Solo [Tain's Studio] Concept Work?

A New Angle

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

[Tain's Studio] Concept Work?

Postby Martini Elwood on January 18th, 2019, 6:41 am

5th of Winter, 518AV
13th Bell, 10th Chime

The morning had been kind to Martini. She’d woken up refreshed, watered the Hyacinth seeds, and made her way to Tain’s without getting lost. The small smile that caressed her lips could only be such a teller of her good mood. Just as she pushed open the door to Tain’s art studio she made her way to a more secluded area. Before she had settled the Bag off her shoulders, Tain himself was next to her. He seemed to contemplate something before clearing his throat to grab the brunette’s attention.

“Mm… Martini, was it?”

A nod.

“Good good, I think I have a job you might find interesting. If you’re up for it, that is?” Oh, was she! While the brunette was aware Tain dispensed clients to artists he thought would fit the job, Martini had never been selected. She supposed as a budding artist that was to be expected: who would want a newbie with little experience after all. She thought it grand that Tain had seen her as worthy of a job finally - she’d been getting random, sporadic clients form the streets to make a living for the most part. Nothing to be proud of really, just small odd jobs that paid the rent. She longed for something a bit more though.

“Yes, of course I’d be interested!” Shyke, was that too quick? She bit the inside of her cheek, but sagged in relief when Tain simply smiled and gestured for her to follow. Martini pulled the strap of her pack over her shoulder and moved to follow. She tried her best to contain the nerves and the flow of excitement that seemed to consume her. Tain led her to table and they where he gestured for her to take a seat. She did so with little hesitation. Tain sat across form her and spoke clearly, business mode activated.

“So the client would like some portraits and a few concepts sketches for some weapons. They need to be detailed as best you can - if all goes well they’d like to pay you in full. I’m sure I’ve seen you draw some portraits already - though the concepts will be a bit harder I think. The client will probably be really specific.” Tain explained thoughtfully as he recalled the clients conversation with himself. They’d be here soon, between the next bell or so - He wanted Martini prepared it seemed. He mentioned a few more things such as where they’d be meeting and then they exchanged goodbyes as Martini thanked him for the opportunity.

“Oh yes, before it’s forgotten. It might be worth it to invest in a portfolio - some clients would like to see examples of your work before they settle on the artist if you understand. There’s a decent lace to by binders and such, it’s called the Good Book. If inside the Zintia peak if you’re interested.”

“Thank you, I’ll be sure to find my way there then.” Martini offered a last smile before Tain left her. In her mind she was praising every god she knew, what good fortune after all! She’d been assigned a job by Tain himself and she intended to do it right. She taken out her journal just so when the client arrived she could take notes. Tain had mentioned they’d arrive within the bell so she simply stayed where he’d lead her.

“Would you be Miss Martini?” A strong, feminine voice spoke behind her. She turned to view a young woman, maybe three to four years above herself with short black hair. She smiled and extended her hand to the woman. The clients grasp was firm but gentle, as if she held a lot of power in them that she was holding back. Her olive skin was littered with small scratches, and when Martini looked at the hand in her own so were her hands and arms.

“Yes, that would be me. But please, Martini is fine. It's a pleasure miss..?”

“Hinma, just Hinma. The pleasure is mine.”

“Please, have a seat. I hear you want a portrait and a few weapons concepts? Excuse me for a moment, I’ll be writing down the information as to be accurate as possible. To be fair I haven’t done many weapon sketches.” She began as Hinma seated herself across the table. Hinma frowned at this and Martini realized that it probably wasn’t the best to start with ‘I’m not good at what you’re asking of me’ for commissions. She smiled nervously and shook her head as she corrected herself. “T-that is to say I’m more experienced in portraits. I have experience with concepts however so it can’t be too hard.”

“I see. I’m looking to get progress photos actually - I want to have a reminder of how far I’ve progressed as I get into my training.” Martini paused but Hinma didn’t give her the chance to ask as she answered the question swiftly. “I have entered the Ranks of the Shinya.”

“I believe I’ve heard of them, but as a newly situated Lhavitian I’m afraid my knowledge is limited. If you wouldn’t mind I’d like as much information as possible.” Hinma seemed to perk at Martini’s interest and nodded. A ‘very well’ left her lips and Martini opened her journal to the last page just so she could memorize some of the information she was listening too.
3/3 Threads
If you are grading a thread I participated in I'd love feedback or improvement notes on the writing itself <3
Martini Elwood
Painting away Anguish

Words: 133955
Joined roleplay: June 16th, 2017, 2:19 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1)

Postby Martini Elwood on January 19th, 2019, 5:36 am

“The Shinya can sometimes be referred to as the enforcers. They make sure the laws are followed and the city is safe. In this view, the Seiza are the judges of such crimes. They oversee trials of wrongdoers and make decisions based on the facts.” Hinma spoke with passion, as if explaining the most amazing thing in the world. In more than one way Martini was similar - her thoughts toward her job were very passionate and loving. Hinma seemed to be a reflection of that with her position in the Shinya. So the Shinya were like the Sylirian Knights of Lhavit then. They made sure everyone obeyed laws and seeming brought those who didn’t into custody for the Seiza to judge. It was so much like the order, it reminded her of home.

Martini nodded, making mental note that the Shinya were of importance to the city.

“Thank you for elaborating, you’re very passionate - I like that. I wish you the best in all your training,” Martini began, her words slow as she chose them carefully. Her goal was to show her appreciation as well as her support - praise could only help those who worked hard after all. “On the business side, I’d like to hear more about your ideas for the weapon sketches? And by progress photos I assume you want to look back and say, ‘oh, I looked like that then’ correct?”

“Yes, I’d like full body illustrations. I’d prefer someone who can show the contours and muscles that I lack. If I like what I see I will no doubt be back for more of these progress shots. This would be a continuous meeting at certain intervals.” Hinma was clear on her expectations it seemed. She wanted to this to be a one person project then, where the same person drew her every time. That in itself was a big order. They would need to meet somewhere as well.

“And did you want these illustrations n-nude? We could always have wrappings around your exposed body? I understand if you’d like to go clothed, but if you want your contours and muscles clearly defied in the drawings it would be best to do it nude.” She could only hope that Hinma didn’t recognize her stutter. It would be hard to explain that she’d never used a nude model. She’d heard of it sure - she just… couldn’t bring herself to do it. But this was business so she steeled herself to look the ebony in the face as she spoke.

“Wrappings would be nice.” Martini nodded and flipped back to the first unused page in her journal and began to jotted down the notes. She hummed as she took in Hinma’s words, the woman knew what she wanted.

Client: Hinma
Date Taken: 5th of Winter, 518AV
Means: Charcoal sketches, Black Ink
What:
1.) Progress illustrations for training. Try to get in her subtle contours and muscles. She’ll be modeling nude with wrappings. These art for Hinma to look back on, so getting them accurate as possible is a must.

“Okay and the weapon sketches, what are your ideas for those?”

“I want twin Kukri. I’m still practicing dual use, but I would like them to be custom made with some modifications. You’re probably thinking I could have gone to a weapon-smith instead, but I’d like to have them drawn out and planned before I do.” Martini nodded and wrote down a bit more on her notes.

What:
1.) Progress illustrations for training. Try to get in her subtle contours and muscles. She’ll be modeling nude with wrappings. These art for Hinma to look back on, so getting them accurate as possible is a must.
2.) Research the Kukri, find some basic ones. Hinma wants something somewhat decorative - easy on the eyes. Functionality is a concern - maybe try to view some basic uses for the Kukri before deciding.

“And it’s a blade correct?” Hinma nodded and Martini placed her charcoal on the table near the open journal. Now on to the negotiation… Which was nerve racking for her as she hadn’t done it often. Most of her previous works were favors. She hadn’t charged anything for them. “For the Kukri I could probably go around six or seven kina, the fully body illustrations would need to be conducted somewhere private with you present as well for modeling. I could do it for three to five kina. It would be best to do it at my home if that’s okay with you as well.”

Hinma puased as she considered Martini’s offer. “Hmm. I could probably do five kina the kukri designs. The progress illustrations are a bit high as well, considering this is an over time contract.”

“With all respect and no offense meant, I have to say that the illustration is quite cheap as it is. I would charge per illustration of course, but a head to toe drawing takes time. It will most likely take at least two or three days to finish one full illustration considering basic needs such as water, food, drink and rest. At the minimum for the Kukri I could do six kina. Remember your asking me to make a custom design and I still need few days to do my research and weapon studies are not inexpensive.”

“You make a good point,” Hinma hardened her stare at Martini who had to swallow thickly. She hoped she hadn’t said to much - had she angered Hinma? The woman looked angry! She surely couldn’t under price herself… could she? No, no, she was a valued artist and she would not be intimidated. “W-”

“I suppose someone else could handle your commission, but I guarantee the price will be steeper or hop from person to person unless you can find a friend with artistic skill.” Their was an air of hesitant finality in Martini’s tone that turned Hinma’s angry looking stare thoughtful. Please don’t be angry, please don’t be angry, please-

“Very well. Six Kina for the Kukri and four kina for the progress illustrations. Where is your residence?” Martini sagged with relief and cleared the tension in her throat. Thankfully she managed to convince Hinma without a bloody fight. She doubted she could take Hinma in a battle anyway - wits or otherwise. She nodded and spoke.

“Mm, thank you for your understanding. I currently reside in the Solar Winds. If possible we could meet during Noon rest? There would be more quiet and less disturbance this way.” Hinma nodded and Martini exchanged her apartment information with the woman as she wrote down their meeting date and otherwise.

What:
2.) Research the Kukri, find some basic ones. Hinma wants something somewhat decorative - easy on the eyes. Functionality is a concern - maybe try to view some basic uses for the Kukri before deciding.

Details: Meeting at noon rest on the 7th for the first illustration. Maybe research the Kukri between now and then. Possibly test it out? Just observe some of the others using them, maybe the weapon-smith would know a bit?

NotePrices are not to be added to ledger as it is covered in wages.
3/3 Threads
If you are grading a thread I participated in I'd love feedback or improvement notes on the writing itself <3
Martini Elwood
Painting away Anguish

Words: 133955
Joined roleplay: June 16th, 2017, 2:19 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1)

Postby Madeira Dusk on February 4th, 2019, 12:27 am

Grades Awarded!

Don't forget to edit/delete your grade request!

Martini Elwood

Skills

• Socialization: 2xp
  • Observation: 2xp
  • Rhetoric: 2xp
  • Planning: 1xp
  • Writing: 1xp
  • Negotiation: 1xp
  • Persuasion: 1xp

Lores
  • Lore of a first assigned client
  • The Good Book: a bookbinder on Zintia
  • Hinma: Shinya in training
  • Shinya: basic overview
  • Negotiation: reasoned comparison
  • Persuasion: heading off an argument

Awards & Retribution

Notes
Cant wait to see where this goes! Poor Martini's first Lhavit commission. <3
Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Words: 1599220
Joined roleplay: October 11th, 2016, 7:45 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (3)
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) Lhavit Seasonal Challenge (1)
2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)