Closed [Job Thread] Spark (Zach)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

[Job Thread] Spark (Zach)

Postby Mauriel on August 24th, 2018, 6:52 pm

53rd, Summer, 518AV

Mauriel has made it a habit to get to work during the Dusk Rest. They needed her ready promptly at 18 bells most of the days, although any time of day was an option. Sometimes somebody held a party or there was a cultural event that required her to work at any time of the day, but she was mostly their night bard so far.

She really liked being outside during the Dusk Rest, so she didn’t mind that her job practically required her to be, for commute. She could fly a considerable part of the way as an Akvatari before Leth took hold of the sky, after which she’d change into her celestial form and walk the rest of the way bathed in moonlight. She had to wear dresses or skirts because of the transformation, tho, but she didn’t mind. She was trying to learn about Lhavitan fashion and by the kindness of some strangers has acquired a couple of neat outfits.

The rest hours were also nice because a lot of the city was quiet, solemn. Mauriel thought it was somehow appropriate for the holy hours when Syna and Leth united.

“Good evening,” she greeted Aleah, the bartender, as she entered. The place was empty, most of the guests probably resting, and Ethaefal folk and tourists who sometimes visited during rest hours coincidentally not there this time.

“Oh, hey, El! A bit early, are we?”

“Yeah, actually have to tune the lute.”

“Well, better finish up before guests arrive!”

“Aye, boss!”

She really liked working with Aleah. They had a lot of common views regarding religion, they were both short for Ethaefals, and Mauriel quite liked Aleah’s passion for bartending. It was a seemingly mundane job, but Aleah nonetheless made it into an art. She was the Kapellmeister of the atmosphere at Scholar’s Demise, and it didn’t take one to be very observant to know that. Although Mauriel wondered if the bartender did much more than she was capable of noticing.

She took her place at the middle of the bar. The couple had made sure that she wasn’t in the way and there was plenty of space to walk or even dance around her. She opened her instrument box, and got her lute and the tuning fork. The box has been the courtesy of a street merchant she got the lute from. They talked for quite a while, he was a travelling merchant delivering goods from all over Mizahar, and had a lot of stories to share. He was a tad touched by Mauriel’s passion, although he was also worried, at least he said so, about selling the box without the instrument, as he had difficulty selling instruments at all, given that they were pricy goods and he wasn’t too well-standing.

She played a note and kept adjusting each peg until she was perfectly satisfied with the sound. She couldn’t see it, focused on her instrument, but Aleah was smiling at her. Apparently the admiration of passion they had for their craft and making even the smallest things perfect was mutual.

Last edited by Mauriel on September 10th, 2018, 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mauriel
Shining On

Words: 167162
Joined roleplay: July 12th, 2014, 12:45 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 4
Featured Thread (1) Artist (1)
Overlored (1) Lhavit Seasonal Challenge (1)

Postby Mauriel on August 24th, 2018, 6:59 pm

Roric had poked his head out to inform the two that the kitchen was ready for business, greeting Mauriel along the way. He seemed eager for the evening’s work himself. That’s one thing to get used to around Lhavit for sure, everyone was at least dutiful, if not deeply devoted, to giving their best service to the other citizens and honing their crafts.

“Since the two of you are both here, do you mind me asking you something?” Mauriel was a bit bashful, playing with her hair.

The two were slightly surprised at the serious tone, but they muttered, “Of course.”

“I’ve been at Bharani a lot since my fall, reading up on Lhavit. I ended up adding some words to a tune I’ve been working on, and I mean, it’s really not anything special, I’m really a novice at both composition and poetry, but I thought I’d test it against a crowd-“

“Of course!” Aleah smiled.

Roric was especially amused. “Don’t be stupid. If you don’t try, how are you ever going to learn? It took me a lot of false praises to become this good of a chef. I appreciate the respect you have for this place for asking us that, it would be great if you continue to do so, but please help yourself.”

“But… I feel a bit bad, this place is quite established here, I feel as if it should be kept at a respectable level…”

“And yet you asked,” the Lethaefal reminded her. As Mauriel’s face dropped a bit at that, she reassured her some more. “Listen, there’s plenty of musicians around Lhavit who’re better than you, some even willing to perform at a reasonable price for a place like this. We took you in because we see your potential, it’ll be good for our business if you’re a loyal friend once it comes to fruition, and we’d feel really fulfilled seeing you achieve your dream, knowing that we’ve helped you when you were struggling and learning. We both know how it is to fall with nothing on you. Perhaps the two of us have been lucky to fall here, but it's not easy nonetheless. Please, use our audience for feedback, and please, don’t feel discouraged whatever the outcome. You have the shine in your eyes and some talent, so I believe you’re off to a good start.”

Mauriel was really touched at her words. She had no idea they saw her partially as a friend, or potential friend at least, nor that they believed in her so much. She was so grateful it almost brought tears to her eyes. While being new here was exciting, and being an Ethaefal was quite enjoyable in Lhavit in general, and while she was treated respectfully and decently ever since her fall, she still felt a huge chasm between her and this place, and the people here. And Aleah’s words helped her feel like she belonged, at least for a bit.

“Thank you,” she said, at first instinctively lowering her head, but then deciding she wanted to look them in the eye. “Thank you both.” They were grinning and exchanging glances.

“Alright, everyone to their post, first wave incoming!” Roric exclaimed, as a group of people approached the tavern, before scurrying into the kitchen.

Last edited by Mauriel on September 10th, 2018, 11:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mauriel
Shining On

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Mauriel on August 24th, 2018, 7:04 pm

The guests were greeted and served as Mauriel probed her lute, gently playing some background music. The guests seemed in the mood for conversation, and she didn’t want to impose. When she started playing, she had transformed from the insecure and grateful new arrival, into a passionate musician. She missed the note here and there, but was mostly playing very competently and gracefully.

Soon enough, the place was packed. As the atmosphere intensified, so did her music, she was singing local songs she’s picked up, as well as some Akvatari epics she remembered from her past life, and playing melodies old and new, lost and forgotten, as well as made up locally around the city. The guests seemed pleased for the most part, and she was able to notice, but not to care. She was one with the instrument, taken on a ride with every song, her voice quivering only to emphasize the point of a ballad. Her excitement was a part of the reason for her occasional mistakes in pitch or note, as her tired hands were a bit shaky, and her mind a bit too eager.

She decided it’d be a good time to try out her own song. She made a brief pause, before starting to play. However, she totally missed the sound she was going for, and paused again. It’s attracted some attention, as she rarely made those sorts of big mistakes, especially pausing after them. People were glancing with worry or annoyance. It’s definitely not the kind of attention she’s hoped for, but she could use it. She started again, gently playing the chords.

She began to sing.

The sky is dark
Peace foregone
Another spark
From heavens drawn

Splintered is the olden nation
Chaos ruling the astounded
Yearning for a foundation
Praying are the people blinded

Know they not
As they may
That they'll be
Sung one day

For they'll build
A crowning jewel
'Round the mountain
Spin a newel

The sky is dark
Peace foregone
Another spark
From heavens drawn

A spark of hope
Aysel the wise
To help them cope
Reach great highs

A spark of fire
Talora the kind
To inspire
Together to bind

The sky is dark
Peace foregone
Another spark
From heavens drawn

Her sacrifice
Insurmountable
At a great price
Uncountable

Oh, Star Shining
Future of men
You're defining
Again

The trinity
Showed the way to us
To create divinity
Made of skyglass

The sky is light again
The lovers bathing in dawn
And through great pain
Lhavit stands from then on

She ended with one long note, and was met with a small, polite applause. She thought people seemed to like the song, or at least the feeling behind it, but it definitely didn’t pull them in nearly as strongly as she had hoped, and some parts seemed not to sound to them as good as they did to her practicing back at home. However, it definitely had potential, maybe she could work on the meter and deliver it with some more consistent melody. The chorus might have been repeated too much, she wondered if it'd be more effective just at the beginning...

