Solo The Art of Tarot

[Job Thread]Dev'Ania returned to the Alheas Crone.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

The Art of Tarot

Postby Dev'Ania on January 20th, 2019, 8:13 pm

24th of Winter 518 AV

After a couple given days to think about her apprenticeship, Dev’Ania was ready to return to the Lonely Shack. She knew she would have a more stressful, role, but it would arise later. For now, she would stick to the basics of the great, interesting skill of fortune telling.

Dev woke from her peaceful sleep, got ready for the day, and left her apartment. She made her way through the city, into the Alheas Park, in search of the Lonely Shack. She had partially remembered what Cala mentioned at the end of their last meeting, Something about the shack being in a different location? Maybe Dev’Ania should have listened closer. How is a building able to appear in different locations? The world of magic forever interested the Konti girl.

She walked through the forest, the morning sky showing above the roofs of trees. It wasn’t long until she found the shack, much to her relief. Entering the shack, floor creaking beneath her, she called out for the old woman. There was silence. Dev’Ania approached the backroom, walking through the colorful fabrics that were hung up. Cala sat at her small table, pipe in her hand, puffs of smoke around her. Her snake like features were more prominent in the old woman today. Her glistening, wrinkled skin showing on her hands and face.

“Hello, dear. I have been expecting you back.” Cala took a puff of smoke from the pipe before setting it down on the table. After a small cough, she continued to speak, “Come sit, dear.” The old Dhani woman gestured for Dev'Ania to take a seat across from her. Dev's slim body slid onto the small wooden chair with her legs crossed comfortably.

A candle, sat centered on the table, dimly lit the tiny room. In front of the old woman sat a small adorned box. Splashes of the colors purple and black covered the box, accompanied by patterns of various shapes and designs. Cala pushed over the small box, nodding for Dev'Ania to open it. “It is a gift from me to you,” Cala said. The Konti promptly opened the box, a smile spread across her face. Inside the box, contained a deck of purple tarot cards, each lined with golden patterns.

Dev'Ania pulled the cards close to her heart, expressing her appreciation for the gift. She immediately became excited.“Thank you so much, Cala. These are beautiful.” The young woman laid the cards out on the clothed table. “These are so beautiful, I can't thank you enough.”

The smoking pipe back in her mouth, the Dhani woman gave a slight grin. Dev flipped through the cards, admiring their elaborate designs and artwork.

“I will need to show you how to read them and the meaning of each card. It is very important to become acquainted with your cards to become more connected with them. You will need to transfer your energy from within, to form a connection with your cards.”

WC: 502

Last edited by Dev'Ania on February 18th, 2019, 10:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dev'Ania
The Future Awaits

Words: 137250
Joined roleplay: November 21st, 2018, 11:41 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

The Art of Tarot

Postby Dev'Ania on January 23rd, 2019, 6:02 am

Dev’Ania sat in the small, wooden chair and continued to flip through each card. Still, she was amazed at how beautiful they were. Their golden patterns glimmering in the warm, red glow of the candles. She read the names of each as she flipped each over, putting them into a separate pile.

“There are many different types of cards, each having their own meaning. There are Major Arcana and Minor Arcana. Minor Arcana contains wands, cups, swords, and pentacles.” Cala said as she took the cards from in front of Dev and began to shuffle them together. The young Konti sat back in her chair silently observing the Dhani arrange the cards with her slim, wrinkled fingers. After thoroughly shuffling the cards, Cala placed them back in front od Dev’Ania. "Now, take three cards from the top of the pile - for the past, present, and future. Place them from the left to the right, revealing their face.”

The young woman did as she was instructed. The first card depicted a heart being penetrated by three swords. “What do you presume this card means?” Cala asked. Dev examined the card, studying its every feature.

“Well, it shows a heart and three swords stabbing it - the Three of Swords - so, it must have to do with heartache or love loss?” Dev was surprised at the truthfulness of the card. Indeed, she had had her heart broken. First with the death of her father, when she was a young child, then with the death of her mother a couple years ago. Her eyes began to tear up, but she quickly held them back to continue, wiping her red-turned face swiftly with her hand.

The next card depicted a standing woman holding a pentacle, the bottom reading ‘Page of Pentacles’. Dev scanned the picture as she did the other. Only this time, she could not draw an inference as to what it meant. A blank expression stayed on the Konti’s face for a few ticks before Cala finally helped her. “The Page of Pentacles shows that you will become better at the things you do. More opportunities will arise for you. Some having to do with your kina.” The brown-skinned woman gave a small grin. “It seems that you are working hard for what you want, my dear.”

“Yes. I am trying to, Cala. What do the cards say about my future?” asked Dev, curious as to what the next card meant.

