Closed [Aquillar Hot Springs] Let the Waters Flow (Tove)

Kailani decides to take in some of the luxuries Sunberth has to offer.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

[Aquillar Hot Springs] Let the Waters Flow (Tove)

Postby Kailani on September 24th, 2018, 4:00 am

21, Autumn, 518

Golden braids wrapped Kailani’s head like an intricate halo as she entered the quaint little establishment, oceanic eyes curiously taking in her surroundings. Had the woman ever been to a real bathhouse? So accustomed she was to bathing in the sea, what need had she ever had for such an indulgence? But then again, the ocean was cold. The Aquillar Hot Springs were not. And the lively Svefra always embraced new experiences.

“Welcome, welcome!” a friendly voice called through an open doorway, an older woman making herself known with a smile. “Come in, please, make yourself at home! I can’t say you look familiar, child, though I’ll admit my memory’s not what it used to be. I apologize if we’ve met before, and if we have not, then it’s a pleasure!” Her smile was positively infectious, an answering grin spreading over Kailani’s face as she walked further inside. “The name’s Natlana, and you are…?”

“Kailani,” the seafarer answered warmly, extending her hand in greeting. “And don’t worry, this is our first meeting. The pleasure is all mine!” Her eyes sparkled as she winked, pressing Natlana’s hand before letting it drop to her side. She cast an admiring look around the room before coming back to rest on Natlana. “I’ve heard good things about the Aquillar Hot Springs, and wanted to come visit them for myself. A hot bath…imagine that!”

Natlana’s laughter rang through the room again as she turned a kindly eye on the young Svefra woman, folding her hands in front of her. “Well, I assure you, you won’t be disappointed.” She gestured back toward the rest of the facility as she explained the options, “There’s a couple private bathing rooms and then the larger common bathing area, which is a little less expensive. If you’re not shy, perhaps you’d like to start there…though if you’re more the modest type, it might be worth it to throw in a little extra money for the privacy.”

Kailani smiled, shaking her head. Growing up in close quarters aboard a ship didn’t exactly incline one toward a modest disposition. She was hardly shy about nudity, and the sailor valued her money a little more than she valued her ladylike virtue. Dropping five copper mizas on the counter in front of Natlana, she said, “I think the common bath area will work fine for now. Thank you. Which way should I go?”

Collecting her new customer’s money, Natlana returned her smile and gestured off to her right. “First one down on the left. There are towels on the bench inside. Just holler if you need anything!” Before turning away, she added, “Oh, and mind the turtles!” Kailani’s brow lifted at that, but she made no comment, nodding politely before heading off in the direction the older woman had indicated.

She didn’t get very far before she saw the two reptiles she assumed Natlana had been speaking of, the two creatures swimming up to the surface as if to say hello. A broad smile split her face as she approached, kneeling down in front of the little pool. “Well, hello to you, too,” she said with a laugh, tentatively reaching out to gently stroke the top of the first one’s head. Even she, who held such an affinity for creatures of the sea, was surprised at how tame the animals were, the turtle practically nuzzling into her touch. They must be used to visitors. With a grin and a wiggle of her fingers, she rose back to her feet and started heading back in her original direction-grabbing a towel as she entered the communal room.

The bath was large and spacious, only two other patrons inside. Offering each of them a polite nod, she scoped out her own corner, walking over to the empty niche and turning her back to remove her clothing. She was not ashamed of her form, not in the least, but it seemed the polite action to take. Folding her shirt and pants and setting them to the side, she slid into the heated pool, a blissful sigh escaping her lips as the warm water caressed her skin. “What a delight,” she murmured as she situated herself into a position of greater comfort, leaning her head back against the rim of the pool. “I can see now why people would pay for this.” Everyone needed to relax, it seemed-even the anarchists of Sunberth.

She lounged for several long minutes, letting her body start to gently float. Slowly, tense muscles began to relax, her brain soon following suit. Her thoughts turned to more of a daze as they started to lengthen and separate, the warmth and gentle caress of the water slowly and surely lulling her into a light sleep.