It was time for her much needed break, before she’d be ready for the next half of the workday. She was pretty tired. She didn’t want to take up space for customers, so she sat at one corner of the bar. Aleah gave her some cold ale, she thanked her, before getting lost in thought.

Last edited by Mauriel on September 10th, 2018, 11:11 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Mauriel
Shining On

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Zach Grasswind on August 27th, 2018, 10:26 am

Zach had been in Lhavit for a mere handful of days. The city was still alien to him in every single way. It unnerved him and fascinated him all at the same time. The Drykas constantly felt as though he was about to tip off the edge and fall all the way to the bottom of the Peaks - heights were something he had little previous experience with. As a consequence, he tended to navigate the city with trepidation, pausing for a while before every bridge and staying as close to the buildings as possible. Hopefully he would get over that quickly.

The way of life in the shining city was also foreign to the hunter. People slept at strange times of the day and were awake half the night. It was such an odd concept to him, and Zach often found himself wandering empty streets, occasionally crossing paths with the mysterious Ethaefal he had quickly grown accustomed to seeing. Life here was so removed from anything he had ever known, but he was determined to get used to it. After all, that really was the main reason he had found himself here.

On this particular evening, Zach once again found himself to be a lone figure weaving his way along the streets of the Zintia Peak. He had caught the Dusk Rest, a time where the denizens of the city were asleep, gathering their energy for any early night activities they might wish to pursue. The young man had yet to visit any place after Syna's light had vanished, and tonight he felt as though he should take that step to try and fit himself into the life here properly.

He let his feet take him where they would, eyes warily keeping themselves trained on the edge of the Peak whenever he could see it. The city was still a maze to him, and he decided to stay on the Zintia Peak this time, lest he get himself lost. After a short while of meandering people started to appear, the Dusk Rest seemingly drawing to an end. The hunter observed for a short while to see the various places they drifted to. His ears picked up talk of a tavern, and Zach stepped after that particular group as they wound their way over to their establishment of choice.

It appeared welcoming, warm orange light shining through the window. A sign informed him that he had approached The Scholar's Demise. He made his way inside, noticing the small group he'd followed nestled off to one side of the cavernous space. Keen eyes roamed over the bar area, noting the proprietors behind the bar - one Ethaefal and one human. Another Ethaefal was seated in the middle of the bar, plucking notes from the lute she held. Zach seated himself over at a corner of the bar, ordering an ale from the barkeep nearest him.

The music from the Ethaefal's lute filled the space around him, and the empty seats were soon filling with people. Zach sipped his ale, and his eyes flicked over to the Ethaefal bard as she began to use her voice to accompany the music that she was playing. The Drykas let his mind wander for a time, thoughts turning back to the open plains of his home.

A dip in the music drew Zach's attention back to himself and the tavern. He glanced over at the Ethaefal, who appeared to have fumbled or stopped her playing for a moment. He took another sip of ale, just as she plucked out a few chords, and then turned his attention on her as she started to sing again. This song was different and the atmosphere inside the tavern seemed to shift slightly and people paused to listen. Zach watched her closely, as the story filled his ears.

Zach didn't know a lot about Lhavit, in fact he knew hardly anything at all. He could tell though, that the Ethaefal was singing about the shining city, perhaps about it's creation? He listened with fascination, and as her song drew to a close he was one of the patrons to offer her some applause. He raised his mug to his lips again as the bard seated herself near him at the end of the bar.

He sat for a few moments in silence, the Ethaefal song weaving through his head. He cleared his throat and turned himself to face her before speaking. "Excuse me." Zach offered her a warm smile. "I wanted to let you know, I enjoyed your song... the story. It was about Lhavit right? How it came to be?" He paused for a brief moment. "I was wondering... could you tell me any more about it?" He smiled again, his eyes lingering briefly on the curling green horns that graced her head.
Zach Grasswind
What’s a tree?

