Songs of Silence

A mute Savis attempts to find a solution to her problem.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

Songs of Silence

Postby Savis Maren on July 23rd, 2018, 9:57 am

13th of Summer, 518 3rd Bell.

Ten days.

It took Savis Maren's voice ten days to die altogether. She'd noticed it since the beginning. First, her gravely tones went hoarse and quiet. The Nuit was capable of vocalization for ten days but found her words tiring her. The sensation was foreign to her, with fatigue a concept not felt or known in nearly a century. Certainly, unlife was slow and tedious. The Nuit's pace was normally slower than a human was when they were awake. Journeys were longer and her reflexes delayed by a quantifiable amount. She'd long accepted such realities, not missing or remembering the rhythm of her human self. Time healed such wounds and brought one to accept their reality and yet the present day reminded her more than most of her advanced gait as a living being. While her voice was drained slowly from her, she found her movements quickened. Ever since the creation of her beloved tool, Sil, Savis Maren found that she could do more and faster throughout the day. Her loss of speech was unsettling, but with few needs outside of her home, she'd even grown content with the silence. At least... for now.

Is this permanent? Have I traded my voice for the ability to walk normally? Is this a trade I'm willing to make? I suppose, in time, I'll seek out some assistance from the mages within Lhavit. For now, however, perhaps my own insights might prove useful.

The Nuit was rather proud by nature. Though she was accepted into the city of Lhavit she found her welcome somewhat strained. She did not yet trust and by extension found it impossible to ask for help in her plight. Instead, she prepared herself. Unable to call out for her assistant, Sil, she was relegated to fetching her own tools. She produced her painting set from her rucksack, setting the rest aside as she sat at the desk in her room at the Solar Wind apartments. In front of her and against the wall there was a mirror, which she looked into as if her shell might show signs of what had transpired. She opened her mouth and attempted to cry out to no success. Instead of her voice, there was a weak croak followed by her expelling air from her maw. The effort once proven to be futile was cast aside and instead, she opened the tube-shaped container that held her paints and brush. She set a single container on her desk, popping the lid before she held her brush in her left hand. Dabbing into the paint, she then used the mirror in front of her. To the uninitiated, it might appear as if the Nuit was applying very strange make-up, but it was for another purpose that her skin dyed black.

Savis drew a circle in the palm of her left hand. Carefully she traced the unique print, tracing each groove of the limb before extending the paint to her fingertips. Within the center of her palm, she drew a circle, which united the lines and provided a form to the focus. Savis then completed the rune with a trigger. The singular glyph was tasked to the purpose of amplifying the reach of her djed and providing her a means of furthering her talents with Auristics, made active by her indulgence into the discipline. Once she was satisfied, the mage looked at the aesthetics of her rune. A flicker of distaste was present upon her countenance, her facial expressions made so much more present without speech to properly express her thoughts. The rune looked a sight but would prove more functional than stylish. She created it for one purpose only and that purpose was to be pursued immediately.

Djed welled from the depths of Savis' soul. Immediately it traveled from the length of her spine through the pathways within her rotting body. Traveling quickly with the aid of the focus, she implemented touch into the magic, intent on feeling with her hands to investigate what might ail her. Fingers pressed to her throat, djed coursing within the runes on her palm as it pressed to the flesh in turn. She felt the slow drip of the ichor in her arm as gravity pulled it along her musculature. She felt the decay within her flesh setting in, slowed by the cold but nonetheless trudging onward. The Aurist also felt the decaying muscles vibrate as she sought to call out her own name. She spoke, but words did not pour from her mouth. She called out the names of her parents next, her masters before at last she surrendered to the silence. Disappointed by her inability to divine the nature of her illness, the djed waned from her hand and she allowed the Sight to flicker off. Downtrodden by her lack of success, it was back to the drawing board as the Nuit mused in her mind in regard to what action she might take next.

Auristics proved entirely useless, even with Glyphing augmenting the practice... Perhaps, instead, I need to find a workaround? My primary concern is the inability to communicate with the Shinya when the time comes to change. I have a lot of time before then, but there are also other matters to consider... I need to convey my needs and Sil is of no use. I need a way to speak...

As Savis' thoughts moved to Sil, her animated servant, a brilliant idea came to mind.

What if I create another animation? Capable of speech... Able to respond to nonverbal stimulus... It doesn't sound impossible! But I need tools to begin such an endeavor.