WC: 813

Ledger :
-5 copper mizas

Last edited by Kailani on September 30th, 2018, 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kailani
Daughter of the Sea

Words: 176158
Joined roleplay: September 16th, 2018, 5:16 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Tove on September 26th, 2018, 1:34 am

'One, two, three, four, five- One, two, three, four...'

Get to five. Start over. Then repeat. It was a pattern, one Tove had been contributing to whilst she walked up the trail to the hot springs, her boots mud ridden from the trip. There wasn't a thing to do during her walk outside the 'walls' of the city. No hunting, no conversation, no pretty men or women to gaze at, absolutely nothing. So she counted. Why to five? It was an easy number. Simple too- unlike two's and four's. Fifteen steps away, that was how far the doors were, just a mere fifteen steps and she would be forced to gaze upon the very woman she had sworn to spy on.

The pleasant ring of bells made way to the Kelvic's ears as she eased the door open.

'Maybe you're in the wrong place?...No there is a sign silly, don't worry about it.' Impossible, worrying seemed to be all the Kelvic could do after the attack at the dock. The bruises and scabbed over cuts were the not so pleasant reminders that she could easily be bested.

"Hello dear girl, welcome!" The sweetness of the voice caused Tove's brow to raise, never had she heard such a polite coo. It belonged to a quant olf woman, her smile warm and welcoming, more so than even the baths she watched over alongside her husband. "You may call me Natlana, and you are..."

'Natlana', the name was a pleasant one. One not involved with the Brotherhood of chains- it was her favorite name. Why did Goldfinger want information on such a (seemingly), sweet old lady? Tove imagined many different scenarios all whilst looking dumbfounded in front of the sweet owner of the springs.

"Oh- yes, I'm uh...I'm Tove." The words were choked, Tove realizing how strange she may have looked in the time it took her brain to remember that she was not alone. Natlana laughed, her eyes bright as she walked over to her desk.

"I don't know, is it?" Natlana's grin grew larger, a playful light danced behind her eyes as she jested. It flew over poor Tove's head, her confused expression only causing the older woman's grin to grow. "Sorry dear, sometimes my humor gets the best of me. You sounded confused as if it was a question...I'm not so old as to think my jokes are humorous when there is a need to explain them."

"Heh- that's uh, that's funny!" Tove grinned, though it was rather unconvincing. Natlana shook her head with a sweet grin, leaning upon the counters as the two spoke.

"Well Tove, as much as it warms my old heart that the youth still find conversations with me interesting- but I'm guessing you're not here to warm an old maids heart." Natlana grinned, giving the Kelvic a quick briefing of the establishment. Naturally, Tove decided to go with the cheapest of options- nudity had never been an issue for the Kelvic unlike some of the humans she had encountered in the year of her life.

"I'll go with the cheapest of options I suppose." She grinned, dropping her coin within Natlana's wrinkled hands before turning a heel and making her way into the common bath.

"Don't mind the turtles by the way- they're the friendliest little things, but they're always lookin' for a bite to eat from the visitors. I swear if turtles could be obese..." Natlana called as Tove grabbed a small heated towel.

Turtles. Tove adored turtles. They weren't the brightest or the most useful of creatures, but Gods be damned if they weren't the cutest ugly things she had ever laid her eyes upon. So, when a turtle approached her much like a dog would somebody with a less feline aura about them, Tove couldn't help but lean down and grin.

Tove allowed her eyes to graze over the pool, her gaze never lingering on the patrons for too long. Despite her own opinions of nudity, Tove fully understood that lingering eyes could cause embarrassment to arise. She too would be embarrassed if one gazed upon her body for a moment too long as that suggests attraction or disgust of sorts.