Words: 193110
Joined roleplay: August 9th, 2018, 12:56 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Mauriel on August 27th, 2018, 7:21 pm

The Ethaefal's mind was wandering, first she was over-analyzing her mistakes, then she went into considering how her song could be improved. After some reflection, she really couldn't remove the chorus from the middle, as it provided a transition to next lines. And there was no way she could homogenize the meter at this point without completely changing the song. She should probably just start a new one, keeping what she has learned in mind.

Moonlight was hitting her through the window, though she didn’t really think about that when she picked a spot to sit on. It was quite refreshing. She supposed the bar was purposefully placed like that, so Aleah could enjoy the benefits.

A person to her left spoke up, she didn't even notice him sitting there. She could be a real airhead sometimes. Her performance got to her head a bit, both in terms of excitement and exhaustion. Turning to face him, the Ethaefal couldn't help but notice that he was pretty handsome, and when he offered her a warm smile she almost unconsciously reciprocated. She was happy to have some company, and didn't mind entertaining a guest during her break. It would certainly win her some favor with her employers, and she loved doing it anyway.

“Of course! I'm actually new here myself,” she said, assuming he wasn't local either, not knowing the basic history of Lhavit and not looking very Lhavitan in his fashion sense or tanned skin, which was somewhat unusual here despite one's profession, given the altitude. “I was scouring the library the other day hoping to learn more about the city, the receptionist was kind enough to find me a book that was fairly brief, as if designed for newcomers and tourists.” Both of them completely disregarded introductions and pleasantries, but when it came to Mauriel's mind she thought them best left for later. Remembering names comes easier once you have what to associate them with, and she was as eager as ever to tell a story. “I must sincerely thank you for the compliments,” she added. “I’m not very experienced at composition or poetry, so I’m glad people have at least somewhat enjoyed my attempt. I was really moved by the story and wanted to try and translate it into a performance that would induce similar emotions!”

She started talking, mindful of his reactions, watching to leave him space in case he would want to interject anywhere or ask questions. However, when she purposefully left something unexplained, she told the story a bit more boldly, making him follow along with the questions brewing in his mind.

“Long ago, a cataclysm happened that shook entire Mizahar. It was the war of Gods known as the Valterrian. Nobody knows exactly what happened, but we know that almost all records of pre-Valterrian times were lost, and even what we know about the times like founding of Lhavit is through some of the immortal beings living to tell the tale. Whatever happened, I suppose it was so grave that there was no time for recording history, and so destructive most of the old records were wiped out.”

“I don’t remember the Valterrian myself,”
she said, “although I must have lived through it, since I have better recollection of my two lives after it.” She didn’t know how familiar he was with Ethaefal, he might have been just polite not to point out her shiny skin or ornate green horns circling her ears, as he must have seen others of her kind around Lhavit. But she thought the comment would add intrigue if he didn’t know, and would be pretty casual in case he did. “But I know it must not have been easy for the people living around this parts. There was no settlement before Lhavit, and they found themselves lost and isolated by the mountains in all the chaos. You probably know yourself how difficult the mountains are to traverse, I assume you came by ship, but you’re still aware of how steep and dangerous they are, even now that we have roads and Okomo. People were lost, confused, and afraid.”

