Closed [Surya Plaza] Joyous Times (Nemore)

Martini meets a peculiar preformer.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

[Surya Plaza] Joyous Times (Nemore)

Postby Martini Elwood on January 19th, 2019, 12:42 pm

20th of Winter, 518

Surya Plaza was a light with music and festivities - the smell of baked goods and random food stops wafted into the area as performers huddled and prepared. It wasn’t a major holiday or anything - no, it was simply in Lhvaitian spirits to celebrate every day and night fully. The endless bustle of the crowds and voices mingled together and created new sound and sights to see. The masses this day had gathered on random occasion - no reason other than to practice or to enjoy the day to hold such a big shebang.

Martini herself had her hair wrapped as neatly as possible into a bun that sat on the back of her head. She had donned her usual attire - a blue blouse and dark pants. She didn’t exactly like wearing gloves when the weather was so good, but sometimes it was better safe than sorry so gloves rested over her fingers. She had her dagger strapped to her waist and her backpack slung over her shoulder with her toolkit and sketchbook inside - along with a couple Kina in case hunger or impulse struck.

She had applied the face powder to hers eyes in the mirror at home - she had been losing the dark circles but they were still somewhat present. Again, it was better safe than sorry. She moistened her lips in excitement - such a big crowd would surely be drawn to the best performances. She could hear a mixture of sounds form her current position but none were really defined to her ears. She looked a bout, taking in the squared off area of the plaza as she walked.

She been working rather hard lately and as part of her attempt to reconnect with her social side she’d decided breaks and outings should be more frequent. It was a great way to relive the stress of constant work after all. She tented to tunnel vision when faced with work situations - it just wasn’t healthy. And lately it had taken a toll on her body. She’d been more on edge, more fidgety, more groggy. The state mate it hard to work let alone think. She hummed thoughtfully as a vendor shoved some kind of bun into her face.

“Baked sweet bread, lovely? A tasty treat for just 3 kina.” She smiled but shook her head, thanking the vendor but kindly refusing his offer even though the treat smelled divine. They nodded and smiled anyway as she walked away. Lhavit was such a nice city - there was almost no immediate danger to it and the people were - for the most part - very kind and courteous. It was truly a gem among cities! She had barely walked in and yet there were kindly faces and people enjoying steamed buns and other goodies all around her. Everyone seemed so peaceful and joyous.
3/3 Threads
If you are grading a thread I participated in I'd love feedback or improvement notes on the writing itself <3
Martini Elwood
Painting away Anguish

Words: 133955
Joined roleplay: June 16th, 2017, 2:19 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1)

Postby Nemore on January 19th, 2019, 2:07 pm

20th Winter 518

Nemore had decided that it was finally time to look for work, to learn to make his own living. In Lhavit there were many oppertunities for him to make a start in various careers. Baking, smithing, gardening and many more besides were open to him. But the young Kelvic had no intrest in any of that, his passion was performance, in the music and dancing that he loved so much.

And Lhavit was never short reasons to perform. The city held a great many days of festivals and celebrations and today was one such day. He had made his way to the Surya plaza, taking great care to make himself look respectable. He had roughly sown up the holes in his shirt and even managed to make a necklace out of flowers he'd collected. Yes, today he was going to impress people.

When Nemore arrived in the plaza, he found it abuzz with the sounds of music and laughter. Great crowds of people of all kinds roamed around between the many stalls and displays. Large crowds had always intimidated Nemore. In his mind, the many sights and sounds bled together into a faceless mass. Memories of the slave markets he was born into flashed through his thoughts.

He grew weak as his thoughts overwhelmed him. It was too much, he had never been to such a gathering alone before, why did he think he could do it now. The weary boy quickly made his way to a narrow side street, away from the hustle and bustle, where he sat down and began to play his pan pipes to calm himself down.

It was a soft and gentle tune, mostly drowned out by the loud noises coming from plaza but still loud enough to be heard, just barely. This was his favorite tune, Song of the Wildwood, it was called. It was one he made himself. It was an expression of his heart, a musical representation of the primordial wild he often saw in his dreams, the place where he felt he would truly belong. It captured the feelings of peace and comfort but also longing and excitement.

The music slowly and gently drifted out into plaza...
Nemore
Player

Words: 3158
Joined roleplay: December 17th, 2018, 3:26 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Martini Elwood on January 19th, 2019, 2:37 pm

Martini was quick to drown in the festivities. There was something calming yet overwhelming about so many people being in one space. It was reassuring to know that there were others around her - possibly people who she could depend on to help her. Overwhelmingly though the sheer volume made it almost impossible to discern voice from voice - the mingling of sounds blurred and dulled in her ears.

If the brunette was honest the loudness and husky voices blurring together was giving her a headache. She was a city girl yes, but she'd never been in social situations where she could barely hear her own thoughts - it was much to loud now that she thought about it. Lhvaitians were used to the noise she supposed.

Ducking behind a few vendor stalls and into a more secluded area with less music and chatter, she breathed a small sigh of relief. She rubbed at her temples to soothe the pulse that had started to wreck havoc there. She stayed for a few chimes - it wasn't like she had any where to be specifically. The hum of music seemed to slowly fade the father she progressed - instead it was replaced with a low thrum of off key rhythm. It was only a tad bit annoying to hear such off key music in amongst such talent - she recognized people had to start somewhere.

She followed the tune to it's source finding a man dressed in cloak and a patchwork sewn shirt. He seemed to be trying to soothe himself - his eyes distant as played with the strings of whatever instrument that was in his hands. She hummed thoughtfully, lower than the music so that the man could not hear her - or she assumed he couldn't. His hair was a striking red and his eyes appeared unnatural. She gasped, a sharp intake of surprise as she accidentally voice her thoughts.

"Your eyes, they're not... normal." She immediately threw her hands to her lips, a blush on her cheeks. Nice going - abnormal eyes were the least of strange things she'd seen. She scolded herself and bashfully went to correct herself. "I mean, they're beautiful - No, that is too say I've never seen anything like it? Oh gods I'm - I didn't mean to insult you..!"
3/3 Threads
If you are grading a thread I participated in I'd love feedback or improvement notes on the writing itself <3
Martini Elwood
Painting away Anguish

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Postby Nemore on February 3rd, 2019, 2:57 pm

Nemore looked up the girl in front of him. "My eyes?" He put down his flute pipes. "They say the eyes are the window to the soul, I guess I have a strange soul." Nemore had often thought of matters of the soul, what made him what he is? What was he truly? An animal? A human? Something more? Something less? He knew this girl meant no harm but still she annoyed him.

He stood up and stared into the eyes in front of him, admiring the colour and shape "You have nicer eyes, you must have a noble soul." Nemore stood there for a few minutes more, staring into Martini's eyes as if he was trying to pierce her with his gaze. "What do you want?" he said as stepped back then forward once more
Nemore
Player

Words: 3158
Joined roleplay: December 17th, 2018, 3:26 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Martini Elwood on February 5th, 2019, 4:41 am

If Martini could tell she had annoyed the man opposite of her she would've backed off - her intention was not to be rude. She slid her gaze slid to her shoes bashfully as his words reached her ears. If the man was angry he didn't show it - what did he mean by windows to the soul? He was definitely odd if not intriguing.

"I was about the plaza and the mingle of voices and music got a tad overwhelming." She murmured. When she looked up she found the man was looking at her - maybe he could see something she couldn't but it was odd to have someone look at her so intensely. Was there something on her face? "I didn't mean to disturb you."

Martini bit the inside of her cheeks as she averted her gaze to ignore the eyes on her. She stayed in the tense quiet a few ticks before her gaze went back to the man's instrument of choice. "Where did you learn to play the... Instrument?"

She paused and realized she had no clue what it was. It looked nice and well taken care of, but she wasn't sure if she'd seen anything like it before. She collected herself quickly. She hadn't met many musicians and she definitely knew nothing about music or how to make it. She was sure that his tune was off though, it had sounded... off, to her ears. Perhaps he was a beginner trying to learn?
3/3 Threads
Martini Elwood
Painting away Anguish

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Postby Madeira Dusk on April 9th, 2019, 1:02 am

Grades Awarded!

Don't forget to edit/delete your grade request!

Martini Elwood

Skills
    ◾Cosmetology: 1xp
    ◾Observation: 2xp
    ◾Socialization: 2xp
  • Organization: 1xp

Lores
    ◾Location: Surya Plaza
    ◾Preparation: Better safe than sorry
    ◾Lhavitians: don't need holidays to celebrate
    ◾Cosmetology: using face powder to cover dark circles
    ◾Martini: gets headaches from loud crowds
    ◾Crowds are drawn to the best performances
    ◾Socialization: a social faux pas
  • Organization: preparing for the day

Awards & Retribution

Notes
This grade is brought to you by Dev'ania, who is hard at work practicing with me to become a grader. :D
Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Words: 1599220
Joined roleplay: October 11th, 2016, 7:45 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (3)
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) Lhavit Seasonal Challenge (1)
2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)