Tove undressed away from the pool before allowing herself to sink into its warm waters. It was a much-needed escape from the dangers of Sunberth, the heat melting away her worries.
Ledger :
-5 copper Miza
Last edited by Tove on October 2nd, 2018, 12:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

~All credit for box-codes and signature goes to Luminescence
Tove
Criminally Bored

Words: 101169
Joined roleplay: June 4th, 2018, 9:29 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Kailani on September 27th, 2018, 4:43 am

Water caressed every inch of Kailani's body as she danced through the waves, surfacing every few moments to grab a few lungfuls of air. A beautiful spotted ray swam by her side, his fins undulating in an enchanting figure eight that never failed to capture her amazement. Her tavan, Marikosh, was such a beautiful animal, and the times she spent with him among the currents were some of the happiest moments of her life. He was a simple creature, free of the complicated stresses and worries of human life. When she swam with Marikosh, she could let it all melt away and revert to a more primal form, one that didn’t have to be quite human either. A silent laugh bubbled from her lips as he swam across her back, looping under her body before separating from her again. He sprang forward with a great burst of speed, then stopped and turned back as if daring her to chase him. She was only too eager to take the bait.

When she looked to her other side, there was a beautiful man beside her, one that definitely
didn’t look like Azcan. Long hair flowed behind him in an auburn wave, bearded face smiling just for her. She felt an answering smile pull at her own lips as she reached for his hand, their bodies moving in smooth counter rhythm to the ray’s fins. Each nodding to the other, they set off after the ray, a playful game of tag that the two humans were destined to lose. In that moment, the Svefra was whole and content, lost at sea with all she ever needed. But some things were just too perfect to be real…

Several chimes had passed by the time Kailani opened her eyes, arms lifting above her head in a slow, luxurious stretch. The effects of the dream were fading fast, but that warm glow of contentment had carried over into her waking world. Who would’ve thought that a simple bath could be so soothing, so therapeutic? The sandy-haired seafarer could hardly remember the last time she’d been so relaxed, and this was just from a simple warm pool of water. “I’ll definitely be back,” she muttered under her breath as she took another look around. “It was worth it for the nap alone.”

The large bath was even emptier now than when she’d fallen asleep-the two patrons from before replaced by a lanky, curly-headed girl who could be no more than twenty. She wasn’t particularly striking, but there was still something about her that drew the attention, and the Svefra found herself intrigued. Kai made no attempt to hide the frank curiosity in her gaze as she looked over at her new companion, deep blue eyes sparkling with a friendly light. “Hello!” she called out sweetly to catch the girl’s attention, raising her hand in greeting and giving a brief wave of her fingers. “Forgive me for intruding and feel absolutely free to tell me to leave you alone, but I find myself rather lacking in friendly female company these days.” The smile she offered the newcomer was open and charming, her high-boned face winsome as she turned to face the other more fully. “Or really, friendly company at all. Sunberth isn’t exactly the most…hospitable city.” Such words were an understatement; the city was downright dangerous. Of course, she had no way of knowing whether this woman was very hospitable herself, but at the very least, she didn’t look intimidating. That was a start.

“I’m Kailani, and if it wasn’t already painfully obvious by my inane babbling, I haven’t been here long.” Another smile flashed across her face, a dimple forming in the middle of her cheek. Kailani had never been shy, especially growing up in such a boisterous clan. She wasn’t about to start now. “Got a name, lovely girl?”

Kailani
Daughter of the Sea

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Tove on September 29th, 2018, 1:01 am

Tove allowed her head to drop back, strikingly pale eyes locked on the world above her. Steam danced about the room wrapping itself around each and every nook and cranny of the building - dancing about the air in elegant whisps. The Kelvic's brow furrowed, how was it that something so unremarkable could seem so majestic? Then she began to wonder what the point of steam was, why the gods created such strange things. For what? What purpose did it serve other than looking pretty?

'I wonder if Lucille would know about such a thing...' The girl wondered- then wondered some more. Lucille always knew the answers to such things. Even if she kept such answers hidden away. As time passed, Tove felt more and more ignorant to the way of man and Gods, every time she felt as if she had a grasp on what was before her a new curious thing would arise.

The springs spoke in hums. Soft vibrations running through the Kelvic's mind as she allowed herself to float. Floating soon turned into full submersion, Tove allowing her body to fully sink into the warm waters, eyes still locked on what remained above, distorted by the warmth of the water.