“That’s when Aysel and Talora came. They are of my kind, Ethaefal, one of Leth and one of Syna, and they were sent to help the poor people here.”
Mauriel smiled knowingly. “Sure paid off to the two lovers," she said referring to Syna and Leth, "look how devoted people are to them here to this day. But they definitely deserved it, saving them from almost certain death. It turned out that Zintila, the Goddess of Stars, fell during the Valterrian, sacrificing herself to save another Goddess. Aysel and Talora knew about her, and led people to the fallen lady of the stars. Caiyha, Godess of plants and animals, gifted them Okomo to help them traverse the steep mountains, that's why they're very important holy animals to those in Lhavit today. A lot of people back then were seemingly quite powerful, as the stories say there were many mages among them, some who could bend the elements to their will, and they used tremendous power to reshape these mountains to make a foundation for the city. The book says many of them pushed themselves to death to achieve it, that Zintila herself was moved by their devotion and the love for the fellow men. She granted people the power to shape the beautiful material the city was made of, as it was apparently something from the stars, and so they did. They made the platforms on the peaks, the giant bridges between them, the buildings. Apparently many of the structures were added on to generation after generation before they achieved the grandiosity they have today.”

“You might be aware that the trinity still rules Lhavit to this day. Aysel is the ruler by night, when Leth is strong, and Talora during the day, when Syna shines her light on us. Zintila herself still leaves among us and is a co-ruler of the city. You could have run into them already without realizing it.”

Mauriel was eager to get to know this man’s story, for he couldn’t be boring having come to Lhavit from another place. Perhaps she would find out about an interesting culture she didn’t know much about, or hear exciting adventures she could commemorate in a story or a song. But she was patient, letting the man take in all the knowledge and ask his own questions. She still had some more time for chit-chat and moonlit rest.

“I’m Mauriel, by the way. How impolite of me!” She offered her hand for a handshake, purposefully being graceful in a way that emphasized her celestial features, but ready for a rather firm, though unassuming handshake.

Last edited by Mauriel on September 10th, 2018, 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mauriel
Shining On

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Zach Grasswind on September 8th, 2018, 3:32 pm

Zach kept the smile on his face as the Ethaefal turned to him to respond. A barely perceptible nod was given at her comment, that Zach was new in the city was somewhat of an understatement. "Of course! I would not have guessed that you were new to it at all. I followed the story absolutely fine and I definitely understood what emotion you were going for." He paused for a brief tick and offered her another smile. "Your singing voice was very lovely."

He pulled his drink towards himself and shifted a little in his seat as he sensed the Ethaefal preparing to tell him a story. He listened carefully to what she had to say, for Zach had never really been one for history or myths, and now that he was here in this place that practically dripped with it he felt rather ignorant. He nodded slowly as she spoke of the Valterrian. That phrase he did recognise and understood to be an event that destroyed a lot of the world and the people on it.

When the Ethaefal spoke of past lives, Zach's brow rose and then furrowed in surprise. He knew very little of her kind, save for what they looked like as Lhavit seemed to be where most of them took up residence. He had seen one or two back in Endrykas, but he had never conversed properly with any before tonight. His ignorance of the world was far larger than the hunter had realised.

He let her continue speaking, choosing to save his questions for later, if at all. He had no idea if she would find it ruse of him to ask, but he would certainly not interrupt her now - that was definitely rude. A tiny smile quirked at the corner of his mouth and he gave her another nod - yes, he was well aware how steep these mountains were. Heights was something the Drykas was still getting acquainted with.

Zach listed attentively to the bulk of her story, eyes watching the Ethaefal woman's expressions as she spoke. A Goddess sacrificed herself for another? Zintila was one name he did know - The Goddess of Stars, and it made sense that Lhavit was her home now that he had seen it. Aysel and Talora he had also heard others speak of after arriving here, and now he knew that they were Ethaefal like the bard before him. He paused in his listening to consider the fact for a moment. If the pair were still among the denizens today, yet they had helped to build the city, the Ethaefal must be an incredibly long-lived race. And when the woman spoke of Lhavit's creation...

"You mean... the buildings are actually made from stars?" That would explain why they shimmered so beautifully. This place he had chosen was infinitely more fascinating to him now that he was learning more about it.
He smiled at her again when she offered him her hand, noting that even the way she moved seemed to hint that she was 'other'. Mauriel... He took her hand in his own, his rough hunters hand clasping her slender, pale fingers briefly. "Zach. And there was no impoliteness, it was me who neglected to introduce myself originally."