The Nuit was very early into the morning and had plenty of time to consider her options.
Savis Maren
Only a little bit dead

Words: 399286
Joined roleplay: July 8th, 2018, 11:49 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) 2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Songs of Silence

Postby Savis Maren on July 23rd, 2018, 11:06 am

Nearly a bell passed as Savis mused without progress about the nature of her plight. She wasn't merely unable to speak. Sound itself seemed to choke and wither upon her tongue. She remembered how to speak and her tongue formed the motions, yet her body did not obey her commands and release sound. Was it a curse formed from the cruel jokes of the Gods? Savis doubted it very much. Was it a consequence of her magical indulgence? It was possible but she had no idea what connection losing her voice had with Animation. Was something happening within Lhavit itself? Savis couldn't hope to know an answer with any form of certainty and thus, she dropped the question altogether. Rather, her thoughts turned on the task before her. She withdrew her empty book from her bag, squeezing together the bristles of her paintbrush before dipping it into the font of paint so that she might compile a list of needs for the task ahead.

This construct does not need to move or see. It doesn't need to function as a normal construct but instead as a tool. So I'll eschew the normal commands of movement and instead open up my directives to the understanding and expression of the Common tongue. Infusing the capacity to speak into the animation is the only thing I should concern myself with.

Satisfied with her analysis, Savis mused next upon what the intended animation might be composed of. It needed no legs or arms, required no characteristics of any sort of mobile creature. Rather, it need be sturdy and easily stored, activated non-verbally and able to respond to commands in a different manner altogether.

Instead of focusing on form, function is key. If I can emulate the tongue within an otherwise hollow shape, then I can train it to form words using memories of speech. A small cube might be best, though perhaps it needs to be on scale with my own mouth in order to best understand what to do.

Satisfied with her musings, Savis lifted her eyes from the point on the desk she stared at. Her mind was so consumed that the passage of time became meaningless. By the time she recouped her awareness of the world around her, light spilled into the darkness of her room through a single raised curtain. Syna carved her path through the Lhavitian sky, signaling to the Animator that the time to purchase the tools needed to proceed was nigh. Before she left, however, she had something to do. She stood before the mirror with a scrutinizing gaze. Her skin grew paler by the day but showed no signs of open wounds or tears that might exacerbate the shell and reduce its lifespan. Her eyes were sullen and devoid of emotion, but also held in them a determination that eased her misgivings about her plight. She'd work through it somehow and then, once she was done, she'd seek out answers as to why her voice left her at all.

Savis found it quicker and easier to dress, her concerns fading away. The Nuit applied perfume to the grooves of her neck and her wrists before a small dab on the chest completed the effort. She braided her hair again, letting it rest along her right shoulder as she thought on what materials might best serve her purpose.

A tongue-like mass needs to exist in the center of the structure. Bound to the surface by fabric or metal. Metal seems incorrect, given that the rest of it might well be sewn together as fabric. Give the tongue a bit of weight to emphasize the sounds that pour from it. It'll be a pain to articulate this to an artisan without the ability to speak... I should create a blueprint and see who's able to assist. It might be useful to draw information from the shopkeeper as I'm relaying to them the idea I have... Studying the motion of the tongue as it moves might be important.

Certainly, Savis knew how tongues worked from her own experiences, but it never hurt to have a secondary perspective. The Animator gathered her things but kept her journal out. She dipped her brush into paint and drew a cube upon one of the pages, beginning a diagramme of what she sought after. A layer of fabric sewn onto one of the cube's faces marked the 'tongue'. Two seams were present, one connecting the tongue to the roof of the cube and another connecting it to the base. Satisfied that the shape was, at the very least, correct, she then drew a large number of grooves into the side of the object, etching a number into each one.

At this point, I can tie vowel and consonant sounds to a groove. That way the tongue knows what syllables to create.

The less intelligence the animation possessed, the easier it'd be to manipulate to Savis' ends, after all.