~ The water was cold against the child's fevered flesh, dirty blond curls floating overhead. Her eyes locked on the flickering light of the candles until she was violently pulled upward, her body too weak to do it herself.

"Leave it to me to buy the useless slaves." Lucille snapped, a pipe hanging from between her teeth as she wrang the water out of a small cloth. "Always a petchin' sap, I was. Feelin' all sad for the pathetic ones, tha's me all right." A cloud of smoke escaped the elder's lips as she wrapped her aged and shaky fingers around the girl's soft curls.

"Ouch-" The young Tove started, only to be cut off by a sharp whack upon her arm.

"Ya keep cryin' and I'll give ya somethin' to cry about." The woman snapped, separating the thicks curls along the Kelvic's head. "Now hold still or I'll have to start all over." ~

Tove ran her fingers through -now even thicker- hair, her eyes shutting for a tick or so as she shifted a bit too shifty for her still bruised and cut up body.

The black and blue patched along her flesh appeared to be quite grotesque upon her pale flesh. It had been two days since the attack, some would say the girl was pushing herself too much. Of course, Tove would disagree, there was no such thing as resting in the Berth. Even her trip to the spring was not out of mere luxury, no, she needed information on Natlana. Tove ran her thumb over the deep cut along her cheekbone, eyes watering ever so slightly as the minerals along her fingertips irritated the wound.

“Hello!”

Tove jumped, the voice being quite sudden and loud compared to the soft hum Tove had been listening to. The jerk caused Tove to wince, her ribcage still quite sensitive to random jerks and sharp movements. The Kelvic turned to face the woman, eyes locked on the grin that spread across her face.

Tove felt her face heat up, not only due to the woman's undeniable beauty- which was exotic in its own way- but also the embarrassment of having jumped out of her own flesh upon hearing the husky voice of the woman calling out to her.

"I- ugh...it's perfectly fine, just startled me is all." A sweet grin spread across Tove's features as she listened to the woman speak, her voice the kind that drew one into a conversation.

Inhospitable. Such a strange way of describing Sunberth. The city had potential to be something great, but it only took so long for 'freedom' to become its own form of slavery...if one could call being underneath the thumb of numerous gangs freedom.

'Kailani', such a pretty name. It suited the woman quite well. Tove wondered if her name suited her, simplistic and short, hardly anything special. Maybe her name before captivity had been pretty and captivating, though that no longer mattered.

The word lovely caught Tove off guard. Was she lovely? Never had she considered herself to be ugly but lovely seemed a bit far-fetched in her eyes...of course, she was completely aware that pretty was relative. Anyone had the ability to be beautiful to someone, perhaps Tove could be beautiful to someone? Tove could most definitely be considered very pretty when cleaned up, but such knowledge skipped her. It mattered not, faces were not all that important as long as the body was strong.

"Oh, my name is Tove. Nice to meet you." The cat stumbled over her words, eyes locked on the intricate braids that wrapped around the woman's head. "I like your hair...did you do that yourself?"

If Kailani answered Tove would smile and nod, though this would be completely up to her. Natlana made her way in, a strange grace about her as she carried a few beverages. Tove watched the woman closely, having not yet forgotten why she had gone to the springs in the first place.

"So...are you from Sunberth?" Tove tried to make small talk but her shy nature left it sounding somewhat...choked up.
Last edited by Tove on October 2nd, 2018, 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tove
Criminally Bored

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Kailani on September 30th, 2018, 12:31 am

Kailani hid a smile behind her hand as the girl jumped. She hadn’t meant to scare her! The Svefra tactfully chose not to remark upon it, continuing on as if nothing had happened. “It’s a pleasure to meet you, Tove,” she replied warmly, the unusual name leaving an odd, yet pleasant, taste on her tongue. At the remark on her hair, Kai smiled again, reaching up to pat her braids. She wore them so often that she hardly even thought of how they appeared to others. “Thank you,” she replied with a wink, quickly and deftly pulling the pins that held them in place. “I did do this myself, but it’s not as much work as you’d think. I only wash my hair every odd week or so, so I only have to style it every so often.”