He let go of her hand and wondered on how to word his question to her, taking a sip of his drink to gain a brief moment. "I hope you will forgive my ignorance... but I am not familiar with, well, your kind." Zach inwardly berated himself, hoping that she would realise he was not intending to sound rude. He awkwardly cleared his throat before continuing. "You said that you have had previous lives? I'm assuming you don't mean simply moving elsewhere for a fresh start when you say that..." He trailed off, feeling ridiculous, the tiniest hint of colour rising in his cheeks. His eyes again drifted to rest on the curving green horns that adorned the woman's head, almost like an ethereal crown..

ooc :
I am SO sorry for holding up the thread. I hope I've given you enough to go on.
Zach Grasswind
What’s a tree?

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Mauriel on September 9th, 2018, 9:12 pm

The Ethaefal was a tad too pleased with the attentiveness of her interlocutor, though at the same time it had made her look down upon him slightly - for she surely couldn't respect one who found her poor attempts at entertainment worthy of praise and validation. She was too focused at maintaining her facade, however, to notice how contradictory her feelings were. She was there to entertain, and by Leth, she would.

Mauriel chuckled at the fascination the young man showed at the material of the buildings. She had no idea what skyglass actually was, as the book she read didn't go into such detail, but she was content in spurring the fantasy. If it were one, anyway, they were dealing with a Goddess here, anything was possible. "I know, I've been here for a few dozen days and the place doesn't cease to amaze me! It sure explains the sanctimonious beauty achieved."

She sipped her ale as he asked his question, nodding slightly to signify that she had not been insulted by it. The ale was a great excuse to give herself a moment to filter what she was willing to share. Information was always more interesting as a story, and a story needed a protagonist, yet she was unwilling to reveal anything too personal. She tried not to paint her qualm over her pristine face, but a careful observer could notice it in a slightly avoidant gaze and the prolonged pause.

"Lover gods of Moon and Sun, Leth and Syna, take chosen souls into their domains. I'm not entirely sure what a domain is, nor do I remember my time there, but I have faint glimpses of emotion and serenity. I was in Leth's domain." The thought caused a bittersweet smile. She may not remember what it looked like or how she spent her time there, but she knew that her soul was calm for centuries now, and that it was a gift she hardly deserved. "We fall out of their domains every now and then. I fell straight into the sea by The Port Tranquil! I don't know exactly why we fall back into the cycle of life and death, but we occasionally do. And while I don't remember much about any of my past lives, I have retained some knowledge and abilities, and very intensely remember all sorts of emotions I've experienced. Especially at night, when Leth is strong. When he is not, however, I lose some of my memories. Well, not really, I know what I know, but I can't remember it, it's like something I've heard from someone else. Along with that, I also lose this celestial form. This body is supposed to be a reflection of Leth's glory and fades as Syna takes over the sky, to be replaced by my last mortal form - an Akvatari woman." She offered no explanation of her other racial category either, hopefully enticing him to ask or wonder. Or perhaps he'll simply see if he stays by the morning. A large cut down the back of her dress could've been a hint enough, if he was aware of what Akvatari were. "Oh, and we're immortal. Not really, we can be killed or poisoned, but we don't age or get sick."

She leaned on the bar, crossing her legs, and turning a bit more to face Zach, as far as space and politeness allowed. "Would you care to share a bit about yourself too?" Mauriel asked. "As said, I don't remember too much of my past lives, and even what I do recall is outdated. A bard always cares for a good story, and if not that, I'm personally interested in various cultures." Most people liked talking about themselves, and while Zach's quiet, yet kind, politeness was pointing at a bit more of a withdrawn personality, the Ethaefal's curiosity was still getting the better of her.