“Well, it shows the card of lovers.”

Dev’Ania’s head perked up at the mention of love. It was exactly what she was hoping to hear. To be loved by someone was all she wanted. For love can cure anything from a damaged heart to the feeling of being lonely. With love, there was a possibility of children, meaning more love. Suddenly, the thought of her dead parents faded way and hope for a future filled with love entered her thoughts. Her slight frown became a wide smile, showing her white teeth. Dev’Ania felt reassured about the potential stability of her future. A future that included a loving husband and children.

WC: 518

Last edited by Dev'Ania on February 18th, 2019, 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dev'Ania
The Future Awaits

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

The Art of Tarot

Postby Dev'Ania on February 18th, 2019, 10:41 pm

The feeling of love flushed Dev’s face, turning it a bright red. She contained her excitement as she returned the cards back into the deck. “Okay, can we try again?” Dev'Ania was starting to like fortune telling even more. She wanted to learn all she could about the art. Cala nodded her head with approval to the Konti’s question, prompting Dev to begin shuffling the deck of cards in her hand.

Excited to try reading the cards once more, Dev’Ania placed the pile in front of herself. She placed her webbed fingers on top of the cards and closed her eyes, as a way to connect with the cards. Admittedly, she started to feel silly but she wanted to have faith in the cards. After a few ticks, she clapped her hands together and rubbed them together with a whispered “Okay.” The wrinkled lips of the old woman spoke, “Do it as if I am who you are reading. Don’t be afraid to change up your techniques, make it your own. Remember, my dear, you could choose to be truthful, or quite the opposite.” Dev looked at Cala with a grin and nodded her head.

Dev spoke in a softer, more mysterious voice than usual. “I think another three-card reading will do, don’t you.” She gave a questioning look to Cala, who returned it with a simple nod. Dev’Ania was enjoying having the chance to do a card reading on the old woman. She was amazed by the mysterious nature of the woman and knew that there was much information that she would not be able to learn about Cala, but maybe the cards would reveal some things about her. “I am going to tell your past, present, and future through these cards. Now the first thing you shall do is separate this deck of cards into three piles, from the left to the right.” Cala did as the Konti told her. Dev’Ania pointed to the first pile. “This is your past. Now flip the top card and place it above the pile.” The old woman’s wrinkled finger took up the top card and slowly placed it above the first pile of cards, the face showing. “Ah, the Knight of Swords. This is showing me much ambition in your past. You seem to have been very driven to succeed in all you could achieve.”

Dev’Ania moved her hands in dramatic circular motions over the cards. “Let us move on to your present. I am feeling much from this card.” Cala flipped the card as before. “The Ten of Pentacles. You currently very successful in what you are doing. It has proven to be a very fortunate career that has been a way of living for many years. You have contributed greatly to your community and those surrounding you. I can see this success carrying into your foreseeable future.” Dev’Ania smiled at Cala. She had, of course, made up a meaning for the card as she had done with the others. She wanted to let Cala know of her appreciation. She knew that Cala understood her appreciation, but there was still an urge to continue showing her. The young woman still felt the nature of the Dhani to be somewhat mother-like.

WC: 540

Last edited by Dev'Ania on February 18th, 2019, 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dev'Ania
The Future Awaits

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

The Art of Tarot

Postby Dev'Ania on February 18th, 2019, 10:45 pm

The pair of women had now moved on to the next card. “Let's see what the future holds.” The last card Cala flipped over depicted a woman dressed in fancy robes holding a crystal ball. The name if the card read, The High Priestess. “I had a feeling this card would come through.” She pointed to the different depictions on the card, piecing together a meaning for it. “This woman is the High Priestess. She represents the presence of divine knowledge and greatness. Though the robes around the woman show that she possesses a great deal of secrecy in the things she does.”

“That was a very good reading,” Cala noted. “It is clear that you have retained the things I have taught you.”

“Thank you, Cala. I really do appreciate all that you have taught me.”

“Why don’t we take a break for today and have some fresh tea.” The old snake-like woman rose from her seat and walked over to a shelf containing boxes of tea. She opened one of the boxes to find that it was empty. “Oh, it looks like I have run out of tea leaves. I will go fetch some, you just stay here and wait until I return.” Dev’Ania nodded her head and watched as Cala left the room and listened to her leave the shack.

Dev was beginning to feel a little sleepy, so she laid her head down on the small table. After a couple of chimes, a knock was heard on the front door of the shack. Surely it wasn’t Cala. Why would she knock on her own door? Dev’Ania perked up in her chair at the sound of the front door opening. There was a visitor and Cala still wasn’t back. It was up to Dev to tell the fortune of this visitor.

She quickly switched into the chair the old woman usually sat in. “Hello. In here.” Dev called out to the mysterious visitor. She watched as a tall man walked through the opening into the small, cramped room. “Take a seat and I shall tell your fortune." The man was hesitant but sat down after a few ticks. As Dev looked at the man, she noticed how his skin glimmered a dark purple under the candlelight. He was clearly an Akalak, a race Dev had been familiar with after living in Riverfall for many years.

“What would you like to learn about today?" Dev’Ania asked the man as she shuffled the cards between her webbed fingers. The man sat there unsure of what he wanted, as anyone would be in a situation such as this one. “I think a simple three card spread of your life will suffice.” Dev’Ania finished shuffling the cards and like the previous reading, she placed them in front of the man. “Divide this deck into three other piles - one for your past, present, and your future.” The man did as she said. There was a hint of skepticism in his eyes, but Dev could also tell that he was curious. Dev looked to the ceiling, closed her eyes, and waved her hands over the three piles. The Akalak man sat watching curiously.

WC: 531

Dev'Ania
The Future Awaits

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

The Art of Tarot

Postby Dev'Ania on February 18th, 2019, 10:48 pm

After being instructed to do so, the man flipped over the first card of the pile for his past. The card showed five different hands holding interlocked wands. “Five of Wands. This card shows much conflict and tension you have experienced in your past. Possibly as a young one, or even just a couple days ago. Does this sound right?”

The man shook his head in confirmation. “Yes, it does. I usually conflicted with a brother of mine as a child and still today.” The once skeptical look turned to surprise and shock. His eyes widened revealing cold, icy eyes.

Dev’Ania smirked at the man’s surprised look. She knew that he would stop being doubtful after the first card. “Well, let us move on to your present. This is what is currently happening in your life.” The now flipped card depicted a person standing between two tall sticks. “The Two of Wands. It looks like you are drawn to the suit of wands, aren’t ya. You seem to be in the process of planning for your future - whether it is planning your career or love life. There will be many discoveries about yourself.”

The man was relaxed in his seat now. He focused his eyes between the piles of tarot cards and Dev, looking away each time Dev saw him staring at her. Dev’Ania was enjoying giving a reading to a stranger for the first time. This was a big step in her career and she was happy to be on her own, but she was still curious about where Cala disappeared to. It couldn’t have taken that long to fetch tea leaves. Anyway, she continued with the tarot card reading.

“It is now time for your foreseeable future. Now, you must remember that the future is constantly changing with every action you make. It can change at the snap of a finger.” Dev’Ania snapped her fingers as the words flowed from her mouth. “Flip the card of the last pile.” The man flipped the card and watched Dev’Ania at the same time. He laid it down slowly in front of the pile and looked down at it. The bottom of the card read, Ten of Cups. It depicted a man, woman, and child together under an arch of ten cups.

“It looks like your future will be filled with divine love and harmony. The card shows that you will have a loving relationship and possibly children.” The Konti had a warm smile spread across her face. It was nice to see good things on the cards. This was why she loved fortune telling. It was like being a healer, but by using cards.

With the reading over, Dev’Ania began to return the cards into one deck. “How was your reading today?” she asked the Akalak.

“I believe it was very pleasant. I hope to have another soon.” The man’s voice was deep like an echo in a cave.

“Thank you. I hope to see you again.” Dev’Ania rose from her seat as the man did and continued to smile at him. She followed him as he exited the shack, watching him walk back through the park. Shortly after, Cala returned with a box of fresh herbs.

“Shall we have tea now?”

WC: 544

Dev'Ania
The Future Awaits

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

The Art of Tarot

Postby Madeira Dusk on February 27th, 2019, 11:17 pm

Grades Awarded!

Don't forget to edit/delete your grade request!

Dev'Ania

Skills
  • Observation: 5xp
  • Socialization: 3xp
  • Fortune Telling: 4xp
  • Philosophy: 1xp
  • Acting: 3xp
  • Leadership: 2xp

Lores
  • The Lonely Shack: can move locations
  • Fortune Telling: Major Arcana
  • Fortune Telling: Minor Arcana
  • Tarot: meaning of the three of swords
  • Tarot: meaning of the Page of Pentacles
  • Philosophy: love can heal a damaged heart
  • Tarot: meaning of the Knight of Swords
  • Acting: the art of showmanship

Awards & Retribution
+Tarot Deck

Notes
It's so cool to see Dev on the job! And I love how you're leaning into the performance part of fortune telling, and filling in Dev's incomplete knowledge with guesswork and showboating. It feels very real. :nod:
Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Words: 1599220
Joined roleplay: October 11th, 2016, 7:45 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (3)
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) Lhavit Seasonal Challenge (1)
2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)