Into the Deep

Savis Maren plunges into the grit of plotting with Edward Lucis

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

Into the Deep

Postby Savis Maren on September 27th, 2018, 2:02 am

23rd of Autumn, 518. 15th Bell.

Savis Maren felt very little guilt over her continued distance from Lucis and Lucis. She'd simply stopped showing up to work in the wake of her stressful Summer. When she'd begun her spasms, she'd believed her attempt worthwhile. Mute, difficult to move was one thing, but the Nuit drew the line when her senses began to wane. Towards the middle of the Summer she'd simply stopped going, later in the season it turned into an inability to do so. Savis, however, did not return for work as she paced through the city of Lhavit and towards the massive trio of buildings that made up the gadgeteering shop. The Nuit had other ideas, other ambitions and certainly, finding employment in a worthier place for her ambitions was her plan. However, Lucis offered her a place in the world, and that much wasn't forgotten by the Nuit. There was a letter of resignation in the Nuit's hand, likely unnecessary. For all she knew, the gadgeteer didn't even remember her, and perhaps it was best to keep the note out of hand until something was brought up.

Savis Maren passed through the door to Lucis and Lucis and immediately set towards the room she often encountered the Gadgeteer in her time working in the place. Edward Lucis was hard at work, clearly battling with ink on paper as he scribbled notes. It seemed as if he were designing a blueprint before moving forward with whatever structure of marvel he was commissioned to do. Savis Maren learned her lacking affinity for the craft of gadgeteering. While it seemed a marvelous complement to the Nuit's own animation, she lacked the patience for mathematics and the crafting of intensely intricate workings. The shaping of metal, the manipulation of gears. All of these things required finite movements that were difficult for her to carry out. Lacking the qualities that she felt benefitted such a practice, she'd much rather let the task fall to one who did. Savis Maren looked over the schematic, seeing numbers and letters enmeshed in a neat, but utterly foreign arrangement.

And people say Glyphing is complicated, she mused, retching at the thought of this sort of endeavor. It was when Savis clicked her tongue in frustration that Lucis at last rose up. Contrary to the Nuit's expression, the gadgeteer absolutely knew her. Changing bodies hardly mattered when the Nuit was unique to the city. Savis Maren, admittedly did not get around much, but she was the first to notice that all that dwelled within the Diamond of Kalea were living. Her kind were rare, but she'd known a few in her travels throughout the world. In Lhavit? She was alone.

Gods be damned if another Nuit was in the city. I'd likely receive the blame for all of their hijinx, she mused in the moments before Lucis addressed her.

"Savis? I thought you'd left the city. What happened to you?" he asked, quite alarmed to see the undead. Savis Maren wondered if her former employer would remember her, but clearly one did not forget the damned. She chuckled softly, exasperation present in the movement as she answered.

"The same, mysterious thing that destroyed my voice came back for my sight and limbs," answered, clearly not wanting to discuss the matter. Savis Maren did not sleep, or eat, there was nothing to distract her from the memory of the black void that was blindness. Constantly, when she was alone and unfocused, she was haunted by the feeling of parasites gnawing at her rotted flesh. It wasn't painful, but it was vivid for a sense that very little was felt at all.

"Ah," he muttered, his expression stern as he thought on. "I suppose it'd be impossible for you to notify me. I'd offer you your job back, but we filled the position in your time... rotting," he said candidly. Savis Maren took no offense, finding the fact of it far easier. She offered a chuckle, placing the letter on the table beside Lucis before she added,

"Read through it, if you want. It was going to be my resignation. It's no longer necessary, it seems," she said, laughter parting her lips before she continued on. "Well, good. I came here for more than just a lively chat, my friend," she told the older man. Edward Lucis was easy to respect. For one, he was in her eyes hideous. Age disgusted the Nuit, and though she was older than Lucis, she always strived to look younger. Even in death, she considered herself more beautiful than he.

"Oh? What do you have for me this time?" he asked, setting aside his schematic and offering the Nuit a seat. While Savis Maren did not understand the basics of engineering, her knowledge of the human body, paired with her needs as an Animator, provided her enough of an insight to join him at the drawing table.
Savis Maren
Only a little bit dead

Words: 399286
Joined roleplay: July 8th, 2018, 11:49 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) 2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Into the Deep

Postby Savis Maren on October 3rd, 2018, 1:33 pm

Pleasure coursed through the senses of Savis Maren as she listened to the utterance from Edward Lucis. It wasn't uncommon for the Gadgeteer to consult with his patrons. Rather, it was very common indeed. However, the idea of this man at her service compelled the pleasure to cast throughout her. The Nuit paused a moment, relishing the way that Edward Lucis phrased his question before she considered it in full. The musings were short as her silver eyes studied the inquisitive eyes of her gadgeteer companion. The Nuit reached, plucking Lucis' quill from the countertop before dipping it into his inkwell. Ink carried along the margin of her page, imbibing notes on the sheet as she spoke aloud,

"My intention is to create a convincing replica of the structure of the human arm. I find, in this unlife of mine, that I often need a helping hand in such things. A thin, metallic frame could form the structure of the arm, but to replicate musculature and function is something I require assistance with..."