Last edited by Mauriel on September 20th, 2018, 12:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mauriel
Shining On

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Zach Grasswind on September 19th, 2018, 8:14 pm

Mauriel was easy to talk to, and seemingly more than willing to share stories or information about herself with a relative stranger. Zach supposed that she was possibly just doing her job as an entertainer for the premises, but he had a sense that she would just as happily talk in a similar fashion elsewhere. After all, he had interrupted her break with his comment and she had no obligation to use her own time to speak to him at all.

Zach was not one for picking up on more subtle emotion or expression, and he missed the pause Ethaefal woman took to consider her answer more carefully. He was glad that she had not found his question to be too rude or intrusive, and gave her a small nod and another smile when she spoke again. The Drykas tilted his head slightly at mention of 'domains', a puzzled expression flitting across his face for a brief moment. Leth and Syna he did know of - how could one not when residing in Lhavit. It sounded almost as if she were speaking of the homes of the Gods themselves, a concept that was far too huge and mysterious for him to even consider understanding. Just for clarification though... "You mean, you lived in Leth's home?" It was a fascinating thought. "Are you sad to not remember it?" Zach caught himself and apologised, aware that he was not speaking casually with a friend. "Ah, I'm sorry if that's too personal, you don't have to answer." Lhavit was making the usually blunt hunter re-think his manners almost daily now.

Mauriel's next words mostly confused Zach, but he could understand that there was sense in them somewhere. From the sound of it the experience that she was explaining seemed to be confusing for the Ethaefal too. He let the silence grow for a short moment while he ran her words over in his mind, attempting to straighten them out a little. "...so is this what you actually look like? Not the.. Ak..Akvatari?" He had no idea what that was supposed to be, but the hunter didn't have any desire to further show his wordly ignorance to the celestial woman. He rubbed the hair at the nape of his neck again. "Sorry, personal questions again." He gave her a sheepish smile. "It's just not something that I've ever had to understand before!" Her final point boggled his mind completely. Surely everybody aged? That was the way of the world. "...it must be nice to not get sick though..." This last sentence was almost mumbled to himself.

He took a large gulp of his ale, hoping the drink would sort out his baffled brain a little. Bright blue eyes trained on the Ethaefal again as she now asked her own question of him. A smile flicked the corner of his mouth upwards. "Honestly, there isn't a lot to tell." He chuckled. "Cop-out answer I know. I come from a place called Endrykas, where the Drykas live." He paused to see if there was any recognition from her before continuing. "I think people call us the horse-clans. We travel the open plains in a huge tent city with the horses that live with us. Our city is divided into the 'clans' although we all look out for each other. "

Another sip of ale. "We look after the grasslands and in turn the lands look after us. Or them, I suppose now." A flicker of sorrow briefly ran behind Zach's eyes as he averted them from the woman's face and he cleared his throat. "I.. can't really call myself a Drykas anymore.." A sad smile crossed his mouth. "You can't be a Drykas without your Strider." It had been years now but he was still reeling with loss and it still occasionally showed. Zach was not the bright, charming Drykas he used to be. He drained his mug and flicked his gaze back to Mauriel. "If you're not familiar with the Drykas feel free to ask anything more specific than what I've already told you."
Zach Grasswind
What’s a tree?

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Mauriel on September 20th, 2018, 1:21 am

When asked about Leth's home, all she could muster was an apologetic shrug. She didn't bother explaining further, and there wasn't much to explain - she had no idea herself. "Most Ethaefal miss it."

When he inquired about her form, she smiled slightly. He really really had no respect for boundaries, but she kinda liked it. She could be impolitely curious herself, and when she wasn't she would mostly like to be anyway. "Akvatari are a kind of humanoid race from far, far, away," she explained, sensing his confusion in the muttering, "We have a seal tail and butterfly wings, making us good travelers in air and water, though not so much on the ground. And no, I don't feel like I truly am an Akvatari. Maybe I will a bit more over time, I don't know, but it's just one of many things I've previously been. I feel much more at home in this form."