A grin flitted across her face as she started to undo the plaits, gently setting aside the bits of bone and seashell that were woven in. “But thank you for reminding me!” she added with a laugh, the sound as sweet as waves hitting the shore. “I almost forgot I needed to do that today.” Her braids were unwoven in short order, the long, unbound tresses falling around her like a waterfall. Propping herself on the ledge of the pool, she reached for her pack and pulled out the comb and bar of soap. She looked back at Tove as she patiently began the process of combing the tangles from her hair.

Shaking her head at the girl’s inquiry, Kailani replied, “No, I’m not from Sunberth, though I’ve been here a few times before.” Her eyes briefly tracked Natlana’s progress as she walked inside with a tray of drinks before turning her attention back to Tove. “I’m not really ‘from’ anywhere. Not any country or city, anyhow.” The corner of her lips tilted back up into a smile as she set the comb aside and slipped back into the water. “I was born on a ship called The Wayward Tabernacle in the southern Suvan Sea. The ocean birthed me, dear Tove, and her waves are the only place I will ever call home.” Her smile turned more wistful at that, her tone tinged with a touch of homesickness. Aye, the ocean was her home, but even more so was her pod. She missed the Crestwidows with a fierceness she hadn’t even known she was capable of, and she was starting to feel the effects of the separation. Making an attempt to hide the emotions that would surely manifest on her face, she dunked her head back under the water to wet her golden strands.

Emerging from the pool with a gasp, she grabbed her soap from the ledge and lathered it between her hands. Carefully running the suds through her hair, she looked up as Natlana approached. “Good evening, ladies,” the amiable old lady greeted them. “I hope you’re enjoying your bath. Care for any refreshments? Perhaps a glass of redberry juice? It’s rather popular with our visitors.” Just as before, the smile she offered them was positively infectious, Kailani feeling an answering smile spread over her own lips.

“I’ll take a glass of that, thank you,” the Svefra replied before looking at Tove. “What about you, love? My treat.” Her eyes sparkled as she gazed at her pale-eyed companion, waiting for the girl to either confirm or deny before rinsing her soapy hands and accepting her own. She took a few sips of the sweet and tart beverage before setting it down and dunking her head again.

When she re-emerged, she looked around to make sure Natlana had moved away from them before turning to her new acquaintance once more. Resuming their earlier conversation, Kai asked, “And you? What’s your story, Tove?” She sidled a little closer as she waited for her answer, lifting her hair from the water and gently wringing it out.

Judging from the bruises and cuts that marred Tove’s pale flesh, Kailani could only guess it wasn’t the happiest one. Though, she supposed bruises were a rather regular occurrence in a city like Sunberth; she had a few fading ones around her ribs and back from her own altercation days before. What is it that keeps people here? she idly wondered, though she knew the answer to her own question, and she couldn’t deny its appeal. The very lawlessness and violence of the city was a draw in and of itself-a perfect place for those who preferred to live a life on the wilder side, those who preferred to exist by their own rules. Kailani understood that urge all too well, though she had no intention to stay here with any sort of permanence. As soon as she located her pod, she would be back on the seas, and this little excursion could fade to the back of her mind like the footnote it was destined to be. When she’d first arrived in port, it had been with at least a small sense of excitement. But after her encounter with Azcan…she was more than soured on the whole experience. The sooner I’m rid of this place, the better.

Ledger :
- 2 copper mizas

Last edited by Kailani on October 4th, 2018, 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kailani
Daughter of the Sea

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Tove on October 3rd, 2018, 12:35 am

Kailani and Tove shared a similar build, though that seemed to be where their physical similarities ended. There were so many different types of faces in Sunberth, some pretty and some not, but none had looked quite like the woman that sat before the Kelvic. Tanned flesh untouched by age, long blonde locks wild in their own right- though Kailani seemed to have a firmer grasp on how to handle her mane when compared to Tove- the ink upon her skin. It all left the bitter taste of jealousy within her mouth.