Savis felt a tinge of regret in making the admission. Pride was the Nuit's vice, entwined so very deeply with the vanity imprinted upon her soul. The Nuit trained her unblinking gaze on Edward Lucis. Immediately, the gadgeteer began to imbibe his own notes on the page. Rather than writing, however, he began to form a sketch. As she requested, a metal beam served as the 'bone' within the arm. As he drew, Savis mused aloud,

"The arm has three main bones in it? With many more in the hand?" The Nuit seemed somewhat ignorant, but fortunately for her, Edward Lucis possessed an abundance of experience. He shook his head, looking to the Nuit with a semblance of mirth in his eyes,

"You shift bodies, but you can't answer that right? The arm has sixty-eight bones from shoulder to hand. I'm assuming you want a similar structure?"

"Yes, though I'd rather the structure be lithe. Collapsible, even. This tool isn't one I wish to make noticeable, Mr. Lucis."

The gadgeteer nodded in understanding and continued his revisions on the design he was crafting. Savis Maren read his notes, and though much of it was incomprehensible mathematics, the notes he placed on each equation caught her eye.

Metal wire woven into circular metal 'joints'. Power source? The gadgeteer raised his head, eyebrows arched as he asked, "You don't need any sort of propulsion to it, do you?" he wondered. It seemed that Lucis was far more used to dealing with the gadgeteering needs of the city. Animations worked on a different principle. Djed served as the power source, with indications and directives written into the coded 'brain' that the circles imposed within. Animation was beyond the minds of many, and she felt a laugh welling within her throat. She shook her head, disguising her amusement as she deigned mercy. She'd not humiliate the gadgeteer,

"That will be my responsibility, sir," she answered simply. He nodded and continued on with his notetaking. The Nuit studied his notes carefully, and once he completed his next thought, he returned his sights to the Animator.

"So this sort of gadget is going to run a bit more, unfortunately. It requires a good amount of parts and there are some interesting mechanics at play. I'll charge you 70 kina," he began. Savis Maren nodded at the price, waving her hand before she added.

"Please, Mr. Lucis, that's hardly the concern. In fact, for 75, could you have it brought to my room in the Solar Wind Apartments?"

"Absolutely." The Nuit offered her thanks before she added one final thing to her request.

"Also, could you transcribe a second copy of the blueprint in the proper paper, sir? I'd like to study it when I have a chance. I can offer an additional five kina to pay for the materials," she assured him.

"Sure. I'll have that for you tomorrow, Savis," he added.

The Nuit offered the gadgeteer a wide smile before she pulled eighty kina from her backpack. Once the proper amount was laid, she rose to her feet and made her way out of Lucis and Lucis. A skip in her step, born from her anticipation, Savis relished in the possibilities that lay ahead.

Ledger :
-80 kina
Savis Maren
Only a little bit dead

Words: 399286
Joined roleplay: July 8th, 2018, 11:49 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) 2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Into the Deep

Postby Madeira Dusk on October 26th, 2018, 7:19 pm

Grades Awarded!

Don't forget to edit/delete your grade request!

Savis Maren

Skills
  • Observation: 2xp
  • Socialization: 1xp
  • Planning: 1xp
  • Rhetoric: 1xp
  • Leadership: 1xp
  • Negotiation: 1xp

Lores
  • Gadgeteering: Ill befitting a Nuit
  • Savis: unique to Lhavit
  • Edward Lucis: recognizes Savis in a new body
  • Lore of the anatomy of the human arm
  • Lore of the difference between animation and gadgeteering
  • Gadgeteering: movement requires power source

Awards & Retribution
+Gadget Arm: a design by Edward Lucis, a replica of the human arm. includes schematic.
-70 Kina: for gadget arm
-5 Kina: for delivery
-5 Kina: for schematics

Notes
Since Sav was not working the skill and Lucis didn't give her any instruction, I can't give you a gadgeteering point. I hope the lores make up for it! Its a good, snappy thread. I like seeing the savvy business side of Sav.
Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Words: 1599220
Joined roleplay: October 11th, 2016, 7:45 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (3)
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) Lhavit Seasonal Challenge (1)
2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)