She patiently waited for his entire explanation, a spark in her eyes the whole time. A traveling town? That sounded really exciting! "You move your entire town?" Bewilderment was obvious in her voice. "That's brilliant! Does it ever come here? What are the Drykas like, would they ever let me join to learn and travel for a bit?" She suddenly shut up, realizing that she's completely disregarded his mention of his Strider. Whatever that was, it seemed to make the man sad, as he averted his gaze and sought solace in another sip of alcohol. Her face dropped, and his offer to explain was way less exciting than it'd be mere moments ago, though she was still flirting with the idea of ignoring the personal for the sake of knowledge. "What's a Strider? Are those your horses?" She couldn't help a sense of comradery over lost home, despite being ultimately glad to be back among the living. "Are you okay? Sorry, I don't know much about the Drykas, but it seems to upset you."

As she said that, she saw Aleah waved for her to get back to work soon. She wouldn't interrupt her rudely while she was with a customer, but the crowd seemed to be growing tired and needed something to freshen the mood again. "Oh, I'm so sorry!" she said to her companion. "I have to get back to work. And a really bad moment at that." She met his gaze, sincerely apologetic, looking for a sign of insult in his eyes. After all, he somewhat opened up just to be disregarded. "It was nice meeting you, tho, Zach. I'd love to talk more sometime. Feel free to drop by when I'm working. I tend to do the night shift, even although I'm really tired after it because... Oh, have I mentioned that us of Leth feed on moonlight?" She flashed a smile. "Hope to see you around!" She picked up her lute, played one sharp note while still eying her interlocutor, before going back to take her spot in the middle of Scholar's Demise.

Mauriel
Shining On

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Zach Grasswind on September 20th, 2018, 9:30 pm

An eyebrow rose at Mauriel's description of her other form. A seal tail?! Zach had no idea what a seal was, but it didn't sound particularly elegant. Add the butterfly wings to that and it was a truly perplexing image. The hunter was not at all surprised she preferred her Ethaefal form for it was graceful and mysterious, and if he was being honest, quite beautiful to behold. Zach gave her a slightly sympathetic smile. It must be difficult to be thrown, literally by the sound of it, into a life and body you don't know.

He was pleasantly surprised to hear the excitement in her voice as she responded to his words about Endrykas. To him, the city was completely normal, absolutely nothing out of the ordinary. "The entire town, yep. It's not really that difficult, everyone lives in Pavilions, which are basically really, really big tents. We just take them down and put them back up again." He gave Mauriel another smile. "We don't come anywhere near Lhavit. We travel the grasslands in a circle that takes four seasons in total before it starts again. If you know Riverfall, Syliras or maybe Kenash then that's the sort of area where Endrykas is."

He chuckled lightly at the Ethaefal's enthusiasm. "Sure they'll let you travel with them. As long as you contribute to the Pavilion you stay with, you'll always be welcome."

Zach took a moment to clear his suddenly cloudy mind before he flicked his gaze back to Mauriel. He nodded once. "It's alright. Yes, Striders are our horses. Well, we have other breeds of horses, but to actually be a Drykas you must be chosen by a Strider." He gave the Ethaefal a sad smile and lightly shrugged a shoulder. "I can't really call myself a Drykas anymore."

He followed her gaze as Mauriel suddenly glanced over to someone, apparently her boss. Zach nodded and gave her a warm smile, wiping the lingering sadness off his face. "No carry on! I'm sorry for taking up your entire break." He watched her collect up her lute again, and then blinked as she threw another fact at him. ...feeds on...moonlight?! This woman was mind-boggling. Zach stared after her for a moment, meeting her backward gaze with a perplexed and slightly bemused expression of his own. He shook his head lightly and smiled to himself, holding his hand up to order another ale. He'd definitely have to come and converse with her again.
Zach Grasswind
What’s a tree?

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Mizahar Grader (1)

Next