“They’re very pretty…the color too.” Tove shifted her gaze around the pool, watching as two women giggled as a poor fool attempted to flirt. It was a decent enough distraction from the beautiful woman who sat before her. “I tried to braid my own hair not too long ago but sadly they didn’t keep their shape for long...” Tove watched as Kailani's fingers skillfully unraveled the many intricate braids that adorned her head, occasionally plucking out small bits of bone a shell.

’Oh my, she may need to wash her hair more often, it must be quite dirty if she had numerous bones her hair….unless she put it there purposely?’ Such a strange human, putting bones and shell in her hair. It was pretty, but Tove hardly understood the practicality of adorning one's head in dead animals and pretty shells, the same applied for the elaborate cosmetics some applied to their faces, or the paints used to hide the natural coloring of one's nails. Beautiful, but seemingly useless.

Tove wrapped her arms around her legs as she listened to the Svefra speak of her home or lack thereof. How lovely it was, to watch someone reminisce over something they hold so close to their heart. It was then clear that Kailani was not a mere sailor, she *was* the embodiment of the sea in the form of a woman. Lucille often spoke of the blue-eyed seafarers that were Laviku's chosen, the allure that surrounded them. Kailani was hardly an exception, the smile that formed upon her lips seemingly effortlessly. The, 'I've never met a stranger.' vibe that laced her each and every word. It was compelling and all Tove wanted was to understand it. Understand her.

The subtle shift of Kailani's whimsical features had not gone unnoticed. How many family members had she left behind to come to such a wretched city? How horrible it must have been, to go from a carefree life at sea to the less carefree one of Sunberth.

Tove was thankful for Natlana's sudden appearance, especially since she needed to keep an eye on the elder. She had not done a single suspicious...other than her comment about the way Tove had spoken her name that was. Unlike Kailani- Tove was less happy to reciprocate the sweet grin that spread across Natlana's features with such ease. Goldfinger was interested in the elder for a reason, and thus Tove was rather suspicious of the woman.

Pale eyes widened as the offer to pay for her drink met Tove's ears. It was kind- too kind perhaps. "I...no thank you. I could not ask you to buy a drink for me, especially when I'm not parched in the slightest. A lovely offer though." Tove offered both Kailani and Natlana a sweet grin before anxiously allowing herself to sink deeper into the warm waters of the springs.

A question about herself? Tove never liked to answer such inquiries- especially when in the company of those far more interesting than herself. Kailani surely had more stories than herself, ones of sea and revelry. Tove's story was nothing when compared the Svefra's, especially when it came down to the length.

"Not much of a tale to tell I suppose. I was born here as far as I know- and so I'm still here." Tove paused, her fingers wrapping around the aged chain of her necklace, "The woman who took me in had lots of stories so you would think I would have some as well, but sadly I do not. I uh...recently got myself into trouble with some shifty types, but for the most part, my life here is rather boring."

The intrigue was not what kept the young Kelvic in Sunberth, it was the lack of coin. Most of those with no gang ties or nefarious dreams would say the same- and sadly the only ones with the right amount of coin were the ones that had no intention of leaving. To some extent, Tove had learned to love the rambunctious nature of the city, though ever since the attack she lacked the motivation to spy on the whims of those not included in Goldfinger's list of names.

The sweet flirtatious giggles of the women caught Tove's attention once more, her eyes occasionally skimming over their bodies as they ran their hands over their curves as if to tease the man who oh-so-desperately longed for their attention.

"Um..." Her eyes locked on the women for a moment as she desperately tried to pull her attention back to the beautiful Svefra. "I've never been to the springs, but this weather called for a bath. It's quite the shift from the warmth of Summer, and it never seems to end." Tove paused as she released her legs, reaching up to grab her own soap. Sadly it lacked the sweet scent of most soaps- but it did the trick when it came down to making the Kelvic feel clean. "Sorry, I'm not much for conjuring up an interesting conversation." She half-jested, truthfully, Tove was not good at conjuring up any type of conversation at all. She could speak relatively easy, but coming up with what to say was never her forte.