It just needs to work, she thought as she stepped outside of her apartment and into the city of Lhavit.
Savis Maren
Only a little bit dead

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Songs of Silence

Postby Savis Maren on July 23rd, 2018, 9:16 pm

It was a relief to see how well Savis was adjusting to life in Lhavit. Despite the unfortunate loss of her speech, the Nuit was safe from harm and rather content to live within the place. There was plentiful access (provided sufficient funds) to resources that proved useful. There was a rich culture to participate in should the Nuit choose to engross herself in it. The place was in every way the home Savis hoped for it to be, so long as she remained in good graces with the Shinya. But, it seemed that her arrival was somewhat untimely. A dense fog fell over Lhavit and the general populace seemed afraid and at a loss. The fog held within it an ominous quality that seemed to throw a sense of gloom about the citizens. Savis' life was not so safe in the past and the few disappearances that arose within the city hardly gave her cause for alarm. Rather she trudged forth with some measure of caution and sought to mind her own business. The trek to Lucis and Lucis was one she made herself familiar with, forging the path at least once every few days to peruse the gadgeteer's wares and draw inspiration from them for her own creations.

It wasn't an overly long journey, but the fog did throw her off. More than once she passed the gate that led to the massive undertaking that was Lucis and Lucis. When she found her way, she entered the largest building with the intent of tracking down the gadgeteer Edward Lucis and try to pick his brain without the ability to speak. Savis wasn't excited to do so, in fact, she dreaded the vulnerability she felt in the moment. While her debilitation didn't seem so impactful at the beginning, it was as she stepped into the doors of the emporium that she truly realized how powerless she was.

The emporium was a lovely place. There were dozens, if not hundreds of contraptions and curiosities that each struck the Animator. From simple toys like the mannequin that comprised of Sil's body to wheeled automatons not yet given life by Animation. The range in size and shape was truly incredible and Savis knew that if she ever regained the ability to speak that she'd need to bridge a connection with Edward Lucis. The thought of inquiry withered away as Savis' attention was instead seized by the complexity of the devices in front of her. If the woman's body was living, her heart might have leaped into her throat. Yet, such an organ didn't even exist in her body. Instead, her pale eyes widened. Eager to investigate a particularly interesting metal creation, Savis pulled at the reserves of djed that welled in the depths of her soul. A shiver poured up the length of her spine and through her body. It was only when she pulled at the reservoir of djed within her that she truly felt... alive. That shiver turned to a surge of delight that spread up her spine and into her face.

Djed welled within her eye sockets, a glint present in her otherwise void, dead gaze as she called upon the Sight to inform her of what was going on in front of her. The aura that rose about the automaton was thin and rigid, as there was no magic at work within the construct. However, the Aurist trudged on, intent on analyzing the structure. It was inert but based upon the gears and systems that were visible beneath a layer of metal, it was meant for movement. Wheels were present instead of legs, two long, thin arms prodtruding from a wide chest piece. The construct had no head, but large gemstones were present in a straight line around its torso. Clearly, whoever intended to use this construct was looking for a tool capable of seeing in every direction.

As Savis looked to each gear, the aura she interacted with illuminated the part and those around it to her vision. She seemed to peer through metal and was intent on gleaning information. She couldn't divine exactly how the object moved and worked, though she did see joints in each of the arms and a swivel about the center that might provide omni-directional mobility. The construct was, by Savis' understanding, highly advanced. Most likely, an Animator with a far greater understanding than her own was going to use it as an assistant of some kind.

Savis Maren let the Sight dwindle from her gaze, the rich feeling of life and joy that personal magic brought to the senses dwindling as well. It was when she was done that she felt a tap on her shoulder. She turned her head to find Edward Lucis behind her, a kindly smile cast upon the old man's expression as she looked over the Nuit.

"You've been here before, right? Not sure if we've been introduced. My name is Edward Lucis. How may I help you?"

Savis tensed, turning around to face the gadgeteer properly as she reached into her rucksack and produced her journal, brush and a vial of paint. She held up a hand to convey that she needed time, her lips pursed with a very visible frustration as Edward's eyebrows arched with confusion. Savis hurriedly dipped the brush into the vial. She painted words onto the page, using up half the space in an effort to convey her thought.

Greetings, Mr. Lucis! My name is Savis Maren and yes, I have been here before. I don't know why, but I've lost the ability to speak. I have a rudimentary blueprint... could you look it over and help me?

The Animator put the book into Edward's hand, turning it so that the words faced him. As he read, she reached for the loose print she'd created and tore from the page. The gadgeteer nodded, somewhat confused but clearly wanting to help.

"Uh, certainly. I'll do what I can..." he said, trailing off as the Animator unfolded the parchment that detailed her design.

In front of Edward Lucis a crude drawing of a cube with a tongue-like object resting in the middle. The Animator then took back her journal and began to write in it again, using the bottom half of the page to convey her concerns.

As you can see, I don't have a clue what I'm doing... I need a construct capable of forming words. It doesn't need to move in any other way.
Savis Maren
Only a little bit dead

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Songs of Silence

Postby Savis Maren on July 23rd, 2018, 10:23 pm

Edward Lucis looked over the Nuit in his emporium with a measure of intrigue. Her plight wasn't one the gadgeteer could understand but even non-mages could tell that something was happening within Lhavit. The fog that blanketed the city brought with it some strange occurrences and it seemed that mages more than most were suffering at the hands of it. The gadgeteer was the first to notice the silver ichor that coagulated at the edges of Savis' mouth. Horror was flecked upon his expression as Savis hunched over, a cough escaping her lips soundlessly as she heaved. Droplets of ichor splattered to the floor as she fell onto her knees. There was no pain but her equilibrium was disturbed and she found it impossible to see past the veil of silver that tapered her eyesight. Savis raised her hands to her eyes as she brushed the ichor away. The 'bleeding' did not relent but was slow enough that the Animator used a cupped hand to catch the ichor. It certainly showed that the gadgeteer was appalled at the sight of the Nuit spooning her ichor back into her mouth.

Savis Maren swallowed the spooned ichor without a thought, her eyes wide and speckled with silver ichor that drooped down her face like tears. She hurriedly reached for her journal, using her brush to scribble an apology to the gadgeteer, who showed an immense patience and understanding given that ichor was splattered on the floor.

I'm so sorry... There's something going on here and I can't tell what it is. If you want I can leave.

She raised the book for Edward to read, the old man shaking his head, a measure of empathy arisen in his expression. "Please tend to yourself in... whatever way your kind does. I'll keep your blueprint and I'll add my own thoughts to your design. Come back in four bells and I'll provide you with a price." Savis merely nodded in agreement and fled from Lucis and Lucis in search of shelter. She ran as quickly as her Nuit body took her, weaving past citizens without a thought of them on her mind.

When Savis Maren arrived in her home, she took her seat immediately at her desk. Ichor had coagulated on her high cheekbones, splattered itself on her lips and leaked from the sides of her mouth. It spilled into her hair from her ears in trace amounts and brought to her the look of a woman hemorrhaging from the inside. It looked to Savis that the bleeding was less severe than it looked, the macabre sight of her face erupted in silvery blood perhaps far more frightening than the consequences of her actions.

At the very least, Savis Maren knew now the cause of her plight. It seemed that magic of any kind caused a chain reaction. Djed was the source of her struggles and yet her only solution to this occurrence was employing the use of animation yet again. Savis' resolve did not weaken and she spent the next half a bell dabbing ichor from her orfice with a rag, then feeding the fluid back into her mouth so that her existence remained preserved. When the bleeding stopped at last, Savis let a silent sigh of relief cast upon her. She still had three bells to waste away in anticipation of Edward's creation. The gadgeteer was incredibly clever for a mortal and anticipated her needs very well despite her inability to express them vocally. She was relieved for his professionalism and it occurred to her that she had the time now to create a Soulcore in order for the process to go more smoothly later.

Savis moved out of her chair and sat on the floor behind it. Her rucksack spilled to the floor with her as the chair was pushed in by a swift motion. The Animator drew two circles onto the floor, then bridged them together with a long line that bisected the room she lived in. She reached for the rag on the desk next, using some ichor that was left from her earlier bleeding to task the animation circles. The larger of the two was occupied by Savis Maren herself.

Savis made sure to leave a slot in the blueprint she handed Edward Lucis and had the confidence in the gadgeteer to know the intricacies of animation based on his previous commissions. She placed a tiny pebble in the Destination circle, sitting down in the Source circle as djed began to encircle both of them. She purposed the djed and directed its flow towards the Destination. With the employ of Animation she created the very basis of life, a fraction of self that would act as the animation's core. The process was short and steady, and when it was completed and the pebble served as a basis of identity for the Animation she sought out, she stood. By her account she had a bell left before Edward was done with her commission and she'd eagerly spend that time in his store perusing his collection of wares.
Savis Maren
Only a little bit dead

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Songs of Silence

Postby Savis Maren on July 28th, 2018, 8:16 am

Savis was certain that she was presentable and healthy for her exit from her home. She grew more familiar with the path and stayed her course effectively. The Animator did not watch for people but avoided obstacles in her path. When she entered Lucis and Lucis anew, she no longer held a vivid curiosity for the constructs around her. The use of Auristics was the cause of her bleeding and found it wise to avoid the practice for a while. The Animator found the gadgeteer with ease and offered the elderly man an uncertain smile. The gadgeteer studied the Nuit closely and in his hands, Savis saw a most curious device.

