me." He shrugged at the thought, quite certain that Kelski and her allies wouldn't endanger him.

The Reimancer was glad for Ren's hospitality. The Reimancer took an apple from the selection as well as the water. He listened to her as he took a bite, musing quietly as he considered the Kelvic for a moment. Though she looked around Kelski's (or his own) age, he wondered how young she was. Values of protection and camaraderie were easy to see, but she clearly didn't know or understand some other nuances, particularly in conversation. Farris decided to elaborate, to gauge Ren's reaction, "She offered me a place to hide from the world and I graciously took it. I really appreciate her hospitality, Ren. You'll encounter no trouble from me, so long as I can help it." The Midnight Gem was a sanctuary for the mage, a protection he'd sought without and nearly paid for with his life. Now, he was safe and could cultivate his understanding of the arcane without the threat of death upon him. The Reimancer was tired from his efforts, and it showed in his posture. He leaned forward in his head, his elbows resting on the table.

Farris raised a hand to his chin, absently stroking his beard as he looked at the Kelvic with an appraising gaze. He considered observing her aura to gather more from her presence, but he was tired. His limbs felt somewhat heavy and a thirst plagued him. He drained the glass of water beside him quickly and a soft 'ah' parted from his lips.
Farris
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Rene Rafar on July 27th, 2018, 11:26 pm

Ren nodded liking the answer he gave about the Gem being a safe haven for all who come to visit or to live. She relaxed her guard she smiled. "Kelski has a very kind heart I just dont want to see anyone intentionally hurting her." Pausing to look at Farris.

"I don't think any of us would have met if it wasn't for Kels. I know we all have our reasons for doing what we do so I won't ask. Though I am a really good listener if you would like some one to talk to. I also can keep secrets if asked and in this case you don't need to worry about me saying anything of what I just watched downstairs."

Cocking her head with a questioning look on her face a slight hint of her young age slipping through with her next question. "What were you doing anyway? All I could see was a bit of light and you siting on the floor with a book by your side. Here let me get you some more water you look as if you could use some more." Getting up she brought over a pitcher of water and began refilling his glass before setting the pitcher on the table they were sitting at.
Rene Rafar
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next