"You say you call the sea home, does that mean you live on a boat of sorts? I've never been on a boat, but I've seen plenty from the docking area at the Bay. Sailors seem to dislike it when a random girl snoops around their boat from my experience." Tove grinned as she turned to face the seafarer, she would know far more of rambunctious sailors than Tove. "I like to listen to it, the ocean I mean."

Tove
Criminally Bored

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Kailani on October 7th, 2018, 8:46 pm

Kailani couldn’t help but feel there was more to Tove’s story than she let on, but she understood the need for secrecy. If she didn’t wish to share, that was her decision, and the Svefra would not push her, especially not on their first meeting. The woman that took her in? She only thinks she was born here? It was an oddity to her not to know the story of one’s own origins; Kailani knew well from where she’d come, and had heard the story of her own conception on more than one drunken night. To think of someone who knew nothing of how they’d come to be was such a foreign concept to someone raised the way she was, and one she fought hard to understand. How can she not know where she came from?

Perhaps she’s a slave, she answered her own question as her eyes raked quickly over Tove’s bony form. Or she used to be. This is Sunberth, after all. It wouldn’t be that far-fetched. She chose again to say nothing before her own attention was caught by the small group on the other side of the bath who’d entered not so long ago. Her smile was indulgent as she watched the give and take between the man and women, their teasing giggles and caresses putting her in mind of some of her more carefree moments aboard The Wayward Tabernacle. Teasing the boys, Azcan among them, until they were practically panting, then leaving them high and dry as she went on her own way. Those were simpler times and ones she wanted desperately to return to, wishing she could turn back the tides of her own life to before the cursed raid that had prompted her ever leaving those times in the first place. Foolish, always so foolish, she berated herself before dragging her attention away from the others and back to Tove. She cleared such thoughts from her mind as she sighed and leaned back in the warmed waters. Time enough to feel sorry for yourself later.

The Svefra focused on Tove’s questions instead, feeling an answering grin pull at her own lips. Yes, she understood well the rambunctious nature of sailors, since she counted herself so firmly among them. There wouldn’t be many who would take well to a stranger coming aboard their ship and traipsing about, and she could only imagine the sort of fury the girl had faced. “I live aboard a ship, aye,” she replied, a twinkle at last returning to her azure eye. “Her name is The Sunset Tide, and while she’s nothing much to gawk at, she’s pulled me through some hard times. A simple casinor only, but a sturdy one.” Her golden head tilted to the side as she contemplated the crystal-eyed girl next to her, that wistfulness in her face one she could relate to well. An adventurous spirit and a curious heart, traits shared between them that struck home with the sandy-haired seafarer.

Seeing that longing on Tove’s face softened Kailani’s heart as she offered, “I’d be happy to take you onboard, if you’d like. I can even give you a ride back to wherever you’re staying, if you need to cross the river.” A smile flashed over the woman’s high-boned features, a dimple forming in her cheek as she continued, “It’s my job now, after all, at least while I’m still here.” Laughing, she winked as she added, “But, since I offered, I’d be happy to take you for free.”

It seemed a bold offer to give a stranger in a bathhouse, but Kailani had generally been a good judge of character; she sensed no ill will coming from Tove, not toward her. Besides, even if it came to it, the Svefra was fairly certain she could take the other in a fight. So, where was the harm? Besides, she could still refuse-it wasn’t as if the girl had any reason to trust her.

“So, what do you say?” Kailani asked, her tone perhaps a little more hopeful than she intended. Alone in Sunberth without a familiar soul besides her erstwhile drummer, she needed friends more than she realized. If she was stuck here, she needed to forge ties to keep her head above water. Why not the shy and altogether mysterious curly-haired girl from the hot springs? She found herself more and more curious about the other, eager to try her hand at unwinding the tales the girl wouldn’t tell. “I promise I won’t bite.”

Kailani
Daughter of the Sea

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)