It was a box in shape, with a flap at the top that seemed to work with a hinge. Edward caught her gaze and opened the box to satisfy the undead mage's curiosity. Inside there was a long, leather strap that rested at the base of the box. She didn't pretend to know how the contraption was created but was eager to utilize it in her efforts. An elated smile cast upon the Nuit's countenance as she took the device in her hands. The Nuit did not bring her notebook with her but brought her coin purse instead. The gadgeteer seemed to notice the communication barrier and spoke plainly,

"It'll be thirty kina, Savis. Also, I have a proposition for you. I remember your last visit and it's clear you're an animator. If you're interested, I'll offer you a position at my store. Not as a gadgeteer, but maybe you can learn the craft while you're here." There was pity evident in the gadgeteer's features. Clearly, Savis' mute condition pulled on the elderly man's heartstrings. Savis nodded her head in agreement, but in her gaze, she asked for more information. She also gave Edward the funds he requested. Lucis did not wait for a response but simply added, "Come back on the 15th. We'll get you started and I'd very much like to see what you're using this device for, as well."

Savis Maren nodded and felt a surge of motivation to complete her work. If the great Edward Lucis took an interest in her, who was she to refuse? The situation was suitable to her needs and surely, she'd need more and more tools for her animations. Knowing in some part how they worked served to further the study of Animation. She offered the gadgeteer one last wave but did not approach him. Incapable of giving thanks to her new employer, she hoped he'd settle for her work ethic at his disposal.

Savis left the shop in a hurry to start her efforts anew. Everything was as she left it in her home, and she was very eager to install the Soulcore she'd created into the slot meant to accommodate it. Savis took her place in the Source circle. She leaned forward and placed the cube into the center of the Destination circle. The flow of djed was still within the circle and she began to change that. Her paintbrush suffused with heavy paint, she traced over the faded lines that formed both circles. The line connected them anew before she resumed her proper seating. The flow of djed resumed within both circles. Savis Maren reached out to such djed and began to weave it. Her will provided life to the djed as she steered it to the Destination circle. The cube was within the scope of her sight until it was all she could see. Thoughts closed off everything else.

Savis Maren's eyes closed as she began to instill life into the Soulcore suffused object. It was the second phase of Animation spurred forth and she began the steady course of infusing the cube with a Persona. The template of thought infused into the cube. Twenty chimes were spent in the efforts it took to introduce the concepts of life and consciousness and Savis Maren required a brief respite before continuing on. The Nuit did not move from her place. Instead, her eyes closed and she began to clear her thoughts. For this animation, Savis didn't need to rely on memories of the present. She needn't dwell on what transpired recently. Rather, she cleared her thoughts of extraneous information and focused fully on the instincts that were written into sentient creatures. Instincts that dwelled within her own mind but were unable to be used.

Secret :
30 kina deducted from ledger.
Last edited by Savis Maren on July 28th, 2018, 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Savis Maren
Only a little bit dead

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Songs of Silence

Postby Savis Maren on July 28th, 2018, 9:05 am

The Nuit spent a fair amount of time clearing her thoughts. Djed swelled within the destination circle as she wove the basis of speech into the construct. With the concept of speech there was an understanding that language existed. She fed ideas into concepts, and the djed was set to work. To create an Animation was the molding of a mind. Savis introduced the concept of the Common tongue to the Destination. First, there was a particular need to introduce the concept of sound. As if to express the idea aloud, she reached to the ground and clicked the floor with her fingernail.

To follow the concept of sound she conceived of movement and thrust the idea into the Persona. As the Persona began to develop more concepts, basic ideas and the flow of knowledge, she decided to press forward. The concepts she introduced were basic human functions and she felt no discomfort in creating them. However, it was tedious and bells passed as the concepts were introduced over and over, reinforced and redoubled. The Persona was infused with basic understanding of the Common tongue and a compendium of words that might prove useful to the Animator.

What followed next was somewhat more difficult. There were, as instructed, grooves on the surface of the cube. They were strewn about the four side faces of the cube that were planned ahead of time by the Animator. But their purpose was not necessary just yet. She thought on such grooves, however, as she instilled the knowledge of touch into the cube. It was conveyed as a means of communication from master to object. Where Sil was activated by verbal cues, Savis infused a cue within the understanding of the sense of touch. The cue to activate when touched on a combination of grooves on each side.

