Lies and Bad Choices

Bron learns she's not all that she thinks she is

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Lies and Bad Choices

Postby Bronwen on July 16th, 2018, 12:23 am

withdrawn
Last edited by Bronwen on August 16th, 2020, 3:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bronwen
Making myself unforgetable

Words: 127034
Joined roleplay: May 29th, 2014, 6:13 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

Lies and Bad Choices

Postby Farris on July 31st, 2018, 6:00 pm

88th Summer, 518

Darkness clutched at the edges of the Ravokian-born mage's thoughts. As the days spent with his Familiar went on, there was a persistent swing of moods from delighted at the Kirt's presence to abhorring everything about the... thing. There was no middle ground with the Kirt and yet whenever he sought to separate himself from Xypher, they both drew back to one another. In truth, he'd grown accustomed to the stone gecko's voice steeping into his thoughts. He was used to the weight on his shoulders as he carried the familiar in his rucksack. He craved the moments when they were together in silence or when the Kirt was struck by the practice of magic. However, such moments were growing farther and farther in between as the Fence grew busier with the turn of the season looming ahead of them.

You haven't furthered your practice in three days, Farris. What are you doing with yourself? Are you letting yourself sink into satisfaction? Is fear keeping you back?

The Kirt was repetitive and grew more predictable with his biting words. The Fyrdenese had a point. Farris grew tired at the end of each day, the end of season inventory draining him immensely with the paperwork and itemization that he sought to install in the Fence. The tasks he had weren't given directly by Zeke, but he sought to do them anyway. Over time, the process would become easier if he established the habits immediately. Procrastination wasn't in the mage's nature and it caused him to shift his priorities.

Of course not. Patience is the crutch we rely on most, Xypher, he assured the Familiar as they made their way from the Fence and towards the Pig's Foot Tavern. The Reimancer wouldn't pretend he'd ever set foot inside of the place, but the fervent desire to drown his troubles with alcohol grew steadier by the day. Xypher was by no means draining his desire to accomplish his goals, but his interference and his demeanor were a drain on the mind nonetheless. Farris ignored the Familiar's numerous questions and was content to let the Kirt stay in his sealed form without giving him any information. He stepped through the doors and kept his eyes down. He sought to not make eye contact with drunks and cretins, but rather keep to himself.

What the petch are we doing here? Alcohol? Women? They're distractions, mage. Get your pri-

Silence, he spoke in his mind. His brows were furrowed as he made his way to the bar and took a seat. I'm going to have a drink, and you'll be damned to stop me. Reveal yourself and it's trouble for the both of us, he assured the Familiar. Xypher screamed obscenities and demanded the wizard to leave, but Farris was firm. He'd grown to know Xypher and despite the Familiar's constant, aggressive jibes and active intention of inhibiting Farris' day to day life, he wasn't stupid enough to out them in the middle of a pub. Merv was quick to catch sight of the mage, who sat down next to a young woman but did not make eye contact or solicit her for conversation. Rather, the mage kept his gaze trained on the number of bottles behind the counter, and the elderly man who might provide him passage into the embrace of intoxication.

"Well, what'll it be, boy?" Merv asked Farris. The mage shrugged his shoulders for a moment before he asked, "I'll buy a gallon of ale in advance. Though, if you could serve me as I finish glasses, I'd prefer that."

"That'll be extra. I ain't your ale bitch, ye know."

Isn't he, though? the Familiar whispered into Farris' mind. The mage stifled laughter, shrugging his shoulders as he produced four silver mizas and placed them on the table for Merv to take.

"For your hospitality," he offered in a friendly voice. The barkeeper's tune seemed to shift with the addition of mizas into the conversation and Farris was glad to be rid of the man once he was done pouring the first glass. Farris took his first sip and immediately his features pursed with distaste. He'd had alcohol in Ravok and rather enjoyed it. But this... was swill by comparison.

Xypher seemed amused by the mage's expression of disgust.

You wouldn't have the taste of piss in your mouth if you listened to me, he chimed in.

Oh, shut up, Xypher, he responded before taking another sip from the glass. By the sip, it grew on him and before long, Merv filled up his glass without being asked to.

"Thanks," he'd say before letting his gaze drift about. The woman next to him seemed far off and distant, and he mused breaking their mutual silence with a simple, "Evenin'."

Deduction :
-4sm from ledger
Farris
Player

Words: 128087
Joined roleplay: July 10th, 2018, 8:47 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets