PM to join New Arrival at the Dock (Kurin)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

New Arrival at the Dock (Kurin)

Postby Vasin on January 6th, 2019, 4:05 pm

Timestamp: 38th of Winter, 518 A.V.

The bearded man known as Vasin sat at the docks, at his usual spot a sight that by now many dock workers had come to be used to. An unimportant piece of scenery, as Vasin did not go out of his way to make trouble here. He oddly enough would either sit there and stare out into the ocean, or even pop open a book strangely enough. Some days he was here, some days he wasn't, and Vasin didn't mind the occasional stare he got. It was to be expected here in Sunberth, everyone was suspicious, and no one who lived long enough stayed off their toes for long. A lesson many newcomers usually had to learn the hard way. People here had a reason to be suspicious and paranoid of others after all, because in Sunberth you were either predator or prey. Vasin proffered to be a predator himself, and not everyone he set his eyes on was destined to be his friend. But it paid to have friends in this city, so it was a delicate balance. Regardless, for now, he was here trying to relax and watch the waves. He found the push and pull to be oddly hypnotic and the view was nice. Who knew what was over that horizon after all, and that map he had found had been little help in determining that. It wasn't concrete enough.

Sometimes found himself at the other end of town staring into the distance at the forest. Heck, he had mustered up the courage not long ago to head on out there, to the very edge and then to bellow. But still, the story of the book he had been reading really captivated his imagination. A whole world beyond Sunberth and he had not even seen but the smallest sliver of it. A map was so small, but real life was so massive. The wind blew through the air, the scent of the sea carried away and overpowered Sunberth's distinct miasma. Another reason he liked the docks, the sea was a far more pleasing scent up close then from within the city. Even then, it never really left now, did it? He had been here long enough that he was nearly nose blind to it thankfully, especially in the bad areas. But still, there was a limit to that a thought that was entirely unpleasing.

Thankfully something else caught his attention, looked like a boat from a Svefra pod. Reminded him a little of that Ferry he had come to use rather often. With a curious gaze he was as it approached the very dock he sat at. A brief thought he wondered what their story was, why did they come into port? Meh, wasn't any of his business anyhow he figured. But still, he kept an eye on the boat, curious as ever.
Vasin
Player

Words: 290557
Joined roleplay: December 7th, 2018, 10:03 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Kurin Fell on January 7th, 2019, 3:43 am

"Look like... like mess. Big mess." Kurin noted in Fratava, leaning against the railing. He pointed to a plume of smoke out west. "That is... fire? Lot of fire."

The Lia's daughter, Wayrin Maelstrom, smiled and bumped her shoulder against his. "Is very great big mess." She agreed in Common. "Bad place, terrible. You don't like, can turn around, go back fast and quick to pretty Zeltiva. Maybe even only pay half mizas for this trip."

There were gales of laughter from the Svefra around them at that, though Kurin wasn't sure which was the joke: Kurin paying for a round trip without ever disembarking, or the idea of giving a discount. He joined in anyways, chuckling as he continued to study the city drawing closer in the horizon. It was a mess of a city, all right, all scattered streets and filthy buildings. No government, no infrastructure, and the only powers around were the constantly shifting gangs, if the Maelstroms had told him right.

It was perfect. The kind of place where an evisceration here, a murder there, wouldn't go out of place, and no one would ever come looking for him. "Is fine, will survive." Besides, he didn't have the coin for a trip back. For better or worse, he was stuck here now. Wayrin patted him on the back; her tavan, an otter, patted his thigh. Smiling at them both, he watched a few ticks more, then excused himself to his cabin to pack.

By the time he emerged, they were docking, and the Svefra were beginning to bring their goods out, presumably to sell at the market. Wayrin and her lover joined him as he made his way among the crew, saying his goodbyes to the friends he'd made among them, and walked him off the ship. Wayrin spoke in Fratava too rapid for him to keep up with. "We'll be around a few more days, but after that it'll easily be a year before we're back on this side of the Suvan." Rainbow translated.

"Then I suppose this is goodbye, my friend." He clasped arms with Wayrin, smiling softly, then turned to Rainbow.

"A pleasure having you on board, Kurin." She shook his hand as well.

"The pleasure was mine." He gestured to her injured leg. "Don't forget, change those bandages when they get wet, and keep the wound clean, alright?"

"Is the ocean clean?"

"Probably not around this city. I can't keep you out of the water, I suppose, so just rinse it off after you're done."

And with that, he waved goodbye as they stepped back onto the ship, and he headed out to the docks.

"Now." He sighed. "Where the petch is an inn?"
Kurin Fell
Player

Words: 20608
Joined roleplay: December 26th, 2018, 10:47 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Vasin on January 13th, 2019, 9:47 pm

"Looking for an inn friend?" a voice came directed towards Kurin. Vasin had watched Kurin as he had exited the ship and spoken with Wayrin . Vasin was a rather curious sort and had also taken note as the crew unloaded the cargo. He had not caught everything to two of them said, but he had heard a thing or two. His need for an inn being the most apparent to him. Usually, he wouldn't bother, but Vasin had thought back to what Kelski said and how every little bit helps. Couldn't hurt to lend a hand to a new arrival. Plus, one never knew when an opportunity could arise.

He would stand up as he looked over Kurin quietly."Never been to Sunberth before eh?" he asked as he would stand there considering him. The population of Sunberth was in constant flux, people arrived and left and people were born and died. If he was new here is wondered if this stranger would leave when he realized fully what Sunberth was about. Or maybe he would stay and establish himself. Meh, he was probably putting too much thought into it. Besides, he expected that they would more than likely not see each other again, or this new arrival would disregard him.
Vasin
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Kurin Fell on January 19th, 2019, 12:00 pm

Kurin startled slightly as a response came to his rhetorical question. Turning, he found the speaker rising to greet him, a tall, burly man with a thick beard and Suvan blue eyes. He hesitated for a moment, thinking of the Svefra's stories about new visitors getting robbed and left for dead by opportunistic locals. On the other hand, aimlessly wandering around the city looking for an inn seemed like an even worse idea. So he turned a friendly smile to the man, nodding. "You've got me; This is my first time in the city, and the pod who brought me here usually stay on their Palivar, so I couldn't exactly get directions from any of them." He ran his eyes over the taller man, evaluating him. The stranger was fit, and more likely than not, stronger than Kurin was, but there was no deceit in his eyes that he could see. Kurin could afford to take a risk. No one got anywhere in life by being too scared to act. "If you could give me directions or guide me to an inn, I'd appreciate it."

Hitching his bag a little more securely over his shoulders, he extended a hand to the stranger. "Kurin Fell, of Zeltiva. A pleasure to meet you..." He trailed off, raising an eyebrow in question as a way of asking the man's name.
Kurin Fell
Player

Words: 20608
Joined roleplay: December 26th, 2018, 10:47 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Vasin on February 1st, 2019, 4:07 pm

Vasin smiled in a friendly manner, this was going better than when he usually was the one to approach strangers. This person, they had not been tainted by Sunberth yet. Rather optimistic of people, even if they had heard the stories. He thought back to what Kelski said, every bit counts. Prior to meeting Kelski he might have more casually considered him a mark. Maybe even before he got steady work, as it was true for the most part that in Sunberth one was either a predator or prey. He extended his hand to meet theirs. They took hold with a stern and steady handshake."A pleasure to meet you Kurin Fell, of Zeltiva." he said repeating back how they had introduced themselves in full."I am Vasin, of..." he said thinking for a moment of his place of origin."Sunberth." he left it at that as they ended the handshake."Good thing I happened upon you then. I know a few good places to stay here. Been to them a few times myself." he said with a nod before looking back to their ship."Usually safer to stay on their ship after all." he said before looking back to Kurin.

"Let's see..." Vasin thought for a moment stroking his beard."There are a few taverns here. All of different quality. If you just want a place to sleep a few nights then there is always The Drunken Fish." he said with a thought."The people there are rough. But if you keep your nose clean they won't bother ya. Or well, don't look drunks in the eye of course." he said with a slight laugh."But if you want a place with more people, and a bit more lively then I would suggest The Pig's Foot Tavern, but problem is that there might not be vacancies since it is rather popular of course." he said making his suggestions known."I can give you a little tour around each of the Taverns. Help you get a feel for them of course." he said with the suggestion."What brings you to Sunberth anyhow?" he asked thinking that might help him find a place to stay.
Vasin
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Mizahar Grader (1)