The sense of touch slid easily into the next concept she sought for the object to learn. The idea of movement followed, and the movements were paired with Savis' own memories of speech. The movements of the tongue corresponded with words that were spoken. Savis taught the Persona how to speak and form words, the concept of language reinforced by the inclusion. She was careful, however, not to instill the concept of understanding language into the Animation. She didn't need it to have such knowledge.

For you, your only purpose is to express my ideas. Not to have your own or to express the ideas of others. Touch will be the means by which you form words.

The cues were set and the concepts introduced. Savis Maren was pleased in her assembly of the Persona and the knowledge she poured into it. Confident that the animation was capable of what she wanted from it, she sought to reinforce her efforts. Well into the depths of the night by the time she completed her task, Savis took another two bells to reaffirm her teachings and reinforce them. She formed the movements of the tongue as she reinforced them into the Animation.

She formed the words without speaking them, relying on memories for the construct to understand how it felt to speak and how words were formed. She did not, however, indulge the animation in the nuances of conversation or the concept of idea exchange at all. To add an additional level of complexity to her design was both unnecessary and unwise. Already, she considered her efforts to be, to her, revolutionary. She conducted an experiment with animation this evening, curious to see if she could, at least somewhat, save herself from the plight of being deprived of the conversations she'd deny her Animation.
Savis Maren
Only a little bit dead

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Songs of Silence

Postby Savis Maren on July 28th, 2018, 6:39 pm

The process of Animation was slow and required great caution in order to instill into the construct the ideas that were desired. More importantly, it seemed, to consider which concepts to leave out and how best to approach a balance. To give too little direction to the djed might result in failure, but to provide too much might create a being with intelligence that Savis didn't want to exist. It seemed trivial, to concern herself with it when her construct had such a specific purpose but nonetheless, she remained cautious.

Step by step the Nuit advanced in her creation until it was time to stretch the Persona's programming. This, of course, included linking its knowledge of language to the limb that might take use of it. She pursed her lips in thought as she considered the numerous grooves that existed on the surface. Djed did not, in the moment, surge through the circles and she was free to leave the Source circle in order to retrieve her paint brush. She did not dare write upon it yet, but rather, studied the grooves slowly. She memorized the calloused surface of the animation and to each one she imbued a command. Twenty-six callouses were embedded into the metal, and each was meant to correspond to a letter. Her animation, provided with knowledge of the Common tongue and the concepts of letters to form syllables, was prepared for her next step.

A, she thought as she reached the first groove. B... she continued, passing over each groove and implanting a directive that activated upon touch. She further wove djed in order to correspond these letters with syllables, giving the golem cues to form syllables out of the entered letters. J... she thought as she reached the corresponding grove. As the knowledge was implanted and the letters were assigned in turn she sought to weave djed into the formation of her first directive.

Each groove corresponds with the letter assigned to it. The prime directive of the automaton was placed. Simplistic in nature, the supreme law of the automaton was meant to be followed in touch.

You will activate when the letters 'O' and 'N' are pressed in sequence.

The command was simple, but necessary in order to spur the magic into being usable. The next directives meant to correspond with all of the letters in turn.

You will wait one tick for additional commands after each letter.

Once a tick has passed, you will speak the letters assigned as syllables logged into your Persona.

Words formed from the pressing of letters will be spoken plainly.

The four directives were filed into the Persona to be followed fluidly and the Animator, satisfied with both the directives and the knowledge the golem needed to function, breathed a sigh of relief. By the time Savis Maren finished implementing her directives, the night passed and Syna rose again above the skies. The Animator still had a full day before she returned to Lucis & Lucis, and as such intended to complete her task before drifting off to other matters.

One final step before this hunk of metal is entirely done... she mused, considering the task at hand. First, she closed her eyes while within the circle. Her awareness of the djed that spun and suffused into the golem became sharper. Her will brought with it an understanding of its Life Principle and the astral body that intelligence was granting the object. Savis Maren raised her hands at level with her chest, twisting them as she envisioned the tongue that lay inert within the Animation. She did not need to teach the construct to perceive the world, but rather, merely the metallic surface it bore. She cast her fingers along each of the grooves in turn, intent on having the animation learn what commands corresponded to which letters. Another bell was spent in that effort, and when she was done, the Animator educated the construct next in how to move its tongue.

Savis Maren spent four bells forming the tongue movements and subsequently transmitting them to the golem. Once she was satisfied, she let the flow of djed within the circles halt. The magic was sealed again with ichor before she carried the box out of the circles and placed it onto the desk in front of her mirror.

Now... let's play some word games.
Savis Maren
Only a little bit dead

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Songs of Silence

Postby Savis Maren on July 28th, 2018, 6:57 pm

Savis Maren was getting ahead of herself. She'd retrieved her brush for a reason, but in the bells between then and the moment of completion she did not remember why she sought after it. She set the cube on her desk before she looked to the floor. Savis found it with ease and dipped her brush into the vial of paint she had off to the side of her desk. Individually, she went to each of the assigned grooves and painted one by one the letters of the alphabet into each corresponding groove.

It'd be best to have a reminder... she cautioned herself, glad at the very least that her task was completed. Once the paint was present on the cube, Savis decided that it was best to let it sit. While the paint dried upon the surface of the cube, she decided to produce her journal. The Nuit mused upon what she wanted to write and decided upon the primary functions of the automaton she'd made in case she ever needed reminding. The animation, hopefully, wasn't going to be needed forever, but even when her speech returned the reminder might prove full of useful insights.

13th of Summer, 518

I have completed a golem that will serve to translate tactile commands into spoken word. Currently, I've turned mute and require the item to communicate with others so as to express needs or wants without the need for paper or pen.

The cube is approximately four inches tall and an equal length. It possesses a flap at the top that is kept slightly open. Presumably, this is meant for an echo effect to make the sound louder. I didn't ask Edward Lucis for his reasoning in design, seeing as I was unable to communicate when I received my purchase.

The golem has twenty-six grooves each with a painted letter upon it meant for clarity, not purpose. Each groove corresponds with the painted letter and the cube's intelligence will translate letters into words before saying them.

The golem will wait one tick for any new input before speaking, so be sure to enter commands in a timely fashion.

Satisfied with her notes, Savis began the task of testing out her creation. The paint dried after thirty chimes and the mid morning sun struggled to break through the overwhelming fog that fell over Lhavit. The Nuit did not concern herself with the time of day as she pressed the 'O' and 'N' grooves in sequence.

The golem did not illuminate or make sounds as it activated. Rather, the rattling of wires in its 'mouth' could be heard at it flickered to life. Savis waited a moment before she pressed grooves in sequence.

M-Y N-A-M-E I-S S-A-V-I-S M-A-R-E-N, she padded diligently before waiting an allotted tick. What came next brought a wide grin to the Nuit's features.

"My name is Savis Maren," the animation spoke aloud, its words staggered and the Nuit's first name misprounced. But, she didn't care. Speech was available to her once again. Soundlessly, the Nuit cried out in happiness, her task completed and her mind ablaze with the possibilities that Animation had to offer.
Savis Maren
Only a little bit dead

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Songs of Silence

Postby Madeira Dusk on August 7th, 2018, 10:36 pm

Grades Awarded!

Don't forget to edit/delete your grade request!

Savis

Skills
  • Observation: 5xp
  • Painting: 4xp
  • Glyphing: 1xp
  • Auristics: 2xp
  • Investigation: 2xp
  • Anatomy: 2xp
  • Planning: 5xp
  • Organization: 2xp
  • Cosmetology: 1xp
  • Land navigation: 1xp
  • Writing: 2xp
  • Animation: 4xp

Lores
  • Glyphing: rune to amplify dijed
  • Lore of the medical uses of Auristics
  • Cosmetology: basic grooming
  • Anatomy: tongue construction
  • Edward Lucis: proprietor of Lucis and Lucis
  • Lore of the effects of internal hemorrhaging
  • Lore of Edward Lucis's job proposal
  • Animation: infusing the basic concepts needed for speech
  • Animation: infusing non-verbal cues
  • Animation: the balance between too little and too much information

Awards & Retribution
Voice Box: -30kina

Notes
Wow you've earned yourself a lot of skills. Well done! And a very cool golem you've made too. I've been learning tons about Animation while grading your threads :D

As always, contact me if you have questions. And remember to edit your grade request!
Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Words: 1599220
Joined roleplay: October 11th, 2016, 7:45 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (3)
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) Lhavit Seasonal Challenge (1)
2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)